2016 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL THREAD

SuperDave

I swear to God  (and I am not kidding), there seems to be as many Cardinals fans here in Houston then there are Astros fans. 

I like that.  It makes me even more proud to be Saint Louis Cardinals fan.

By the way, I was born in Galveston, Texas and grew up and went to many Astros games in the mid to late 1970's.   

As I am typing this, I just moved up to 5 rows behind the Cardinals dugout and I only paid for a $17 ticket.  

11 hours ago, kingzoso said:

I swear to God  (and I am not kidding), there seems to be as many Cardinals fans here in Houston then there are Astros fans. 

By the way, I was born in Galveston, Texas and grew up and went to many Astros games in the mid to late 1970's.   

As I am typing this, I just moved up to 5 rows behind the Cardinals dugout and I only paid for a $17 ticket.  

I was in Galveston in the early 90's. Beautiful, but too hot and muggy for me.

SF is slipping into the abyss. Hopefully, they'll sweep the damned Dodgers next week and make up some ground.

21 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Yes.  I drove from Plano, Texas straight into downtown Houston.  Even with alot of rain. I made it in 4.5 hours. 

I am at Minute Maid Park right now.   Today I am all by myself (and still buzzed from last night).  Cardinals 4, Astros 0.  

We have to play them tonight.  Time to wake up after the West coast hangover.  

6 hours ago, redrum said:

SF has to get on a roll.

Well they are sitting in good shape for the Wild Card if they do not beat the Dodgers for the division.  Only Pittsburgh seems to be   real threat to SF and St Louis for the 2nd WC?  Pittsburgh is amazingly 1 game back.  If its ST Louis and SF its likley Bumgartner in a one off and i take SF in that scenario.  Sorry King  but as for my own team, we are in position to take care of our own business with Toronto coming to town soon.  Boston has not only too go to Detroit vs Fulmer today but has KC who is hot coming in.   It seems very likely that 3 teams may make it from the East.  Detroit to me is the most likely team to make that not happen but without Cabrera, forget it.   He has to return and I do not know his situation.  We have Houston who has lost 5 in a row and will be out for blood tonight.  They are hanging around by a thread.  We need to just beat them.  Like last night with 6 HRs and Davis had two.  Hardy had two and Trumbo added to his lead leading total.  Gausman is a 5 inning pitcher in a game where we  are close.  Buck must realize that.  Same with Gallardo.  Tillman and Bundy give us more. Miley I am still not sure about.  He goes tonight.  A leftie.  If he gets shelled tonight I will be concerned.  I expect him to keep us in it

On 8/17/2016 at 3:48 PM, kingzoso said:

I dig that ballpark.... Did it rain down there ?  Not that it matters as far as the game is concerned  being inside, but the walk to Minute Maid can be a wet one in a Houston downpour.

56 minutes ago, zepscoda said:

I dig that ballpark.... Did it rain down there ?  Not that it matters as far as the game is concerned  being inside, but the walk to Minute Maid can be a wet one in a Houston downpour.

It did rain down there but not on the walk to and from the hotel to the ballpark for either game.  Tuesday night and Wednesday afternoon. 

For the night game, me, my aunt and uncle and my cousins boyfriend sat like 8 rows behind right field Cardinals Stephen Piscotty. 

For the day game I was by myself and sat about 25 rows behind the Cardinals dugout.  After the Cardinals broke the game open 8-1 in the top of the 7th, many Astros fans were starting to leave so I made my way down to 5 rows behind the Cardinals dugout.  All on a ticket I bought at the box office for $17.  I got some good pictures on my phone but, to be honest, I don't know how to upload them into this topic. 

^ when you click on the box to send a post, just go down to choose files below the message box.  It'll ask you if you want to choose a photo from your phone.  Then just choose a file from your camera roll on your phone.  Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, Walter said:

^ when you click on the box to send a post, just go down to choose files below the message box.  It'll ask you if you want to choose a photo from your phone.  Then just choose a file from your camera roll on your phone.  Hope that helps.

Thanks Walter.  If, and once I can master this, I will provide some of the stunning pictures I captured at the two Cardinals/Astros games I recently attended in the very nice confines of Houston's Minute Maid Park (zepscoda can vouch for me). 

If...

Edited to add:  the Cardinals made a very nice comeback to tie the game against the Phillies in the top of the 9th on a 2 run home run by Jedd Gyorko and won the game after the 11th inning.  I know I say this a lot but the Cardinals really do seem to know how to come back and win games when they really have too (obviously not all the time but they are pretty good at doing it). 

13 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Thanks Walter.  If, and once I can master this, I will provide some of the stunning pictures I captured at the two Cardinals/Astros games I recently attended in the very nice confines of Houston's Minute Maid Park (zepscoda can vouch for me). 

If...

Edited to add:  the Cardinals made a very nice comeback to tie the game against the Phillies in the top of the 9th on a 2 run home run by Jedd Gyorko and won the game after the 11th inning.  I know I say this a lot but the Cardinals really do seem to know how to come back and win games when they really have too (obviously not all the time but they are pretty good at doing it). 

I doubt any comeback an equal the Orioles comeback at AT&T park.  Down 7-1 and they win 8-7 on a two our 3 run HR by Schoop.  That was huge.  I too have had trouble posting any pictures here and have given up.  

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I doubt any comeback an equal the Orioles comeback at AT&T park.  Down 7-1 and they win 8-7 on a two our 3 run HR by Schoop.  That was huge.  I too have had trouble posting any pictures here and have given up.  

The Houston Astros had a very good game last night against your Orioles.  The Orioles started off strong but the Astros came off stronger. 

2 minutes ago, kingzoso said:

The Houston Astros had a very good game last night against your Orioles.  The Orioles started off strong but the Astros came off stronger. 

More a case of Miley and Jiminez stnking up the joint.  Two pitchers we need to cut loose.  We picked up Miley at the deadlne from Seattle.  Big mistake.  Jiminez was thrown in the pen and is used in games where Buck knows we are pretty much dead.  I totally blame this game on Miley.  Sack of pure shit.  

Cool interview with AJ Griffin of the Texas Rangers. He talks Zep & tattoos

Link I posted didn't work, here's part of the interview:

Grant: I've got to tell you, you've probably got probably my favorite tattoo of anybody on the club, the Zoso tattoo, the Led Zeppelin tattoo I think it's on your left arm. What's the significance of that?

Griffin: Led Zeppelin was my favorite band when I was growing up. I had all their albums. I just loved how they rocked out, so I decided to show a little support of the band with a tattoo. And a subtle one, too. It doesn't just say Led Zeppelin, it's got the symbols for all the band members. So it's a little more subtle and you kind of have to explain the story about it, except for real fans like you. It's pretty cool that you knew it.

Grant: So when you get on the mound and you get in trouble, does like 'Black Dog' run through your mind? What Zeppelin song goes through there when you zone out?

Griffin: Most definitely not 'When the Levee Breaks' cause we don't want that to happen. But, I don't know. I like Physical Graffiti a lot, I like that album, so some of the stuff off that. You can't really choose one Led Zeppelin song. 'Black Dog' is a good one, though. Or 'Rock and Roll' maybe

2016-08-20-13-34-20-1.png

1 hour ago, zepscoda said:

Cool interview with AJ Griffin of the Texas Rangers. He talks Zep & tattoos

Link I posted didn't work, here's part of the interview:

Grant: I've got to tell you, you've probably got probably my favorite tattoo of anybody on the club, the Zoso tattoo, the Led Zeppelin tattoo I think it's on your left arm. What's the significance of that?

Griffin: Led Zeppelin was my favorite band when I was growing up. I had all their albums. I just loved how they rocked out, so I decided to show a little support of the band with a tattoo. And a subtle one, too. It doesn't just say Led Zeppelin, it's got the symbols for all the band members. So it's a little more subtle and you kind of have to explain the story about it, except for real fans like you. It's pretty cool that you knew it.

Grant: So when you get on the mound and you get in trouble, does like 'Black Dog' run through your mind? What Zeppelin song goes through there when you zone out?

Griffin: Most definitely not 'When the Levee Breaks' cause we don't want that to happen. But, I don't know. I like Physical Graffiti a lot, I like that album, so some of the stuff off that. You can't really choose one Led Zeppelin song. 'Black Dog' is a good one, though. Or 'Rock and Roll' maybe

2016-08-20-13-34-20-1.png

Good stuff zepscoda! Thanks for sharing.

You may want to bump your post Strider but I had to mention this after the ass whipping Tillman took last night.  Buck Showalter knows how to make a circus out of a loss.  And in the 9th inning he showed he has  a sense of humor.  

He puts Ryan Flaherty in to pitch!!!!  Never pitched an inning before.  He is an infielder.  Puts Alvarez the DH at 3rd.  Puts catcher Joseph at 1st and outfielder and utility man Pearce at 2nd.  I cant even remember who played SS but it was not a shortstop.  What a fiasco.  Simply to rest his team for today  I mean Machado and Jones were indeed laughing on the bench and they really appreciated the effort by Flaherty.  Only gave up 2, including a HR to the first batter.  aFter that he settled in.  He had pitched in his youth you could tell.  Today had better be different.  I mean, first place all year and a couple bad games and we are in 3rd.  But its not like we are far back.  We can rebound and we will.  No Cardinal post due to the Phillies.  Thank you Phillies.  You saved my morning from a complete head fuck

22 minutes ago, redrum said:

NL West clash in L.A. this week. SF is still the better road team. We don't want no stinkin' wild card.

Neither do we but better than not being in.  Boston and Toronto lost.  We need to take advantage.  Though Wunder Pics is picking Houston and they are on fire.   First inning the Rockies scored a TD on the Cubbies?  WTF?  If any team can overcome a 7-0 deficit its the Cubs   

This weekend I believe the Cubs play at the Dodgers.  Should be a preview of the NLCS maybe?  Its surely my pick.  Both are on fire.  The Dodgers have one hell of  a bullpen.  The Cubs have pretty much everything.  As for my O's they got a much  needed win.  Moving forward they will need more to take a run at the division which has been theirs most of the season.  Toronto comes in next week I believe.  Houston remains red hot.  Wonder if they have enough to keep it going.  Its a big hurdle and I do not want my Orioles to be the team that is caught by them or Detroit.   If we just get back on track at home we will be fine.  Trumbo hit his league leading 38th HR.  Davis is starting to catch fire.  5 HRs in his last 4 games.  Now the rest of the team has to do the same.  And the starters we have must be good.   Miley really worries me.  I do not like him so far.  He has hurt us big time.   Not sure I would even start him his next turn?  He should be on a short leash.  Back to Cubs/Dodgers, it should be very interesting

Almost forgot, SF is at the Dodgers tonight.  Bumgartner is on the hill.  Should be a good one.  Dodgers are on fire

Hey Paul, if you read this, what would it take for us to get one of your pitchers?  I mean, you guys need players in the field.  We need a pitcher.   I mean for next year.  Do you see the Mets dealing a guy to better their offense?

Cal Ripken just said on MLB that he ays the 3 teams from the AL East will make it over the Mariners.  I want this damn division

Jonathan Schoop.  Remember that name.  He is one hell of a player.  He hit the HR heard round California.  And last night he put a tag on the Nats speedy Gonzalez to basically win the game in the firs inning.  It was a rare high throw by golden glove catcher Matt Wieters and he not only catch's the ball but makes the tag and the replay on the challenge went Baltimore's way.   Schoop is one reason we are playing for the division and so too are Machado and Trumbo.  Tonight Miley needs to show he can pitch at this level.  So far so bad.  The game in SF that I attended he got rocked and down 7-1 we pulled off the miracle comeback on Schoop's clutch HR with two outs.  We have to go into Wash while Toronto and Boston have ripe pickings in the Angels and Rays.  We go to the pesky Yankee for the weekend and then Toronto comes to town.  Tillman is questionable for tomorrow.  Sherzer is gong for the Nats so we have our hands full.

16 hours ago, redrum said:

SF has lost 13 out of 19 in August. Will the slide continue?

And the Dodgers are on fire.  Atlanta spoiled my night.  I had a parlay that was paying $136 and only needed Arizona to win by 2.  Dont the bastards blow a 9-4 lead in the 9th inning!  They won in extras by 1.  As for my Orioles, great night.  But almost ruined by the punk kid Buck decided to leave in and try and get 3 outs with a 10-3 lead in the 9th.  He gave up a grand slam and Britton had to be summoned to work his magic to shut them down.   The kid is on a long bus ride back to the minors where he belongs.

Archived