The NBA 2017-2018 Thread

chef free

55 minutes ago, paplbojo said:

Not that it will happen, but if the LBJ led Cavs beat the Warriors I'd be ready to say he's the best ever. 

Not if he beats Houston, and of course not if he loses to either. 

And if the Cavs beat the Warriors, it would be two championships each and we would have an official rivalry and a script for next season!

I knew Boston would lose the moment Lebron snuffed Rozier's dunk attempt with 3:20 left in the 3rd quarter. I knew then that Lebron's will would be stronger than the Celtics. At least, the Celtics without Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward.

The fact that Boston made it this far without their two best players speaks volumes about the Eastern Conference and the lack of competition. Do you think Houston could make it to the Western Conference Finals without Harden and Paul? The Warriors without Curry and Durant?

I blame Toronto for this mess. If the Raptors had any balls at all, Cleveland wouldn't have even made it to the Conference Finals. It would have been Boston vs. Toronto.

Instead we get Lebron...again.

Everyone assumes Golden State will win tonight but I'm not so sure. They seem to struggle to reach 100 points lately on the road. Harden has yet to really have a great game...he figures to go off shooting-wise sometime and it could be tonight. The fact that Harden shot terrible in Game 5 and Houston still won was a troubling sign if you are a Warriors fan.

I have a friend in Houston and I'm getting first-hand accounts of the buzz in the city for tonight's game. This is why you win those games in the regular season...so that you can have Game 7 in your home arena.

28 minutes ago, Strider said:

I knew Boston would lose the moment Lebron snuffed Rozier's dunk attempt with 3:20 left in the 3rd quarter. I knew then that Lebron's will would be stronger than the Celtics. At least, the Celtics without Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward.

The fact that Boston made it this far without their two best players speaks volumes about the Eastern Conference and the lack of competition. Do you think Houston could make it to the Western Conference Finals without Harden and Paul? The Warriors without Curry and Durant?

I blame Toronto for this mess. If the Raptors had any balls at all, Cleveland wouldn't have even made it to the Conference Finals. It would have been Boston vs. Toronto.

Instead we get Lebron...again.

Everyone assumes Golden State will win tonight but I'm not so sure. They seem to struggle to reach 100 points lately on the road. Harden has yet to really have a great game...he figures to go off shooting-wise sometime and it could be tonight. The fact that Harden shot terrible in Game 5 and Houston still won was a troubling sign if you are a Warriors fan.

I have a friend in Houston and I'm getting first-hand accounts of the buzz in the city for tonight's game. This is why you win those games in the regular season...so that you can have Game 7 in your home arena.

My money was on the Cavs for the series.  I hate Boston.  But I will admit next year when they get Kyrie and Heyward back they are going to be damn tough.  So are the 76ers.  If the 76ers can cash in a good pick with the 10th pick and get a good FA, they are a player also for all the marbles.  

Tonight I am all in on Golden St.  Need them to only win the series.  Then I cash three parlays.  I also can score if the Capitals win tonight and the series. I am cheering for Golden st and Capitals tonight.  Damn shame they are on same time.  I have to wear out my new control as Direct TV was here yesterday to adjust my dish and give me the new Genie's.  The bookies in Vegas have GS at minus 6 on the road!!!!!  What does that tell you?  I will tell you.   It says they are emotionally dead.  They had their shot in game 6.  Up 17 they got rolled by 30.  Are you kidding me?  Harden is a one man band.  Golden St has too much.  Too  many weapons.  And Cleveland is dead in the final because they have no answer for their depth.  Unless Green and Korver play out of their minds.  Lebron is Lebron.  He can beat a depleted Boston team.  But beating the likes of Golden st is another story.  Best case for them is a Houston upset.  I do not see it or want it.  Harden will drive in the paint and get a few points that way.  But they will account for him and Gordon and CP3, even if able to go, is old and good in spurts.  I do not know his game status.  I do not really think it matters.  GS gave games 3 and 4 away.  Gifts.  2 point wins that never should have happened.  I expect Durant to bounce back tonight from a dismal performance.  Even with a bad performance by Durant they won by 30.  Yikes.  Golden st is going to give them a beat down.

Live by the 3.. Die by the 3.

what Boston was doing last night was working.  Then they started with their 3’s. No time off the clock, no drawing fouls, no no no. They were not falling, but they kept on chucking.  If they stuck to what was working, I think they might have won.

Lebron James was awesome but he also got every possible call he could.. the blatant ass kissing of this guy, his every calculated publicity stunt, his phony posturing, his calculated moves and facial expression every rare occasion something doesn’t go his way make me want to throw up. If he ever became a member of the Boston Celtics, I’d stop watching the sport until he left.  

On to Rick’s other favorites ...The Red Sox.. 

52 minutes ago, the chase said:

what Boston was doing last night was working.  Then they started with their 3’s. No time off the clock, no drawing fouls, no no no. They were not falling, but they kept on chucking.  If they stuck to what was working, I think they might have won.

Lebron James was awesome but he also got every possible call he could.. the blatant ass kissing of this guy, his every calculated publicity stunt, his phony posturing, his calculated moves and facial expression every rare occasion something doesn’t go his way make me want to throw up. If he ever became a member of the Boston Celtics, I’d stop watching the sport until he left.  

This.

By the way, the chase, I still have your NFL pool prize waiting. Need you to pm me your address. Bong-Man and PC got theirs.

1 hour ago, paplbojo said:

Active attempt on the part of the referees to see the Warriors advance.

Ah come on, a couple of missed calls is not a conspiracy, the bad calls even out over the series.  Golden State just out lasted the Rockets.  The loss of Chris Paul balanced the loss of Andre Iguodala. Bring on LeBron and the Cavs!

Golden State Warriors Western Conference Champions 2018!

14 hours ago, paplbojo said:

Active attempt on the part of the referees to see the Warriors advance.

Ignoring the fact that the refs called quick fouls on Klay Thompson, essentially knocking him out in the first half. Ignoring the fact that Houston shot more free throws than Golden State. Ignoring the fact that it wasn't the refs missing 27 3-pointers in a row.

Your post explains a lot.

13 hours ago, chef free said:

Ah come on, a couple of missed calls is not a conspiracy, the bad calls even out over the series.  Golden State just out lasted the Rockets.  The loss of Chris Paul balanced the loss of Andre Iguodala. Bring on LeBron and the Cavs!

Lesson for Cleveland: Better get a 20-point or more half-time lead. Because Golden State goes nuclear in the third quarter. It was stunning how quickly Golden State eradicated those double-digit deficits in the third quarters of Games 6 and 7.

James Harden chokes again...just as he did in OKC and in previous series in Houston. He is a great player...great in the regular season. But he does not have a defining game when it matters. He is not Lebron. He is not Curry.

Game 7 also showed the downside of the "3-pointers all the time" approach...and D'Antoni's weakness as a coach. When Harden, Ariza and company are throwing brick after brick up there, it might be a good time to try something different...drive-and-dish, move the ball and work for a better shot. Watching Harden dribble 25 times before hoisting a three or pass it to a teammate with 3 seconds on the shot clock got tiresome really fast. 

What the Warriors are able to do is amazing and they are a great team, no doubt. But the quality of basketball as a whole around the league is terrible. Even these playoff games have been mostly terrible to watch. Game 7 of Boston-Cleveland reminded me of those ugly Miami-Utah games, where it was a struggle to reach 60 points. Everyone seems to have become 3-point crazy and forgotten how to make a midrange jumper or run a fastbreak.

If Golden State is healthy and interested, they should beat Cleveland in five games max. If they lollygag and don't take Cleveland seriously, Lebron will probably win a couple games before the Warriors get serious. 

Then, there's also the possibility that Draymond Green gets baited again and loses his mind and gets suspended for the series. In which case, Golden State has no one who can stop Lebron.

On 5/28/2018 at 12:33 PM, the chase said:

Live by the Three, Die by the Three could be Houston's motto as well!  Missed 27 Tres IN A ROW?!?!?!

Yeah, seeing "the greatest player of all time" whining about every call (even though he lives at the line) looks bad!  Same for Harden and Westbrook, who do they think they are?  Quit chirpin' at the refs and play ball!

16 hours ago, Strider said:

Lesson for Cleveland: Better get a 20-point or more half-time lead. Because Golden State goes nuclear in the third quarter. It was stunning how quickly Golden State eradicated those double-digit deficits in the third quarters of Games 6 and 7.

James Harden chokes again...just as he did in OKC and in previous series in Houston. He is a great player...great in the regular season. But he does not have a defining game when it matters. He is not Lebron. He is not Curry.

Game 7 also showed the downside of the "3-pointers all the time" approach...and D'Antoni's weakness as a coach. When Harden, Ariza and company are throwing brick after brick up there, it might be a good time to try something different...drive-and-dish, move the ball and work for a better shot. Watching Harden dribble 25 times before hoisting a three or pass it to a teammate with 3 seconds on the shot clock got tiresome really fast. 

What the Warriors are able to do is amazing and they are a great team, no doubt. But the quality of basketball as a whole around the league is terrible. Even these playoff games have been mostly terrible to watch. Game 7 of Boston-Cleveland reminded me of those ugly Miami-Utah games, where it was a struggle to reach 60 points. Everyone seems to have become 3-point crazy and forgotten how to make a midrange jumper or run a fastbreak.

If Golden State is healthy and interested, they should beat Cleveland in five games max. If they lollygag and don't take Cleveland seriously, Lebron will probably win a couple games before the Warriors get serious. 

Then, there's also the possibility that Draymond Green gets baited again and loses his mind and gets suspended for the series. In which case, Golden State has no one who can stop Lebron.

I agree with all  you say here.  Harden is not Lebron or Curry.  I thought Golden st was in real trouble in game 7.  Thought my money was out the window.  I turned back to the hockey game, which I cared more about anyway, and when I changed back I could not believe my eyes.

On this Monday morning we wake up to find both the Warriors and Capitals two wins away from their respective championships.

My wish is for them to not dillydally and prolong the inevitable. Get these series over this week so we can put the season in the rear-view mirror and get on with the summer.

Don't fuck around in Cleveland, Curry & Co. Sweep the Cavs and put them out of their misery.

18 minutes ago, Strider said:

On this Monday morning we wake up to find both the Warriors and Capitals two wins away from their respective championships.

My wish is for them to not dillydally and prolong the inevitable. Get these series over this week so we can put the season in the rear-view mirror and get on with the summer.

Don't fuck around in Cleveland, Curry & Co. Sweep the Cavs and put them out of their misery.

:yesnod:

On 6/8/2018 at 11:43 PM, paul carruthers said:

Another yawn of an NBA Finals--if I actually cared to watch (I didn't), but I can guess the sports shows will be praising the Warriors and maybe burying Lebron about his Finals record. About to fall asleep as I type...

😔

You know during game one I was actually starting to root for LBJ for the first time ever...then Smith went JR and wrecked a great team performance. But after seeing LBJ’s shenanigans following their sweep I can never get behind him as an athelete. The whole “I punched the white board after game 1” bullshit coming to life, wearing a soft cast for the first time after game 4 to get sympathy...  He is such a look at me, feel sorry for me, I’m King James, etc etc bullshit, is so tired and played out it’s a joke.  Is he the most talented guy in his era, yeah probably so, but everything else that comes with his on the court/after the game spoiled brat attitude really makes him a non-discussion candidate for the all-time greatest category.  There are at least 10 players I’d put ahead of him given their drive, desire, professionalism, and talent - over the self-proclaimed current “King” of the NBA.

Congrats to the Warriors. Dominating performance.

On 6/4/2018 at 4:05 PM, Strider said:

I was wondering if the Warriors might have layed down in game 4?  I mean, you not only can win it at home in front of your fans, but there is millions of dollars in revenue to consider.  Golden st lost a ton of money by not coming home for another game.

On 6/11/2018 at 4:27 PM, Anjin-san said:

Thus say the d-bag.

I thought I would read one of your ignorant posts.  Is this all you have to do is chase me around the forum and call me names?  You are the biggest jackass on this board.  Back on ignore you go

On 6/11/2018 at 12:32 PM, Walter said:

You know during game one I was actually starting to root for LBJ for the first time ever...then Smith went JR and wrecked a great team performance. But after seeing LBJ’s shenanigans following their sweep I can never get behind him as an athelete. The whole “I punched the white board after game 1” bullshit coming to life, wearing a soft cast for the first time after game 4 to get sympathy...  He is such a look at me, feel sorry for me, I’m King James, etc etc bullshit, is so tired and played out it’s a joke.  Is he the most talented guy in his era, yeah probably so, but everything else that comes with his on the court/after the game spoiled brat attitude really makes him a non-discussion candidate for the all-time greatest category.  There are at least 10 players I’d put ahead of him given their drive, desire, professionalism, and talent - over the self-proclaimed current “King” of the NBA.

Congrats to the Warriors. Dominating performance.

I cheered for him against the Celtics who I absolutely hate.  But speaking of Boston, has anyone seen Chase lately?  Hope the old chap is ok?  I dont like his teams but that means nothing.  I like him.

Archived