Grand Funk

clw

Down on the comments it says this,is this true??

""Do your homework ! Grand funk opened for Zepplin at Olympia stadium in Detroit and fans went nuts for GF , zep actually pulled the plug on them in the middle of their show and the crowd rioted ! and zep never got to play ! a week later GF opened for zep in Ohio , and again fans went nuts and didn't want Grand Funk to stop ! Zepplin promptly threw them off their tour ! True Story !""

Thee are some other comments there about led Zeppelin too

I can't recall if GFR ever opened for LZ, but I do recall that when asked in the early seventies about which other contemporary band they liked, LZ rarely named names but they did in one ore two interviews replied 'grand funk railroad'.

I'll try and find a link to these interviews.

If you go to the Timeline on this sight, there is no mention of GFR opening up for them in Detroit and the Ohio show didn't happen a week later as this person claimed. It happened about a week earlier. There is no mention again (and there is a newspaper clip...pretty sure it would have mentioned GFR opening up). Sounds like BS to me.

Grand Funk played with Zeppelin on October 18th 1969 at the Olympia Stadium in Detroit (shared the bill, not supported/opening for Zep). The story of GF being kicked off the tour is not true, they weren't touring with Zeppelin - just happened to be sharing the bill at a couple of venues.

Now, Peter Grant very well might have turned off the electricity during GF's set due to the crowds response, but even that is questionable. Here's a review from this site http://www.ledzeppelin.com/node/448/8015#comment-8015

I would say there is probably some truth to this story, but it's mostly legend.

Edit:

Here's a different review from this site talking about a disturbance during the last song of GF's set http://www.ledzeppelin.com/node/448/8022#comment-8022

The actual timeline page http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/october-18-1969

Grand Funk are from Flint Michigan... So for them to have more fans than Led Zeppelin at an early concert in their home state is not unrealistic.. I doubt they put on a better performance though.. But they could have gotten a better crowd reaction..

They sure as hell have milked this story for all it's worth.. It was on the VH1 Behind The Music episode ... and it comes up a lot..

Grand Funk were huge at one point... I think people forget how big they were at one time..so for this to be their claim to fame is kind of funny..

I mean they sold out Shea Stadium.

Grand Funk are from Flint Michigan... So for them to have more fans than Led Zeppelin at an early concert in their home state is not unrealistic.. I doubt they put on a better performance though.. But they could have gotten a better crowd reaction..

They sure as hell have milked this story for all it's worth.. It was on the VH1 Behind The Music episode ... and it comes up a lot..

Grand Funk were huge at one point... I think people forget how big they were at one time..so for this to be their claim to fame is kind of funny..

I mean they sold out Shea Stadium.

Very interesting,just shows again that all the great bands are from this era

According to Dave Lewis and Simon Pallet's Led Zeppelin, the Concert File, (which is the very best reference to any thing related to Live Led Zeppelin, except the actual bootlegs themselves), on Friday, October, 24, 1969, Grand Funk Railroad "supported" Led Zeppelin at the Public Auditorium in Cleveland, Ohio.

According to this book, and this is a verbatim quote:

"Ticket sales were slow for this show and special adverts and posters were produced on the day to attract attendance". (Page 85).

According to Dave Lewis and Simon Pallet's Led Zeppelin, the Concert File, (which is the very best reference to any thing related to Live Led Zeppelin, except the actual bootlegs themselves), on Friday, October, 24, 1969, Grand Funk Railroad "supported" Led Zeppelin at the Public Auditorium in Cleveland, Ohio.

According to this book, and this is a verbatim quote:

"Ticket sales were slow for this show and special adverts and posters were produced on the day to attract attendance". (Page 85).

Sure would have been a good event!~!

Saw Grand Funk live once. Great show, at Madison Square Garden, around the time they released the album "Shinin On". Suzi Quatro opened up. She was pretty good too.

Saw Mark Farner solo live once. He was great. The crowd reaction he got was awesome. He opened for Foghat and Steppenwolf. All 3 bands that night were really good.

Saw Grand Funk live once. Great show, at Madison Square Garden, around the time they released the album "Shinin On". Suzi Quatro opened up. She was pretty good too.

Saw Mark Farner solo live once. He was great. The crowd reaction he got was awesome. He opened for Foghat and Steppenwolf. All 3 bands that night were really good.

http://www.markfarner.com/

@ CLW, And what's the reason for them not performing in North Dakota? That seems odd.

maybe because days like today it is 20 below out!! LOL,until 20 yrs or so we never really had a venue big enough for them to even play at,now we have the fargoDome that will hole about 24,000

• 2 weeks later...

Please Don't quote me since it has been 40 years since the First Zeppelin concert I went to at Madison Square Garden but I believe July 1973 was their first appearance in the USA at the Garden and Led Zeppelin was a front band for Grand Funk and Grand Funk was delayed in the gig because of the enormous impact Led Zeppelin had at the Garden and on the crowd. Led Zeppelins performance ran over by an hour, I was 16 at the time and was taken to the concert for my birthday first concert I ever went to and one of the best.

Archived