"Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" Anyone else looking forward to this film?

kipper

17 hours ago, badgeholder said:

Did you swipe this, Strider? Or was this on display at the theater?

This is hanging on the side of the box office. But one night after a Damned show...never mind, I'll keep that to myself.

12 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Leonardo Dicaprio Dancing GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

:P 

The ageless Toni Basil did the choreography. If you are a fan of 1960s pop culture Toni Basil should be a name you recognize...and not just for her '80s song "Mickey". Look her up...she was everywhere and knew everyone. Along with her bubbly-blonde gal pal Teri Garr.

Here is the original 1965 Hullabaloo clip (that Toni Basil choreographed) that inspired Quentin Tarantino to have Leo DiCaprio do a similar scene in "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood".

Edited by Strider

6 hours ago, Strider said:

The ageless Toni Basil did the choreography. If you are a fan of 1960s pop culture Toni Basil should be a name you recognize...and not just for her '80s song "Mickey". Look her up...she was everywhere and knew everyone. Along with her bubbly-blonde gal pal Teri Garr.

Here is the original 1965 Hullabaloo clip (that Toni Basil choreographed) that inspired Quentin Tarantino to have Leo DiCaprio do a similar scene in "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood".

Wild! Thanks for this. Always loved her scenes in Five Easy Pieces. 

On 8/16/2019 at 3:50 AM, Strider said:

Ahhh!!! Thanks, Strider!! :friends: 

Well, that was amazing! Overall, a very enjoyable film!!

What I appreciated the most (having seen and got really spooked by movies such as "Helter Skelter"), was the alternative ending! Thanks QT!! I and some other fellow movie patrons actually clapped at the ending! The "piggies" rose in revolt and fought back!!

1 hour ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Oh and it was really cool that this obscure song by the Stones made an appearance in the film! :thumbsup:

Yeah the music really enhanced the scenes, didn’t over shadow them and like you’re saying, he didn’t just give us the greatest hits of the era. 

On 8/17/2019 at 4:24 PM, PeaceFrogYum said:

I would have thought the inclusion of either GTBT or YTIGC in the background when Leo approaches the Manson dopes in their piece of shit car would have been perfect.

I have had several discussions with people about the music in "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood" and I will repeat here what I said to them.

Two points.

1. The film takes place on February 8-9, 1969 and August 8, 1969. 

2. Quentin wanted to avoid the usual clichés of movies set in the 1960s. No Beatles, no Jimi Hendrix, no Pink Floyd, no Youngbloods, no Iron Butterfly, no Steppenwolf...and especially no Doors.

In 1969 AM was still the dominant format people listened to pop radio in their cars and homes. AM radio was standard equipment in new cars, while you had to pay extra for FM.

FM rock radio had just begun in earnest in 1968 but it wouldn't become dominant until the 1970s and the rise of the album rock format. In 1969 Los Angeles, AM radio was still king and 93 KHJ was the Boss of them all. Boss Angeles. Boss Radio. Humble Harve. Robert W. Morgan. The Real Don Steele. If you grew up in Los Angeles/Orange County back then, these names and voices resonate with you.

Sure, there was also KRLA and KFWB on the AM dial but KHJ was number 1...especially with the young crowd.

It really was like QT portrayed it in the movie. You heard KHJ blasting out of cars and out of transister radios on the beach. I could walk from the Huntington Beach pier to the Wedge and not miss a second because 75% of the radios on the beach were tuned to 93 KHJ.

Led Zeppelin did not really become a presence on AM radio until the "Whole Lotta Love" single was released and even then, their presence was limited. It was never the scope of the Beatles, the Stones, CCR, the Monkees, and later acts such as Elton John and David Bowie. Led Zeppelin didn't care about the single market, AM radio, and making special mono mixes for AM radio.

So, that is why you hear the music and radio chatter in "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood" that you do...and on the soundtrack album. It is QT's way of championing the pop culture of that time over the counter-culture. Much like he champions the old-fashioned men like Rick Dalton and Cliff Booth over the counter-culture hippies.

On 8/18/2019 at 7:32 PM, Strider said:

I have had several discussions with people about the music in "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood" and I will repeat here what I said to them.

Two points.

1. The film takes place on February 8-9, 1969 and August 8, 1969. 

2. Quentin wanted to avoid the usual clichés of movies set in the 1960s. No Beatles, no Jimi Hendrix, no Pink Floyd, no Youngbloods, no Iron Butterfly, no Steppenwolf...and especially no Doors.

In 1969 AM was still the dominant format people listened to pop radio in their cars and homes. AM radio was standard equipment in new cars, while you had to pay extra for FM.

FM rock radio had just begun in earnest in 1968 but it wouldn't become dominant until the 1970s and the rise of the album rock format. In 1969 Los Angeles, AM radio was still king and 93 KHJ was the Boss of them all. Boss Angeles. Boss Radio. Humble Harve. Robert W. Morgan. The Real Don Steele. If you grew up in Los Angeles/Orange County back then, these names and voices resonate with you.

Sure, there was also KRLA and KFWB on the AM dial but KHJ was number 1...especially with the young crowd.

It really was like QT portrayed it in the movie. You heard KHJ blasting out of cars and out of transister radios on the beach. I could walk from the Huntington Beach pier to the Wedge and not miss a second because 75% of the radios on the beach were tuned to 93 KHJ.

Led Zeppelin did not really become a presence on AM radio until the "Whole Lotta Love" single was released and even then, their presence was limited. It was never the scope of the Beatles, the Stones, CCR, the Monkees, and later acts such as Elton John and David Bowie. Led Zeppelin didn't care about the single market, AM radio, and making special mono mixes for AM radio.

So, that is why you hear the music and radio chatter in "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood" that you do...and on the soundtrack album. It is QT's way of championing the pop culture of that time over the counter-culture. Much like he champions the old-fashioned men like Rick Dalton and Cliff Booth over the counter-culture hippies.

Thanks for the explanation Sean, I did not know that. I forgot that AOR did not begin until the early 70's so Zep in Aug 69' on AM radio likely would have been a rarity.

On 8/15/2019 at 3:20 PM, Strider said:

Toni Basil was huge:

T.A.M.I. Show,  Viva Las Vegas (Elvis Film), Robin and the 7 Hoods (Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis jr, Bing Crosby).

She acted in Easy Rider and Five Easy Pieces.  The list is huge. She was in a lot of stuff in that era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwLEuLnaNaE

That's just what I thought!  In QT's fantasy world , Cliff would put BL in his place. He seems reactive to Lee's rep for being arrogant, especially about Ali. I enjoyed the hell outta that scene but I can understand how a family member wouldn't . 

2 hours ago, porgie66 said:

That's just what I thought!  In QT's fantasy world , Cliff would put BL in his place. He seems reactive to Lee's rep for being arrogant, especially about Ali. I enjoyed the hell outta that scene but I can understand how a family member wouldn't . 

I wonder what representative of Lee's estate gave permission for his likeness to be used? And if they were okay with it?

1 hour ago, JTM said:

I read a review on FB that has put me off, far too long, no plot, boring etc etc. I'll wait for the Blu-ray, maybe even just the DVD

It's a typical QT film.  Lots of story that, at the time, seems like a lot fluff - but in the end, it all makes sense.  I need to see it again to pick out more details, but I normally say anything over 1.5 hours had better be worth it....this was over 2.5 hours and I never left my seat.  Just my opinion though.

1 hour ago, Walter said:

It's a typical QT film.  Lots of story that, at the time, seems like a lot fluff - but in the end, it all makes sense.  I need to see it again to pick out more details, but I normally say anything over 1.5 hours had better be worth it....this was over 2.5 hours and I never left my seat.  Just my opinion though.

At over two and a half hours I would most likely fall asleep, (over 80% chance) I'm getting old, I micro nap a lot, my wife teases me telling me I have narcolepsy so BD or DVD is my best option for watching this QT. I'm not going to miss it because Ian Mc.... posted his negative review on FB, but he has made me wary of watching it on the big screen. Thanks for the reassurance.

2 hours ago, JTM said:

At over two and a half hours I would most likely fall asleep, (over 80% chance) I'm getting old, I micro nap a lot, my wife teases me telling me I have narcolepsy so BD or DVD is my best option for watching this QT. I'm not going to miss it because Ian Mc.... posted his negative review on FB, but he has made me wary of watching it on the big screen. Thanks for the reassurance.

Who is Ian Mc?

47 minutes ago, JTM said:

Ian McNabb, Liverpool musician of Icicle Works fame. They had a hit in the US with “From a Whisper to a Scream”.

I was afraid it was Ian McCulloch.

So...obviously you know yourself better than anyone, and if you think you would fall asleep during "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" and want to wait until it comes out on dvd or whatever, fair enough.

Personally, I find it easier to stay awake during long movies in a theatre than at home. In a theatre I can concentrate and the size of the screen and the sound immerses me into the film's world and I forget about the outside world. At home there are too many potential distractions. With the look and sound of "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood", a big theatre showing a 35mm print is the best way to see the film, in my opinion.

You didn't say how old you were...I am nearly 60 and regularly sit through Godfather 1 & 2, The Good, Bad & the Ugly, Once Upon a Time in America, Once Upon a Time in the West, Lawrence of Arabia, 2001, and sitting through the Tarantino was a piece of cake. The movie flew by for me and that wasn't the case for his previous movie "The Hateful 8". 

But there are a couple of things that I think will determine whether this movie is for you.

1. Do you like other Tarantino movies? If you didn't like any of his other movies I doubt you are going to like this one. Although in some ways this is his most relaxed and less caustic (especially compared to "Django Unchained" and "Hateful 8") movie in years, it still has some of the hallmarks of a QT film. Long scenes of dialogue...digressions and flashbacks within scenes...bare feet...vintage automobiles...sudden eruptions of violence...retribution.

The camera is not zipping all over the place. There aren't edits every two seconds. The camera lingers allowing you, the viewer, to take in the faces and scenery in detail. There aren't spandex-clad groups of people and cgi-monsters fighting each other and destroying cities and planets willy-nilly.

The first two thirds may seem aimless...it is the very definition of a hangout-movie. But the ending validates and ties up the movie's themes nicely.

Demystification. Resurrection.

2. You will definitely appreciate and understand this movie more if you a) grew up in Southern California in 1969; b) have a love for old TV westerns such as Gunsmoke, Wanted: Dead or Alive, etc.; and c) have a good knowledge of the Manson murders.