2022 NFL Thread

Walter

Where is the justice in this? Those that had the idea of making up the Bills vs Bengals game in the off week, between title game and Super Bowl were right. All they had to do is play the NFC playoff games on time. And push the AFC back a week, make up the damn game and then see where the chips fall. But instead, they gift KC.  Give them a bye.  They play a dick schedule compared to Bills and Bengals and Ravens who also got fucked. So the Bills and Bengals would have to meet and winner gets KC.  

Whaat the fuck is wrong with this site?

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

remember my plan few days ago, depending on results of final weekend if  Bills/Cincy needed to be played for seeding then play their game next weekend, everyone else rests  and once that game determines seeding begin playoffs 1 week later with only a week separating championship game and super bowl, think personally that commissioner was run over by players union , they showed during covid they can adapt and play mid week etc... I guess they chose the easier path forward, i'm sure Bills fans and Bengal fans are pissed they beat Chiefs head to head and chiefs will be resting, oh well.....

The Bills did not get screwed in any way here, and KC is not unfairly benefiting.  They *opted* to not return to the field Monday night, and they were lucky Cincinnati accommodated them.  They made a choice and should live with the consequences.  The Bengals would have been well within their rights to demand a forfeit from Buffalo.  (Although they would have been crucified by the hypocritical and manipulative media over it.)  The Bengals are the only party who's really getting shafted there (esp. with the League changing clearly defined rules on the fly), as they had a realistic chance to be the #2 seed and sit people today.

I wonder if Miami plans to play Tua?

I would be a bit scared if Lamar is a go if Im Cincinnati.  Baltimore gives them fits.  If Baltimore can win, a trip to KC is reward.  I think they would be a nightmare for KC on both sides of ball.  

If Tua goes, Id say line goes to 8.5.  If not, I say 14.5.  
I hope Baltimore goes to KC or Chargers.  Jax would have no shot.  Bills may get Cincinnati if they take care of Miami.  It will be in Buffalo.  By then a potential neutral site would be named.  Detroit might be considered a home game for Bills?  We have lots v4 of fans there.  I am happy for Lions 🦁.  They will no longer be door mats. Im picking them to win division right now next year.  Tons of quality picks.  Geoff could have won SB with Rams also.  Geoff and Lions 🦁 will be major players next year.  

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

55 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I think Dallas will be Bradys last game.  I have to wonder if Dallas cared at all about that game yesterday?  Doubt it.  

I smoked a pork butt and had friends over and missed cowboy game and assumed Dallas rested Dak, Pollard, zeke etc... but found out they played full game and got destroyed they will be 1 and done again, Bucs who have no business being in playoffs will most likely look like world beaters against  turnover Dak and the boys, another note saw after dismal packer performance Rodgers was back to his drama again, this guy should get a job on the view😆

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I think Dallas will be Bradys last game.  I have to wonder if Dallas cared at all about that game yesterday?  Doubt it.  

We can only hope. They played like absolute sh!t yesterday. Looked very similar to week 1 vs Tampa. 

The NFL could have re-scheduled the Bills @ Bengals game for this week and just pushed the playoffs back one week and eliminate the two-week wait between the Conference Championships and the Super Bowl as they did in 1990 and in other years. 

But they didn't. You can cry it is unfair to Cincinnati and Buffalo and whomever. But at this point it's crying over spilt milk. Move on and deal with it. Life is unfair.

The point is if you are a great team, you can win anywhere in any circumstance. I have been celebrating the 50th anniversary of the undefeated 1972 Miami Dolphins team by watching as many of their games (regular season and playoffs) as I can find. In a quirk of the NFL rules at that time (which would not be fixed until 1975), there was no playoff seeding based on team's records. The league rotated the host of the Conference Championship games among the divisions, no matter what the team's records were. Hence, the undefeated 15-0 Dolphins had to travel to Pittsburgh and play the 12-3 Steelers at Three Rivers Stadium for the AFC Championship. Imagine if the undefeated New England Patriots of 2007 had had to go to Pittsburgh or Indianapolis to play the Conference Championship game instead of having all the games in New England?

2 hours ago, Strider said:

The NFL could have re-scheduled the Bills @ Bengals game for this week and just pushed the playoffs back one week and eliminate the two-week wait between the Conference Championships and the Super Bowl as they did in 1990 and in other years. 

But they didn't. You can cry it is unfair to Cincinnati and Buffalo and whomever. But at this point it's crying over spilt milk. Move on and deal with it. Life is unfair.

The point is if you are a great team, you can win anywhere in any circumstance. I have been celebrating the 50th anniversary of the undefeated 1972 Miami Dolphins team by watching as many of their games (regular season and playoffs) as I can find. In a quirk of the NFL rules at that time (which would not be fixed until 1975), there was no playoff seeding based on team's records. The league rotated the host of the Conference Championship games among the divisions, no matter what the team's records were. Hence, the undefeated 15-0 Dolphins had to travel to Pittsburgh and play the 12-3 Steelers at Three Rivers Stadium for the AFC Championship. Imagine if the undefeated New England Patriots of 2007 had had to go to Pittsburgh or Indianapolis to play the Conference Championship game instead of having all the games in New England?

I actually didn't realize that and was 12 at the time and watched sports year round and was somewhat a fanatic  with Cowboys, Mets, and Knicks, what I remember was Earl Morral replacing Griese for most of the season to a broken ankle? and Shula reinstating Griese at end of year, imagine if Bill up in New England did that to Brady when Bledsoe  came back?

4 hours ago, Strider said:

Never knew that. I didn’t really pay attention to football until the Raiders/Vikings Super Bowl and I had just turned 7 at that point.
I agree with what you’re saying. The league will do whatever the league wants. Either accept it or don’t. 

On 1/9/2023 at 10:25 AM, Walter said:

We can only hope. They played like absolute sh!t yesterday. Looked very similar to week 1 vs Tampa. 

I say they beat Tampa and I bet them early along w Bills and Chargers.  Bills just went to -12.5 w announcement Tua not playing.  I think Ravens can beat Cincy w Lamar.  Giants vs Vikings is tough.  SF should roll.  Too bad Lions 🦁 didnt get In. 

On 1/9/2023 at 1:49 PM, custard pie man said:

I actually didn't realize that and was 12 at the time and watched sports year round and was somewhat a fanatic  with Cowboys, Mets, and Knicks, what I remember was Earl Morral replacing Griese for most of the season to a broken ankle? and Shula reinstating Griese at end of year, imagine if Bill up in New England did that to Brady when Bledsoe  came back?

Yes, Bob Griese broke his ankle early in the game against the San Diego Chargers in Week 5. Earl Morrall, who had been a back-up to Johnny Unitas with the Baltimore Colts in the 1960s, stepped in at quarterback and rode the running of Larry Czonka, Mercury Morris, and Jim Kiick the rest of the season.

The 1972 Dolphins became the first team to have two running backs rush for 1,000+ yards in a season...Czonka and Morris. The 1972 Dolphins ranked first in total offense, total defense, scoring offense, and scoring defense.

Bob Griese came back from his injury by week 14, the last game of the regular season, but Coach Don Shula kept Earl Morrall as the starting quarterback. Earl Morrall also started the Dolphins first two playoff games against Cleveland and Pittsburgh. But the offense looked lackluster against Cleveland. Then, when it struggled again in the first half against the Steelers and the Steelers took the lead in the third quarter, Coach Shula put Griese in as quarterback and they never looked back after that. They played and beat the Washington Redskins in Super Bowl VII. It was the seventh year of Miami's existence as a franchise, the quickest an NFL team had reached a championship after forming.

You might wonder why I'm so into Miami lore? The Miami Dolphins were my second-favourite team after the Raiders. Like the Raiders, I got to see many Dolphins games on TV, as NBC (which carried the AFC games) loved to broadcast the Dolphins as much as the Raiders. In fact, with the blackout rule still in effect in 1972 (home games could not be shown in the home team's city even if the game was sold out), I bet I saw more Miami Dolphins games than Paul Carruthers.

President Nixon and many of his staff and other politicians in Washington were big Redskins fans. It was their anger at the NFL for not being able to watch the Redskins on TV the year they went to the Super Bowl (even though the Redskins had sold out every home game since 1966) that caused the NFL to change the blackout rule the next year.

6 hours ago, Strider said:

Yes, Bob Griese broke his ankle early in the game against the San Diego Chargers in Week 5. Earl Morrall, who had been a back-up to Johnny Unitas with the Baltimore Colts in the 1960s, stepped in at quarterback and rode the running of Larry Czonka, Mercury Morris, and Jim Kiick the rest of the season.

The 1972 Dolphins became the first team to have two running backs rush for 1,000+ yards in a season...Czonka and Morris. The 1972 Dolphins ranked first in total offense, total defense, scoring offense, and scoring defense.

Bob Griese came back from his injury by week 14, the last game of the regular season, but Coach Don Shula kept Earl Morrall as the starting quarterback. Earl Morrall also started the Dolphins first two playoff games against Cleveland and Pittsburgh. But the offense looked lackluster against Cleveland. Then, when it struggled again in the first half against the Steelers and the Steelers took the lead in the third quarter, Coach Shula put Griese in as quarterback and they never looked back after that. They played and beat the Washington Redskins in Super Bowl VII. It was the seventh year of Miami's existence as a franchise, the quickest an NFL team had reached a championship after forming.

You might wonder why I'm so into Miami lore? The Miami Dolphins were my second-favourite team after the Raiders. Like the Raiders, I got to see many Dolphins games on TV, as NBC (which carried the AFC games) loved to broadcast the Dolphins as much as the Raiders. In fact, with the blackout rule still in effect in 1972 (home games could not be shown in the home team's city even if the game was sold out), I bet I saw more Miami Dolphins games than Paul Carruthers.

President Nixon and many of his staff and other politicians in Washington were big Redskins fans. It was their anger at the NFL for not being able to watch the Redskins on TV the year they went to the Super Bowl (even though the Redskins had sold out every home game since 1966) that caused the NFL to change the blackout rule the next year.

yes NBC always had Raiders and Dolpphins and Steelers on up here in new england and Curt Gowdy seemed to always do the big games, cbs always had my cowboys on but sometimes we were stuck watching the lousy Giants

2 hours ago, custard pie man said:

yes NBC always had Raiders and Dolpphins and Steelers on up here in new england and Curt Gowdy seemed to always do the big games, cbs always had my cowboys on but sometimes we were stuck watching the lousy Giants

Ha.  The damn Giants.  Amen.  We get stuck with Giants and Jets all the time if my Bills are not on.  Do you think we can get another Bills vs Dallas SB? This time I assure you the Bills would murder them.  I love Dallas over Tampa on Monday.  But I do not see them beating SF .  Maybe Philly?  Who knows.  The Giants and Vikings game is a mystery and so is the Chargers game, where I like the Chargers.  I still think they are selling Baltimore short.  They give Cincy fits.  If Huntley can play they are dangerous.  But must have either Lamar or Huntley.  No shot with third string.  Bills should murder Miami.  I do not see Miami scoring much.  I do not think they can hang with the  Bills even if they had Tua.  Without him, forget it.  

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Ha.  The damn Giants.  Amen.  We get stuck with Giants and Jets all the time if my Bills are not on.  Do you think we can get another Bills vs Dallas SB? This time I assure you the Bills would murder them.  I love Dallas over Tampa on Monday.  But I do not see them beating SF .  Maybe Philly?  Who knows.  The Giants and Vikings game is a mystery and so is the Chargers game, where I like the Chargers.  I still think they are selling Baltimore short.  They give Cincy fits.  If Huntley can play they are dangerous.  But must have either Lamar or Huntley.  No shot with third string.  Bills should murder Miami.  I do not see Miami scoring much.  I do not think they can hang with the  Bills even if they had Tua.  Without him, forget it.  

According to reports, Huntley didn't throw the ball at all during yesterday's practice.

13 hours ago, Strider said:

Miami can't play Tua. They can't risk his future over a football game. 

Its a PLAYOFF GAME SEAN.   Not just another game because the Raiders are watching on TV.  Line is up to 13.5.  The game I am really interested in as I feel the Bills and 49ers will win, is that Baltimore game.  I am hoping Baltimore wins.  They can give KC fits. But if Cincy holds serve, it would set up a potential showdown in Buffalo between Bengals and Bills.  Many are picking  the Giants to beat the Vikings.  Im not sold. I like Dallas to beat Tampa and make it Brady's last game. And I have a very good capper in Vegas behind me.  The Bills and 49ers should win their games.  The Bengals likely do but I believe Baltimore is very dangerous as not only do they have a very good defense, they have given Cincy fits.  I am on the Chargers but some like Jax.  I do not know why?  Maybe because they blew them out early in the season?  When Jacksonville was playing lights out. ?  They looked like crap last week even though they beat Tennessee.  Im not impressed with Lawrence.  Ill take Herbert over him. But the Chargers cant stop the run. So who knows?  Minnesota getting little respect even with their much better record.  The Giants should have beat them they say a few weeks ago.  I guess it could go to the wire?  

Who is rooting for a Super Bowl rematch? Kansas City vs. Minnesota. Or maybe Dallas vs. Buffalo. Here are all of the Super Bowl rematch possibilities in this year's playoffs.

Super Bowl IV: Kansas City vs. Minnesota

Super Bowl V: Baltimore vs. Dallas (Yeah, I know technically the old Baltimore Colts are now in Indianapolis)

Super Bowl VI: Miami vs. Dallas (This would be a shocking rematch)

Super Bowl VIII: Miami vs. Minnesota (This would be another shock)

Super Bowl XVI and XXIII: Cincinnati vs. San Francisco (Probably the second-most likely rematch after KC vs. SF)

Super Bowl XIX: Miami vs. San Francisco

Super Bowl XXV: Buffalo vs. New York Giants (Could Buffalo erase the ghosts of past Super Bowl flops?)

Super Bowl XXVII and XXVIII: Buffalo vs. Dallas

Super Bowl XXIX: San Diego Chargers vs. San Francisco

Super Bowl XXXV: Baltimore vs. New York Giants (This would be another dud like the first one was)

Super Bowl XLVII: Baltimore vs. San Francisco 

Super Bowl LIV: Kansas City vs. San Francisco (Odds are this is the most likely rematch to happen)

Super Bowl LV: Kansas City vs. Tampa Bay (One last gasp for The G.O.A.T.?)

Some 49er history. 

In September 1996, the 49ers announced they would be demolishing Candlestick Park to replace it with a brand-new 75,000-seat stadium, complete with a shopping mall developed by team owner Eddie DeBartolo Jr.’s real estate firm. It would upgrade the decrepit stadium and create a vibrant new hub by the waterfront. There was just one problem: It was projected to cost over $500 million — and the team expected the city of San Francisco to help fund it.

This, to say the least, was a sticking point. In 1997, two ballot measures were put in front of San Franciscans. Propositions D and F would approve $100 million in bonds to fund the construction of the new Candlestick. If passed, it would be the first time in the city’s history that public funding was used for a new sports stadium. Voters were split, and the 49ers poured money into campaign ads.

The 49ers’ campaign manager was Jack Davis, a well-known mover and shaker in the California political scene. Turnout at his 50th birthday party in San Francisco was a who’s who of 1997: Mayor Willie Brown, Sheriff Mike Hennessey, District Attorney Terence Hallinan, then-Executive Vice President of the Giants Larry Baer, the top brass of the 49ers and a number of city supervisors. Also in attendance were multiple sex workers, performing live sex acts for the crowd. 

Among the entertainers were “male and female strippers from the Mitchell Brothers theater, some simulating fellatio; a 300-plus pound sadomasochist performing oral sex on his female partner; and a leather-clad dominatrix who carved a satanic star into a man’s back, urinated on him and sodomized him with a bottle of Jack Daniel’s,” the San Francisco Examiner wrote. 

Sheriff Hennessey wryly told the reporter, “That’s a waste of a bottle of good booze.”

Of course the SF stadium deal fell through and they ended up south in Santa Clara. Football or sodomy? 😄

6 hours ago, redrum said:

Some 49er history. 

In September 1996, the 49ers announced they would be demolishing Candlestick Park to replace it with a brand-new 75,000-seat stadium, complete with a shopping mall developed by team owner Eddie DeBartolo Jr.’s real estate firm. It would upgrade the decrepit stadium and create a vibrant new hub by the waterfront. There was just one problem: It was projected to cost over $500 million — and the team expected the city of San Francisco to help fund it.

This, to say the least, was a sticking point. In 1997, two ballot measures were put in front of San Franciscans. Propositions D and F would approve $100 million in bonds to fund the construction of the new Candlestick. If passed, it would be the first time in the city’s history that public funding was used for a new sports stadium. Voters were split, and the 49ers poured money into campaign ads.

The 49ers’ campaign manager was Jack Davis, a well-known mover and shaker in the California political scene. Turnout at his 50th birthday party in San Francisco was a who’s who of 1997: Mayor Willie Brown, Sheriff Mike Hennessey, District Attorney Terence Hallinan, then-Executive Vice President of the Giants Larry Baer, the top brass of the 49ers and a number of city supervisors. Also in attendance were multiple sex workers, performing live sex acts for the crowd. 

Among the entertainers were “male and female strippers from the Mitchell Brothers theater, some simulating fellatio; a 300-plus pound sadomasochist performing oral sex on his female partner; and a leather-clad dominatrix who carved a satanic star into a man’s back, urinated on him and sodomized him with a bottle of Jack Daniel’s,” the San Francisco Examiner wrote. 

Sheriff Hennessey wryly told the reporter, “That’s a waste of a bottle of good booze.”

Of course the SF stadium deal fell through and they ended up south in Santa Clara. Football or sodomy? 😄

What a coincidence you brought up Candlestick. Today I watched the 2011 Divisional Playoff game between the San Francisco 49ers and New Orleans Saints played at The Stick on January 14, 2012. What a wild finish! 

The entire game is available to watch on youtube but the NFL won't let me post the link here.

I liked Candlestick and wish the 49ers still played there. Santa Clara is not San Francisco. It's like a team playing in San Diego and calling themselves Los Angeles...or vice versa.