"No Quarter" 1977 with NO piano?

I used to have (and probably still do somewhere) a "No Quarter" from 1977 which has keyboards straight through, no piano.

The audience recording is hard to discern but I don't remember the date (I got it in a trade). I recently went through my stuff, and it does not appear to be from a circulating concert. Does anyone know what date this is from? I don't need another copy of it, but it would be interesting to know the concert.

No Quarter was normaly played through a Fender Rhoads replica that JPJ had for live shows... He would sometime s play the piano on the jam section that they did in 1977.

A good example of that was Knebworth, in wich the piano is really loud in the mix.

It is possible Jonesy may have played the Rhodes throughout a '77 "No Quarter" if there were issues with the grand piano on the night. Or in a case like Louisville where he got a little confused after playing the "Nutrocker" bit and then jumped back to the Rhodes ready to start the second verse of the song, forgetting Page still had a ten minute solo to play :lol: So JPJ started accompanying Page's big solo on the Rhodes than switched back to the piano at some point.

But I can see that's not what LedHed is talking about, so obviously if it is not from a 'circulating concert' it is one of the elusive Missing Seven shows.

Tell us more!

It is possible Jonesy may have played the Rhodes throughout a '77 "No Quarter" if there were issues with the grand piano on the night. Or in a case like Louisville where he got a little confused after playing the "Nutrocker" bit and then jumped back to the Rhodes ready to start the second verse of the song, forgetting Page still had a ten minute solo to play :lol: So JPJ started accompanying Page's big solo on the Rhodes than switched back to the piano at some point.

But I can see that's not what LedHed is talking about, so obviously if it is not from a 'circulating concert' it is one of the elusive Missing Seven shows.

Tell us more!

What shows are missing from the 77 tour?

If I'm not mistaken, we are missing

1977.04.01 - Memorial Auditorium, Dallas, Texas
1977.04.12 - Metropolitan Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota
1977.04.13 - Civic Center, St Paul, Minnesota
1977.04.15 - St Louis Blues Arena, St Louis, Missouri
1977.04.17 - Market Square Arena, Indianapolis, Indiana
1977.05.19 - Louisiana State University Assembly Centre, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
1977.05.31 - Coliseum, Greensboro, North Carolina

Correctomundo! And recordings for Indianapolis and Baton Rouge are known to exist and Greensboro is 'rumoured' to exist...

So basically the first part of the tour, right?

I wonder if they played something on the first night that they didn't play on the other nights.

Not quite anything 'different' per se but according to The Concert File (and, I believe, an eyewitness account or two) opening night in Dallas got a "Black Dog" encore, which was only played 13 June in NYC and 23 July in Oakland.

Tell us more!

Jones brought his personal Steinway out on tour and, I imagine, that it was a bitch to keep in tune, like the Mellotron. That or the Helpinstill piano pickup was having issues.. or maybe he just didn't feel like a piano solo that night.

Jones brought his personal Steinway out on tour and, I imagine, that it was a bitch to keep in tune, like the Mellotron. That or the Helpinstill piano pickup was having issues.. or maybe he just didn't feel like a piano solo that night.

Yeah...but which night?! :lol: All 37 1977 shows for which there are circulating recordings feature a piano solo during "No Quarter", and I think we have eyewitness accounts for the Missing Seven shows, you'd think if JPJ skipped the piano solo somebody would have mentioned it by now (i.e. "'No Quarter' was notable at this show because it didn't have a piano solo" or "I remember John Paul Jones didn't do a piano solo"), so this is an innaresting quandry, to be sure.

We'll you said you've checked all the available shows...I tried doing that, I've only got about half of them :P

There's one audience tape that is distorted and has a little warble, I thought it was the one. I came to the conclusion that it was indeed piano.

I was (unfortunately) mistaken it was 4/10/77 Chicago. I thought it was keyboards but there is piano, it just switches to keyboards after like 4/25/77. Strange why he uses the keyboards for most of the song. I sure wished it was one of the missing 1977 NQ's. Nutrocker you forget that we are missing more than 7 NQs from 1977 as 4/20/77, 7/20/77, etc.

Nutrocker you forget that we are missing more than 7 NQs from 1977 as 4/20/77, 7/20/77, etc.

Other than the Missing Seven you are correct...so make that nine missing "No Quarter"s :lol:

I'll have to take a closer listen to 10-4-77 to hear the switch from piano to Rhodes...the fucking audience tape is so rough it really is hard to tell...

Black Dog it is said was only played on the first night in Dallas then NYC and Oakland, this is not true, how can you say that when there are 7 missing nights ? Black dog was played as the last encore on 4/13/77 in St Paul

What's interesting is the 1977 TUFs. The only tour where I enjoy TUF live. Unfortunately we don't have any good 1977 soundboards with that song (sorry 5/21 & 4/27 don't count). There is no way for us to figure out when it was performed as they changed the setlist around.

Likely they performed it on:

4/01/77

4/07/77

4/12/77

4/13/77

4/15/77

4/17/77

4/19/77 ?

4/25/77 ?

5/19/77 Pictures on this site show that they performed it

5/31/77 ?

Other than the Missing Seven you are correct...so make that nine missing "No Quarter"s :lol:

I'll have to take a closer listen to 10-4-77 to hear the switch from piano to Rhodes...the fucking audience tape is so rough it really is hard to tell...

So true, I was at that show and I remember it well, however since I was so young (9 yrs old) I remember the overall playing quality and show rather than individual songs with a few exceptions.

I heard that aud source of the Easter concert and for me it is un-listenable. The quality is so poor that to my ears the only thing this source shows is that the band played, nothing more. Just horrible which is unfortunate because this performance was stellar, everyone was great and Page came back with a purpose after the previous show.

In other words, the goddamn Bible Belt...where they apparently cling on to their Zeppelin as well as god and guns.

Archived