Led Zeppelin and the Mafia?

kingzoso

Does any know or think that Led Zeppelin (and/or Peter Grant had) ever had any ties or connections to the New York Mafia back in the 1970's? I do not mean any ties to the Mafia related to crime or participation in crime, but ties to the Mafia in relation to the gigs or recordings that LZ did when they were in New York City.

I read and watch a lot about the Mob and the influence that the Mafia had in New York and other major American cities. Supposedly, the NYC Mafia had interests in almost all aspects of life that could make all Five "Families" money. Besides the Unions, Construction, Drugs, Racketeering, etc... the Mafia was also into Music, any kind of music that could make them money. From hustling or extorting an artist or group, down to straight out robbery.

I recently read that Premier Talent founder Frank Barsalona (who has since recently passed away) had some ties to OC when he first starting his promotion company. Premier Talent and Frank Barsalona represented Led Zeppelin and dozens of other great artists.

Any thoughts, comments, opinions, truths, falses: anything you might or might not know about this topic.

Does any know or think that Led Zeppelin (and/or Peter Grant had) ever had any ties or connections to the New York Mafia back in the 1970's? I do not mean any ties to the Mafia related to crime or participation in crime, but ties to the Mafia in relation to the gigs or recordings that LZ did when they were in New York City.

I read and watch a lot about the Mob and the influence that the Mafia had in New York and other major American cities. Supposedly, the NYC Mafia had interests in almost all aspects of life that could make all Five "Families" money. Besides the Unions, Construction, Drugs, Racketeering, etc... the Mafia was also into Music, any kind of music that could make them money. From hustling or extorting an artist or group, down to straight out robbery.

I recently read that Premier Talent founder Frank Barsalona (who has since recently passed away) had some ties to OC when he first starting his promotion company. Premier Talent and Frank Barsalona represented Led Zeppelin and dozens of other great artists.

Any thoughts, comments, opinions, truths, falses: anything you might or might not know about this topic.

How does one answer that part of your question?

How does one answer that part of your question?

I was asking about anything anyone might know about this topic. That would also include any heresay or speculation. Besides, my point was this was back in the 1970's. If you might not know anything about this interesting topic, that is cool with me.

Like I mentioned, I know a lot about the Mafia because I read a lot of books about this subject, but I was asking if anyone had any thoughts about this.

Reggie29 makes a good point. The 1973 NYC robbery of Led Zeppelin's safe at the Drake Hotel could have been Mafia related.

I started this topic for any feedback, either + or -.

I am sure other members of this Forum have something to say about this. If not, that is also cool with me.

This is a topic probably best not delved into too much ....pretty much true corruption pervades the industry Totally OT but worth a read is Tommy James book for insight into his situation...probably applies to many...I get the impression Peter Grant stood up for the group and really didnt like the suits a whole lot...see SRTS. I am not sure tossing around the M word is always best. There are all kinds of dark figures in music...sometimes I think its why Robert Plant prefers the freedom of small venues and working with lesser known artists(in the rock world anyway) ...to be free of being told what to do, where, when and how much...

I think there is something possibly too this.

I mean, John Bindon was attached to the band. He was apparently no saint and connected to the London underworld.

Maybe there is a mafia connection on this side of the pond. Maybe one day a "made guy" will talk about it before his days are over.

I doubt that the members of the band/management had any direct involvement with any Mafia-related activity/people.

The people behind Concerts East/West, etc.? It wouldn't surprise me...I think someone connected Steve Weiss to the mob at one point...

I guess if there is no mafia, then these (supposed) five NYC "families":

Bonanno

Profaci/Columbo

Gambino

Genovese

Lucchesse

were just legitimate families with hundreds of associates and dozens of members who just happened to dabble in a little crime every now and then.

That is good to know.

Melcore,

In 'Trampled Underfoot' by Barney Hoskyns (UK Edition) at p 83, Richard Cole is quoted as saying, "...What we heard was that Steve's dad had worked for Meyer Lansky". On the same page, Jack Calmes (co-founder and head of Showco sound and lighting company) said, "...His (Weiss') father and family were associated and consiglieri for the mafia".

The people behind Concerts East/West, etc.? It wouldn't surprise me...I think someone connected Steve Weiss to the mob at one point...

This is from Wikipedia about Bindon:-

"... Bindon lived his hard man persona on and off screen. He was believed to be running protection rackets in West London pubs and have alleged connections to the Kray twins and the Richardson Gang. In the late 1970s in addition to acting work he provided security for actors and musicians, most notoriously for Led Zeppelin on their 1977 US tour, where he was sacked for brawling backstage. In 1978 Bindon was tried for the murder of London gangster Johnny Darke."

I think there is something possibly too this.

I mean, John Bindon was attached to the band. He was apparently no saint and connected to the London underworld.

Maybe there is a mafia connection on this side of the pond. Maybe one day a "made guy" will talk about it before his days are over.

Melcore,

In 'Trampled Underfoot' by Barney Hoskyns (UK Edition) at p 83, Richard Cole is quoted as saying, "...What we heard was that Steve's dad had worked for Meyer Lansky". On the same page, Jack Calmes (co-founder and head of Showco sound and lighting company) said, "...His (Weiss') father and family were associated and consiglieri for the mafia".

This is what Alan Callan had to say about Steve Weiss in 'Trampled Underfoot' on page 423:

"There was a moment after John's death when the band made an agreement with Atlantic that Steve negotiated. What he never declared was that he was a beneficiary of that deal. He remained a shareholder in the deal but he never declared it, so while he appeared to be negotiating on behalf of Peter and the band, he just wanted the deal to go through so he could take his piece out of it."

On same page of the same book, Sam Aizer commented that Weiss went underground sometime afterwards. When he died in 2008, Aizer looked for an obituary and couldn't find one.

What Callan accused Weiss of may not have been illegal but it certainly sounds unethical.

I seem to recall that Don Arden, infamous manager and father to Sharon Arden (Osbourne), and it may seem, an early "mentor" to Peter Grant, had some London Underworld connections in the music business. I would suppose that he was known as the "The Al Capone of Pop" for a reason. Don Arden may or may not have had any connections to the American Mafia, but he seems to have had the connections and the "muscle" of the London "Heavies".

I think that Peter Grant, under Ardens tutelage, took Arden's knowledge and instincts and used them years later to Led Zeppelin's advantage when dealing with promoters and anyone looking "to drain an extra nickel by exploiting Led Zeppelin".

• 2 weeks later...

If the drug habit the band had is even a quarter as bad as books and interviews have stated they were on the American tours in the 1970s,i'm pretty sure that cole had to deal with people connected to the mafia to keep the band supplied. he probably also had to deal with organized crime in England too because grant and cole had pretty bad cocaine habits,and cole had a smack habit worse as page's and Bonham's was in the end.other than dope,i dount that they had much to do with organized crime though cause it would not be in their best interest to do so.

If the drug habit the band had is even a quarter as bad as books and interviews have stated they were on the American tours in the 1970s,i'm pretty sure that cole had to deal with people connected to the mafia to keep the band supplied. he probably also had to deal with organized crime in England too because grant and cole had pretty bad cocaine habits,and cole had a smack habit worse as page's and Bonham's was in the end.other than dope,i dount that they had much to do with organized crime though cause it would not be in their best interest to do so.

According to Stephen Davis, they had a "coke lady" who distributed cocaine with a champagne chaser to the band and their entourage. He didn't give her name nor did he mention where she got her supply. Davis also inferred that Iggy Pop was Page's heroin connection during the 1975 tour.

According to Stephen Davis, they had a "coke lady" who distributed cocaine with a champagne chaser to the band and their entourage. He didn't give her name nor did he mention where she got her supply. Davis also inferred that Iggy Pop was Page's heroin connection during the 1975 tour.

Back in the 1970s,the biggest nyc dope dealers were mafia related,so i'm pretty sure that is where the guy got it,specifically through the ole French connection heroin network smugglers or the many Italian owned pizza shops and restaurants.

Archived