Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

I have to agree here. Not to brag but I do a LOT of concerts every year and I still say the lamest one was the Stones on their last tour (Philadelphia). I've seen them before and they were great. There was nothing special about them this night. Honestly, the opening act, the John Mayer Trio, was better and I can't stand John Mayer.

"A Bigger Bang" & "Voodoo Lounge" have some good songs on them, particularly "Back Of My Hand" & "Thru & Thru". Saw them in 2005 at the Garden & I was shocked how good they were, & I had zero expectations. Even Ronnie wasnt that bad he's who I usually have a problem with. Keith was great, on fire. Mick had the audience completely in his hands & Charlie was impeccable. Great show.

Sorry to ruin the party here but i must state this: Jagger, you fucking asshole! I hear that Mick Taylor is touring around Engalnd and sleeping in a rented Van....WTF!

Mick, please....Taylor provided the most skill and soulful guitar your band has ever had. The greatest period of the RS was during his tenure. PAY THE MAN HIS DUES!

FUCK!

Mick Taylor fan for life!

Edited by Zepaholic

...Mick Taylor chose to leave The Rolling Stones...

Indeed!

Do Mick and Keith acknowledge the fact that the albums he played on cemented the RS legacy and made them what they are today? Honestly, just bitter that an immense talent is now in wasteland. Like not paying JPJ for his contributions.....

I really enjoyed hearing this NPR piece (link and transcript below) this morning. It certainly struck a chord with me as I first heard the Stones when I was in kindergarten, have been attending their concerts for decades, and have never - in all those years - stopped listening to or loving their music.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=98541050

Wait, Keith Richards Is 65?

By Robert Goldstein

* Audio for today's show will be available at approx. 12:00 p.m. ET.

Keith Richards

Dave Hogan / Getty Images

Weekend Edition Saturday, December 20, 2008 - Amid the hustle and bustle of another holiday season, the upcoming Obama inauguration and the spreading gloom of the economic crisis, you might have forgotten about a December birthday that represents a real milestone. Listen carefully: Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones is 65.

Let me repeat that: Keith Richards is 65.

As the founding guitarist of the Rolling Stones, his countless iconic guitar riffs deservedly occupy mythic status — right up there with his equally legendary drug-fueled, debauched past. What you may have forgotten is that using those riffs, he has co-written some of the most acclaimed and enduring songs in all of popular music.

Beyond providing the tired (but not necessarily untruthful) quip that this event defies both medical science and every known actuarial table, there must be a deeper significance here. Right?

In today's music business, a field of endeavor where creativity can be measured in fruitfly lifespans, and where a lengthy career compares unfavorably to that of the average NFL player, Keith Richards is a titan. He's the surprisingly still-living embodiment of everything we think of, everything it has come to mean to be a rock musician.

And in a world where we are being told what we might like based on what we liked before, it becomes ever more difficult to recognize the true archetypes who walk among us.

It seems very unlikely there will ever be another Keith Richards. Who currently — and from a considerable geo-cultural distance — could totally absorb a foreign music — in this case black American blues and R&B — not as a tourist, but as a true believer? And then, by his instinctive expression of that assimilated music, personify the ethos of a younger generation desperate to hear itself? And let's not forget, also make an ungodly fortune in the bargain?

I've been listening to Keith from the beginning — that's over 40 years. Never a guitar virtuoso (at least not in the commonly understood "musical" sense of the word), his playing has always been intrinsically in service to his band and its songs.

But with any great artist who forges his own musical path, the marvel and pleasure is not so much in how he played. It's how he chose to play.

Happy Birthday Keith.

Robert Goldstein has been NPR's music librarian for 15 years. In a former life he was the guitarist for the band Urban Verbs, which recorded two albums for Warner Bros. Records.

KR75III.jpg

KeithII.jpg

Sorry to ruin the party here but i must state this: Jagger, you fucking asshole! I hear that Mick Taylor is touring around Engalnd and sleeping in a rented Van....WTF!

Mick, please....Taylor provided the most skill and soulful guitar your band has ever had. The greatest period of the RS was during his tenure. PAY THE MAN HIS DUES!

FUCK!

Mick Taylor fan for life!

I'm a big Taylor fan too. Saw him play twice in 2000, met him once. Really a nice guy too. :D

But he chose his own path. The drugs and debauchery of the Stones was bringing him down, as well as not being able to get credit for his compositions. For all intents and purposes, Richards/Jagger is a "closed shop". Which hurt them in the end, where Taylor was concerned.

Don't EVEN get me started on Wood again.. <_<

I'm a big Taylor fan too. Saw him play twice in 2000, met him once. Really a nice guy too. :D

But he chose his own path. The drugs and debauchery of the Stones was bringing him down, as well as not being able to get credit for his compositions. For all intents and purposes, Richards/Jagger is a "closed shop". Which hurt them in the end, where Taylor was concerned.

Don't EVEN get me started on Wood again.. <_<

Totally agree but it's such an injustice to a great musician. Not precedent setting though...

Not sure if this has been discussed, but...What do you Stones afficionados(spelling??) think of the Black and Blue LP. I likes it.

I like it too. Wayne Perkins & Harvey Mandel did a great job filling in for Mick T. Not too crazy about "Hot Stuff", sounded a bit too much like disco. But all in all a very good album. Keith kicks major ass on "Crazy Mama".

The album was also very well recorded. Pity this would be the last Stones album that I'm really still into.

Not sure if this has been discussed, but...What do you Stones afficionados(spelling??) think of the Black and Blue LP. I likes it.

I like Black & Blue, of course, I like all the Stones albums. Not my favourite, the weakest Stones 70s albums, (in my opinion). I love Hand Of Fate - the Four Flicks Paris version is fantastic - Memory Motel, is another great one. And Fool to Cry is nice.

"Black & Blue" is a good album, better than the majority of "It's Only Rock N Roll". I've always really like "Hey Negrita" a lot. Ronnie wrote the music to that one, no songwriting credit of course, but he recieves credit for "inspiration" lol.

"Goats Head Soup" doesnt get enough credit. "Coming Down Again" is one of Keiths best songs & probably his best lead vocal. "Can You Hear The Music", their last great grab at druggy psychedelia. "Winter" is beautiful. Great album.

"Black & Blue" is a good album, better than the majority of "It's Only Rock N Roll". I've always really like "Hey Negrita" a lot. Ronnie wrote the music to that one, no songwriting credit of course, but he recieves credit for "inspiration" lol.

"Goats Head Soup" doesnt get enough credit. "Coming Down Again" is one of Keiths best songs & probably his best lead vocal. "Can You Hear The Music", their last great grab at druggy psychedelia. "Winter" is beautiful. Great album.

I love It's Only Rock N Roll. Luxury, Ain't Too Proud to Beg, If You Can't Rock Me and Short And Curlies etc

And I love Goats Head Soup! Hide Your Love, Silver Train, etc...

I love It's Only Rock N Roll. Luxury, Ain't Too Proud to Beg, If You Can't Rock Me and Short And Curlies etc

And I love Goats Head Soup! Hide Your Love, Silver Train, etc...

Im not a fan of the ballady type songs on "IORNR". Too much "Angie" territory for my tastes. I'm not a fan of the production either. "Short & Curlies" is the only one I really like. I do love the guitar on "Time Waits For No One", but I can't stand the song itself.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

How's it going "JethroTull?" Long time no hear! I hope all is well with you. Being a die hard hard core ROLLING STONES fanatic, I love ALL of THE STONES' albums. I do love the BLACK AND BLUE album which includes the songs that I love such as "Hot Stuff," "Hand Of Fate," "Memory Motel," "Hey Negrita," "Fool To Cry" and "Crazy Mama." Hell, I love all of the songs on the BLACK AND BLUE album. ROCK ON!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I mentioned this on the "What Are You Reading" thread, but has anyone else read Bill German's book "Under Their Thumb"? Some interesting personal stuff about the band and how the live shows worked.

The uproar about Lars Von Trier's Antichrist spurred interest even higher for attendees who wanted to decide the film's merits for themselves. (For one thing, rumor is circulating that the Cannes version will never be seen again. For another, Mick Jagger hated it, calling it "horrible.") During this morning's screening, however, the "projector broke thirty seconds in," says Todd Brown at Twitch, and this afternoon's was "shut down by a major power outage." His conclusion? "God hates Lars."

cinematical.com/2009/05/20/cannes-in-60-seconds-tuesday-may-19-2009/

charles-finch09.jpg

http://www.wwd.com/lifestyle-news/eye/char...?justin=2139393

An intimate group of Hollywood heavyweights gathered on the upper terrace of the Hotel du Cap Eden Roc Saturday night to toast the good life--and Charles Finch's newspaper, Finch's Quarterly Review.

Producer Lawrence Bender, ICM head Jeff Berg, WMA's Cassian Elwes, Martin Scorsese, Mick Jagger and Ralph Fiennes joined the festival's Renaissance man for an intimate dinner.

And though all the yachts docked in the sea below would suggest otherwise, Harvey Weinstein said that this year's festival has been low key. "There have been 10 less parties every night here this year, which is a great thing," said the producer, before greeting Rachel Weisz, who was wearing Marchesa.

Elizabeth Banks, who's been in the spotlight here as one of L'Oréal Paris' new spokeswomen, shivered near a heat lamp, while Jagger was busy shrugging off rumors that he was due to sing at a party this week. Cannes, he said, was never really the Rolling Stones' style anyway. "It's the sort of thing we avoided, really, I don't really have any memories of coming down here in the Brigitte Bardot days and all that," he drawled.

A wet-haired Matthew Modine, who earlier had been for a dip in the sea, had the air of a young boy on a summer holiday. "I was playing tennis with Charles earlier, they have these wonderful clay courts here which is such a gentler way to play," he beamed.

Nearby, Fiennes chatted about his next role in the remake of "Clash of the Titans," in which he'll play Hades. "The god of the underworld," he said, with an impish glint. "My costume will look like it's been buried underground for a long time."

Edited by eternal light