Seattle 3/17/75 Appreciation

RockDude4492

Hello All,

So in anticipation for the impending release of the 3/21/75 Seattle soundboard, I decided to go back and listen to the soundboard from 4 nights prior in Seattle, the EVSD release Haven't We Met Somewhere Before? I haven't seen much discussion here, but man does that show kick some major sort of butt! The whole band is on fire throughout the entire show. Even Robert Plant, who as we all know was not in top form during this tour, was reaching at least late-'73 levels IMO, which is significantly better than most other shows. I would also venture to say that the version of "Rock and Roll" from this show is the best '75 version that I'm aware of, in terms of performance from all four (though I still have yet to hear the 3/21 board since it's not available yet). "No Quarter" is also really cool. I love the jazzy/funky middle section versions, and this one certainly does not disappoint. "Dazed and Confused" rocks super hard and is comparatively concise (especially compared to 3/21). I will admit that "The Crunge" section of "Whole Lotta Love" is a bit messy, but still enjoyable.

I had spent a fair bit of time with the Vancouver shows, but hadn't really given this show a good listen, but I'm super glad I did. Anyone else really dig this show? Also, more importantly, anyone attend this show? Would love to hear any memories/anecdotes. 

3/17/75 is a great show, no doubt.  I would say that both Vancouver shows are even better, and obviously 3/21/75 is the best of them all.  If multi-tracks were available for the four Pacific Northwest shows from '75, that would make for a killer box set and/or "best of" compilation of the four nights for official release!  I mean, I think 3/21 especially is official release-worthy on its own, but surely a compilation of the four shows would meet Jimmy's standards if the tapes were available.

It will be a fun game for us to play once the 3/21 soundboard arrives to chime in on how we would compile a "best of" of the four shows, being able to compare them all in pristine sound quality.

+1

cheapskate as I am, my version of the March 19, Vancouver SB is on Scorpio(European copy cat label) and suffers from a kind of tape garble during the intro of the WLL jam. Does the EV source also has this flaw?

Inspired by your post I am listening to it now.  Another thing that stands out is the excellent sound of the piano in No Quarter.  Crystal clear and so strong.  Fantastic !  The piano/drums jam is special.  Then when Jimmy enters it goes to a whole different level. 

1 hour ago, John M said:

Inspired by your post I am listening to it now.  Another thing that stands out is the excellent sound of the piano in No Quarter.  Crystal clear and so strong.  Fantastic !  The piano/drums jam is special.  Then when Jimmy enters it goes to a whole different level. 

Agreed! It's such a great jam, fantastic interplay from everyone. 

The 17th is a great show, but not as good as either Vancouver show.  For some reason I like the audience recording better than the soundboard;  I don't know, NQ is amazing on the audience tape but seems a bit sluggish on the board.  Really great D&C from this night too, way above average for '75 and on par with the next three nights.  OTHAFA and TU are top-notch as well.  

4 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

The 17th is a great show, but not as good as either Vancouver show.  For some reason I like the audience recording better than the soundboard;  I don't know, NQ is amazing on the audience tape but seems a bit sluggish on the board.  Really great D&C from this night too, way above average for '75 and on par with the next three nights.  OTHAFA and TU are top-notch as well.  

^Funny you should mention that show, just put Snowblind on 1 minute before reading your post. I LOVE the SB of this. Nice and clear. Robert is right in front of you if you close your eyes. I'd call it GREAT quality. Sick Again now, unreal...

3 hours ago, rm2551 said:

^Funny you should mention that show, just put Snowblind on 1 minute before reading your post. I LOVE the SB of this. Nice and clear. Robert is right in front of you if you close your eyes. I'd call it GREAT quality. Sick Again now, unreal...

Yeah, the 2nd Vancouver show is probably the #3 night of the tour, even a tad better than the great Long Island shows from Feb.  Until 3-21 finally comes out, it's the best board from '75.

On 7/26/2017 at 10:37 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

Thanks for the reminder about Vancouver 1975.  I went back and listened to both shows.  Incredible !!

9 hours ago, John M said:

Thanks for the reminder about Vancouver 1975.  I went back and listened to both shows.  Incredible !!

For sure.  3/19, 3/20 & 3/21/75 is as good of a three show run as 6/21, 6/22 & 6/23/77 is in my opinion.

The guitar is quite low in the mix for the 3/17 soundboard, fortunately its higher in the mix for the 3/21 soundboard, as you can hear on Heartbreaker.

I recommend the dadgad version of the soundboard, godfathers of grunge is pretty good too, both equally good, speed corrected and remastered to lower the bass and bring out the guitar.

Ever heard Jimmy channel his inner Jimi, univibe and all? Listen to Trampled Underfoot from 3/17. He goes nuts. I honestly have listened to 3/17, 3/19, and 3/20 so many times, I really couldn't pick which show is better. I'd say 3/17 is the most experimental and wild, 3/19 is the most solid and consistent, and 3/20 is the hottest, pure fiery energy. I have to say Jimmy and Robert are the best on 3/21 though, so we've got a great soundboard coming. B)

3 hours ago, Dirty Work said:

The guitar is quite low in the mix for the 3/17 soundboard, fortunately its higher in the mix for the 3/21 soundboard, as you can hear on Heartbreaker.

I recommend the dadgad version of the soundboard, godfathers of grunge is pretty good too, both equally good, speed corrected and remastered to lower the bass and bring out the guitar.

Ever heard Jimmy channel his inner Jimi, univibe and all? Listen to Trampled Underfoot from 3/17. He goes nuts. I honestly have listened to 3/17, 3/19, and 3/20 so many times, I really couldn't pick which show is better. I'd say 3/17 is the most experimental and wild, 3/19 is the most solid and consistent, and 3/20 is the hottest, pure fiery energy. I have to say Jimmy and Robert are the best on 3/21 though, so we've got a great soundboard coming. B)

I mostly agree with this , although this show ( 3/17 ) kind of peters out after Moby Dick. It starts out really strong , and focused but Roberts voice becomes weaker after TUF, with lots more straining and split notes in Dazed and through the end. Also, Jimmy's fluency is not so great on Dazed, and his solo on Stairway sounds meandering and unfocused . WLL is way too long and uninspired in the jam and the Crunge is more like the Cringe!  Another show like that is Baton Rouge 75. First two thirds are kick ass and last third is more slap ass. 

I think the playing and energy on the 21st was more consistent from start to finish and I'm really keen to hear that board tape. 

Archived