The most under rated musicians out today.

xXKashmirXx

James Iha

Angela Gossow

Tim Commerford

Justin Chancellor

Carter Beauford

John Dieterich

Satomi Matsuzaki

Greg Saunier

Sophie Trudeau

Jeff Beck

Matthew Good

Jeff Mangum

Jeremy Taggart

Paco De Lucia

Al Di Meola

Stephen Malkmus

Jeff Ament

Stone Gossard

Josh Homme

Johnny Greenwood

Chad Smith

Steven Drozd

Wayne Coyne

Michael Ivins

Kliph Scurlock

In a general media sense - Led Zeppelin up until the announcement of the O2 concert. It's been interesting to see bland media-types who can't see beyond the likes of Madonna, Rod Stewart, Elton John, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones getting to grips with just how much Led Zeppelin mean to so many people. The publicity they gained over the last couple of months - many times more TV attention in this period than than I can remember seeing in my entire 30 years of being a fan - seems finally to have put into perspective their musical significance and hopefully kicked into the dust that erroneous 'heavy metal' tag.

I don't regarder the media as a serious yardstick. I quit with that a long, long, long time ago.

Some under rated bands in my opinion...

Hole (people hate Courtney, only know her from the tabloids and ignore the fact that she had a successful band. An album like Live Through This is amazing!!! One of the best of the 90s. Songs like Doll Parts, Asking for it, Garbadge Man, Northern Star, Violet etc. are great songs.

Interpol ( they're awesome. Ok last album is not as good as the 1st two but still!! TOTBL is a masterpiece of beauty, melancholy, romanticism...Bass lines are awesome, the guitar is really nice, the lyrics are great and Paul Banks voice is to die for. It really touches me in a really strange way. His voice is just full of emotions...hard to explain.)

The Duke Spirit (The singer has one of the most amazing voice I've ever heard. Really bluesy. Great riffs. And for some reason almost no one knows that they even exist.)

Adam Green (not a band...lol awesome showman. His gigs are some of the best I've ever been to.)

Some under rated bands in my opinion...

Hole (people hate Courtney, only know her from the tabloids and ignore the fact that she had a successful band. An album like Live Through This is amazing!!! One of the best of the 90s. Songs like Doll Parts, Asking for it, Garbadge Man, Northern Star, Violet etc. are great songs.

Interpol ( they're awesome. Ok last album is not as good as the 1st two but still!! TOTBL is a masterpiece of beauty, melancholy, romanticism...Bass lines are awesome, the guitar is really nice, the lyrics are great and Paul Banks voice is to die for. It really touches me in a really strange way. His voice is just full of emotions...hard to explain.)

The Duke Spirit (The singer has one of the most amazing voice I've ever heard. Really bluesy. Great riffs. And for some reason almost no one knows that they even exist.)

Adam Green (not a band...lol awesome showman. His gigs are some of the best I've ever been to.)

I agree about Hole being underrated....and I don't believe Courtney had anything to do with Kurt's death!

• 2 weeks later...
Terry Kath from Chicago, his sweet fretwork was a huge part of their early sound, and he was the only thing keeping them from becoming a soft-rock band at the end. Hendrix had only good things to say about him.

Amen ,Kath was a guitar god kinda got lost in the mixwith such a large band.

1. Steven Drozd

Steven Drozd plays drums, guitar, bass, and sings, he did all off the first three on the latest Flaming Lips record "At War With The Mystics" the guy is fucking incredible.

I'll second that. His drumming in particular provides the perfect foil for the weirdness that the rest of the band (which includes himself) is doing. Thunderous beats anchoring songs about robots falling in love and freeing the animals at the zoo for Christmas. Love it.

James Iha

Angela Gossow

Tim Commerford

Justin Chancellor

Carter Beauford

John Dieterich

Satomi Matsuzaki

Greg Saunier

Sophie Trudeau

Jeff Beck

Matthew Good

Jeff Mangum

Jeremy Taggart

Paco De Lucia

Al Di Meola

Stephen Malkmus

Jeff Ament

Stone Gossard

Josh Homme

Johnny Greenwood

Chad Smith

Steven Drozd

Wayne Coyne

Michael Ivins

Kliph Scurlock

Al Dimeola one of the all time greatest Patial to his work with RTF and 70's fusion albums.Under rated because he was in the jazz catagory.

Al Dimeola one of the all time greatest Patial to his work with RTF and 70's fusion albums.Under rated because he was in the jazz catagory.

I really wish more people could appreciate Jazz Fusion, it just seems like everyone who likes it is a musician and knows something about music theory, of course I'm not saying you have to be a musician to appreciate it, just seems like most people who do are.

• 5 months later...
Ian Thornley (Big Wreck/Thornley)

http://www.myspace.com/thornicus

I love Big Wreck....I was a fan when they first came out in '98.

One band no one has mentioned yet: The Cardinals (as in, Ryan Adams & The Cardinals).

I know very few people are aware of Ryan's solo work (the constant Bryan/Ryan confusion drives me insane), but his backing band are truly the foundation.

Neal Casal is not only a great guitarist/harmonist, but his work as a solo artist is great as well.

Richard Thompson

Most zep fans would barely know him being the former lead guitarist of Fairport Convention (aka that Sandy Denny band).

I got converted to him because his solo acoustic stuff kicks Bob Dylans ass. The amazing thing is that he isnt a geezer who had his prime and is living of his reputation. He's putting out stuff now that will be considered classics, and his playing still improves.

Fairport Convention tune:

I'm a huge fan. Seen him at leat 15 times and own most of his recorded work. Henry the Human Fly is one of my fave records of all time.

Archived