2021 NFL thread. Next year's Super Bowl will be in LA at the new SoFi Stadium

LedZeppfan1977

5 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

Great way to end the season.  Those Rams/49ers games have been very entertaining.  If Philly can make it, why not the 49ers?  Even the meaningless Packer/Lions game was fun to watch.  I wish the Rams were playing anyone but the Cardinals. :'( 

Looking forward to next weekend.

Stranger things have happened. I remember when the 9-7 Giants came to Lambeau Field and beat the piss out of the 15-1 Packers. The Cardinals have looked mortal the last half of the season. 

On 10/14/2021 at 7:34 PM, Walter said:

You falling out of football? 

My rankings:

1. NFC West

2. AFC North

3. AFC West

4. NFC South 

5. NFC East

6. NFC North

7. AFC East

8. AFC South

3 months later and I think I was pretty accurate with my rankings...here's my EOY rankings:

1. NFC West - same (3 playoff teams)

2. AFC West - up one (2.5 playoff teams 😉 )

3. AFC North - down one (2 playoff teams)

4. AFC East - up three (2 playoff teams)

5. NFC East - same (2 playoff teams)

6. NFC South - down two (1 playoff team)

7. NFC North - down one (1 playoff team)

8. AFC South - same (1 playoff team)

All the sturm und drang by people over what if the Raiders and Chargers play for a tie and keep the Steelers out of the playoffs, just shows that none of them understand the Raiders or football. The Raiders hate the Chargers...yes, even more than the Steelers. While the Raiders hate the Steelers, they also respect them...and they are not in the same division. That makes a difference. The Broncos, Chargers, and Chiefs are all above the Steelers on the Raiders hate chart.

Also, this is the NFL not soccer. You don't play for a tie in American football...you play to win. Which the Raiders did.

Anyway, what a weird, crazy game. Good for the Raiders making the playoffs for only the second time since 2002 and maybe David Carr will actually play in a playoff game for once. But I don't have hopes for their playoff success. When your defense is last in the NFL at giving up fourth downs, that does not bode well and it was almost their ruin last night. I still don't think David Carr is a big time clutch quarterback. He strikes me as being like Carson Wentz. But at least I like the Raiders chances against the Bengals better than against the Chiefs (which is who the Raiders would have played this week if that game had ended in a tie last night).

Edited by Strider

1 hour ago, paul carruthers said:

A lot of heads fell on Black Monday, but I was a little surprised Brian Flores got the hook--although no playoffs in 3 years is good enough to get a pink slip in today's NFL. Where do my Fins go from here...

😳

they have been cursed ever since the team doctor told Saban that Brees would never recover from his shoulder injury and let him go to saints lol

13 hours ago, Strider said:

All the sturm und drang by people over what if the Raiders and Chargers play for a tie and keep the Steelers out of the playoffs, just shows that none of them understand the Raiders or football. The Raiders hate the Chargers...yes, even more than the Steelers. While the Raiders hate the Steelers, they also respect them...and they are not in the same division. That makes a difference. The Broncos, Chargers, and Chiefs are all above the Steelers on the Raiders hate chart.

Also, this is the NFL not soccer. You don't play for a tie in American football...you play to win. Which the Raiders did.

Anyway, what a weird, crazy game. Good for the Raiders making the playoffs for only the second time since 2002 and maybe David Carr will actually play in a playoff game for once. But I don't have hopes for their playoff success. When your defense is last in the NFL at giving up fourth downs, that does not bode well and it was almost their ruin last night. I still don't think David Carr is a big time clutch quarterback. He strikes me as being like Carson Wentz. But at least I like the Raiders chances against the Bengals better than against the Chiefs (which is who the Raiders would have played this week if that game had ended in a tie last night).

YES Sean I agree that they have a better chance vs Cincy than KC.  The Bengals have zero experience.  Derrick Carr is a battle tested veteran. Burrows likely has more raw talent but Carr has more experience.  The cold is a concern.  Speaking of which, CBS had the nerve to say NE would benefit by the cold weather in Buffalo.  10 mph winds and single digit temps are the early forecast.  Of course that is a 6 days out forecast.  But its going to be cold on Saturday night in Buffalo.  But 10 mph winds is far from what happened on that Monday night. And what did the Bills do since that?  Lead the league in QB sacks by a mile. And what has Mac Jones done?  One good game vs the worst team in football, Jacksonville.  Got shamed in Miami.  Blown out by the Bills in  NE in a game they really wanted.  Josh Allen is light years better than Jones. And the Bills can run the ball with Singletary and Moss.  NE is weak vs the run.   Miami had a 100 yard rusher in that game. Took Mac to the house on a pic 6.  I love our chances.  We will beat them.  And then likely a trip to KC looms.  If Billy boy Belecheck goes into his run only mode, Matt Milano and Edmunds Ed Oliver will be ready.  The Bills are the number one defense in the NFL. they have the best point differential in football.  Easily.  One guy on the morning shows that does not like them, he even says, "Im betting on the Bills".  They are saying that NE should have taken Mills (Houston QB who has been very good of late) over Jones. Mac Jones is not going to like single digit temps.  But both teams are cold weather teams.  NE just played in 80 degree heat in Miami.  Now they return to the frozen tundra of Western NY.  If Pegula built a dome the place would always be sold out. If I were younger I might brave that shit. No more.  I was at the 3rd coldest game in NFL history.  Bills vs Raiders playoff game back in I believe 1993.  They went into halftime with the lead. It was the fastest halftime in history it seemed.  I was in line to get a beer (on top of all the pepermint schnapps I was downing), and got back to my stand up seat to see Kelly hit Reed in the end zone. We had to stand it was so damn cold.  My buddy is now passed away (years ago), that went with me. Most of my former friends and those from the job are gone. I hope the Bills get it done while I am still in this life.  

The Packers will play the lowest remaining seed in the NFC after Sunday, and I'm hoping the Eagles can catch lightning in a bottle twice and beat Tom Brady. Again. That would mean we'd play the Eagles, but I think we can take them. Might not be easy, but so long as we win, I'm happy.

9 hours ago, Electrophile said:

The Packers will play the lowest remaining seed in the NFC after Sunday, and I'm hoping the Eagles can catch lightning in a bottle twice and beat Tom Brady. Again. That would mean we'd play the Eagles, but I think we can take them. Might not be easy, but so long as we win, I'm happy.

Green Bay had best worry about the Rams far more than Brady and his band of banged up Bucs. When they play the Rams, they will lose just like they did the last two times they played.  The Rams are Tampa's worst nightmare.  Green Bay will not lose to Tampa if that happens.  I say it wont happen and the Rams at Green Bay will be a classic final.  Regardless of the outcome in Dallas. I think the 49ers have a shot in that one. My main concern is my Bills taking out NE which they should.  We have the far better QB.  Not close. Josh Allen vs Mac Jones, a rookie with a ton of problems. Miami just took care of them after we went up there and beat them good. I see the Rams beating Arizona.  Arizona got whacked good by Seattle at home in last game.  Their only good game in the last two months was the win at Dallas.  Dallas is so over rated.  You know, the Eagles could really pull it off.  Tampa is missing some of their top players.  It did not show in the Carolina game because I believe Carolina simply quit.  They had a good defense this year but they layed down in this one.  The Jets had Tampa on the ropes. The Jets defense really played better the last month.  They should have won that game vs Tampa.  A blown coverage cost them. They had to go 92 yards with less than a minute left.  And they did somehow. There were some questionable calls from what I hear.  But Tampa might get exposed in this Eagles game.  On defense for sure.  If the Eagles run the ball effectively they can keep it away from Brady and then put him in throw only mode.  Not sure the Eagles secondary is good enough though?

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

Looking at the coach's that got fired, I really think Flores should have been kept on at Miami.  That one is strange. He brought them back from 1-7.  That rarely happens. True it was vs bad teams. But they could have rolled over and he did not allow that to happen.   So he did a good job.  He had no real QB.  They will move on from Tua who was a bust. If they had a bette QB they likely would have made the playoffs.  But they swept NE.  My hats off to you for that Mr Flores.  Flores will be hired elsewhere.  Not sure if at a head coach position immediately?  Might have to go the assistant route to get back to the top?  Tough to say

On 1/11/2022 at 5:53 PM, Strider said:

Should be some good games this weekend. Can the 49ers upset the Cowboys?

It's basically an even matchup. The 49'ers were just in the Super Bowl 2 seasons ago and were decimated by injuries last season, like the Cowboys were. Should be a great game. Probably comes down to Gould makes kicks and Zuerlein doesn't.

On 1/9/2022 at 4:36 PM, the chase said:

60 minutes of football Rick.  There's no mercy rule in professional sports... That worst team in the NFL just kicked the crap out of the Colts.. Any Given Sunday..

Besides, did you call out the Bills for running up the score against the Texans 40-0?  or the Jets 45-17?    

oh and Happy New Year  

Have not seen you much Chase?  Hope you are ok with this nightmare called Covid?  You know, a rookie QB has not won a playoff game since 2012 and it was Russel Wilson.  The Bills lead the NFL in sacks the last four weeks by a mile.  They have been lights out on defense and they have the best point differential in football.  Belecheck does not play the game.  Too bad for you guys  But losing this game is no disgrace for them.  After all after last year Brady pretty much had everyone saying all of the success up there over the years was all Brady.  This year proves it was Belecheck also. Mac Jones is a big step down from Brady. And Josh Allen is the best QB we have ever had.  And Jim Kelly is the first to say that. He was the best draft pick in a long time and the Jets are really kicking themselves for not taking him.

On 1/10/2022 at 12:18 PM, Walter said:

AFC:

Raiders at Bengals

Patriots at Bills

Steelers at Chiefs

I really do not have an idea why that Raiders line keeps dropping?  Its the only line that has moved in days.  Your boys are in for a fight with the 49ers.  So are you cheering for the Bills in this game Saturday?

The pro bowl voting is a compete joke.  The Bills have the number one defense in football and not one of them made it?  Are you kidding me?  Ed Oliver, Mica Hyde, Jordan Poyer, Matt Milano?  And T White would have made it if not out for season.  A huge loss but we are still good. Teren Johnson steps in and he is the guy who took Lamar and Rothleburger to the house in two big games last year.  One being the 103 yd return in the playoffs. 

Huge game in Buffalo tonight. Single digit temps.  Like the one I was at in 93 vs the Raiders.  We froze our ass's off.  Drinking schnapps and beer the entire game did not help at all, but took our minds off it.  An old friend i worked with for years went with me.  He passed away years back.  I wish they would just do what the Vikings did.  Get a damn dome.  It did not help them win, as they were great in the nasty weather , but having a guy of Allen's caliber it would help.   But if the Chargers were coming in here, and that almost happened, it would have been a huge advantage for Buffalo.   We just need to school this rookie again and then set up a date with the Chiefs

42 minutes ago, Electrophile said:

AP All-Pro is not the same as the Pro Bowl, Rick. 

You are correct. All-Pro is much more of an honor. 
3 Cowboys selected as All-Pro players and received the most votes at their position: 
CB Trevon Diggs, LB Micah Parsons and RG Zack Martin. 

Picks for tonight:

Bengals

Bills

7 degrees at Orchard Park, NY right now with a feels like temp of -5

Bengals move on with some help from the refs. Sorry Strider. We were pulling for da Raidas! I think they just called another holding penalty….🙄

Edited by Walter

On 1/14/2022 at 12:18 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Have not seen you much Chase?  Hope you are ok with this nightmare called Covid?  You know, a rookie QB has not won a playoff game since 2012 and it was Russel Wilson.  The Bills lead the NFL in sacks the last four weeks by a mile.  They have been lights out on defense and they have the best point differential in football.  Belecheck does not play the game.  Too bad for you guys  But losing this game is no disgrace for them.  After all after last year Brady pretty much had everyone saying all of the success up there over the years was all Brady.  This year proves it was Belecheck also. Mac Jones is a big step down from Brady. And Josh Allen is the best QB we have ever had.  And Jim Kelly is the first to say that. He was the best draft pick in a long time and the Jets are really kicking themselves for not taking him.

hi Rick. We're good thanks. Hope you and your Family are well. We both had Covid in September.. We were lucky we didn't get it too bad.

Tom Brady was pretty much a rookie when he stepped in for Drew Bledsoe. It was his second year, but he didn't really play at all his first year... but yeah, point taken..

The Patriots haven't been the same since the Bi-week, they went from 7 wins in a row to 1-3... but we'll see what happens.. Pretty one sided game so far..