England

leddy

Premier League Eye Overseas Games

Thu 07 Feb, 03:09 PM

The 20 Premier League clubs have agreed in principle to a radical plan that would see each team playing an extra match a season abroad.

Under the proposal, cities such as Hong Kong, New York, Los Angeles, Singapore, Sydney, Johannesburg, Dubai and Beijing would stage matches between two Premier League sides.

The League have called a news conference for this afternoon where it is expected they will confirm they are to explore the proposal of playing games in some of the world's largest cities.

A meeting of the 20 clubs this morning agreed in principle to the plan. It is understood that the proposed overseas matches would not be the final fixtures of the season.

The idea would be to cash in on existing interest in the Premier League around the world, and the extra money generated from TV would be split equally among the 20 clubs.

The details of how the system would work have yet to be finalised but it would mean each club playing 39 games, with a draw to pick out each side's overseas match.

There would be a sporting criteria, such as league position, to decide which clubs play each other.

And under the proposal, points earned in the overseas game would count towards the final league position.

One club source said: "The Premier League is a global game now. Everyone knows how popular it is around the world and this proposal went down so well because every club would be involved, not just a few.

"The Premier League has always worked as a co-operative of 20 clubs and this would increase everyone's income, showcase the league to the rest of the world, and be exciting to those fans in this country who either want to travel to the game or watch it on TV.

"We now need the League to look at the proposal and see how we can take it forward."

A firm decision is unlikely to be made until another league meeting in June, with any changes not coming into effect until the 2010/11 season.

American sports have already experimented with the idea, most notably back in the autumn when an American football NFL match was played at Wembley and an NHL ice hockey game was staged at London's O2 Arena.

Basketball's NBA also played a pre-season game in London and now it seems that England's leading football teams could make the reverse trip across the Atlantic.

Jeremy Hunt, shadow secretary of state for culture, media and sport, said playing matches outside England would be a "shame'' and expressed his concern that we are not improving homegrown talent.

He told London's LBC 97.3 radio station: "I think it would be a shame, that's my instant reaction. But I do think that the Premier League benefits from the fact that we do have some of the best players in the whole world and I think we are very lucky with the Premier League we have.

"But we also need to make sure we have a Premier League that nurtures homegrown talent and at the moment that's not happening as well as it should.''

:wtf: It'll be OK for Man United fans as none of them live in Manchester anyway. :lol:

Agree with you their Ady. :beer: I've seen Kiss once, Motorhead and Judas Priest several times and thoroughly enjoyed their concerts, albeit many years ago when I was a head-banger. :lol: When I saw Kiss I was under the main stack and Gene Simmons spat blood all over me. :) The only band of any interest for me would be Rise Against, but I suspect they’ll do a couple of pre-festival concerts so I’ll catch them then.

I've never seen Priest, but I've seen KISS 3 times and Motorhead twice. I've seen the Offspring and Lostprophets before at festivals and they're not in the same league. Motorhead will kick their arse! :D

I've never seen Priest, but I've seen KISS 3 times and Motorhead twice. I've seen the Offspring and Lostprophets before at festivals and they're not in the same league. Motorhead will kick their arse! :D

Lem-Gibson.jpg

Lemmy at em!

:D As if I'd do something like that. Its all good fella :beer:

:beer:

Agree with you their Ady. :beer: I've seen Kiss once, Motorhead and Judas Priest several times and thoroughly enjoyed their concerts, albeit many years ago when I was a head-banger. :lol: When I saw Kiss I was under the main stack and Gene Simmons spat blood all over me. :) The only band of any interest for me would be Rise Against, but I suspect they’ll do a couple of pre-festival concerts so I’ll catch them then.

The England match. Not bad and something to build on. Confidence is soooo low amongst the team.

Well done Wales a good result. It seems that fielding an inexperienced team works!

Yeh I saw Kiss at Donington and have seen the mighty Motorhead, but the headliners noooo !! but Rage I would be interestend in !! :)

Wow Leddy, I didn't know you had known Fenix for that long.

B)

Yes me and him, no her no um ok :blink: , you caught them out they don't know me from Adam lol :D

Well done Wales in the rugby. Hopefully we can see some of that Welsh spirit in the England team today. It should be tough against the ever improving Italians but if we keep our discipline (this is a major factor today!) we should be ok. I do have this as the only England win in my predicted league so fingers crossed for some points.

My final league predictions for the Six Nations.

France - 22pts (Grand Slam winners)

Wales - 20pts (Triple Crown)

Ireland - 11pts

Scotland - 10pts (Calcutta cup winners)

Italy - 9pts

England - 3pts (Wooden Spoon)

FeB 6th 1958...we shall never forget !! come on Unites and city beter observe the min silence !!

And they did...very moving !!

I'm glad they stayed quiet. It would have been such a shame if we experience the disrespect shown at the England v Switzerland game. Stopped after 27 seconds! Shocking.

Hang your head's in shame.

FeB 6th 1958...we shall never forget !! come on Unites and city beter observe the min silence !!

And they did...very moving !!

Yeah, it was emotional, I had a tear in my eye. I had tears of a different sort in my eyes after the way United played, though. :bagoverhead: Don't know if the occasion got to them, but they were awful. Much as it sticks in my throat to ever say it, City deserved to win today.

What say you, Leddy?

Sorry City never deserve to win it !! :rolleyes: ...........................ok yes they did, I think the occasion did get to them as you say they were crap !!, great to see them in the 1958 shirt for the day !! I have a replica myself !! I miss living in Manchester and going to games !!!

I'm glad they stayed quiet. It would have been such a shame if we experience the disrespect shown at the England v Switzerland game. Stopped after 27 seconds! Shocking.

Hang your head's in shame.

Yeah, that was bloody disgusting. :(

Welcome Darth but this is an English thread, I am afraid we did let one Welsh lady thru the net, much to my disgust after beating us last week in the Rugby :D ....actually Valleygirl is one of us really :)

Welcome Darth but this is an English thread, I am afraid we did let one Welsh lady thru the net, much to my disgust after beating us last week in the Rugby :D ....actually Valleygirl is one of us really :)

thisisengland.jpg

B)

heard that there a major fire in camden last night...bummer

Yeh I heard...here is alink !!

http://www.nme.com/news/razorlight/34226

Also Guys and gal !! My nearest league team is Bournemouth and ts not good so if you have a cool 4 million could you buy them ?? as they are going under !!

4pm GMT update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cherries go into administration

Kevin Bond's team now find themselves bottom of League One after receiving 10-point deduction

Richard Aikman and agencies

Friday February 8, 2008

Guardian Unlimited

The Cherries are now two points adrift at the foot of League One. Photograph: Guardian Unlimited

Bournemouth have confirmed they have entered into administration, with former Leeds chairman Gerald Krasner appointed to run the club.

Insolvency practitioner Krasner was unveiled as the struggling Coca-Cola League One club's administrator at today's press conference at Dean Court, which put an end to weeks of speculation surrounding the club's financial state. The Cherries, who are reported to be around £4m in debt, will automatically receive a 10-point deduction by the Football League, leaving them rooted to the foot of the table.

Archived