Jimmy Page and Robert Plant nominated for the 2014 Songwriters Hall of Fame

Cookie0024

Madonna, John Mellencamp and Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page and Robert Plant are among the nominees for the 2014 Songwriters Hall of Fame.

They are joined by a number of top acts, including Ray Davies, Sade, Cyndi Lauper and Linda Perry.

The Songwriters Hall of Fame gave The Associated Press a list of nominees in advance of the official announcement, set for Thursday. The gala will be held June 12 at the New York Marriott Marquis.

Also nominated are Heart's Ann and Nancy Wilson, Vince Gill, Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards, Donovan, Cat Stevens and Harry Wayne Casey.

Nonperforming songwriter nominees include "Midnight Train to Georgia" writer Jim Weatherly, Motown songwriter William "Mickey" Stevenson and country music songwriters Bobby Braddock and Bill Anderson.

Mark James, the writer behind "Always on My Mind" — covered by Elvis Presley and Willie Nelson — is also nominated alongside Don Robertson, Graham Gouldman and Tony Macaulay. Writing duos Hugo & Luigi, Sandy Linzer and Denny Randell, and Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham will also compete.

Eligible voters can select two nominees from the list of songwriter-performers and three nonperforming songwriters. Voting ends Dec. 16.

Source: ABC News - http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/madonna-davies-songwriters-hall-fame-20515653

Hahahaha, I can only imagine the outrage here if Madonna and Page/Plant both make it in the same year...or heaven forbid, Madonna gets in and Page/Plant don't.

Linda Perry?

That certainly would be interesting either way!

If John Mellencamp wins it I will I be very disappointed, his most popular song is likely Small Town which says Small Town 100 or so times which Zeppelins most popular song Stairway.. I rest my case ;)

Huh? :huh:

Holy shit! Does anybody know what the induction ceremonies are like? Will Page and Plant perform or even be together on stage for this?

If so it is $1000 to get in... I'll do it if it is my last chance to see Page and Plant together!

Regarding the gala - I can give just a bit of info. From what I know, you have to be a member of the Songwriters

Hall of Fame (I am one) just to even get an invitation to pay for a ticket (they start at $1,000 per seat). I am a new member, so I have not yet been to the induction gala, so I cannot say if they would perform. I somehow doubt it. But I think they would be there. As a member, I get to vote. Not sure if I am going to go - I will be in New York, but it is a lot of cash! Of course, if you know someone, you might be able to score a free ticket..

how do you become a member?

Thanks! I may consider this... Joe Perry and Steven Tyler were inducted last year and they played "Walk this Way" live at the event. I see no reason why Page and Plant wouldn't play a tune. I'd have to take out a student loan for this but eh, what the hell! For me it's more than worth it if they play a tune.

Who knows if I'll get the chance to see Jimmy Page perform again

ITA, Dropsie. Isn't Madonna older than P/P put together? :phone: She wrote some songs, but couldn't really sing them. :blush:

PP, when, besides the ubiquitous STH, when you think of masterpieces like SIBLY,Ten Years Gone, and Achilles Last Stand, to think that they have to compete with things like "Vogue", "Music", etc...ugh!

Madonna as a songwriter is debatable because she always collaborated with different people.

Sometimes the songwriters also perform, but there's usually someone picked to do their songs. They used to televise it, but it's been a while since they have.

• 5 months later...

Page/Plant are an underrated songwriting team. Not that Led Zeppelin doesn't get credited as a great band, but people don't really focus on their songwriting skills which are excellent. Page is probably the best songwriter for the guitar in rock history. Plant also wrote some great lyrics from 1971 onward. People focus far too much on plagarism and alleged plagarism and forget how much great original music they truly wrote.

Mellencamp is a solid songwriter too, but nominating Madonna is a joke.

Archived