The most under rated musicians out today.

xXKashmirXx

Can't mention Lindley without mentioning Ry Cooder and John Hiatt....

I see Lindley's name popping up here and there on this forum, and am getting pysched to see him next month performing with Hot Tuna (acoustic show). All these guys started in the 60's - but I guess if they're still performing, they're considered "out today"?

Again:

10 years ago.

Take it to the 4:00 minute mark and check out the groove and the solo.

I have to admit the guitarist is good, but he should stick to the guitar. The song sounds like any average "grungy" 90's band, but on the other hand I've never been a fan of that kind of music (except for maybe Pearl Jam).

Swede,

I beg to differ. The sonic palette may very well be 90's gunge, but the song structure/rhythms of these few numbers owe more to Zeppelin and the blues.

The cut above has a heavy blues tinge with a non-traditional blues structure.

The Oaf is Baba O'Reilly with a total hillbilly Zep stomp.

This is much more of an 80's/Cure influenced pop song with some muscle:

Nowadays Ian intros Blown Wide Open with Hendrix's "Waterfall" as if to say, look at where this was inspired from. This could be considered an anthemic grunge tune. I'll agree with that but there are so many more subtle eastern and jazz overtones that go beyond the typical grunge aura.

And "How Would You Know" is so much more of a muscular country epic that is more in the vein of Dancin' Days than typical grunge. The breakdown at the end is more like the progression in 4 Sticks.

Ian Thornley is the Cornellian-piped singer singer/songwriter/lyricist/lead guitarist. In 10 years he has created an awesome catalog of breathtaking music.

I really do appreciate you at least taking the time to respond.

BUK, I'm always up for discovering new music. I sure can hear the influences you point out. A couple of the songs is ok, like the one you connected with the 80's Cure influences. The Hendrix influences are great too, I like that. That's much of what I like in Pearl Jam too. Unfortunatly, in the end, it's the grunge vibe that really doesn't do it for me. He has an ok voice, but his vocal style is a bit to much like Cornell and Co for my taste.

Now this is what musical discussion should be like!

Thanks Swede for your civility.

I often fall into the category game. It's tough to overcome first impressions since we "seekers of music" have to narrow the field of our fandom with our critical criteria because there just isn't enough time in life to hear it all.

I apologize for taking your succinct analysis as an off hand dismissal.

The Grunge scene for me, was a sort of revival of my 70's roots after so much "hair" in the 80's. It was great to hear some proggy/rootsy stuff again.

STP/I Mother Earth/Soundgarden/Dada/AIC to certain extent, all cemented my contention that early to mid 70's was the watershed for what I liked in music. They all revived/reinvented what I dug so much about growin' up without me having to sound like an old folk.

No need to appologize. Too many forum members seem to dismiss new music because they don't really care to check it out, even if it's put right in front of their noses. :D

I agree the Grunge scene was a fresh element when it came in the early 90's. I did like bands like Pearl Jam, Mother Love Bone, Soundgarden and AIC. And as you say, you can hear a lot of influences of Zep, Hendrix and Sabbath in their music.

It's the same case with the music that have come out from early 2000 until now as well, I think. But this time it's different influences than what the grunge band use to have. Artists like Velvet Underground, Iggy & The Stooges and MC5, and even other genres like Country and Punk, are the influences instead, which I think is a fresh element to the now quite watered-down grunge. Then again, grunge will keep influence new bands too, it sure had a great impact on music.

Thanks for an interesting discussion, it's much appreciated.

STP/I Mother Earth/Soundgarden/Dada/AIC to certain extent, all cemented my contention that early to mid 70's was the watershed for what I liked in music. They all revived/reinvented what I dug so much about growin' up without me having to sound like an old folk.

Is AIC = Alice in Chains? They are good, from the snippets I've heard. Also Soundgarden, STP, and Collective Soul - the little that I've caught is well done. I tend to be very critical of most anything started after the 70's, I'll admit...

Roy Buchanon

R B)

i met roy in st. louis at mississippi nights on lacledes landing six months before he died (late 80's). scintillating show, chops for days, blues so strung out and still relevant, i had to catch my breath. he blew everybody away with the 'peter gunn' thing he did, but i was much more impressed with 'sweet dreams'. i met him after the show (and after i ran my tape recorder out to the car). he was very hung up, more than a little drunk, and a very dark but sweet guy.

i miss him. he could really play....

Dave Matthews? Dave Grohl? Phil Collins?????? Underrated!?!?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot NINER!

All those guys get WAY too much attention for how good they are(not).

Here's two bands that Zep fans would really enjoy:

Cracker and Gov't Mule

Strong song writing, excellent guitar what else do ya want?

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer..._type=&aq=f

• 2 weeks later...

Archived