Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

Indeed. The Brussels 10-17-73 show is the best thing the Stones ever did. B)

yeah...it's a contender. There are so many good shows between '71 and '73 that are fantastic. They incorporated a few tunes from 'Goats Head Soup' on that fall European tour, I was curious as to why they didn't include them on the January '73 shows. Afterall they recorded that album a month or so previous. They just continued with what seemed like a "part 2" of the Exile summer '72 tour in the winter.

I wouldn't complain about that though. :D

yeah...it's a contender. There are so many good shows between '71 and '73 that are fantastic. They incorporated a few tunes from 'Goats Head Soup' on that fall European tour, I was curious as to why they didn't include them on the January '73 shows. Afterall they recorded that album a month or so previous. They just continued with what seemed like a "part 2" of the Exile summer '72 tour in the winter.

I wouldn't complain about that though. :D

They really had it going during the Mick Taylor era. After 72, I didn't see the band again in the 70's. I really liked Black And Blue as well as Some Girls but the band lost something big when Taylor left. I'm probably not being fair to Ron Wood but I think he was the wrong choice and a clear indication, to me at least, that the band was going into cruise control.

They really had it going during the Mick Taylor era. After 72, I didn't see the band again in the 70's. I really liked Black And Blue as well as Some Girls but the band lost something big when Taylor left. I'm probably not being fair to Ron Wood but I think he was the wrong choice and a clear indication, to me at least, that the band was going into cruise control.

I saw them with all three guitarists, but musically the Taylor era was definitely the highlight. The shows I saw with Wood had become more focused on spectacle and not as much on music--still had a great time, mind you, but they'd lost something of their edge for me.

In many ways Woody seemed like the perfect fit at the time, he was in his prime and wailing with the Faces. Bad timing or bad chemistry who knows. One thing is for sure the end of the Taylor era was the beginning of the decline. Not so much because of Woody but because the focus of the band changed. Mick became complacent as he coasted on his star power and Keith was content to be a junkie, as a result the music suffered. By the time they got the train back on the track the magic was starting to fade.

In many ways I think they squandered the talents of Ron Wood, he put out some damn good albums in the 70's. And I think he and Keith could of had a pretty good thing if there was more focus on music, the clips of Keith playing with the Faces prove that. He pretty much joined the band and sat idle until 1978, by then things were pretty messy. Though Some Girls is a damn good album.

Edited by danelectro

In many ways Woody seemed like the perfect fit at the time, he was in his prime and wailing with the Faces. Bad timing or bad chemistry who knows. One thing is for sure the end of the Taylor era was the beginning of the decline. Not so much because of Woody but because the focus of the band changed. Mick became complacent as he coasted on his star power and Keith was content to be a junkie, as a result the music suffered. By the time they got the train back on the track the magic was starting to fade.

In many ways I think they squandered the talents of Ron Wood, he put out some damn good albums in the 70's. And I think he and Keith could of had a pretty good thing if there was more focus on music, the clips of Keith playing with the Faces prove that. He pretty much joined the band and sat idle until 1978, by then things were pretty messy. Though Some Girls is a damn good album.

Probably bad timing. I remember back then thinking that Woody was the perfect replacement and mainly, as you've stated, because of Keith's work with the Faces. Now I know I am being way to hard on Woody :D

They did lose their edge Aqua. And to be honest, I was moving away from straight forward Rock N Roll music at that point. No doubt, that jaded me a little as well

No it doesn't.

Of course the band was still focusing on music throughout their career, I should have specified that I mainly meant they went to a BIG SHOW with lots of flash and things later on, whereas in the early days it was just them up there onstage playing. But I still maintain there was a certain edge lost with time in their live shows as well.

But we can disagree. It's no big deal.

And in that other thread about his surgery, we can disagree there too. I'm more in line with Mr. E's take that you pointed out, that more may agree with that. Very similar to what I'd stated as well.

• 3 weeks later...
I saw them at the 02 back in August and they were dire. Keef was so out of it it was laughable, even Charlie was off colour, only Mick (for me, usually the villain of the piece) was anywhere near up to scratch.

I haven't bought a new album since Dirty Work in '86, and that was rubbish. So I think of them in the past tense too - 1963 to 74 or thereabouts. Best album? Beggars Banquet or Exile On Main Street

But when they woz good, they woz magic, innit. Would loved to have seen them in the early 70s.

I have to agree here. Not to brag but I do a LOT of concerts every year and I still say the lamest one was the Stones on their last tour (Philadelphia). I've seen them before and they were great. There was nothing special about them this night. Honestly, the opening act, the John Mayer Trio, was better and I can't stand John Mayer.