2016 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL THREAD

SuperDave

Let Me be the first to say "Congratulations" to the Chicago Cubs for clinching the National League Central Division (a Division dominated by the Saint Louis Cardinals for 5 consecutive years).  I say this with no malice, but I still do not think that the Cubs will make it, much less win, the 2016 World Series. 

15 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Let Me be the first to say "Congratulations" to the Chicago Cubs for clinching the National League Central Division (a Division dominated by the Saint Louis Cardinals for 5 consecutive years).  I say this with no malice, but I still do not think that the Cubs will make it, much less win, the 2016 World Series. 

Well I say they are a lock to get to the NLCS and play the Dodgers who have a very scary pitching staff.  The Cubs are the team to beat in the NL and for that matter, in all of baseball.  I wish that Buck would go to the 4 man rotation right now!!!  But I suspect he will toss Miley to the wolves to save the entire good 4 pitchers for Boston and just rely on the offense to beat Tampa.  We almost came back to win last night.  1st and 3rd in the 9th with one out.  Supposed to score and tie the game on that.  But not as bad as what the Yankees did.  Blew a 5-1 lead and I was counting on them.  I am counting on them again tonight but we need to take care of our own business.  If so, we will be fine.

What a play at the plate last night for the O's to win!!!  Tillman and Price go today so I doubt either will pitch in the big 4 game series.  Miley scheduled tomorrow so we will have to out slug them.  I do not want to see Gallardo in game 4 vs Boston.  I would rest Worley and give him the ball.   Go O's.  Buck can get this done

The Saint Louis Cardinals got a nice come from behind win and a much needed win against the San Francisco Giants last night in the top of the 9th inning.  The Giants threatened in the bottom of the 9th with 2 on and 2 out but failed to capitalize. 

The Cardinals, Giants and Mets are in the thick of things in the National League Wild Card race. 

Edited by kingzoso

Just now, redrum said:

SF has to be the most frustrating team in the NL.

I sort of feel your pain and frustration.  I say that because I kind of feel the same way with the Saint Louis Cardinals.  They have the team and the talent to make it all the way to the 2016 NLCS and the World Series, however, it is very frustrating when such talented and accomplished teams seem to not win when winning games is crucial.  The Cardinals are, and have been very good at that in the past 5 years, but it seems that this season they are not living up to their usual standards.  I still say that They will turn around and make all the naysayers BELIEVERS (as much as that may anger a lot of people- I hope that I am correct). 

8 hours ago, kingzoso said:

The Saint Louis Cardinals got a nice come from behind win and a much needed win against the San Francisco Giants last night in the top of the 9th inning.  The Giants threatened in the bottom of the 9th with 2 on and 2 out but failed to capitalize. 

The Cardinals, Giants and Mets are in the thick of things in the National League Wild Card race. 

They referred to that game as a "must win" for the Cardinals.  As for my team, we got some help from the Angels but none from the Yankees.  Tampa has been a thorn in the side to all three top eastern teams lately and now its out turn I guess.  You would think they are playing for something?  I mean, you look at KC and how they have basically thrown in the towel and quit on their manager and then Tampa.  Its no good excuse for us not hitting and beating them in the late innings which were there for the taking.  Tillman was not on top of his game but he was not horrible either   Longoria, the poor guy that got left in the barn when all the other horses were taken to Chicago to build the Cubs new empire, has been on fire.  I do not know why we have not pitched around him.  You can achieve this in a smart way.  Today they had best do so with Miley if they want any chance of starting the series with Boston down 2 rather than 3.  S we will have Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausman for the first two vs Boston giving us a huge shot to beat them.  Gausman shut them down completely in Boston.  and is on fire.   Bundy too has pitched great but for one game.   Moving forward they are our our two young studs.    Make no mistake about it.  I would save Worley for game 4 and leave Gallardo on the bench.  Especially if we win the first two games and have a legit shot at the division and not just trying to hang on to the top Wild Card spot.  But that is big too.  If we have to play that one off game, better it be in Baltimore where we are plenty tough. No doubt it would be Happ if Toronto?  But I would go with Gausman in a NY  minute.    Yes over Tillman.  But first, we have a race to finish.  Detroit has put themselves pretty much out of it. And Houston has moved up and kept Seattle down.  It is starting to look like 3 teams will come out of the East.  I hope Miley gives us a shot today and does not get rocked yet again in the first inning.  He has been terrible.  But I know Buck wants to save his big arms for Boston and Darrin O'Day is supposed to be ready TODAY.  I sure want to see him out there in the late innings getting ready for Boston.   I will also say, go Yankees.  Do not quit

Man, the G-Men have been scuffling so much, that the Mets have now occupied that 1st Wild Card spot in the NL--I would love to see things hold the way they are now. 

How great would a 1-game playoff between the Mets & Giants be--Syndergaard vs. Bumgarner, wow...

Edited by paul carruthers

8 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Man, the G-Men have been scuffling so much, that the Mets have now occupied that 1st Wild Card spot in the NL--I would love to see things hold the way they are now. 

How great would a 1-game playoff between the Mets & Giants be--Syndergaard vs. Bumgarner, wow...

I really hate to say this to the fans of these teams, but I really want the San Francisco Giants and the New York Mets to lose as many games as possible in the next two weeks. 

2 hours ago, kingzoso said:

I really hate to say this to the fans of these teams, but I really want the San Francisco Giants and the New York Mets to lose as many games as possible in the next two weeks. 

I'm sure the Giants will acommodate you. That old, fighting rivalry came out tonight. :lol:

As of this very moment, this is how the National League Wild Card Standings stand:

The New York Mets, the San Francisco Giants and the Saint Louis Cardinals are all tied up to the top Wild Card spot.  Each of these excellent teams are currently at the same record:  80 wins and 71 losses.  Obviously, there can only be one winner to make it to the 2016 MLB Playoffs.  Us fans of these three teams want it to be OUR TEAM that makes it. 

Let Me break it down the way I see it:

The New York Mets made it to the 2015 World Series last year but lost. 

The San Francisco Giants have won 3 World Series in the past 5 years.

The Saint Louis Cardinals have been to the Post-Season the past 5 years in a row. 

Given this outrageous phenomenon, I will say and predict that the Saint Louis Cardinals will pull through and "stun" the rest of the National League and make it to the 2016 Post-Season. 

What I am about to type is completely true: 

Earlier last night (9/21) I "met" Jake Arrieta's mom at my place of employment.  I will not say where or what the circumstances were, but it was his mother.  We talked for a couple of minutes and I told her I was a die-hard Saint Louis Cardinals fan and that I lived in Saint Louis for a long time in my teens and later in my 20's.  She also said she was from a town south of Saint Louis (not Saint Louis Proper).  There were a few more things she said to me that I believed her to be telling me the truth.  When she left, I googled a couple of things of what she had said (on my phone) and that is when I knew that I had just met Jake Arrieta's mom. 

One thing I will say that she said, and this, of course is not exact:  She said that he has been "struggling" lately and I said that I had heard about that but that He was one of the best pitchers in all of baseball last year and she said that, "yes, he was Lights Out".  And, believe it or not, I told her to tell Jake that I am a Cardinals fan but that I wish him "Good Luck".  She said that she would tell him what I said. 

Even though it was not a surreal kind of event (at the time), it still makes me feel kind of weird that this happened out of nowhere and that she was really telling me that she was the mother of a pitcher for a team that I respect but still want to lose, especially to my team, the Mighty Saint Louis Cardinals. 

True story that happened about 7 hours ago. 

Pretty cool story, kz.  I've found a lot of times that the families of the athletes are quite lovely and outgoing and easier to talk to than the guys themselves.  We often lament Jake's leaving Baltimore, but really, he wasn't very good when he was here.  So... it all worked out.

Speaking of working out, Boom Boom Mancini with the "Earl Weaver" and now the game is tied.  We can't possibly be swept four games by the Saux at home...can we??

50 minutes ago, redrum said:

With a little bit of kismet SF can still win the division. Hoping for L.A. to choke a little.

That will not happen.  It will come down to your Giants, Paul's Mets and my Cardinals.  The reason I am kinda perplexed is that these three teams were and are World Series Teams in the past 5 years and this year they are all vying for a Wild Card spot.  Considering that, it will be very interesting to see which two of these three teams prevail.  I follow all the scores of every MLB team from my phone and I have since I got a Smart Phone 3 years ago.  Even when I am at work I check the scores of all the teams. 

As a decent person, I will say "Good Luck" to the two other rival teams that are vying for a National League Wild Card spot.  At this point in the past 5 seasons, I never had to worry about the Saint Louis Cardinals making it as a Wild Card team because They were always the most dominant team in the National League Central Division.  The Chicago Cubs have taken that spot this year (and I think that is this year and this year only).  The Cubs have not won a World Series in over 108 years.  I expect them to wait another 50 years from now and if that ever happens I suspect that I will not be alive to see it. 

Peace everybody and may the best team WIN!!!

I

How do we lose 4 in a row and most by 2 runs?  Incredible.   The relief pitching was good enough. . The hitting sent South at the worst of times.  So the Tigers have us by a half.  We own them in tie breakers so we have to hope we start winning now or else a team that has been good all year is going to blow it  It really is not what I expected.  No matter its the starting pitching that will need the upgrade at least they must get rid of Gallardo and get another good arm.  But i wonder how committed they are?  I mean, if they are complaining about attendance will they simply not spend?  If that is the case we are in real trouble.  They have to sign Wieters and Trumbo would be a huge signing.  But I am wondering what their intention is?  Maybe they sign Bourn and go with some speed and change their game just a little on the front end?  The two speedy guys they got could help.  But they cannot lose all of their big guns.  To me Gausman and Tillman are the true keepers on the starting rotation and that is about it.  Goodbye to Miley, Gallardo  and likely Jiminez.  I am hoping they get moving tonight and get in for the one off.  A game they can surely win

So the Divisions seem to be wrapped up. The AL East and NL West races have pretty much been sewn up by the Red Sox (nice sweep of the Os) and the Dodgers (still have an away series with the Giants next weekend).

It's Wild Card or bust for the Os, Blue Jays, Mets, Cardinals, and Giants. Should be a fun last week of the season watching the scramble. Especially since I have no dog in the fight...my Angels have been toast since Memorial Day.

Good luck and may the best teams win.

4 hours ago, Strider said:

So the Divisions seem to be wrapped up. The AL East and NL West races have pretty much been sewn up by the Red Sox (nice sweep of the Os) and the Dodgers (still have an away series with the Giants next weekend).

It's Wild Card or bust for the Os, Blue Jays, Mets, Cardinals, and Giants. Should be a fun last week of the season watching the scramble. Especially since I have no dog in the fight...my Angels have been toast since Memorial Day.

Good luck and may the best teams win.

If we do not hammer Arizona tonight then I am concerned that Buck Showalter has problems in the dugout with his players.  Too good to lose 4 at home in a row.  Just too good and proven over a long haul.  And they lose to Fuckholtz?  How?

Hmmm, I'm kind of torn about who to root for in the AL Wild Card race as far as the O's and Tigers go--I like both teams. Should be fun to watch as we wind down towards the end & into the postseason.

As far as the NL goes, I would still love to see Mets & Giants as the Wild card game--Syndergaard vs. Bumgarner; how great would that be...

pitching-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edited by paul carruthers

15 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

Hmmm, I'm kind of torn about who to root for in the AL Wild Card race as far as the O's and Tigers go--I like both teams. Should be fun to watch as we wind down towards the end & into the postseason.

As far as the NL goes, I would still love to see Mets & Giants as the Wild card game--Syndergaard vs. Bumgarner; how great would that be...

We have a better team than the Tigers with starting pitching aside.  I have no doubt.  We just had the bases loaded in the 1st and Alvarez struck out.  Another guy that will be gone.  the good guys were stuck on base.  Machado and Trumbo for instance.

Aside from the Boston series Toronto has had a bunch of trouble other than us.  KC has thrown in.  I mean, swept by Oakland and beaten 16-0?  

Edited by LedZeppfan1977
adding

7 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

THAT would be EPIC, pc! ?

Sad weekend in L.A. This is Vin Scully's last homestand at Dodger Stadium. The Dodgers finish their schedule next week on the road and he has already announced that he will not call any playoff games.

Goodbye Vin. You will be irreplaceable and sorely missed by all baseball fans. :wave:

Edited by Strider