"Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" Anyone else looking forward to this film?

kipper

Can't hardly wait for Quentin Tarantino's newest film-- "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood"

This film looks like it will have everything. Hollywood in the late '60s, rock and roll, mini skirts, go-go dancers, Sunset Blvd,  the Playboy mansion, Bruce Lee, Sharon Tate and Charlie fucking Manson and the girls... WOW!

I'm sure Strider will appreciate this film, it's about our hometown. I hope it opens at the Cinerama Dome. Nothing like seeing a film in the dome.

Edited by kipper

Already got my tickets to Quentin Fest next week, culminating with "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" at the Dome. Watched them film on my block for a week and around town in other locations. Some anachronisms in the film but QT explained why to me over a few beers at a local bar one night. Yes, Charlie Manson and the Spahn Ranch gang are in the film but it's not a straight Manson movie a la "Helter Skelter" and other films about Manson. It is more about Leo and Brad and the changing Hollywood their characters find themselves dealing with in 1969. The collapse of the old studio system and the new independent youth movement coming in. As Leo plays an actor in a TV western and Brad is his stunt-double buddy, there are echoes of Burt Reynolds and his stuntman pal Hal Needham in these parts. Bruce Lee pops up in the film...he was the fight choreographer on "The Wrecking Crew", a Matt Helm spy movie starring Dean Martin and Sharon Tate. Margot Robbie plays Sharon Tate, who lives next door to Leo's character Rick Dalton. That is all I am going to say about the plot. The movie poster is cherry...as I posted on the movie thread. Most modern movie posters suck but this one looks perfect in its retro glory.

https://www.arclightcinemas.com/en/news/arclight-presents-once-upon-a-tarantino?promo=spotlightH

13 hours ago, Strider said:

Already got my tickets to Quentin Fest next week, culminating with "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" at the Dome. Watched them film on my block for a week and around town in other locations. Some anachronisms in the film but QT explained why to me over a few beers at a local bar one night. Yes, Charlie Manson and the Spahn Ranch gang are in the film but it's not a straight Manson movie a la "Helter Skelter" and other films about Manson. It is more about Leo and Brad and the changing Hollywood their characters find themselves dealing with in 1969. The collapse of the old studio system and the new independent youth movement coming in. As Leo plays an actor in a TV western and Brad is his stunt-double buddy, there are echoes of Burt Reynolds and his stuntman pal Hal Needham in these parts. Bruce Lee pops up in the film...he was the fight choreographer on "The Wrecking Crew", a Matt Helm spy movie starring Dean Martin and Sharon Tate. Margot Robbie plays Sharon Tate, who lives next door to Leo's character Rick Dalton. That is all I am going to say about the plot. The movie poster is cherry...as I posted on the movie thread. Most modern movie posters suck but this one looks perfect in its retro glory.

https://www.arclightcinemas.com/en/news/arclight-presents-once-upon-a-tarantino?promo=spotlightH

Strider,

Will the film be having a regular run at the Cinerama dome-- or will just be for the QT fest with the other 8 films?  Tarantino got screwed by Disney when the Hateful 8 was bumped from the Dome for that horrible Star Wars film.

I heard that Tarantino had planned to have Burt Reynolds play the part of George Spahn before Reynolds passed. Too bad that didn't happen, and what a great pairing with Dakota Fanning playing Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme. I'm glad Bruce Dern got the part but I'm sure Tarantino would have loved to have given the honor to Reynolds.

I'm aware it won't be a film about Manson, but how brave of Tarantino to weave that event(s) of that particular summer ("Hot August Night") into the story of how the studio system was over and how Hollywood was changing for good.  Because for those of us who lived through that time--- and specifically that summer following the prior "summer of love" in SF. The Manson family effectively changed the way everyone looked at hippies. The went from being considered smelly, lazy, weird--- or peace loving free spirits depending on your point of view. But AFTER Manson and his girls, EVERYONE in Los Angeles took pause every time they saw long hair and love beads. It was truly and end of innocence at that time.  After that even young little hippy chicks seemed scary.

I don't know how closely you looked at the trailer but I spotted a view errors. One was the part where the Sharon Tate character is at the movie theater box office pointing to the poster with her and you can see a modern dome style security camera which would not have been present in 1969. And then the other was some of the signs street signs on Hollywood Blvd just opposite of the Pussycat theater. Back then there were no "Don't Block Intersection" signs--- those signs came around later in the '80s.

I like the boom shot of Spahn Ranch---looks just like it did back in the day. And all of the dune buggies and baja bugs too. Those were there ready for the Manson family to escape out to Barker Ranch in the desert after Charile's plan to spark a race war (Helter Skelter) after the killings.

I really hope I get to see the film in 70mm--- such much better than any other format. The Hateful Eight was just awesome, and that was also filmed in Super Panivison 70. This new film was filmed on 35mm film stock (anamorphic) because it would have been far too cost prohibitive and limiting due to the special 70mm lenses to film in Super Panivision 70 for this film with so many location shots needed. But I'm glad this is still a FILM and not a digital movie.  Two things Tarantino hates the most are digital cameras and cell phones. I couldn't agree more.

The Tate house on Cielo Drive is gone now replaced with a mini-mansion. Nothing lasts forever.

2 hours ago, kipper said:

Strider,

Will the film be having a regular run at the Cinerama dome-- or will just be for the QT fest with the other 8 films?  Tarantino got screwed by Disney when the Hateful 8 was bumped from the Dome for that horrible Star Wars film.

I heard that Tarantino had planned to have Burt Reynolds play the part of George Spahn before Reynolds passed. Too bad that didn't happen, and what a great pairing with Dakota Fanning playing Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme. I'm glad Bruce Dern got the part but I'm sure Tarantino would have loved to have given the honor to Reynolds.

I'm aware it won't be a film about Manson, but how brave of Tarantino to weave that event(s) of that particular summer ("Hot August Night") into the story of how the studio system was over and how Hollywood was changing for good.  Because for those of us who lived through that time--- and specifically that summer following the prior "summer of love" in SF. The Manson family effectively changed the way everyone looked at hippies. The went from being considered smelly, lazy, weird--- or peace loving free spirits depending on your point of view. But AFTER Manson and his girls, EVERYONE in Los Angeles took pause every time they saw long hair and love beads. It was truly and end of innocence at that time.  After that even young little hippy chicks seemed scary.

I don't know how closely you looked at the trailer but I spotted a view errors. One was the part where the Sharon Tate character is at the movie theater box office pointing to the poster with her and you can see a modern dome style security camera which would not have been present in 1969. And then the other was some of the signs street signs on Hollywood Blvd just opposite of the Pussycat theater. Back then there were no "Don't Block Intersection" signs--- those signs came around later in the '80s.

I like the boom shot of Spahn Ranch---looks just like it did back in the day. And all of the dune buggies and baja bugs too. Those were there ready for the Manson family to escape out to Barker Ranch in the desert after Charile's plan to spark a race war (Helter Skelter) after the killings.

I really hope I get to see the film in 70mm--- such much better than any other format. The Hateful Eight was just awesome, and that was also filmed in Super Panivison 70. This new film was filmed on 35mm film stock (anamorphic) because it would have been far too cost prohibitive and limiting due to the special 70mm lenses to film in Super Panivision 70 for this film with so many location shots needed. But I'm glad this is still a FILM and not a digital movie.  Two things Tarantino hates the most are digital cameras and cell phones. I couldn't agree more.

The Tate house on Cielo Drive is gone now replaced with a mini-mansion. Nothing lasts forever.

Great post Kip.

7 hours ago, kipper said:

Strider,

There are five theatres around the country that will be showing "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" on 70mms film and yes, the Cinerama Dome will be one of them. There will also be theatres screening it on 35mm film. Everyone else will be getting a DCP. Find the theatres here:

https://screencrush.com/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-70mm-theaters/

After the Quentin Fest next weekend, the film opens officially on July 26 at the Dome and elsewhere. The QT-owned New Beverly Cinema will also have special screenings starting July 25. The New Beverly will screen in 35mm. Tickets go on sale Saturday.

As for the anachronisms, I would have thought QT could digitally erase the surveillance camera and traffic signs that pop up. Who knows what restrictions the city put on QT as far as altering certain structures? Maybe in the final cut those flaws will be fixed? I have already heard that Tim Roth and Al Pacino have had scenes cut. Nothing is certain with a QT movie until you see it with your own eyeballs.

Like I said, QT was aiming for a general aesthetic and vibe of the Hollywood of that time than any strict historical accuracy. As a Los Angeles native, I can tell you that the Pussycat Theatre on Hollywood Blvd. did not open until 1974. Before that it was the NuView Cinema for many decades. Peaches Records, which was next to the Supply Sergeant, also was not around in 1969...it opened in the mid-70s, as well.

But the Pussycat Theatre looks cooler and resonates with more people historically than the Nu View. It has that seediness that people associate with Hollywood.

If you are a radio fan, keep an ear out for the many KHJ Boss Radio sound clips used in the film.

I have taken friends to Spahn Ranch and Cielo Dr. You can change things but some ghosts remain no matter what.

Edited by Strider

On 7/12/2019 at 12:56 AM, redrum said:

If you haven't already seen it, watch 'Zabriskie Point.'

23 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Thanks for the recommendation! :) It certainly looks interesting. 

12 hours ago, bcarter690 said:

Thanks for the recommendation on Zabriskie Point. I'll also check it out.

I love "Zabriskie Point", despite and maybe even because of its flaws. But be warned...your enjoyment of it will depend on your taste for arty, European films. It was directed by Antonioni, the man who brought you "L'Avventura", "Blow Up", "The Passenger". The film explores Antonioni's primary themes of alienation and ennui...in the form of a road-movie.

The two main leads, Daria Halprin and Mark Frechette, were basically unknown amateurs and it shows. Their acting isn't great...and it is sometimes awkward to watch. Daria went on to marry Dennis Hopper and drop out of movies and end up in San Francisco. Mark had a sadder end. He got mixed up in a cult and died in prison in 1975.

The movie has a great soundtrack...The Stones, Jerry Garcia, Byrds, Pink Floyd...and there are long scenes where nothing seems to be happening and the music just plays. This ain't no Michael Bay movie. You'll need patience. 

But stick it through and your patience will be rewarded by one of the most mind-blowing, explosive endings in cinema history. Groovy, man.

Bonus points for the film having the only existing shots of the long-gone art deco Atlantic Richfield building, destroyed soon after filming. You can see it's black-and-gold beauty outside the windows of Rod Taylor's office. Tons of other great authentic Los Angeles locations...and Death Valley, of course.

Some other similar movies of the same time period I recommend highly are "Point Blank", "Model Shop", "Outside Man", and "Cisco Pike".

Edited by Strider

12 hours ago, Strider said:

I love "Zabriskie Point", despite and maybe even because of its flaws. But be warned...your enjoyment of it will depend on your taste for arty, European films. It was directed by Antonioni, the man who brought you "L'Avventura", "Blow Up", "The Passenger". The film explores Antonioni's primary themes of alienation and ennui...in the form of a road-movie.

The two main leads, Daria Halprin and Mark Frechette, were basically unknown amateurs and it shows. Their acting isn't great...and it is sometimes awkward to watch. Daria went on to marry Dennis Hopper and drop out of movies and end up in San Francisco. Mark had a sadder end. He got mixed up in a cult and died in prison in 1975.

The movie has a great soundtrack...The Stones, Jerry Garcia, Byrds, Pink Floyd...and there are long scenes where nothing seems to be happening and the music just plays. This ain't no Michael Bay movie. You'll need patience. 

But stick it through and your patience will be rewarded by one of the most mind-blowing, explosive endings in cinema history. Groovy, man.

Bonus points for the film having the only existing shots of the long-gone art deco Atlantic Richfield building, destroyed soon after filming. You can see it's black-and-gold beauty outside the windows of Rod Taylor's office. Tons of other great authentic Los Angeles locations...and Death Valley, of course.

Some other similar movies of the same time period I recommend highly are "Point Blank", "Model Shop", "Outside Man", and "Cisco Pike".

That's a great review. 'Explosive ending' is an understatement. ^_^

Thank you. I will add this film to my 'Movies to See' list. I will also check out the others, especially 'Point Blank',  which I've heard good things about numerous times.

It's interesting that you mention the art deco Atlantic Richfield building as I'm also a big fan of the art deco style of design. That alone would be reason enough to watch this film.

A film I recently discovered and really enjoyed was 'The Day of the Jackal".  They just don't make films like that anymore.

Edited by bcarter690
misspelling

21 hours ago, Strider said:

There are five theatres around the country that will be showing "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" on 70mms film and yes, the Cinerama Dome will be one of them. There will also be theatres screening it on 35mm film. Everyone else will be getting a DCP. Find the theatres here:

https://screencrush.com/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-70mm-theaters/

After the Quentin Fest next weekend, the film opens officially on July 26 at the Dome and elsewhere. The QT-owned New Beverly Cinema will also have special screenings starting July 25. The New Beverly will screen in 35mm. Tickets go on sale Saturday.

As for the anachronisms, I would have thought QT could digitally erase the surveillance camera and traffic signs that pop up. Who knows what restrictions the city put on QT as far as altering certain structures? Maybe in the final cut those flaws will be fixed? I have already heard that Tim Roth and Al Pacino have had scenes cut. Nothing is certain with a QT movie until you see it with your own eyeballs.

Like I said, QT was aiming for a general aesthetic and vibe of the Hollywood of that time than any strict historical accuracy. As a Los Angeles native, I can tell you that the Pussycat Theatre on Hollywood Blvd. did not open until 1974. Before that it was the NuView Cinema for many decades. Peaches Records, which was next to the Supply Sergeant, also was not around in 1969...it opened in the mid-70s, as well.

But the Pussycat Theatre looks cooler and resonates with more people historically than the Nu View. It has that seediness that people associate with Hollywood.

If you are a radio fan, keep an ear out for the many KHJ Boss Radio sound clips used in the film.

I have taken friends to Spahn Ranch and Cielo Dr. You can change things but some ghosts remain no matter what.

Strider,

Thank for the great info.  I just hope the run in the Dome goes into August, but I don't see any dates listed for that yet. I really want to see it 70mm but I will be in the Eastern Sierra when the film opens. Ironically in the area where parts of Django Unchained was filmed (Alabama Hills near Lone Pine).

I only went to the Pussycat theater once back in the '70s with some buddies when we turned 18. Deep Throat was playing and we were not in the theater more than 10 minutes before we were thrown out for laughing. Only time I ever went to a porn theater. It was just as sleazy as I imagined---- reminded me of the film Taxi Driver.

I do remember KHJ and Boss radio. It was the station we all listened to on our AM transistor radios before FM really took off. Charlie Tuna, Humble Harve, and "the Real Don Steele". Do you remember the Real Don Steele show on TV? It was sort of our local version of American Bandstand with a taste of Soul Train.  After FM took off all we listened to was "the Mighty Met" (94.7)... and sometimes K-LOSS as it was often referred to by Jim Ladd when he was at KMET. It was a sad day when KMET signed off and it became "the wave".

It's too bad they tore down the original house on Cielo Drive. Many famous Hollywood celebrities lived there long before Polanski and Tate rented it. If I recall correctly Lilian Gish lived there too in the '40s.  So many of the old ranch style houses in Benedict Canyon have been torn down.

I don't know how that security camera wasn't caught in the edit bay when they cut the trailer---it was so obvious. They did blur some of the street signs shown on Hollywood Blvd, but the "Do not Block Intersection" just wasn't vintage to that era. It's really difficult to do period films in Hollywood these days, so much has changed. One of my favorites  is L.A. Confidential and the shots of Cross Roads of the World, the Formosa Cafe, and the Frolic room.

Kipper

11 hours ago, kipper said:

I really want to see it 70mm but I will be in the Eastern Sierra when the film opens. Ironically in the area where parts of Django Unchained was filmed (Alabama Hills near Lone Pine).

I only went to the Pussycat theater once back in the '70s with some buddies when we turned 18. Deep Throat was playing and we were not in the theater more than 10 minutes before we were thrown out for laughing. Only time I ever went to a porn theater. It was just as sleazy as I imagined---- reminded me of the film Taxi Driver.

I love that area of the state. In '95 I could have went back to Lone Pine to see Robert Mitchum and Ernest Borgnine to take a tour of where they filmed a lot of the old westerns, but I couldn't make it. That's one I'll always regret.

And for as long as it played in the Tenderloin in SF I could never bring myself to go in and watch Deep Throat or The Devil In Miss Jones. Same thing with Behind The Green Door which was just up the street at the O'Farrell theater. The Tenderloin was and still is the sleaziest neighborhood in SF, but I always loved going to the old huge book store that was on Turk St. (McDonalds). What a place.

'HELL' says it all.

image.thumb.png.ccd023331fa679458ddd755263c04ddf.png

6 hours ago, redrum said:

I love that area of the state. In '95 I could have went back to Lone Pine to see Robert Mitchum and Ernest Borgnine to take a tour of where they filmed a lot of the old westerns, but I couldn't make it. That's one I'll always regret.

And for as long as it played in the Tenderloin in SF I could never bring myself to go in and watch Deep Throat or The Devil In Miss Jones. Same thing with Behind The Green Door which was just up the street at the O'Farrell theater. The Tenderloin was and still is the sleaziest neighborhood in SF, but I always loved going to the old huge book store that was on Turk St. (McDonalds). What a place.

'HELL' says it all.

image.thumb.png.ccd023331fa679458ddd755263c04ddf.png

Hi Redrum,

The Eastern Sierra is one of the prettiest in the state in my opinion. Other than Mammoth Lakes the rest of the Owen's valley still feels much the same way it did 40 years ago.  A lot of great Western movies were made near the Alabama Hills and near Mt Whitney, one of my favorites was Nevada Smith starring Steve McQueen and Karl Malden.   In Lone Pine there is a small museum dedicated to Hollywood films made in the area up there.

This trip I will also be heading up to the Mono basin. Do you remember the Clint Eastwood film "High Plains Drifter"? It was filmed near Mono lake.

How bad is San Francisco these days? I wonder if it is worse than the streets of downtown Los Angeles-- especially in the skid row area?  Los Angles has turned to even worse shit than it ever has. Literally shit with the shit and needles and garbage everywhere.

23 hours ago, kipper said:

I

Some people seem to think those old 70's porno's shot on film were the shit. Almost art house if art house was made by some 14 year old in the midst of sexual frustration and a taste for very bad jazz.

I look back on those movies and cringe. Even the best of the lot, Behind the Green Door does not age well due to the opening scenes (abduction). I realize it was supposed to be about a sexual awakening but did they have to violently kidnap Marylin Chambers to get the point across?

Porno is just weird no matter what. No one balls like that, people don't act like that when they ball, and half the shit they say is said either so half-assed or so over the top you just can't take it seriously. Porn when watched with a group of friends is just like watching MST2K, just one big goof-fest.

Edited by PeaceFrogYum

On 7/11/2019 at 10:17 PM, kipper said:

Can't hardly wait for Quentin Tarantino's newest film-- "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood"

This film looks like it will have everything. Hollywood in the late '60s, rock and roll, mini skirts, go-go dancers, Sunset Blvd,  the Playboy mansion, Bruce Lee, Sharon Tate and Charlie fucking Manson and the girls... WOW!

I'm sure Strider will appreciate this film, it's about our hometown. I hope it opens at the Cinerama Dome. Nothing like seeing a film in the dome.

This period in Los Angeles was a time like no other, but in saying that I would be  categorically wrong. Remember how Hollywood changed from silent movies to sound? That period brought in a whole new aspect of change to Hollywood 

great article done by (Crafton, Donald. (1999). The Talkies: American Cinema’s Transition to Sound, 1926-1931. California: University of California Press)

during the the late 1960s Hollywood was in a mist of confusion and lacking substance in it flicks until direction came in the form of Kubrick,  and Coppola’. 

The sad thing is the brutality of Sharon Tate’s death, she was amazing actress in The valley of the Dolls, and was ok in the 1967 Dance of the vampire. That was a wake up call in Hollywood that not everything was sunny and beautiful in California. 

Its not Zabriske but another cool period one is Vanishing Point from '71. Soundtrack is ok, but it had me when Mississippi Queen came blaring out at me...I caught it late night on network TV probably when I was 17 and thought it was very cool. For whatever its worth Wiki says:

Steven Spielberg named Vanishing Point as one of his favorite films.[24]

Death Proof (2007), the Quentin Tarantino contribution to the faux-exploitation "double feature" Grindhouse (2007), features a chase involving a Dodge Challenger resembling the one seen in Vanishing Point (not being an R/T model and having an automatic transmission). Death Proof also references the film by name repeatedly calling it "one of the best American movies ever made". The car in the film also has the license plate OA 5599.[16]

Edgar Wright named Vanishing Point one of his 1,000 favorite films, and used it as inspiration for his 2017 film Baby Driver

Will have to check out again when the wife is not around...

On 7/13/2019 at 10:13 PM, kipper said:

Strider,

Thank for the great info.  I just hope the run in the Dome goes into August, but I don't see any dates listed for that yet. I really want to see it 70mm but I will be in the Eastern Sierra when the film opens. Ironically in the area where parts of Django Unchained was filmed (Alabama Hills near Lone Pine).

I talked to a guy at the Arclight and he said "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" will be in the Dome for at least a couple weeks, maybe three. So it will still be there in August. They don't want a rerun of the fiasco with "Hateful 8".

Make sure you hit the Lone Pine Film History Museum. Lots of cool stuff there...tons of westerns and "Tremors" and, yes, "Django Unchained", were filmed in the Alabama Hills environs.

Yes, I remember the Real Don Steele Show and watched it on occasion.

22 hours ago, Night_flight3030 said:

This period in Los Angeles was a time like no other, but in saying that I would be  categorically wrong. Remember how Hollywood changed from silent movies to sound? That period brought in a whole new aspect of change to Hollywood 

great article done by (Crafton, Donald. (1999). The Talkies: American Cinema’s Transition to Sound, 1926-1931. California: University of California Press)

Read this book...

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/scott-eyman/the-speed-of-sound/

13 hours ago, LAP99 said:

Its not Zabriske but another cool period one is Vanishing Point from '71. Soundtrack is ok, but it had me when Mississippi Queen came blaring out at me...I caught it late night on network TV probably when I was 17 and thought it was very cool. For whatever its worth Wiki says:

Steven Spielberg named Vanishing Point as one of his favorite films.[24]

Death Proof (2007), the Quentin Tarantino contribution to the faux-exploitation "double feature" Grindhouse (2007), features a chase involving a Dodge Challenger resembling the one seen in Vanishing Point (not being an R/T model and having an automatic transmission). Death Proof also references the film by name repeatedly calling it "one of the best American movies ever made". The car in the film also has the license plate OA 5599.[16]

Edgar Wright named Vanishing Point one of his 1,000 favorite films, and used it as inspiration for his 2017 film Baby Driver

Will have to check out again when the wife is not around...

"Vanishing Point" gets my seal of approval...it also features a pre-"Blazing Saddles" Cleavon Little as the blind radio DJ. But it doesn't take place in L.A., so that is why I did not include the film in my list of recommendations. But it is a great car-movie from the golden age of car-movies (1966-1976).

Nothing like the sound of Detroit muscle at full throttle. Or even a vintage Porsche or Ferrari. These modern Fast & Furious movies with the rice-burners just don't sound as good. Also, watching cgi trickery isn't as fun as watching real driving and real stunts with real cars.

Along with "Vanishing Point", other cool car-movies I heartily recommend are "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry", "Two Lane Blacktop", "Grand Prix", "LeMans", "Gone in 60 Seconds" (the 1974 original...NOT THE REMAKE), "The Gumball Rally", "Death Race 2000", "Smokey & the Bandit", "American Graffiti"...and of course the movie that opened the car-chase floodgates, "Bullitt".

Edited by Strider

4 minutes ago, Strider said:

"Vanishing Point" gets my seal of approval...it also features a pre-"Blazing Saddles" Cleavon Little as the blind radio DJ. But it doesn't take place in L.A., so that is why I did not include the film in my list of recommendations. But it is a great car-movie from the golden age of car-movies (1966-1976).

Nothing like the sound of Detroit muscle at full throttle. Or even a vintage Porsche or Ferrari. These modern Fast & Furious movies with the rice-burners just don't sound as good.

Along with "Vanishing Point", other cool car-movies I heartily recommend are "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry", "Two Lane Blacktop", "Grand Prix", "LeMans", "Gone in 60 Seconds" (the 1974 original...NOT THE REMAKE), "The Gumball Rally", "Death Race 2000", "Smokey & the Bandit"...and of course the movie that opened the car-chase floodgates, "Bullitt".

Can't forget 'The French Connection' and 'The Seven Ups.' With the camera on the front bumper it made your stomach churn. :) Bill Hickman also drove the bad guy car in Bullitt. 

30 minutes ago, Strider said:

I talked to a guy at the Arclight and he said "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" will be in the Dome for at least a couple weeks, maybe three. So it will still be there in August. They don't want a rerun of the fiasco with "Hateful 8".

Make sure you hit the Lone Pine Film History Museum. Lots of cool stuff there...tons of westerns and "Tremors" and, yes, "Django Unchained", were filmed in the Alabama Hills environs.

Glad to hear it will be at the Archlight/Dome for a few weeks. When I check the Archlight website it doesn't show any in August yet. I'll have to keep checking in, but I'll be on my Eastern Sierra trip next week.

Yes, that little museum in Long Pine is on my list for this time. I'll be staying one night across the street at the old Dow Villa hotel. Also planning to visit the Manzanar WW2 Japanese internment camp/museum, the Independence Fish Hatchery and then on up to June Lake, Mono basin, and Bodie Ghost town. 

On 7/14/2019 at 4:29 PM, kipper said:

Hi Redrum,

The Eastern Sierra is one of the prettiest in the state in my opinion. Other than Mammoth Lakes the rest of the Owen's valley still feels much the same way it did 40 years ago.  A lot of great Western movies were made near the Alabama Hills and near Mt Whitney, one of my favorites was Nevada Smith starring Steve McQueen and Karl Malden.   In Lone Pine there is a small museum dedicated to Hollywood films made in the area up there.

This trip I will also be heading up to the Mono basin. Do you remember the Clint Eastwood film "High Plains Drifter"? It was filmed near Mono lake.

How bad is San Francisco these days? I wonder if it is worse than the streets of downtown Los Angeles-- especially in the skid row area?  Los Angles has turned to even worse shit than it ever has. Literally shit with the shit and needles and garbage everywhere.

That was my favorite place to go in California. I've been by Mono Lake but never went there. Bodie was also a favorite place. We camped on the other side of Bodie on the open range. So beautiful and wide open and you can see Mono Lake from up on the hill. I'd sure love to get back that way sometime and also go back to Death Valley. I've never seen Zabriskie Point either. I did know that High Plains Drifter was filmed at Mono Lake and I recently saw Nevada Smith again.

S.F. is probably a small version of the L.A. rats nest. I seriously doubt if I would ever go back to S.F., and it's my hometown.