10 movies that most Americans have seen.

kingzoso

3 hours ago, kingzoso said:

In no particular order:

The Godfather 1 and 2.

Scarface.

Pretty Woman.

Die Hard.

Goodfellas

Star Wars.

Pretty in Pink.

Dirty Dancing.

Breakfast Club.

16 Candles

(Plus many many more).

For OUR generation I think this list is pretty spot-on.

Gone With The Wind

Casablanca

Ben Hur

The Ten Commandments

The Godfather (1 & 2)

The Wizard of Oz

Lawrence of Arabia

It's A Wonderful Life

The Searchers

Doctor Zhivago

Edited by kipper

You'd be surprised how many people I meet that have never seen "The Godfather", "Casablanca", "Star Wars", "Gone With the Wind".

It's impossible to assume what movies most Americans have seen now that our culture is even more fractured than ever.

Edited by Strider

4 minutes ago, Strider said:

You'd be surprised how many people I meet that have never seen "The Godfather", "Casablanca", "Star Wars", "Gone With the Wind".

It's impossible to assume what movies most Americans have seen now that our culture is even more fractured than ever.

I took the OPs question about "most Americans" and then filtered that through my idea of what most "intelligent, inquisitive, art appreciating, well informed, and culturally enlightened Americans" would have seen, while leaving political ideology out of it.  I just shot off 10 films I figured represented a small part of that, but had I had a few more slots to fill I would have added Citizen Kane, Birth of a Nation, The Grapes of Wrath,  To Kill a Mockingbird, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, The Best Years of Our Lives, Midnight Cowboy, and so many more.

You are right Strider, there is a "fracture" today more than ever on this subject, not just in films, but also music, books, and so much more. People who are your and my age I think experienced more variety than younger people today.  We read books in school like Huckleberry Finn and Cather in the Rye, stuff most schools have cancelled and now replaced with whatever "woke" subject matter fits the agendas.  I think we were brought up to appreciate variety of art---maybe just because film it was such a bigger industry back then. Today studios only make a fraction of the amount of films they used to make. Today they are all going for the blockbuster---or the subject matter which interests the movie goer in China who spends most of the money today.  Today a story like Sunset Blvd would likely never get a green light to produce, just not enough explosions and robots.

I feel sorry for anyone who would come up with a list with any of these in them:

the Avengers films

Star Wars films

Harry Potter films

Lord of the Rings films

Jurassic films

Transformer films

Titanic (1997)

2 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Thank you.  I could add another 10 movies that would make this list.  

What movies would be on your list?

Well, besides your excellent list, Kip's first list was damn fine. I hate Gone with the Wind, too much over acting, seemed like a movie version of a soap opera, just too much. However its a classic, just because I don't like it does not mean most of our generation have not seen it, the contrary in fact.

I would add Scent of a Woman as that was huge when it came out, Brian's Song, MASH (movie of course), Lolita, and The Shining. In fact, I would probably place The Shining of just about every generations list of top 10's from the Baby Boomers to whatever the hell the are calling this generation. My 25 year old step-son and his friends love The Shining and pretty much all movies from the 60's through the 80's. He says everyone he knows realizes the greatest years in cinema were the late 50's - mid-80's and they really go for those movies. Though Drew (my step-son) is a lot like me in that he loves ALL cinema, from 1903's The Great Train Robbery up to the present with movies such as Parasite and Nomadland.

This latest generation is a rather closed-lip bunch due to the prevalence of social media, but once they open up, its rather surprising how aware they can be. Not all but many and that's a start.

13 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Titanic is probably the most watched movie ever.  

Don't be fooled by inflationary grosses. Going by the number of admissions I bet "Gone With the Wind" still ranks higher than "Titanic", especially when you consider all the theatrical re-releases for the 10th, 25th, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th, and 75th anniversaries.

12 hours ago, kipper said:

I prefer A Night to Remember (1958)

By far.

Some movies I feel have been left out are...

"Back to the Future". Even the Europeans, especially the French, love this movie. An original one-sheet poster used to be had for $50 just a few years agp. Now they fetch $300 and up.

"Shawshank Redemption". One of those movies that seems to cross all ages and demographics and is more beloved as time goes on. It is also one of the few movies that guys aren't afraid to admit they shed a tear or two..."Dirty Dozen" and "Brian's Song" being two others.

"Jaws". "Love Story" and "The Godfather" were the first $100,000,000 blockbusters of the 1970s but it was "Jaws" that really exploded the pop-culture landscape and changed the definition of "blockbuster" by banking more than $200,000,000. From this moment on, the studios would target the summer market like never before, paving the way for the all the blockbusters to come. This film gets screened all over town, especially during the 4th of July holiday, and always draws packed houses. Parents and grandparents bring the young ones to share the experience of the first summer blockbuster. The scene where the head pops out of the boat still makes people jump and shriek.

"Raiders of the Lost Ark". There is a sizeable segment of the population that prefers this to "Star Wars". Another hardy perennial on the revival circuit and the home video/dvd market.

Any of the classic Disney movies from "Snow White" to "Bambi" to "Peter Pan" to "101 Dalmations" to "The Jungle Book" to "The Lion King". You and I watched them as a kid a billion times and every generation since is raised on them.  

Possible others....

Animal House

Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind

Blues Brothers

Forrest Gump

Christmas Story

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood....at least according to this site !   :whistling:

Edited by Bong-Man

12 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Well, besides your excellent list, Kip's first list was damn fine. I hate Gone with the Wind, too much over acting, seemed like a movie version of a soap opera, just too much. However its a classic, just because I don't like it does not mean most of our generation have not seen it, the contrary in fact.

I would add Scent of a Woman as that was huge when it came out, Brian's Song, MASH (movie of course), Lolita, and The Shining. In fact, I would probably place The Shining of just about every generations list of top 10's from the Baby Boomers to whatever the hell the are calling this generation. My 25 year old step-son and his friends love The Shining and pretty much all movies from the 60's through the 80's. He says everyone he knows realizes the greatest years in cinema were the late 50's - mid-80's and they really go for those movies. Though Drew (my step-son) is a lot like me in that he loves ALL cinema, from 1903's The Great Train Robbery up to the present with movies such as Parasite and Nomadland.

This latest generation is a rather closed-lip bunch due to the prevalence of social media, but once they open up, its rather surprising how aware they can be. Not all but many and that's a start.

Another movie that I have never seen is Gone with the Wind and Casablanca.

Yeah, I haven't seen Gone With The Wind either. Or Forrest Gump. Or Star Wars (any of em). Or Lord of the Rings (any of em). Or the Blues Brothers, Animal House, Scarface, the Wizard of Oz, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Snow White, Bambi and probably several others on these lists. I thought I liked films til I read this!

1 minute ago, Brigante said:

Yeah, I haven't seen Gone With The Wind either. Or Forrest Gump. Or Star Wars (any of em). Or Lord of the Rings (any of em). Or the Blues Brothers, Animal House, Scarface, the Wizard of Oz, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Snow White, Bambi and probably several others on these lists. I thought I liked films til I read this!

How about Freddie Got Fingered? Now there is a classic :hysterical:

ok 30 movies that most American's have seen.. yeah I know some are already mentioned..that's why I went with 30 ..

King Kong (1933)

Jaws

Close Encounters of The 3rd Kind

Rocky

E.T.

Ben Hur

Star Wars Episode 4

Psycho

Jurassic Park

It's A Wonderful Life

Planet Of The Apes (1968)

Batman (1989)

Mean Girls (Daughter's idea)

Fargo

Animal House 

National Lampoon's Vacation

Wizard Of Oz

Ghost

The Shining

Godzilla (1956)

The Sound Of Music

Mary Poppins 

The Lion King

Toy Story

Forrest Gump

Frankenstein (1931)

Dracula (1931)

The Godfather

Back To The Future

Willie Wonka And The Chocolate Factory

Edited by the chase

Where’s Caddy Shack in all of this!?!

Vacation 

Christmas Vacation

Back To School

Meet The Parents

We’ve all seen them on cable, HBO or at the theatre. Box office sales can’t be the sold determiner!