Tour rehearsals thread

Sue Dounim

Thanks Strider and ZeppMan. This is such a kick ass song. I have to say I like the version Jimmy played with the Black Crowes more than the

Zep studio version. Apparently, Jimmy liked Wonton Song more than Robert...just sayin' I will check out the Chicago live versions you suggested Strider. Thanks for the youtube clip ZeppMan.

Living down in the 'Big Easy' must have you hungry...it is Wanton not Wonton. Think of it like this: Wanton = horny; Wonton = hungry.

"The Wanton Song" through the years...

Led Zeppelin 1.20.75 Chicago

Page & Plant 9.29.95 Albuquerque, NM

Page & Plant 5.12.98 Jools Holland Show

Page & Black Crowes 7.10.00 Jones Beach, NY

You're right Strider, I must have been thinking of the Chinese take-out I had last night. :smack: Definition of Wanton definitely suits the band better than Chinese take-out. :D

Thanks for the vids. I will now sit back and listen to all of them and see if I change my mind about the Black Crowes version. I am also enjoying JPJ's bass as played

in the Lemon Song. :D

You're right Strider, I must have been thinking of the Chinese take-out I had last night. :smack: Definition of Wanton definitely suits the band better than Chinese take-out. :D

Thanks for the vids. I will now sit back and listen to all of them and see if I change my mind about the Black Crowes version. I am also enjoying JPJ's bass as played

in the Lemon Song. :D

Fuck the Black Crowe's version - Jools Holland version wins hands down - I love, love the guitar and drums on this song more than I can even say. :wub:

The only problem with the black crowes version was the vocals.

Yes, I always liked the Black Crowes version because of Jimmy and only Jimmy. Jools Holland has the best of Jimmy and Robert. Can't beat that.

I don't know why I am so hung up on this song all of a sudden. :Thinking:

Yes, I always liked the Black Crowes version because of Jimmy and only Jimmy. Jools Holland has the best of Jimmy and Robert. Can't beat that.

It's a good song to get hung up on. ;)

I love

in particular.

Man... did radio sound that awfull in the 70's?? The mudiest of muddy bootlegs have better quality than that. Still a great example of what the wanton song was live.

The short answer: Yes. But that isn't a live rendition -- it's an alternate mix of the studio track.

Because it's an awesome song. A real sexual swagger with a kick-to-the-gut kind of song...an out-and-out rocker. No muss, no fuss, no mysticism, no fancy filigree. "The Wanton Song" and "The Rover" were two of the most underrated and neglected songs from Physical Graffiti. They should have been played live in concert from the moment they were recorded and remained in the setlist to the end.

I'll try to find more "Wanton"s for you pottedplant.

Because it's an awesome song. A real sexual swagger with a kick-to-the-gut kind of song...an out-and-out rocker. No muss, no fuss, no mysticism, no fancy filigree. "The Wanton Song" and "The Rover" were two of the most underrated and neglected songs from Physical Graffiti. They should have been played live in concert from the moment they were recorded and remained in the setlist to the end.

I'll try to find more "Wanton"s for you pottedplant.

Yep - Wish they had played the full version of The Rover in '77 as opposed to just the intro then launching into Sick Again. It worked pretty well but it would have been much much better if they had done The Rover imo. Although, sometimes Jimmy was seemingly struggling with only the intro (first night in Cleveland comes to mind) so maybe a familiar song such as Sick Again which he had played every night in 1975 was a better choice,

Yep - Wish they had played the full version of The Rover in '77 as opposed to just the intro then launching into Sick Again. It worked pretty well but it would have been much much better if they had done The Rover imo. Although, sometimes Jimmy was seemingly struggling with only the intro (first night in Cleveland comes to mind) so maybe a familiar song such as Sick Again which he had played every night in 1975 was a better choice,

Did they ever give out a reason as to why they never played the full song on a live show?

Did they ever give out a reason as to why they never played the full song on a live show?

I doubt they've ever been asked that question, so no. Most journalists at the time had only a passing knowledge of Led Zeppelin's catalogue...they wouldn't know "The Rover" from "Sick Again". They knew "Stairway" and "Whole Lotta Love" and little else.

The ones who were supposedly fans and presumably would know the songs, like Stephen Davis, were too busy asking stupid questions about devil worship, etc.

The ones who were supposedly fans and presumably would know the songs, like Stephen Davis, were too busy asking stupid questions about devil worship, etc.

Ain't that right!

Well I guess they had to do the tabloids and I doubt that " Zeppelin played the Rover for the first time!" would sell.

I'd assume the lyrical content of "The Rover" wasn't heavy enough for 1975 or 1977.

What does that mean? "The Song Remains the Same", "Rock and Roll", and "Black Dog" aren't exactly heavy lyrical concepts.

Found one of the better Led Zeppelin performances of "The Wanton Song"...from January 22, 1975 in Chicago:

This is kind of neat...brief rehearsal footage before their appearance on that wacky French TV show June 19, 1969:

• 3 months later...

What does that mean?

Good idea! :P Might have been drunk...I believe I meant that the peace-and-love aspect of the song wouldn't have fit with the (comparatively) heavy "In My Time of Dying," or even "Kashmir."

With the talk about potential live material on the album box sets, I actually could see in studio, possible tour rehearsal stuff being more likely than live shows material.

The content of the "box-sets" is kind of up in the air: First, Jimmy said it was going to be studio only; then, he said there might be live material; since then, he has only mentioned studio material.

I'd imagine live performances would be more likely than rehearsals, aside (maybe) from a few rarities or the later tours.

If the latest news still is jimmy page saying, there is alternate takes for everything, or almost everything...how much space does that leave on a companion cd? I don't really see this as a good opportunity for them to add a few live songs from shows. Who knows, they could have tapes and tapes of cover versions of early rock and blues.

I would think that live material would be a whole separate project. If they do have actual tour rehearsals....which would be mind blowing, that would deserve its own project as well.

Then again, if they are pre marketing future audio releases, then I could see them including live stuff. Just as the dvds, might be pre marketing future earls court and knebworth dvds.

Personally, based on how they cut out the covers that were embedded in IMTOD and WLL for the Celebration Day release - I doubt they would release cover versions in these sets either. I think it will be just alternate versions of songs already on the albums, plus some unreleased songs that were previously not found in the "vaults". Just my $.02 worth.

Good point walter, the royalties,licensing, might be a big obstacle. I can't help but think they have some great cover songs on tape. Look at plant in the early 2ks, priory of brion, dreamland record...the covers seemed to be a source of regeneration for him, until rearranger. If zep jammed on some cover songs in the studio, for inspiration or reflection...could be great stuff.

What about that bonham interview, where he stated they always had leftover songs after each album. Look at all the tracks from 78, on coda....there has to be extra stuff from every record.

Archived