2016 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL THREAD

SuperDave

1 hour ago, zepscoda said:

This break couldn't have come at a better time for the Rangers... 

The experts have the odds of all teams making the playoffs.  The Red Sox believe it or not, not so good.  Toronto just ahead of us.  We are at 77% and Yankees at 0%.  I mean, its crazy.   I even say they are in the wild card race, if they chose not to be sellers and trade Miller like many are predicting?  There are not many teams ahead of us at least.  The Giants have the lead, the Cubs are up there and Texas and Cleveland and the Nats.  Depending on if and where Rich Hill is traded to, things will change big time.

I really wish Bum had got that no hitter

5 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I am not so sure.  For the Cubs, winning the division is big to start.  Look how fast Madden has built them up.  If it takes another year to win a Series or get there so be it.  No way are they not going to win the Central.    Its their'.  Forget St Louis.  They are not catching the Cubs.  No way .. And my Orioles will not be caught either.  

I would not be so positive and so sure about what you are saying/posting.  As of this moment, the Saint Louis Cardinals are only 7 games behind the Chicago Cubs.  7 games ahead is a good lead, but not one to easily claim victory.  If the Cardinals come back from the All-Star break and win 5 in a row and the Cubs lose 5 in a row, that is now only a 2 game lead in the National League Central and their is still a whole second half of the 2016 season remaining. 

As for your Orioles, they only hold a 2 game lead over Boston and Toronto.  The same logic applies to the Orioles.  They lose 5 in a row and Boston and Toronto win 5 games in a row and your beloved Orioles are now 3 games behind both these teams. 

Now, on a note that might rile you up a little, the Saint Louis Cardinals have been to the Post-Season 12 times in the past 15 years.  How many times have the Baltimore Orioles been to the Post-Season in that same time span?  Please no acrid or vile comments.  Just think about what I am saying/posting and give the correct answer. 

NEVER COUNT OUT THE SAINT LOUIS CARDINALS for the reason I just said.  12/15.

Edited to add:  You once said that my posts about the Cardinals were "long-winded" and you would not endure reading them anymore.  Even though my posts were not that long winded, you have to realize that you have me beat in that regard.  My posts are in complete sentences with that appropriate commas and proper grammar and punctuation.  Your posts are mostly "run on" sentences with plenty typographical, punctuation and spelling mistakes.  I really am sorry to be the one to point this out to you but it really is true. 

Good Luck to your Baltimore Orioles.  That is how people who do not agree on things conduct themselves in a respectful manner. 

On July 11, 2016 at 1:46 AM, kingzoso said:

I would not be so positive and so sure about what you are saying/posting.  As of this moment, the Saint Louis Cardinals are only 7 games behind the Chicago Cubs.  7 games ahead is a good lead, but not one to easily claim victory.  If the Cardinals come back from the All-Star break and win 5 in a row and the Cubs lose 5 in a row, that is now only a 2 game lead in the National League Central and their is still a whole second half of the 2016 season remaining. 

As for your Orioles, they only hold a 2 game lead over Boston and Toronto.  The same logic applies to the Orioles.  They lose 5 in a row and Boston and Toronto win 5 games in a row and your beloved Orioles are now 3 games behind both these teams. 

Now, on a note that might rile you up a little, the Saint Louis Cardinals have been to the Post-Season 12 times in the past 15 years.  How many times have the Baltimore Orioles been to the Post-Season in that same time span?  Please no acrid or vile comments.  Just think about what I am saying/posting and give the correct answer. 

NEVER COUNT OUT THE SAINT LOUIS CARDINALS for the reason I just said.  12/15.

Edited to add:  You once said that my posts about the Cardinals were "long-winded" and you would not endure reading them anymore.  Even though my posts were not that long winded, you have to realize that you have me beat in that regard.  My posts are in complete sentences with that appropriate commas and proper grammar and punctuation.  Your posts are mostly "run on" sentences with plenty typographical, punctuation and spelling mistakes.  I really am sorry to be the one to point this out to you but it really is true. 

Good Luck to your Baltimore Orioles.  That is how people who do not agree on things conduct themselves in a respectful manner. 

St Louis has had plenty of success and so have the Yankees.  The Yankees have probably about the same odds as the Cardinals to rally to win their division though I think the Cardinals likely on paper I would give a better shot.  I am not saying anything is over but I do not see the Cubs laying down and blowing this.  If they do, I will be shocked.  And ST Louis has not played well this year and i am sure you will agree with that.  They are about 3 games over 500.  My Orioles are 15 games over.  WE have made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years.   This is a very good team, and the rotation issue will be addressed  I believe that getting rid of Jiminez, starting Bundy and pursuing Rich Hill  or Hellisckson can put them over the top.  We have 5 players with over 50 RBI's.  We lead the major leagues in HRs.  Are you going to just ignore this?  Go right ahead.  I still feel we are the best team in the East and are one roster move away from competing for the whole thing.  Of the teams that are now not in and could rally to get in, I personally believe Houston is the most dangerous.  The Astros yes.  If they get Keichel to pitch like he did last year, look out.  They have already made a big run.  The White Sox could be a sleeper too.  The Indians are a team that are not going away.  Nor are the Nationals.  Or the Dodgers.  The Dodgers have a bullpen that is tremendous. If your team starts to play like they can rally, I do think a Wild Card is well within their reach

^^ Heh, I don't get that one either--I must have missed some note about the All Star Game this year? I'm also wondering how many guys are sitting out because of injury--I saw Kershaw sitting on the bench & he no doubt would have been starting if he was 100%.... hmmmm.....

Teeing off on Cueto, the American League--not sure if I should care or not, depending on whether the Mets represent the NL in the World Series again.

And I'd rather not go into how stupid it is that home field for the Series rides on an exhibition game... :rolleyes:

29 minutes ago, Walter said:

How is the National League the away team when the game is being played in San Diego?!? :slapface: 

MLB, in all of their craven money grubbing ways started giving the All Star Game to cities that built new stadiums, but since they have to alternate "home" teams, it's the AL's turn this year, so... 

And I'm sorry about that sentence.  I'm eating dinner, but wanted you all to know this important information :) 

How dare Sherzer strike out my boy Wieters.  And speaking of Wieters, some CBS writer has me pissed saying he could be gone after this summer?   Why the hell would we let him get away?  I say no way.  We will match any offer.  We paid Davis $160 Million.   We will sell the city to keep Machado when the time comes.  I say Matt stays.  Unless they have a ton of promise in this kid that is supposed to be great that is coming in?  But I say they use him t grab a pitcher.  My fingers are crossed that we land Rich Hill from Oakland.  Or the Colombian from Atlanta.  Tehran.  Goldy just batted and those Arizona uniforms kind of grow on you.  

MLB did a great video on the 1971 All Star Classic.  Imagine Willie Mays coming to bat vs a young Vida Blue.  Well, it happened.  This is how they put it "22 hall of famers plus Pete Rose".  Poor Pete.  They need to just get over it and put him in.  While he is alive.  Curt Gowdy called the famous HR by Reggie Jackson, wearing Oakland Gold and Green that hit the transformer in Detroit.  The most monster of a blast I have ever seen.  Out in a golf cart came Ted Williams.  Johnny Bench, Brooks and Frank Robinson, Hank Aaron, Jim Palmer, Tom Seaver, and so many great names.  

Well Trumbo is up.  Gotta go

So basically the Cubs and the Giants can take their pedal off the metal. It doesn't matter now if they have the best record as it won't get them WS home field advantage since the AL won the All-Star game.

Which is kind of stupid way of deciding who gets home field in the World Series.

35 minutes ago, Strider said:

So basically the Cubs and the Giants can take their pedal off the metal. It doesn't matter now if they have the best record as it won't get them WS home field advantage since the AL won the All-Star game.

Which is kind of stupid way of deciding who gets home field in the World Series.

Doesn't seem to matter since the National League has lost the last 16 out of 20 All Star games.

10 hours ago, ebk said:

MLB, in all of their craven money grubbing ways started giving the All Star Game to cities that built new stadiums, but since they have to alternate "home" teams, it's the AL's turn this year, so... 

And I'm sorry about that sentence.  I'm eating dinner, but wanted you all to know this important information :) 

Home field in the WS was determined by an exhibition game in a National League park where the AL team was the home team.  Perfect. :) 

6 hours ago, Walter said:

Home field in the WS was determined by an exhibition game in a National League park where the AL team was the home team.  Perfect. :) 

Which is why I don't watch the All-Star bullshit anymore. Come to think of it...I have given up all of the all-star games of the major sports.

9 minutes ago, Strider said:

Which is why I don't watch the All-Star bullshit anymore. Come to think of it...I have given up all of the all-star games of the major sports.

I watched approx 1 1/2 innings before switching to a PBS show about the White House.  Strong night for tv watching! :lol: 

1 hour ago, Strider said:

It wasn't even on in my neck of the woods.

18 hours ago, Strider said:

To be fair (and I hate being fair...), home field for the WS alternated between the AL and the NL no matter who had the best record before this garbage started.  Just like the ASG did.  

Until it didn't.

I have a very strong feeling that the Saint Louis Cardinals are going to come back in this second half of the season and catch up to, or overtake the Chicago Cubs lead in the National League Central.  The Cardinals know what must be done and if there ever was a team to do just that, it is the Saint Louis Cardinals. 

(Even if some people on this topic dislike or hate the Cardinals, what I say is actually true.  When it comes down to it, the Cardinals know how to win games and win games when it actually matters.  Or they could falter and come back again next year.  My money is on the former). 

GO CARDINALS!!!

On July 13, 2016 at 2:23 AM, Strider said:

Its still far better than the NFL's stupid All Star game which is beach ball between a bunch of millionaire's in Hawaii.  The NBA is just a shooing contest and the NHL game is skate and shoot without checking.   So 

9 hours ago, kingzoso said:

I have a very strong feeling that the Saint Louis Cardinals are going to come back in this second half of the season and catch up to, or overtake the Chicago Cubs lead in the National League Central.  The Cardinals know what must be done and if there ever was a team to do just that, it is the Saint Louis Cardinals. 

(Even if some people on this topic dislike or hate the Cardinals, what I say is actually true.  When it comes down to it, the Cardinals know how to win games and win games when it actually matters.  Or they could falter and come back again next year.  My money is on the former). 

GO CARDINALS!!!

A CBS capper says he believes the Cardinals and Pirates will be the wild cards.  Meaning the Dodges will have to fold.  No way says I.  I will take the Dodgers to make it.  St Louis, a wild card opportunity for sure.  Pittsburgh to fold the tents.  

How the hell can the Orioles with Gallardo up be underdogs to the Tampa team?  I do not care the game is at empty Tropicana field where more Orange and Black will be on hand than Ray fans.  Show me!!!!  Money down.  No respect.  Thats fine.  I will just keep pounding my boys.  The Red Sox made a big move and got the kid from SD.  I cant spell his name, starts with a P.  He has good era but they say the competition will be far tougher now.  I am just hoping to read later that my Orioles have done something.  Like dumped Jiminez, added Bundy to the rotation as promised, and signed Rich Hill.  The latter may be tough as we have plenty of competition.  But would you not want to play for this Orioles team that is loaded on offense and defense and is in first place?  Where better to go?

Archived