What's your fave Christmas decoration?

Levee

Flying monkeys? :huh:

I love gargoyles, too. I wrote a paper on gargoyles vs. grotesques for a humanities class last year, and I had way too much fun doing it.

I like the cozy feeling you get when it's Christmas time. I wish we had the time to go up to my favorite little resort yuppie town to snowmobile this year--they have restaurants that have nice HUGE fires that are always going. I'd love to get a schnapps spiked hot chocolate and eat dinner by the fire while in my snowpants.

Sad--I'd have to drive to see snow. <_< I love it when you're driving at night, and you come home and most of your neighborhood is lit up with lights. Most of my neighbors have lots of lights, even if some of them are tacky.

I like the Gargoyles on tops of buildings.

They don't have anything to do with Christmas, but they are decorations, and I was just talking with my friend who knows a lot about architecture, and we talked about Gargoyles.

Then later I saw this thread. You know.

Re: Gargoyles:

Why do they exist? When did they begin? Did the architects who put Gargoyles on their buildings ever see Wizard of Oz? If so, what did they think of the monkeys' performances?

dsc0036jl0.jpg

Meet Gordon! He lives on the side of my house! Think I'll put a santa hat on him!

I like all kinds of decorations. I like the mix of it all around here. Some homes have formal, kinda understated decorations, usually with just the clear lights. With some homes that looks a bit distant and cold to me, yet with other homes, it just seems stately and dignified. I really enjoy the multi-colored lights. Some homes are really 'over-decorated' and yes, some look tacky. Others just look exhuberant to me. There's just something kinda touching to see a small 'humble' home that is cheerfully decorated with all kinds of lights and things.

I admit I'm not a big fan of the huge blow-up yard things. I always expect to see the yard full of shiny, new cars for sale and some big sign exhorting us to "come on down for a real deal."

We have multi-colored icicle lights with the large bulbs at the top of each 'icicle'. We had to unscrew every other large bulb because they were drawing too much current or something like that... I like the way it looks but it is kinda odd. My daughter says it reminds her of our favorite Mexican restaurant. (She's right, it does look kinda like Rosie's).

I love having a hodge podge of different kinds of ornaments on our tree too. I know some folks like the more elegant single color themes, etc. They do look elegant ... and I think they're quite appropriate for the bank or somesuch. Our tree has ornaments handed down from grandparents, sturdy ones from when I was a kid, whimsical ones, elegant and/or ornate ones, and we also usually have some big plastic ones on the bottom 1/3 of the tree... so the cats and dogs don't destroy them. We have some wreathes inside the house. I made one for each member of the family, based upon their interests. My dad's wreath has small tools on it and it hangs on the basement door-- which is where his woodshop is located. Mom's wreath with horse related items on it hangs on my parents bedroom door, and my daughter's wreath has bird ornaments and some Harry Potter and LOTR stuff on it. (I really need to update hers though). Mine has different craft-like things on it. We also have one I made out of a straw hat... it hangs on the wall in the 'computer area'.

For me, Christmas has always meant family and friends, and the things that I like about various decorations, etc. kinda reflect what I've grown up with and then continued as an adult.

I like all kinds of decorations. I like the mix of it all around here. Some homes have formal, kinda understated decorations, usually with just the clear lights. With some homes that looks a bit distant and cold to me, yet with other homes, it just seems stately and dignified. I really enjoy the multi-colored lights. Some homes are really 'over-decorated' and yes, some look tacky. Others just look exhuberant to me. There's just something kinda touching to see a small 'humble' home that is cheerfully decorated with all kinds of lights and things.

I admit I'm not a big fan of the huge blow-up yard things. I always expect to see the yard full of shiny, new cars for sale and some big sign exhorting us to "come on down for a real deal."

We have multi-colored icicle lights with the large bulbs at the top of each 'icicle'. We had to unscrew every other large bulb because they were drawing too much current or something like that... I like the way it looks but it is kinda odd. My daughter says it reminds her of our favorite Mexican restaurant. (She's right, it does look kinda like Rosie's).

I love having a hodge podge of different kinds of ornaments on our tree too. I know some folks like the more elegant single color themes, etc. They do look elegant ... and I think they're quite appropriate for the bank or somesuch. Our tree has ornaments handed down from grandparents, sturdy ones from when I was a kid, whimsical ones, elegant and/or ornate ones, and we also usually have some big plastic ones on the bottom 1/3 of the tree... so the cats and dogs don't destroy them. We have some wreathes inside the house. I made one for each member of the family, based upon their interests. My dad's wreath has small tools on it and it hangs on the basement door-- which is where his woodshop is located. Mom's wreath with horse related items on it hangs on my parents bedroom door, and my daughter's wreath has bird ornaments and some Harry Potter and LOTR stuff on it. (I really need to update hers though). Mine has different craft-like things on it. We also have one I made out of a straw hat... it hangs on the wall in the 'computer area'.

For me, Christmas has always meant family and friends, and the things that I like about various decorations, etc. kinda reflect what I've grown up with and then continued as an adult.

Very nice post Lakey. I really think it's cool that you made individual wreaths for your family. B)

And as you said, it's really about family.

But....I'm not giving the car back......I got damn good financing and balloon animals for the kids.

I made my favorite ornament my avatar!.A little Zeppelin that my kids picked up somewhere. It's a promo item for the movie "Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium".

2112878865_d1bb46370c_o.jpg

We saw one of those at Wendy's the other day. :lol:

Dave said he would buy the happy meal just so I could have a Zeppelin...and that he'd cross out the "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium" that's written on it and put "Lead Zepeln" on it with--you guessed it--sharpie. :rolleyes: He is SUCH a funny guy... :lol:

He's obsessed with giving me a cheesy looking plastic zeppelin. I don't want one. :lol:

I've got a few.

Got a great shiny glass tree bauble. Sky blue with the Grateful Dead 'Steal your face' logo.

And Elvis. He's our fairy you know. Stuck up there with a tree up his jumper.

It used to be a plastic Bart Simpson on a skateboard. Complete with plastic speech bubble that said 'Fuck Off'. That got pulled a few years ago when my daughter learnt to read.

My most hated thing is a foot tall polar teddy bear, sitting on his arse, who sings 'Jingle Bells' every time you get within 10 feet. And dosn't stop for ages.

Archived