2016 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL THREAD

SuperDave

54 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

Even with this possible sweep today, I believe we will still be trailing the Nats by 4 games. Certainly not insurmountable odds, but there will be a point when I have to start thinking "Wild Card"....

Nice job New York Mets for taking care of the Chicago Cubs. 

13 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

The only team that can beat the Cubs and the only team the Cubs cant beat.  Just like these bottom feeding fish Mariners.  Now 3 over 500 courtesy of us, we likely will not see them in the playoffs.  Time to stomp them into submission.Go out and keep  your promise to us fans Buck and get us a fucking starter. Are you going to blow this team up because you are too damn proud to know you have to do it?

The lowly A's almost swept the Giants. Gotta get it out of the system, I guess.

10 hours ago, redrum said:

The lowly A's almost swept the Giants. Gotta get it out of the system, I guess.

The lowly Mariners DID sweep our ass's.  Some of our guys looked lazy in that series.  i think Buck is on them after this?  When will they wake up and get rid of Jiminez the piece of shit?  And they send Wilson to the minors.  He is the guy that pitched a 3 hit shutout of Boston at Fenway.  Then he was not as good but still better than this piece of garbage Jiminez. What does Buck want to do?  Wait until they fucking catch us?  We are still 4 up by the grace of God and the collapse of Boston's staff.  I expect Gallardo to beat the Dodgers tonight.  The Dodgers are good but do not have the firepower we have

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I expect Gallardo to beat the Dodgers tonight.  The Dodgers are good but do not have the firepower we have

SF better not start slipping either.

A rare treat to hear Vin Scully call the Orioles.  I learned more about JJ Hardy in 5 minutes than in the last 3 years.  I am going watch the Dodgers feed on this rare visit

I have always admired Scully.  One of the truly great announcers and he is I am sure enjoying this matchup that is very very rare.  The Orioles almost never go to LA to play the Dodgers.  Gary Thorne, our announcer is great too and I was pretty mad when he left hockey. He was a great hockey announcer for ESPN who bailed on the NHL>  We are up 3-0 and I hope this holds up.  We need this one

Oriole visits to Dodger Stadium:     1966   (World Series-note, Jim Palmer was last KO recorded by Sandy Koufax),  1986,   and 2004.   That is it!!!!!!    So last visit was 12 years ago, and only two regular season visits ever

3 hours ago, zepscoda said:

Rangers have always hit Price well...really would be nice if they take this game.

Thanks for the help.  This game is only the 5th the Orioles have ever played in LA vs the Dodgers in the regular season.  Vin Scully just pointed out Jim Palmer won his first and last World Series games 17 years apart.  Against Koufax and Carleton.  Tome pretty big names.

What a win for the Orioles in only their second trip EVER in the regular season to Dodger stadium since the 1966 World Series when we swept the Dodgers and Sandy Koufax with Jim Palmer leading the way.  Today was the second victory in regular season there ever.  Yesterday was the first.  We had been 0-4  there previously.  Obviously with far lesser talent than this team has.  And our pitching woes are going to be rectified.  Even if we do not acquire an arm on the open market, Dylan Bundy is primed and ready to join the rotation.  And Buck has finally had it with Jiminez.  Bundy pitched 3 innings in extra's today with 7 KO's!!!!!!  Yes 7 strike outs.   He has a killer arm and the smoothness of a seasoned veteran.  Look out!!!!!!

Big win for the Metropolitans tonight--perhaps setting the tone for the rest of the series. Not that I'm looking for a 4 game sweep--however nice that would be.

Tomorrow's pitching matchup looks good on paper, but I try not to get too hyped about that sort of thing, because more often than not, they fail to live up to the hype--tomorrow could be another slugfest, like tonight....

9 hours ago, redrum said:

As of today, SF has the best record in the majors. :)

GO GIANTS!!

See you on August 12,13,14 and I will be in the house on the 14th.  Day game.  4 pm back East.  I have written O's management requesting they do two things.  Go after Hill, the pitcher from Oakland.  I doubt the A's would deal him though.  So if we fix things in house we need to put Dylan Bundy in the starting rotatioin as suggested by hall of famer Jim Palmer the other night when he struck out 7 of 9 Dodgers.  This kid is going to live up to the hype.  You should have seen the beauty in his pitching performance.  Put him in and get rid of Jiminez who for reasons unknown to me is getting another chance tonight by Buck.  What the hell is he thinking?  I guess we will have to score 10 to win tonight.  Do able in our yard.  Shoemaker, another guy on my list goes against us tonight.  I am probably dreaming if i think the Angels wont send Jiminez to an early shower.  Maybe its for the best to put the final nail in his coffin.   Get rid of him so he cant kill us later.  He sucks.  

Oh, sorry about Harvey Paul.  You guys have one hell of a staring rotation still

^^ Yeah, the Harvey news sucks--but, if there's a silver lining--it's that he will have the surgery sometime soon, meaning he will be back ready to go in 2017.

And as you said Rick, we still have one hell of a rotation even with Harvey going down. I'm very intrigued to see what happens in tonight's game vs. the Nats...

2 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

^^ Yeah, the Harvey news sucks--but, if there's a silver lining--it's that he will have the surgery sometime soon, meaning he will be back ready to go in 2017.

And as you said Rick, we still have one hell of a rotation even with Harvey going down. I'm very intrigued to see what happens in tonight's game vs. the Nats...

The Mets starting rotation, the Dodgers bullpen, Baltimore's infield, Boston's outfield = a team that is unbeatable.  Now back to reality.  I want Hill and i want him bad.  But if we cant get a guy of his caliber, and we know the A's are sellers, maybe they would let him go for the rest of this year on a rent a player deal and have a deal where they could match any offer at seasons end?  If we must solve from within, we have Bundy who has been a monster of late.  I know he is ready.  And Darrin O'Day will be back first game after All Star game.  I hope tonight is not just Buck feeling obligated to give Jiminez one last chance?  He has had more than he deserves.  They may have to pull his sorry ass in the third inning.  Yes we can likely stay with them on the scoreboard unless Shoemaker has one hell of a night and he may?  He has been far better than his record, just like Gausman on our team.  I believe he is a knuckleballer?  Strider may remember?  Its his team.  How in the hell can one be an Angels fan over a Dodgers fan in LA?:lol:Let the shit fly!!!  If the Dodgers had Trout there would be hell to pay.   You know Paul, they say Sherzer was a big snubb for the All Star game?  Maybe his record?  To me Davis even with all his strike outs should have been a reserve simply because of his RBI's and HRs and his defensive ability that many do not realize.  But we have 5 in, and Machado is starting.  Trumbo just missed starting.  Granted his defense is not as good as a guy like Trout or Bradley.  But he does lead the majors in HRs and that includes big Poopie who I voted for on every single ballot and I voted on all 35.  I voted for Kinsler to get in as the last AL reserve.  But I am truly mad that Story or Lamb were not picked.  That is pure shit.

14 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

You know, I all but forgot about Kershaw being on the DL--meaning that either Arrieta or maybe Johnny Cueto starts the all star game this Tuesday???

i-dont-know-smiley-emoticon.gif

Sorry to hear about your added injuries, front page of CBS sports.  Syndergaurd and Cespedes?  Killer.  I do not know the extent.  I know my manager best get rid of that sack of shit Jiminez pronto.  I cannot believe they let him start over Wright  So they gave the game away in the 2nd inning when they had to pull his sorry ass.  This is  a damn good baseball team.  I will say a great team.  they simply need to get this guy out, put Dylan Bundy in as is the plan I hear and I heard three names on the shopping list.  At the top of my list is Hill.  But I saw the name Liriano of the Pirates.  No thanks.  Why do we get the Pirates garbage?  I hope not.  Hellisckson's name is being tossed around too.  I just saw that Rich Hill is likely the most sought after pitcher.  As for relievers they say Andrew Miller could be dealt by the Yankees.  Does this mean they realize they are truly sellers this year?  They actually know they cannot win?  That skinny little shit is likely going to the National League.  Him and his in the dirt garbage.  If you have patience you can kill him. Back to the starters, I am sure hoping that the Orioles pony up and go after Hill.  What will he cost?  Well I would reluctantly offer a package of Flaherty ( a very underated infielder that can play 3rd, SS and can hit with power), with Caleb Joseph, who is defensively a great catcher who has a ton of potential and can hit for power but is in a long slump.  He has been injured in his defense.  Also we could toss in Jiminez with some cash, LOL>  And we have some guys in AAA that have been up on the big team like McFarland and Janish that they could also take in a package.  I am not sure what Oakland needs though.  Much would be a fast answer. I sure hope that Boston does not land Hill.  I would think Oakland would prefer the Orioles get him over Texas?  Or Houston.  They would prefer to deal him to the NL I am sure.  But if its the AL, its the Orioles or Red Sox I believe

On 7/8/2016 at 9:30 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

See you on August 12,13,14 and I will be in the house on the 14th.  Day game.  4 pm back East. 

Could be a World Series preview. :)

6 hours ago, redrum said:

Could be a World Series preview. :)

Its possible.  I am hoping we can acquire a guy like Hill from Oakland.  If not, we must give the ball to Bundy and dump that garbage Jiminez.  Outside of him, we have enough to get it done.  O'Days return is going to be huge. Him and Brach are two solid set up guys.  Zach Britton and Davis of KC are the best closers in the American League.  I am not sure KC is going to survive?  They are in for a fight.  Houston is coming on.  And Detroit is still right there even after a 14 game streak by the Indians who look very good.  I would not completely rule out the White Sox either.  For a Wild Card.  I think the Dodgers are going to fight SF to the finish and the one that does not win the division gets the first Wild Card.  I think the break will serve the Cubs good.  I do not see them being caught.  I do believe the Nationals will win the East especially given the Mets injuries of late.  But I could be wrong on that one.  The Phillies have really improved.  I expect next year they and even Atlanta will be better.  If we play our cards right, no reason that we cannot be playing for the AL pennant vs a team like Cleveland or Toronto.  Cleveland has the best rotation right now.  That always counts.  We have the most power and we have over 5 player with over 50 RBI's.  I say the NL comes down to the Cubs, Giants and Dodgers but the Nats cant be ruled out.  The Dodgers have the best bullpen going away.  They cannot be underestimated.  The Cubs have the best team on the field.  The All Star game should be OK.    I am pretty disgusted that two guys did not make it.  And NO, they are not from my team.   Story of Colorado and Lamb of Arizona.  

On 7/4/2016 at 6:40 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

A rare treat to hear Vin Scully call the Orioles.  I learned more about JJ Hardy in 5 minutes than in the last 3 years.  I am going watch the Dodgers feed on this rare visit

I have always admired Scully.  One of the truly great announcers and he is I am sure enjoying this matchup that is very very rare.  The Orioles almost never go to LA to play the Dodgers.  Gary Thorne, our announcer is great too and I was pretty mad when he left hockey. He was a great hockey announcer for ESPN who bailed on the NHL>  We are up 3-0 and I hope this holds up.  We need this one

Oriole visits to Dodger Stadium:     1966   (World Series-note, Jim Palmer was last KO recorded by Sandy Koufax),  1986,   and 2004.   That is it!!!!!!    So last visit was 12 years ago, and only two regular season visits ever

I am glad you got to hear Vin Scully call the Os-Dodgers. Vin Scully is a civic treasure who is going to leave a huge void when he retires. Dodger games will never sound the same...just as Laker games haven't since Chick Hearn died.

7 hours ago, Strider said:

I am glad you got to hear Vin Scully call the Os-Dodgers. Vin Scully is a civic treasure who is going to leave a huge void when he retires. Dodger games will never sound the same...just as Laker games haven't since Chick Hearn died.

I have always liked him.  I liked Curt Gowdy also when he was alive.  I am surprised you are not a Dodgers fan and an Angels fan?  Too bad right now.   The Dodgers are in the race and the Angels are not.  But its only one year.  The Angels have a better team than their record.    Pujols has seen his better days I do believe.  Trout and Calhoun are both top notch players.  They just had a major injury to one of their other good players.   The Dodgers are rock solid and to me are a certain threat to win the NL.  Kershaw will be back.   As for Vin Scully its the last time he will ever call an Orioles game unless by some freak chance we meet them in the World Series to have a repeat of 1966.  Possible but I still like the Cubs chances more  Many of the Baltimore players, some very young like Machado came up to have their picture taken with him.  Adam Jones also.  I am sure he appreciated the gesture as they know how big he has been in the game.  Its sad to see him go.  I hope he lives a long life after he walks away.  Great man.  He always gives you great info while he announces the game.  Thiings you cannot possibly learn on your own or even online.  He said things about some of the Orioles personal lives I had never heard.  Him and the late great Harry Carey will be in the baseball Hall of Fame forever. 

And I knew you would get a gnome EBK>  Lucky you!  You get all of these collectables that I wish I could get.  I wanted a shirt.  I think I am going to order a couple caps for our trip to SF.  We may be the only Orioles fans  in the season ticket area?  We will see.  Its a Sunday afternoon game.  We have to fly back the next day.  SF to Philly non stop.   Anyway Strider, if your plans go south, I will be in Rhodando beach on Aug 9. 10. 11 and plan to be in Hollywood and Beverly Hills on one of those days at least.  No doubt Santa Monica pier at some point.  

6 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I have always liked him.  I liked Curt Gowdy also when he was alive.  I am surprised you are not a Dodgers fan and an Angels fan?  Too bad right now.   The Dodgers are in the race and the Angels are not.  But its only one year.  The Angels have a better team than their record.    Pujols has seen his better days I do believe.  Trout and Calhoun are both top notch players.  They just had a major injury to one of their other good players.   The Dodgers are rock solid and to me are a certain threat to win the NL.  Kershaw will be back.   As for Vin Scully its the last time he will ever call an Orioles game unless by some freak chance we meet them in the World Series to have a repeat of 1966.  Possible but I still like the Cubs chances more  Many of the Baltimore players, some very young like Machado came up to have their picture taken with him.  Adam Jones also.  I am sure he appreciated the gesture as they know how big he has been in the game.  Its sad to see him go.  I hope he lives a long life after he walks away.  Great man.  He always gives you great info while he announces the game.  Thiings you cannot possibly learn on your own or even online.  He said things about some of the Orioles personal lives I had never heard.  Him and the late great Harry Carey will be in the baseball Hall of Fame forever. 

And I knew you would get a gnome EBK>  Lucky you!  You get all of these collectables that I wish I could get.  I wanted a shirt.  I think I am going to order a couple caps for our trip to SF.  We may be the only Orioles fans  in the season ticket area?  We will see.  Its a Sunday afternoon game.  We have to fly back the next day.  SF to Philly non stop.   Anyway Strider, if your plans go south, I will be in Rhodando beach on Aug 9. 10. 11 and plan to be in Hollywood and Beverly Hills on one of those days at least.  No doubt Santa Monica pier at some point.  

I have explained countless times why I am an Angel fan...I'm exhausted.

How many are travelling with you, Rick? Just you and the missus? Or kids too? Do you want to go see Jeff Beck and Buddy Guy at the Hollywood Bowl August 10? I can check on tickets for you.

The Cubs won today, but before that they had quite the losing streak going. Which is to be expected over the course of 162 games--I don't think anyone was realistically expecting them to break the record for wins in a season.

I think I might agree with Christopher Russo from the MLB Network, in that as far as the Cubs go, it's all about October--winning the division, getting to the playoffs, it's not enough; you got to win a championship....

3 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

The Cubs won today, but before that they had quite the losing streak going. Which is to be expected over the course of 162 games--I don't think anyone was realistically expecting them to break the record for wins in a season.

I think I might agree with Christopher Russo from the MLB Network, in that as far as the Cubs go, it's all about October--winning the division, getting to the playoffs, it's not enough; you got to win a championship....

I am not so sure.  For the Cubs, winning the division is big to start.  Look how fast Madden has built them up.  If it takes another year to win a Series or get there so be it.  No way are they not going to win the Central.    Its their'.  Forget St Louis.  They are not catching the Cubs.  No way .. And my Orioles will not be caught either.  The only thing that could swing the scales is Rich Hill.  If we get him, its lights out.  If he goes elsewhere?  Well then we have a fight on our hands.  If he is in the East I mean.  Dylan Bundy is going to start and i say he will be a success.  And he may be our best starter after the All Star game.  Kick ass Trumbo.  Go het the HR derby my boy!!!!!

I hope Bumgarner gets this no hitter. And at some point the Arizona team likely does too?  If it was that asshole Ventura I am sure they would be pulling all the stops to ruin it.  I wonder here?  Lamb up, 5 to go.  Ouch.  I just jinxed him.  Fuck

Archived