2016 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL THREAD

SuperDave

11 hours ago, redrum said:

SF is a super letdown this year.

It really seems that it will come down to the wire as to which 2 teams make the Wild Card position in both Leagues.  That is all that I can say at this moment.  Hoping for the best, readying myself for the worst. 

4 hours ago, kingzoso said:

It really seems that it will come down to the wire as to which 2 teams make the Wild Card position in both Leagues.  That is all that I can say at this moment.  Hoping for the best, readying myself for the worst. 

Same here.   Very disappointing to lose game 1 with Gausman up.  Tillman must win for us today or we are in for a real fight.  Your team I think is going to get in because I just have no faith in the Giants right now.  They are useless unless Bumgartner is on the mound.  And Cueto has an injury I had heard?  The Dodgers are in.  A good thing in Skully's last year and to me the only team that pose any threat to the Cubs and that is not a huge one.  Their pitching is very good so that gives them a shot if their offense is very good.  Arrieta pitches tonight for the Cubs, likely his last start til game 1 of the post season.   If the Dodgers do play the Cubs, if I were the Cubs i  would save Arrieta for game two and not pit him against Kershaw?  As for my team, if they can somehow win all 5 games, a tall order with their recent play, they are in.  No matter what the Tigers or Astros or Mariners or Toronto do.  We just cannot afford to get swept in Toronto.  I expect a win today vs a very over rated Liriano who they got from the Pirates.  Our big bats must show up.  I see your boys are playing that pesky Cincy club.  They have been a team that is very streaky and can score for sure. I expect them and Milwaukee to be tougher next year.  

If the Mets and G-Men do make it as the Wild Cards, it will most likely be a contest to see which one will go on to get annihilated by the Cubs....  :lol:

But--if the Giants do advance--I wouldn't be shocked at all if they did beat the Cubs. As I've said many times before, the G-Men have the pedigree and they know how to win in October--you can't say the same thing about the Cubbies. Although, I get the feeling Joe Maddon's Cubs are a different breed....

3 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

If the Mets and G-Men do make it as the Wild Cards, it will most likely be a contest to see which one will go on to get annihilated by the Cubs....  :lol:

But--if the Giants do advance--I wouldn't be shocked at all if they did beat the Cubs. As I've said many times before, the G-Men have the pedigree and they know how to win in October--you can't say the same thing about the Cubbies. Although, I get the feeling Joe Maddon's Cubs are a different breed....

The Cubs might be a team of destiny like the '85 Bears?  I mean, who in the hell wants to play them?  They are a wrecking machine.  SF would get destroyed by them.  And I must say the Mets would be in trouble also without al of their pitchers.  Does anyone know if the first series is best of 5 rather than 7?   I think it is?

Man does Tillman need to fucking come through tonight.  This TV might be air born if he doesn't

34 minutes ago, redrum said:

Will SF lose their way into the playoffs? :blink:

Not to be a DIck, but I hope so.  I expect that you feel the same way about my Saint Louis Cardinals. 

I will say that with the recent successes of the Giants and the Cardinals (in the past 5 years), I find it somewhat hard to fathom that these two teams are currently in a tight race to just make a Wild Card appearance. 

I will admit that I do not like the Cubs, Dodgers, Nationals (and the Giants).  I respect every MLB team, these are just the National League teams that I do not like or want to see or be in the World Series, much less win the 2016 World Series. 

If the Saint Louis Cardinals fail to make it to the 2016 Post-Season, I will be rooting for the Texas Rangers to win it all.  After all, I am a resident of Texas (Plano) and I have been to a couple of Rangers games in the past couple of years.  Every MLB team deserves to be in and win the World Series, but if the Cardinals are out, I do think that the Texas Rangers should have that "honor" of being crowned World Series Champions. 

3 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Not to be a DIck, but I hope so.  I expect that you feel the same way about my Saint Louis Cardinals. 

I will say that with the recent successes of the Giants and the Cardinals (in the past 5 years), I find it somewhat hard to fathom that these two teams are currently in a tight race to just make a Wild Card appearance. 

I will admit that I do not like the Cubs, Dodgers, Nationals (and the Giants).  I respect every MLB team, these are just the National League teams that I do not like or want to see or be in the World Series, much less win the 2016 World Series. 

If the Saint Louis Cardinals fail to make it to the 2016 Post-Season, I will be rooting for the Texas Rangers to win it all.  After all, I am a resident of Texas (Plano) and I have been to a couple of Rangers games in the past couple of years.  Every MLB team deserves to be in and win the World Series, but if the Cardinals are out, I do think that the Texas Rangers should have that "honor" of being crowned World Series Champions. 

Thanks for that info.  So if my Orioles get to go to Texas I will have double motivation!!!!  LOL.  You know King, I just read that if our teams are tied in a WC race they would play a one game playoff to get the WC  Then they would have to play the actual WC.  Imagine that nighmare.  It would deplete the pitching staff moving forward.  

NOW DOES ANYONE KNOW IF HTE BEST OF 5 FORMAT IS STILL IN PLAY IN THE FIRST SERIES?  I MEAN AFTER THE ONE OFF WILD CARD GAME?

6 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

^^ Go back & read some of the older posts--yes, the AL & NL Divisional series are "Best of Five"...  :P

OK, thanks.  Tonights game in Toronto is a playoff game in some ways.  An Orioles win would be huge.  WE could grab the number one seed.  Toronto must to to Boston and we go to NY.  Detroit goes to Atlanta and Freddie Freeman who has a 30 game live hitting streak!!!!!  Best in the bigs all year.  I do not think the Braves are a pushover.

24 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

Congrats Rick and ebk--the Orioles are now tied with the Jays in the Wild Card hunt. Although, looking at ESPN's standings page, Toronto is still on top--I'm assuming they have some kind of tiebreaker over the O's....

I AM LOVIN THIS!!!!!!  ON TO NY TO PLAY THE YANKEES.   We are in the drivers seat now.   Thanks by the way.  We do need to finish. 

17 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Thanks for that info.  So if my Orioles get to go to Texas I will have double motivation!!!!  LOL.  You know King, I just read that if our teams are tied in a WC race they would play a one game playoff to get the WC  Then they would have to play the actual WC.  Imagine that nighmare.  It would deplete the pitching staff moving forward.  

I still believe in the Saint Louis Cardinals to make a run for the Championship.  I will say this, if the Cardinals and Rangers are knocked out, believe it or not, I would rather see your Orioles win the 2016 World Series then the Cubs.  It makes it kind of funny to me that the Chicago Cubs have not won a Worlds Series in over 108 years.  Just the fact that 108 years is more than a Century and the Chicago Cubs have not achieved that Championship Title in Baseball is amusing too Me. 

7 hours ago, kingzoso said:

I still believe in the Saint Louis Cardinals to make a run for the Championship.  I will say this, if the Cardinals and Rangers are knocked out, believe it or not, I would rather see your Orioles win the 2016 World Series then the Cubs.  It makes it kind of funny to me that the Chicago Cubs have not won a Worlds Series in over 108 years.  Just the fact that 108 years is more than a Century and the Chicago Cubs have not achieved that Championship Title in Baseball is amusing too Me. 

Your team was very lucky last night the umpires walked off the field on a ground ruled double.   The game should not have been over.  Cincy has protested the game.  I do not blame them.  But then again I have always hated ground ruled doubles.  Fenway is built for them.  Hell, you hit one deep to right center and the ball bounces into the bullpen.  

Well we have a tall order but last night was a huge win for my Orioles.  Now on to NY.  Pineda is pitching and how Vegas can have the Yankees as favorites in this game is beyond me.  We need to thoroughly kick their arse.  I do not like Buck Showalter's decision to pitch Gallardo but I am sure he is on a short leash.  No line or lineup posted for the Tigers yet? They have a double header staring them down.  Big rain out.  WE are1.5 up on them.  And we would own any tie breaker but I am not sure if there would be a playoff in a tie?  I think so.  That would put the WC winner at a disadvantage moving fowward as they would have used their top pitcher.  If we can go in and beat up Toronto like we did we can do the same to the Yankees.  Kick Ass!!!!!!!!!!

POST AND RUN KING NUTSO.   THAT IS ALL  HE DOES.  NEVER READS ANYONE'S POSTS BUT HIS OWN RHETORIC.  WELL, YOU ARE IN FOR RUDE AWAKENING WITH YOUR ST LOUIS DELUSIONS OF GRANDEUR .  

TIGER FANS BEWARE, THE BRAVES ARE ON FIRE.

Well...all these wild card implications and all I know is that the Angels will have no bearing on any of it. The Angels finish up the pathetic season (easily one of the worst in recent memory) against the Asstros.

So the Angels can neither help nor hurt the playoff chances of the other teams (Baltimore, Detroit, Toronto)...y'all are on your own. Good luck whichever team you root for.

Except for the Cardinals. :P

When it comes to the NL Wild Card, I would prefer to see the Mets and Giants make it above the Cardinals. No offense to Saint Louis, which has some fabulous BBQ and music joints.

Speaking of redrum's Giants...the grand career of Vin Scully comes to an end this weekend as he calls the last three games of his long and legendary tenure with the Dodgers. Appropriately, the games will be versus their most historic rival, the San Francisco Giants. Unfortunately the schedule-makers dropped the ball by not having the Dodgers finish at home.

Instead, Vin Scully's last call will be on the road in enemy territory. I can only hope, redrum, that your fellow Giants fans show Vin the proper respect.

There have been many great sports broadcasters, and in baseball in particular, going back to Red Barber and on up to Harry Carey. But there is only one Vin Scully.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/29/sports/baseball/vin-scully-los-angeles-dodgers-retire-broadcasting.html?_r=0&referer=http://www.google.com/

5 hours ago, Strider said:

Speaking of redrum's Giants...the grand career of Vin Scully comes to an end this weekend as he calls the last three games of his long and legendary tenure with the Dodgers. Appropriately, the games will be versus their most historic rival, the San Francisco Giants. Unfortunately the schedule-makers dropped the ball by not having the Dodgers finish at home.

Instead, Vin Scully's last call will be on the road in enemy territory. I can only hope, redrum, that your fellow Giants fans show Vin the proper respect.

If there isn't too much beer consumed on both sides.

SF has been spinning it's wheels since July, so there's bound to be some frustration vented.

7 hours ago, Walter said:

Bobble head night tonight at Yankee Stadium celebrating the late, great Roger Maris!

image.jpg

And no one there to get me one... ;)

It's raining quite hard up there, but the game goes on.  We just have to get through one more inning with the lead, then the skies can open up!

Adam Jones goes deep!!  Love that guy.

10 minutes ago, ebk said:

And no one there to get me one... ;)

It's raining quite hard up there, but the game goes on.  We just have to get through one more inning with the lead, then the skies can open up!

Adam Jones goes deep!!  Love that guy.

46 for TRUMBO!!!!!!!!!  Go Birds!!!!!

I saw and talked again to Jake Arrieta's mom the other night and she told me that when Jake was pitching last Friday (9/23) against the Cardinals, she was watching the game and she said that she was thinking about me.  I said to her that I kind of figured that she might have thought about me while watching her son pitch against the Cardinals.  She is a very nice lady and seems to like me even though I told her that the Cardinals are my favorite team.  Next time I see her I am going to tell her that Jake should convert and pitch for the Saint Louis Cardinals.  I bet she will laugh at that. 

Archived