Benazir Bhutto is dead.

Ishita

Wait, wait, wait.......you mean to tell me you think cracking some VERY lame joke about LZ not playing Pakistan now is actually appropriate?

Then pray tell how "appropriate" was this little jab of yours:

Fuck the world. Tallest blade of grass always gets cut first. Speak out for others, you'll be silenced. If there's a God, he stopped giving a damn what happens down here.

If I were you I wouldn't be playing board moderator (once again) and telling others what is "appropriate" and what isn't after that ignorant remark you made in your very first post in this thread.

SteveAJones, this is a serious topic, and Zeppelin can't fix it. Zeppelin have nothing to do with it. Music is important, yes, but ultimately world affairs are more important and have a greater impact, and unfortunatly things like music cannot fix them. I agree with electrophile: they need peace, saftey and security. It would be nice if all it took to resolve global, local and cultural problems was a concert, that would be a wonderful world to live in. However, the world we inhabit does not work that way.

This is yet another example of Tall Poppy Syndrome. Stick your neck out too far, try to help one person too many, and someone will come along and cut you down. How many times has this happened in our own country with our own leaders and political figures? JFK, RFK, Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King.....the list goes on and on.

They always do. For the suicide bombers, the road to glory is paved with the blood of innocent bystanders. They won't stop until there's no one left.

That photo of Benazir Bhutto waving to the crowds from her car, seconds before she was assassinated, did remind me of the old photos of JFK in his motorcade in Dallas, waving to the crowds seconds before he was assassinated.

Blah, blah, blah. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that God exists when such cruelty and insanity exist in this world. You don't like that? Put me on your ignore list and have a nice evening.

I personally agree with you. Did you know that the ancient cultures in Africa believed there was a creator god, but that he stepped back after he created everything? That is sort of what I believe...I think there is a god, but he is not actively involved in what happens to us and our world during our lifetime. What happens to us is a result of our own actions and behavior.

Nobody has to agree with me, by the way. That's just my own opinion, so don't go arguing with me or whatever.

Blah, blah, blah. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that God exists when such cruelty and insanity exist in this world. You don't like that? I don't care.

Personally what you think about spiritual matters doesn't effect me in the teeniest, tiniest way. Merely pointing out the hilarity in your proclaiming what you find inappropriate after making an ignorant remark like you did to kick off this thread.

You don't like that? Then go jump off a bridge.

That photo of Benazir Bhutto waving to the crowds from her car, seconds before she was assassinated, did remind me of the old photos of JFK in his motorcade in Dallas, waving to the crowds seconds before he was assassinated.

Quite a few people I was listening to today, talking about this mentioned that. Sadly though, in Dallas only one person was killed. In this situation, 21 or 22 died as well. One is unacceptable, 22 is beyond the pall.

I just don't get it. I don't want to.

I personally agree with you. Did you know that the ancient cultures in Africa believed there was a creator god, but that he stepped back after he created everything? That is sort of what I believe...I think there is a god, but he is not actively involved in what happens to us and our world during our lifetime. What happens to us is a result of our own actions and behavior.

Nobody has to agree with me, by the way. That's just my own opinion, so don't go arguing with me or whatever.

No, I wasn't aware of that. I grew up heavily influeneced by faith and religion, but the older I've gotten, the more I question what I was raised to believe.

I happen to agree with you, as well.

Minelle and Rabia, I'm so sorry to hear what's happened. When I saw the chaos in the streets on television, I immediately thought of you. Please know I'm praying for the safety of you and your families. And I'm not a praying man. Be safe my friends. :console:

No, I wasn't aware of that. I grew up heavily influeneced by faith and religion, but the older I've gotten, the more I question what I was raised to believe.

I happen to agree with you, as well.

Why should god be so concerned with us? He has the whole universe to manage, and we are only a very, very tiny part of that universe.

back to the issue at hand: perhaps some good might come of this? I mean, Abraham Lincoln, MLK, even John Lennon and many others that were assasinated had a similar message, and their premature deaths probably actually contributed to the awareness of the messages they were trying to spread. I don't think God is obsessed with watching over us, but that doesn't mean things can't happen for a reason. What's happened has happened, and now the world gets to decide how it affects them. Hopefully they will choose to make light of such a tragic event and make some good of it instead of letting it be only another event in a line of tragedies and violence.

Apparrently, the power of rock upon world political affairs is over your head tonight. You've trivialized what I said beyond all recognition. That's alright. Your ok. I'm ok.

:rolleyes:

If that is how you choose to view the world, I don't have a problem with it. However, please do not insult my intelligence, sir. I know what you said. Many other people seem to have a problem with it as well. I trivialized nothing, and if you actually think that, then maybe you are not expressing your ideas clearly enough in your posts.

Most, but not all, of the major world religions are monetheistic: the belief in one God.

Yeah, I know that. Did you note that I said the ANCIENT African cultures? I'm talking before Christianity and other religions came to Africa. Most ancient cultures were polythestic, but I don't know if these african societies believed in other, smaller gods or not. Ancestor worship was of more concern to most tribes, and it was the ancestors, not the gods, who played an active role in human life.

The Hindu religion has a creator God, but it is polytheistic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahma

Brahma (Sanskrit masculine brahman-, nominative brahmā ब्रह्मा, personification of the neuter brahman-) is the Hindu god (deva) of creation and one of the Trimurti, the others being Vishnu and Shiva. He is not to be confused with the Supreme Cosmic Spirit in Hindu Vedanta philosophy known as Brahman. Also, in Sanskrit grammar, Brahma is nominative singular of generic word Brahman, as Aatma is nominative singular for Aatman. Brahaman and Aatman are same in Vedanta philosophy, the Para-Aatma (Supersoul) and Jeeva Aatma (Individual Soul) are Brahman. His consort is Saraswati, the goddess of learning. Brahmā is often identified with Prajapati, a Vedic deity.

So the concept of a creator God does not automatically equal monotheism.

I'm a native speaker of the English language, so I know I did not say one concert would solve these problems, as you inferred. I did identify the power of rock as a force for

political change in the world and cited specific examples pertaining to the fall of the Soviet Union. How this insults your intelligence is a mystery to me.

Like I said, if you want to view the world that way, that's fine. Music can help, but it alone is not enough, no matter how many concerts you hold. Especially not in a part of the world that is so ravaged and unstable. It would be nice if it did help that much, but it doesn't. Not in my opinion. If it has any effect, it is a more longterm thing. And more often than not, the idea that the music convays is already in place in the mind of the individual. Music is an agent of the message, not the cause of the message or the idea. Just like Bhutto was an agent of the message, not the source of the idea, and she was killed. MLK was killed as a result of being the messanger. It isn't so much the music itself as it is the person who makes the music.

...I've just had an epiphany. I still don't agree with you, but thank you for the debate.

I did. I also noted you originally said they worshipped a creator God, which is singular (monotheistic), not plural.

As electrophile pointed out, belief in a creator god does not equal monothiesm. Almost all polytheistic religions believe that there is a creator god who is responsible for the formation of the universe, and that there are other Gods as well.

BEIJING, Dec. 27 (Xinhua) -- Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang said Thursday that China was shocked at the assassination of Pakistan's opposition leader and former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto and strongly condemns the terrorist attack.

"We also extend condolence to families of Bhutto and other victims," Qin said in a statement.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-12/...ent_7328969.htm

Such a hassened departure.... her light dimmed too early.

....it's too bad Bhutto couldn't have lived a long life and gone the way of Mother Teresa

just fading into the sunset.....or into a sweet roll....she truly fed the world with her teachings.

nun_morph.gif

Three at the 02 Arena the night of December 10th. Think about it, people, in the context of our culture.

:mellow:

<_<

Our culture, maybe. Their culture, probably not. We aren't talking about us, dude, we're talking about a completely different culture.

New Delhi: As India expresses shock over Bhutto's death, it is also going into a huddle looking at security implications of the assassination for India and the Subcontinent.

“Bhutto’s contribution to the improvement of India-Pakistan relations and to the restoration of normalcy in Pakistan will be an inspiration,” says Pranab Mukherjee.

While Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's message underscored his own sense of loss over the promise that Benazir made, however, will sadly be unable to fulfill.

“In her death, the sub-continent has lost an outstanding leader who worked for democracy and reconciliation,” says Sanjaya Baru, Media Advisor, PMO.

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/india-fears-te...rt/55156-3.html

Archived