2016 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL THREAD

SuperDave

16 hours ago, Walter said:

Good luck to your O's, Rick and ebk, I hope your able to make it through.  I'm just glad the Yanks have a promising future after a long, drawn out, bloated, aging process.  Looking toward to 2017!  Not to say this team doesn't have the heart to capture a Wild Card birth 4 weeks from now.

The Yankees always have a bright future.  They have the money.  They have the history and all of that.  I do not like it when teams like the Rangers in hockey make a move like they just did to steal Vesey from the Sabres.  Its big market over small market.  But that jerk let it happen.  He could have chosen to go to the younger and yes, more talented Sabres team.  In baseball, the Yankees will no doubt be in the race next year.  If Angelos does not blow up our tam we will be in it also for years to come.  I worry about Machado and Wieters.  The Yankees are already talking about stealing Machado.  Angelos had best pony up the cash like he did for Davis.  I expect there will be more players than just the Yankees for Machado.  Wieters, we do not have  to  worry about the Yankees on him  But other teams yes.  Like maybe the Mets?  It would be nice if we could sweep this series and pick up more ground on Toronto and catch Boston. We have faired better vs Tampa than the other Eastern teams.  Its the West that have given us the trouble.  Gausman has pitched great last 4.  Sabathia pitched well too.  He made one mistake that beat them.  Pearce did the damage.  Not sure but i think Bourn will start tonight for us.  The new guy from Arizona.  

For what it is worth, and it is worth a lot to the Saint Louis Cardinals Organization as a whole, the 2016 Cardinals have hit a record 22 home runs in 22 consecutive games.  This shows the Power of the Cardinals rotating line-up, even though the same Cardinals are in a tight race to make it to a Wild Card spot in the Playoffs.  If they do, it will mark the Cardinals as a Post-Season Team and  Contender for 6 straight years. 

I thought Tillman and O'Da were t be back by now?  They are ready as far as I hear.  Get their ass's our there for Gods sake!!!  They could cost us the pennant.  We need to start kicking ass on a daily basis.  Now we go to Tampa.  And that has been no picnic for Boston or Toronto.  So even though we have dominated them earlier, I do not know what to expect now?  We have the talent and must start to us it.  O'Day has been our FOREVER.  Tillman has thrown his pitches.  Time to get off the DL and get in.  We are lucky that Jiminez and Gausman and Bundy have been great.  But Miley has not. 4 runs in the first two innings beat us and we should have swept that team that is made up of a bunch of AAA guys and  couple of old timers that are retiring.  Not the caliber of David Ortiz.  And Sanchez we shut down.  At times Buck does not show me the burning desire I expect.  We have the Tigers to deal with also.  I commend them for their resilient play.  It also helps to have a Verlander.  We need Tillman back yesterday.

3 hours ago, redrum said:

Looks like SF may have to settle for the wild card. They've been losing their asses so you can't expect to win the division playing like they have been. Can't rely on L.A. to lose either.

And somehow even though they have lost 6 in a row, the Pirate remain in the race?

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 6:09 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

And somehow even though they have lost 6 in a row, the Pirate remain in the race?

Not after last night, I don't think.  The Saint Louis Cardinals were down to their last strike when Matt Carpenter hit a solo home run to tie the game against the Pirates.  What happens next?  The Cardinals hit 2 more home runs to win the game.  All 9 of the Cardinals runs were scored via the home run.  I have said before, never count out the Saint Louis Cardinals when it comes to Baseball in September.

The Saint Louis Cardinals have a National League best 201 home runs this season.

The Saint Louis Cardinals have hit at least one home run in 25 consecutive games.

The Saint Louis Cardinals also set a Major League record with their 15th pinch hit home run of the season. 

GO CARDINALS!!!

19 hours ago, Houses of the Holy said:

At least the Cards are tied for the second wild-card spot.  Considering how torrid the Cubs have been (it's weird typing that, lol), I'm glad my Cards haven't faded away entirely.  Like the Cubs will once the post-season emerges. :D 

I agree.  The Chicago Cubs seem to Me to be a one-hit wonder.  Regardless if the Saint Louis Cardinals fail to make to the 2016 Post-Season (which I highly doubt),  I think that the Chicago Cubs will do what they do best, and that will be to fail in the Playoffs and be regarded as a team that had the best record in Baseball but chocked when it really mattered.  If I happen to be correct, I can't wait to see the reactions of the fans of the Cubs.  To Me, that will/would he priceless. 

5 hours ago, Houses of the Holy said:

I'm quick to remind all my Cubs-fan associates that the Cards had the best record in baseball for most of last year, and how did that work out? Coupled with the 108-year Cubs curse, such "high hopes" (thank you, David Gilmour!) should be immediately dashed. 

I believe that only the Dodgers are a threat to the Cubs this year in the NL.  The Dodgers have the pitching and the bullpen.  The Cubs are loaded.  That is my NLCS.  As for my Orioles, we have two very tough series on the road coming up.  We are sending three good pitchers to the mound in Detroit.  Gausman is on fire but goes against the no doubt rookie of the year in Fulmer.  Then Jiminez whho has somehow pulled it together and then the return of Tillman.  Then its on to Boston.  We have a lineup that is loaded.  WE no have some speed to add.  We have Bourn and Stubbs who both give us the option of playing small ball for once.  We have the bats as you know.  We lead the majors in HRS.  Machado, Trumbo, Davis, Jones, Schoop, Wieters, Pearce can all go deep.  We have 6 players with over 20 and 4 with over 30 HRs including the league leader in Trumbo.  I cannot even think of this team not getting in.  But we have a fight on our hands with the Tigers and Red Sox right now.  The Yankees are catching alot of breaks.  But Tampa is no pushover.  And they have some games with Boston and Us.  Toronto being swept was a surprise to me.  But I still fear Detroit more.

Catching a lot of breaks?  They have the 5th best record in the AL since May 1.  Better than Baltimore....

I like the Cubs manager a lot - think he is one of, if not thee, best managers in baseball.  They will be my "pull for" team in the NL this year.  Normally it's the Cards, due to my wife's family love for all things St. Louis.

6 hours ago, redrum said:

Get off your duffs, SF.

I think they listened to you today.  So won 2 st and have woke up a bit.  All be it not vs a contender.  I see the Mets and SF are in at the moment.  But its a long way to go and a nerve wracking race.  Even more so in the AL.  We are doing a number on the Tigers tonight.  Pay back for that HR in the 8th last night.  This keeps us ahead of them and the Yankees and right on the tails of Boston and Toronto who have been not very good of late.  We need Tillman to pitch well in his return tomorrow.  Next week O Day returns and that is HUGE.  Darren O'Day is our BEST relief man.  Brach got to the All star gam but do not be deceived by that.  So its 11-2 as I type.   Matt Wieters has two HRS and 5 RBIs and is the biggest off season must sign for us.  If they let Matt get away I am going to fucking lose it.  It would be very nice to beat the Tigers with Tillman on the mound tomorrow.  That would put us up two on them.  Tonights game is a monster for us.  I am pretty certain its in the bag.  Davis is playing with a sore hand but is still hitting the ball out of the park.  Nobody is close to Baltimore in HRS.  Kick ass boys!!!!

Oh, Football starts tomorrow.  So much to watch.  And for you that have boxes, FREEE SUNDAY TICKET TOMORROW

Some unknown pitcher (to me) for the Chicago Cubs was 3 outs away from pitching a No-Hitter against the Saint Louis Cardinals only to give up a homerun to the first batter for the Cardinals in the bottom of the 9th inning.  The Saint Louis fans were cheering loudly for at least a minute for the fact that the Cardinals were not victims of a No-Hitter and for the fact that this pitcher threw 8 solid inning of No-Hit baseball.  That is one of the reasons why the Saint Louis Cardinals have the best fans in baseball and it show that the same fans are very respectful of another teams accomplishments (a division rival, nonetheless). 

We need to release Miley right now after that humiliating loss.  We are better than to get beat like that.  I do not like Buck putting Pearce in left field.  He dropped two balls out there that killed us.  Tonight i expect we come out swinging and Bundy needs to be on top of his game. Our pen is ready.  I would use Worley in Miley's place.  He has been shelled every damn game but one. I do not want to see him again. 

I will go on record and say that the Chicago Cubs will be the National League Central Division Champions this year, a distinction that the Saint Louis Cardinals have held for the past 5 years.  It may seem to some that the Cubs are the best team in baseball this year but that does not erase the past 5 years when the Cardinals dominated and dominated big time over the Cubs, the Pirates, Brewers and the Reds.  One good year for the Cubs will never overshadow or displace 5 good years (in a row) for the Cardinals (and I am just including the past 5 years - not the past 15 years (since 2000) of basically Saint Louis Cardinals dominance of an entire division. 

Anyone remember this?:

...and especially this:

I will conclude with this:

NEVER COUNT OUT OR DISMISS THE SAINT LOUIS CARDINALS UNTIL THE FINAL STRIKE OR OUT IS CALLED.  THE 2011 SAINT LOUIS CARDINALS NEVER DID AND IT WON THEM THE SECOND MOST WORLD SERIES WINS THEN ANY OTHER TEAM. 

3 hours ago, kingzoso said:

I will go on record and say that the Chicago Cubs will be the National League Central Division Champions this year, a distinction that the Saint Louis Cardinals have held for the past 5 years.  It may seem to some that the Cubs are the best team in baseball this year but that does not erase the past 5 years when the Cardinals dominated and dominated big time over the Cubs, the Pirates, Brewers and the Reds.  One good year for the Cubs will never overshadow or displace 5 good years (in a row) for the Cardinals (and I am just including the past 5 years - not the past 15 years (since 2000) of basically Saint Louis Cardinals dominance of an entire division. 

Anyone remember this?:

...and especially this:

I will conclude with this:

NEVER COUNT OUT OR DISMISS THE SAINT LOUIS CARDINALS UNTIL THE FINAL STRIKE OR OUT IS CALLED.  THE 2011 SAINT LOUIS CARDINALS NEVER DID AND IT WON THEM THE SECOND MOST WORLD SERIES WINS THEN ANY OTHER TEAM. 

I just saw next years schedule King.  Your Cardinals come to Baltimore to play my Orioles.  The O's play the NL Central.  I am not sure if we go to St Louis?  The Cubs are truly the team to beat but I tell you the Dodgers have one hell of a pitching staff.  So to me the NLCS is going to come down to the Cubs and Dodgers.  The Dodgers not only have Kershaw to start out their rotation, they have a monster of a bullpen.

Now, how about those O's?  What a shut down win in Boston last night.  Gausman was lights out.  Trumbo hit one into the streets and we are 1 game out of first.  With us taking care of our own business vs a team we should beat (Tampa), yet a pesky team, and a little help from a desperate Yankee team, we could return to first place tonight?  I hope.  But I am confident we will be in first place before the weekend is finished.  I love our chances.  Darren O'Day is coming off the DL.  So be warned.  He is a great set up man as are Brach and Givens.  We have the power.  The Orioles may break the all time record for Home Runs in a year and yes, they may also break the record for fewest stolen bases in a year.  I believe that record belongs to the Washington Senators of 1913!! 

2 hours ago, redrum said:

G**damned Giants sweep the Diamondbacks, then get swept by the Padres. Unbelievable. Are they giving the division to L.A. as a gift? Sure as hell seems like it.

The  Dodgers will win the division.  No doubt.   And my Orioles are going to take the East.  And then are going to play the Cubs for it all!  But I do worry about those Cubs.  If things go South for us I would be behind the Cubs and Dodgers big time.   I would like to see the Cubs win one.  But I want to see the Orioles win one now.  And they have all the weapons to do it.  They are about to break the all time record for Home Runs.   They are loaded!!!!  Kick ass and take back the East tonight!!!!  Go O's and Go Yankees, for tonight.

Archived