Page's Best Playing Post Zeppelin

• 2 years later...

I don't know about best, but my fav post Zep recording from Page is "Heaven Knows". 1988 was a special year for both Page and Plant - it really felt like an awakening of sorts. That track has a "quality" to it .. to my ears, it's the most magic/mysterious/Zeppy thing either one has done post Zep. 

In terms of live performance, I love all the shows I saw (Outrider, twice in 95, once in 98), but the Oakland Coliseum Outrider show is my fav. The playing just sounds better to my ears, and it was a really great night.

On 4/21/2019 at 10:23 PM, CherrySunburstWorshiper said:

For me it's a toss up between some of the P&P performances and the Black Crowes featuring Jimmy Page. I will say the Crowes only because I feel it is a testament to what he could do with back up guitars behind him, though you really need to stick to a script in that format. Jimmy doesn't like sticking to a script and most of us don't want to hear him stick to one either. But I'd say Ten Years Gone, Custard Pie, Sick Again and In My Time of Dying are the best live performances of these songs. And as for Page & Plant, The Rain Song perfomance has no equal on this planet and of the other live shows, albeit mostly scripted as well, has video on youtube of the New Orleans' concert where Jimmy very much went off script and the best of that set definitely, probably the best version of Heartbreaker you'll ever hear. When you consider how many great performances of that song exist, that's saying something.

I was at those New Orleans shows in 95 and 98

On 2/20/2022 at 3:25 PM, 1975NQ said:

I don't know about best, but my fav post Zep recording from Page is "Heaven Knows". 1988 was a special year for both Page and Plant - it really felt like an awakening of sorts. That track has a "quality" to it .. to my ears, it's the most magic/mysterious/Zeppy thing either one has done post Zep. 

In terms of live performance, I love all the shows I saw (Outrider, twice in 95, once in 98), but the Oakland Coliseum Outrider show is my fav. The playing just sounds better to my ears, and it was a really great night.

I remember the energy and excitement that year for both Page and Plant albums and tours. It was electric.

MTV played a big part in advertizing/airplay, and again in 1990 for the Boxed Set.

45 minutes ago, Rock Historian said:

I remember the energy and excitement that year for both Page and Plant albums and tours. It was electric.

MTV played a big part in advertizing/airplay, and again in 1990 for the Boxed Set.

Yeah, it really was - electric is the perfect word. Zep fever was high in 88! Good point about MTV. They were such a big deal for groups back in the late 80s. I love Plant's "Tall Cool One" video for that year. It's subversively poking fun at that whole dynamic (i.e. you need MTV to succeed) and also obviously at himself. Half Gene Vincent, half Robert Palmer with a cheesy Big Brother thing tying it together. He's got a great sense of humor.  

7 hours ago, reids said:

Between 1998 P&P walking into everywhere tour (Clarksdale) to JP & The Crowes.

R😎🎸👍🎶

Definitely. I'd also go back a little farther to the Fall 1995 tour in the U.S. Saw P/P at MSG in NYC and he played so well.

I was fortunate to be able to see Page and Plant 3 times from 95-98. The 1998 show was my second date with my wife. We were at shoreline in the seats, not on the grass where it can be hard to hear things sometimes. But he was absolutely brilliant in 1998. I have a bunch of bootlegs from those years, and he really found his groove in 96 to me, and by 98 was honestly as good as I can remember him being. I certainly wasn’t at the shows that my Mom and dad were able to see at the Filmore in 69 or Winterland. He was insanely creative and imaginative in all of his years that he was active. But 96-1998 to my ears he was as close as he was at his peak. I often go back to the Shepard Bush bootleg when I am nostalgic. There are many shows or almost every show that he was on fire in that time frame.  I miss that time and those years. It went by way to fast. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2022 at 11:51 AM, Plant77 said:

I was fortunate to be able to see Page and Plant 3 times from 95-98. The 1998 show was my second date with my wife. We were at shoreline in the seats, not on the grass where it can be hard to hear things sometimes. But he was absolutely brilliant in 1998. I have a bunch of bootlegs from those years, and he really found his groove in 96 to me, and by 98 was honestly as good as I can remember him being. I certainly wasn’t at the shows that my Mom and dad were able to see at the Filmore in 69 or Winterland. He was insanely creative and imaginative in all of his years that he was active. But 96-1998 to my ears he was as close as he was at his peak. I often go back to the Shepard Bush bootleg when I am nostalgic. There are many shows or almost every show that he was on fire in that time frame.  I miss that time and those years. It went by way to fast. 

Completely agree -1998….except for the gig I saw him at. Dreadful! Must have been pissed. Big let down 

3 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Completely agree -1998….except for the gig I saw him at. Dreadful! Must have been pissed. Big let down 

That blows! To bad he didn’t have a better show when you got to see them/him. But he did have some amazing performances in that span. And Robert found another range/vocal delivery around that time as well. And then when he left Page in 98, he was absolutely brilliant as well in the early 2000’s. I got to Robert a half dozen times from 2001 through 2013 and in the 2001 and throughout, his voice and performances were spectacular. In 2008 when I was able to see he and Allison at the Greek Theater in Berkeley even that laid back subdued show was amazing vocally. But Jimmy was out of his mind good through those years. Man how the time flies by. My wife and I were talking about my first concert seeing Robert the other day. I believe it was Oct 10th 1993 with Lenny Kravitz and STP. That was a rad show. It then sparked a memory of seeing Van Halen and Vince Neil, and Alice N Chains in 91. Vince performed terribly, I know he cut his set short, and Layne Staley and the boys were in incredible. VH were cool. But those days, the 1990’s were some incredible shows. That era was in my opinion one of the best. You had all/most of the bands from the late 60’s and 70’s on the road or reformed still in the midst of their primes, and some incredible new bands who were just absolute monsters. Great era.