2014 NFL Thread...

paul carruthers

There's talk about the Skins running less of the read option this year. I think they tried the same thing last season with mixed results, but Bob Griffin is supposed to be 100% coming into this season, so we'll see how that goes. Personally, I think if you have the wheels to run, why not use them. I don't think Griffin will ever be just a pure pocket passer... at any rate, most folks seems to have the Taters penciled in as the NFC East champs...

The Bills?? Not aware of this? We play the Lions at home final exhibition game in August. And we play at Detroit on Oct 5th regular season. That game is in London?

My apologies.....we play Atlanta in London at the end of October. Lions' over and under is 8.5 wins.....I'm predicting we go 5-11. Our secondary is horrid.

My apologies.....we play Atlanta in London at the end of October. Lions' over and under is 8.5 wins.....I'm predicting we go 5-11. Our secondary is horrid.

I like their team. I will take the over and I pick them to win the Central

most folks seems to have the Taters penciled in as the NFC East champs...

That's crazy! No offensive line, defense still sucks, and a new rookie headcoach in a high pressure situation. A lot of injury prone players at skilled positions on offense too. Anything could happen, but going into the season the Eagles have to be considered the favorites in the NFC East.

I like their team. I will take the over and I pick them to win the Central

You take them over Chicago and Green Bay? You know I'm not a betting man, but I'd take that wager all day long...

You take them over Chicago and Green Bay? You know I'm not a betting man, but I'd take that wager all day long...

I agree with your above statement on the NFC East. No way do the Redskins win it. This coach for the Eagles could make the difference? But your Boys have a shot too. The Central, I understand how hard it is to fathom Detroit winning. But it has to happen some day. And why not now with the talent they have? They do have arguably the best receiver and Stafford is a very good QB. Their defense has improved and I think they have a shot. Green Bay is always tough and Minnesota is a mystery . I do not think you can count the Lions out

The Lions always have the talent, but collectively, do they have the brains to utilize that talent. Maybe with a new head coach, they can finally put it all together, but I wouldn't bet on it. I still think the Packers are the champs in that division...

They (the Lions) have talent, yes. They also have a new coach and new offensive system. I just think the Bears and Packers have more fire power on offense and enough defense to get them each 10 wins or more. Detroit I can see being 8-8. Just my opinion though. 2 guys on espn picked Detroit the other day.

My Cowboys strength is gonna be their offensive line. If they can control the games, the Cowboys have a chance. Just too many uncertainties and lack of talent on defense to really pick them. They were 5-1 against the rest of the East last year. Romo's health is a huge concern. Plus we play the NFC West this year and have a horrible December schedule - again! @ Philly, @ Chicago, Colts in Dallas, etc. Open the season home vs. San Francisco. I'd rather get them early than late in the season though.

This looks so wicked-awesome! B)

NFL will roll out new player-tracking system for real-time on-field stats

6f3f3990-18b1-11e4-a320-3bccb4527119_e07

Seattle's Richard Sherman has long maintained that he's a better cornerback than Arizona's Patrick Peterson and a more dominant player than San Francisco's Michael Crabtree. Now, at last, he may have hard numbers to back him up.

The NFL is rolling out the initial phase of a tracking system that will allow fans to view a wide range of statistics about their favorite players, including speed, routing, distance traveled, and separation. As reported by USA Today, each player will wear two small sensors under the shoulder pads, and the sensors will track the players' movements throughout the game. (And ONLY the game, which should bring a sigh of relief to quite a few players.)

Zebra Technologies, which has implemented similar technologies in other industries, will roll out the system in 17 stadiums. Those include: Atlanta, Baltimore, Carolina, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, Detroit, Green Bay, Houston, Jacksonville, Miami, New England, New Orleans, Oakland, San Francisco, St. Louis and Washington. (The players signed off on the use of the technology in the 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement.)

The data can be enhanced and used for television presentation. Down the line, it could be used as part of an app or second-screen experience (i.e. you're gonna pay more for it).

"For those of us that are coaches from our couches, we're like, 'Oh, come on! That guy was open!' Maybe he was and maybe he wasn't," Zebra's Jill Stelfox told USA Today. "If we know closing distance of a defender and an offensive guy, you can really know whether that hit would be made or whether he really could've made that play."

It doesn't take a big leap to see how this technology could be used in-game for coaches to gain an edge. Cornerback losing a step in the fourth quarter? Flood that zone, stat! Accordingly, the NFL will not let teams use the data gathered for competitive purposes in 2014. But information wants to be free, and coaches want information, and therefore there's a 12-year-old playing Madden right now who's going to make millions as Statistics Coordinator for the Patriots.

Down the line, tech could be used to track players' heart rate in-game, and also could be implemented in the ball to determine whether it crossed the goal line. But Sherman-style trash talking? We're still 15 years from a computer being able to replicate that.

Well the Hall of Fame game is upon us and my Buffalo Bills are in it in a rematch of Super Bowl XXV (if my Roman numerals are correct), its 25 from memory and the wide right replay I am sure will he shoved down my throat again. Its even more painful than the music city miracle, our last play in a playoff game. I wonder how much time they will give Manuel? I hope Watkins has a good game. The loss of Alonso has really put a damper on things but he is only one guy and I guess its better than losing Super Mario. Go Bills and congrats to Andre Reed

My buddy tried to talk me into going to Batavia downs the other night. If I had gone I would have been drinking with Thurman Thomas. He had his pic taken with him even though the traitor is a NE fan

If and for how long do you think the starters will play on Sunday? I say at most one possession.

Even though they're your enemy, you still have to have respect. I had drinks with Joe Jacoby from the Redskins once. It was the season the Cowboys were 1-15, so we had a good laugh about that! He respected the fact I hadn't dropped my team, I respected the fact he was one hell of an offensive tackle! The guy was monster huge!

If and for how long do you think the starters will play on Sunday? I say at most one possession.

Even though they're your enemy, you still have to have respect. I had drinks with Joe Jacoby from the Redskins once. It was the season the Cowboys were 1-15, so we had a good laugh about that! He respected the fact I hadn't dropped my team, I respected the fact he was one hell of an offensive tackle! The guy was monster huge!

I think the Bills may play Manuel a bit longer than usual. They want him to get alot of work. They feel they have the pieces in place around him and so do

I should add, I have never felt like New England was a rival like Miami. .After all, when they have been good we have not and visa versa.

Wow, the NFL preseason is almost here; I don't know if I should be excited or not--all exhibition sports are pretty much useless, but the starters usually get a possession or two in the opening game, so that might be worth watching. Only one month away 'til the real gridiron action kicks off...

What is this crazy talk I hear about the Raiders talking with San Antonio? :blink:

I swear, if Da Raiduhs move to San Antonio, that's it. I draw the line at the Mason-Dixon Line...no offense jabe, Walter, Deb, and other Southerners.

I was born and raised in NY, so I don't think I actually count as a "true" southerner. Some people I went to school with actually called me a "Yankee"!

I can't believe they would move to San Antonio...

Sunday night is just about here. EJ will be on the clock. All eyes in Buffalo are on him and he has the weight of the world on his shoulders. He has no excuses. He has the best receiver chore in the NFL at his disposal. He has one of the best running back combinations in the NFL. Watkins and Wood will start no doubt. But they also have depth and quality depth at the position and the fear of Spiller in opposing defense's. Williams (from Tampa), Goodwin (speed to kill) and Graham are just a few of the other guys and Chandler is a very good tight end. He has the weapons. He must come through.

What is this crazy talk I hear about the Raiders talking with San Antonio? :blink:

I swear, if Da Raiduhs move to San Antonio, that's it. I draw the line at the Mason-Dixon Line...no offense jabe, Walter, Deb, and other Southerners

Doesn't come close to registering as being offensive, Strider.

Like Walter, I'm not a homegrown native... me, conceived and extreme toddler years in K.C.

The Deep South works for me and I gladly fess up to that fact and I don't ever plan on leaving......

.... but talk to move the Raiders out of Oakland...that is sheer insanity!

I can't even fathom the Raiders in LA.

Oakland or bust.

Archived