2014 NFL Thread...

paul carruthers

^^ You know, I almost forgot about the Chargers squeaking into the playoffs last year. The Chargers seem to be a team every year that has potential, but almost always never realizes it. I wonder if this year will be any different.

I'm also interested in what the Chiefs will do--certainly their schedule this year won't be as soft as last season's... I think I better check to see who they are playing...

At the end of the day, Denver is still the class of the AFC imo... whether or not that translates into a World Championship is another matter...

^^ You know, I almost forgot about the Chargers squeaking into the playoffs last year. The Chargers seem to be a team every year that has potential, but almost always never realizes it. I wonder if this year will be any different.

I'm also interested in what the Chiefs will do--certainly their schedule this year won't be as soft as last season's... I think I better check to see who they are playing...

At the end of the day, Denver is still the class of the AFC imo... whether or not that translates into a World Championship is another matter...

I would expect KC to come crashing to Earth. Peyton Manning is the big question in Denver. Does he still have it now? Is age going to catch up to him like it does everyone. The Raiders are no threat. So that leaves San Diego. It could possibly be their division. Time for Manuel to put up today. I believe the team will be fed up if he does not show something today

Tampa at Buffalo, I may watch a little bit of that today. I believe NFL Network is carrying the game... Also hear that Matt Schaub is not inspiring a lot of confidence in Raider nation...

Also.... http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000382084/article/rex-ryan-confirms-geno-smith-will-start-week-1

Hey Rick, are you getting the Bills game where you are? NFL Network was supposed to show it down here in Florida but preempted it for some odd reason?

I have it all right and its stinks. But its not Manuel's fault at all. At least 4 holding calls on Pears. A fumble that was down on contact, and the guy picks it up and runs it in and they let it stand. It was bullshit. It would have been challenged if it counted for anything. Spiller looked great. Two great runs called back on holding calls. Tons of holding calls against us. That is the main reason we are down. But Manuel has had 5 balls dropped too. Cant blame manuel for this first half. I believe he will play a bit more

Yeah, it seemed like every time the Bills offense got some momentum, the flags were coming out. Ugly, better hope you have that corrected by Week 1 when you visit the Bears....

A hand off and ANOTHER FUCKING HOLDING CALL. Tampa got called for a late hit also at least. Unreal . Some of these calls are pure shit

Good to see Jim Kelly at the game & looks to be in great health.... :thumbsup:

I will tell you this Paul. I am very very impressed with what I saw from E J Manuel in the second half. He came out no nonsense and marched them down for two TD's. First half they dropped 5 of his passes and Pears got called 4 times for holding. Tons of penalties and a TD that was not really a TD. The guy was down on contact. But the second half Manuel showed what we need from him. And Spiller was a beast. He had two great runs called back on those holding calls. But he showed tremendous speed. We will be ready for Chicago.

Final preseason games this weekend....to fill out the 53-man roster spots. A week from Thursday it's FOOTBALL TIME AGAIN!!!

:cheer::cheer::cheer:

Its a very strange thing how the NFL works. The final "rehearsals" take place today on a Thursday, and most teams will sit their starters, and take a final look at some guys that will be tending bar this time next week. My Bills will be an exception. I expect they will play Manuel and try and get their offensive line in order before the opener in Chicago. Maybe we should consider a football conteast? Pick all the division winners or something like that?

Sounds good to me, Rick! :)

OK, lets do it like the baseball but we will award ten pts for division winner, 5 pts for wild card, 25 pts for a post season victory, and 100 pts to correctly pick the Super Bowl winner. I will start and see if we get any response. I will start a new thread.

OK, I set it up but changed the pts

I do not want to comment in the contest thread to make it easier to manage. To me the shocker for Walter is Tampa. For Paul, and I strongly disagree is KC. I just think KC took advantage of an easy schedule and snuck up on alot of teams. I think they are toast. Just like your guys think my Bills are toast. I tell you now, Spiller is in tip top form and is ready to rumble

Also shocked you guys did not pick your teams to make it. Miami has a shot and so does Dallas. Wow

Heh, never said the Bills were toast--it's just you have those 2 pest from New England, Brady and Belichik. As long as they are around, it's hard for me to imagine anyone knocking them off. Of course, I'm always hoping to be proven wrong....

My daughter's boyfriend like you is a huge Dolphins fan. I have cousins in Florida that are also. Prisco is pickinig Tannehill to have a great year and for Miami to get in. I still believe the Jets are the worst team in the division. I know we have a ton of talent. Its just up to Manuel to produce. Game is blacked out here tonight. Not surprised. But most of the regular games are sold out.

DEREK CARR!!!

My Raiders haven't drafted a great QB since '68, could this be the guy?!?

I missed the game madstork...did he really look that good? Or was it against Seattle's third-string scrubs?

Still...the Raiders put up 41 points on the Seahawks while the Bills put up a big fat ZERO. Given what I've seen from Buffalo the last two weeks it appears the Bills still aren't ready for Prime Time. Let alone challenging New England for the Division. Miami seems the only other semi-competent team in the East to give the Patriots a tussle, while the two New York teams (Bills and Jets) will flounder around as usual.

Not that I'm predicting the Raiders to do any better...I won't be picking them in Rick's contest, that's for sure. Denver and San Diego will be #1 and #2 in the West while KC falls back to earth after that easy schedule they had last year. The Raiders will be duking it out with the Chiefs for last place.

Rick, I know about your contest...I'll post my predictions next week. Don't forget we still have our usual weekly NFL pool, dedicated this season to the dearly departed Brett...aka pottedplant.

Archived