Gadgets and Technology

redeyedrichard

My nephew gave me a Yamaha 'Pocketrak' digital recorder.

I also have a Sony Mini-Disc recorder but it's a pain to find anyone who can transfer the disc to a cd.

At least the Pocketrak has a USB connection. B)

The Sony Mini-Disc is my favorite gadget. I tried upgrading to a Roland/Edirol HR-09 and it's cool, but I've gone back to recording my gigs with the minidisc. The battery life is great, the auto-level works great, it's fool-proof, bulletproof, tiny,

I love it, I've had it for nine years now. Yeah, I have to transfer to CD first (I lost that strange usb adaptor) but I don't mind that

The Sony Mini-Disc is my favorite gadget. I tried upgrading to a Roland/Edirol HR-09 and it's cool, but I've gone back to recording my gigs with the minidisc. The battery life is great, the auto-level works great, it's fool-proof, bulletproof, tiny,

I love it, I've had it for nine years now. Yeah, I have to transfer to CD first (I lost that strange usb adaptor) but I don't mind that

Actually, I think the mini-disc records better at least from what I've heard so far on the Pocketrak. My problem now is I don't have a computer to load the editing disc into to clean up the sound. I wish my nephew would give me a computer too. :D

Do they make a USB adaptor for the mini-disc?

Yes they do, it came with it, in fact, I just lost it.

So THAT's how they transfer to the computer. I have the instruction book but it doesn't even mention a USB connection and everyone I've showed it to couldn't figure it out. Guess I'll have to get one. Thanks. :)

It is a nice little machine and a friend actually gave it to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I will be shopping for a new iPod soon. Just wondering what you all would recommend between the iPod classic and iPod touch (I'm thinking the 8G iPod touch would probably do, because my playlist is in the hundreds rather than thousands, but anyone have regrets over not getting more?).

We won't be able to get iPhones this contract, btw; Verizon still has the only decent coverage in our area. So no concerns with apple product redundancy :)

Thanks! :)

9 years ? The Hi-MD player was introduced in 2004 and has the capability of recording in PCM,lossless CD quality (bitrate-1411 kbps). Previously the best bitrate you could get was 292 kbps which isn't even the best mp3 quality.

I hope if you're trading any of these shows you record you let the receiver know it's a lossy recording.

2eckw8x.jpg

Looks like I will be shopping for a new iPod soon. Just wondering what you all would recommend between the iPod classic and iPod touch (I'm thinking the 8G iPod touch would probably do, because my playlist is in the hundreds rather than thousands, but anyone have regrets over not getting more?).

We won't be able to get iPhones this contract, btw; Verizon still has the only decent coverage in our area. So no concerns with apple product redundancy :)

Thanks! :)

IPod touch does everything the IPhone does (except the obvious) so I would recommend it, especially if you have wireless internet.

• 9 months later...

So, anyone using Google+ yet? :unsure:

I saw too that Spotify is coming to the US. I registered and am curious to see how it compares to Pandora (which I love).

Found a comparison:

Spotify-Rdio-Grooveshark-Pandora

I used to really love Grooveshark, but switched to Pandora about a year and a half ago because I kept picking up malware; and Grooveshark was very bandwidth-heavy as well.

No, I'm not using Google+. I already use Twitter, and that's enough. I recently deactivated my Facebook account, as well. I still use Grooveshark because I haven't had any issues with it, although there's a couple other sites I use for listening to music that also give you the option of downloading the song; which is great because I can fill up my iTunes library.

No, I'm not using Google+. I already use Twitter, and that's enough. I recently deactivated my Facebook account, as well. I still use Grooveshark because I haven't had any issues with it, although there's a couple other sites I use for listening to music that also give you the option of downloading the song; which is great because I can fill up my iTunes library.

I don't understand the draw for Google+. I'd be interested to hear how people are using it and what they think, particularly vs Facebook.

If useful may have a look see, Not a big fan of tech for tech sake . E.G. my Mother likes a phonecall more than anything the holodeck can provide.

So everyone has a different take on the subject..

Oh I will visit soon mam, promise.....

I bought my wife and IPad 2 and she loves it completely. I can appreciate certain things about it, the portability of it and the screen size is bigger than an Iphone. I also like how their EBooks "flip the page", that's pretty cool. Surfing the web and email seem effortless enough but really, I don't see what the big deal is regarding them either.

Retailers can't keep them on the shelf though, so I must be in the minority here.

• 1 month later...

I found a good online food/exercise tracker: myfitnesspal.com, in case anyone is interested.

New question: For the iPhone users - what size for someone whose music library is unlikely to exceed the hundreds of songs and probably won't use that many apps, but may have a few hundred photos? How quickly does 16GB get used up? Is a 32GB really necessary? (can't imagine ever filling up a 64GB). This would be Verizon if that makes a difference.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well I am making the big switch this week with my phone and internet provider. I have Direct TV and am going to get the bundles package with Verizon. Going to dump the greedy Time Warner. I will get three free months of HBO, Cinemax, Starz and all. I have had it with Time Warner. Many of you probably have Comcast? The other big one in the US? Its not in our area but I have seen it out of town.

Archived