2022 NFL Thread

Walter

13 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

I remember him, but the game was blacked out locally.  I believe the blackouts used to be 90 miles.  At that time, it didn't matter if the game was sold out or not.  You were blacked out from home games.  I was only 11 at the time, but I do remember people driving to Ohio just to watch the games when they were offered.  I agree with his wife.  The Lions should have retired his number.     

Did she really suggest that? I can't agree with it, but I've always found retiring numbers for anyone in a team sport to be a bit silly anyway. An empty locker for the remainder of the season and an on field memorial service no problem. 

11 hours ago, jimmie ray said:

Something Bonger brought up - I can't fathom why a team's broadcast would be blacked out, especially if the game sells out. Do the Lions sellout every Thanksgiving?

The NFL and most other sports had archaic TV rules back in the 1960s and 1970s before cable sports TV changed everything. The owners and leagues thought that fans wouldn't attend games in person if you broadcast them on tv. 

The game that Chuck Hughes died in wasn't a Thanksgiving game. It was on October 24, 1971. I remember seeing quite a few empty seats at the Detroit Thanksgiving games in the 1970s and 1980s...at least until Barry Sanders showed up.

5 hours ago, Strider said:

The NFL and most other sports had archaic TV rules back in the 1960s and 1970s before cable sports TV changed everything. The owners and leagues thought that fans wouldn't attend games in person if you broadcast them on tv. 

The game that Chuck Hughes died in wasn't a Thanksgiving game. It was on October 24, 1971. I remember seeing quite a few empty seats at the Detroit Thanksgiving games in the 1970s and 1980s...at least until Barry Sanders showed up.

Funny that the owners didn't think PSLs would keep fans from attending games, and the league gave one of the worst attendance draws an annual Thanksgiving game.

8 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Did she really suggest that? I can't agree with it, but I've always found retiring numbers for anyone in a team sport to be a bit silly anyway. An empty locker for the remainder of the season and an on field memorial service no problem. 

I can't really blame her for that.  The Lions didn't give out his number (85) for almost 30 years.  He's the only player to die on the field in the 100year history of the NFL.  With his widow and son still alive, it's never too late to do the right thing. It's also quite possible that pending litigation at the time caused a proper tribute to never take place.  I never give this organization the benefit of the doubt towards such matters.

All broadcast blackout rules for the NFL related to attendance ended in 2014.  From 1973 until 2014, the 72hour sell out rules were enforced to varying degrees.  Stadium size was one of the issues that tested those rules, and new stadiums like the Silverdome (80,000) brought that about.  Pre 1973, regular season home games were not broadcast.  I know this is hard to believe, but once upon a time the NFL actually gave priority to those people paying to see the games.  TV broadcasts were not the large source of revenue they are today.  This might be a good time to mention, "Heidi", but I'm not going there!  

Now you guys have forced me into defending these sad sacks.  Who was the first NFC wild card team in 1970, the year of the merger?  The Detroit Lions.  We had a very good young team.  Heisman winner Steve Owens, Lem Barney, Hall of Famer Charlie Sanders, even Karras was still contributing.  We went 10-4 and lost to Dallas 5-0 in the divisional round, with our young quarterback, Greg Landry, famously throwing up on the sidelines before and during the game from nerves. There was no wild card round, only 4 teams made the playoffs from each league.  So coming into the 1971 season, the Lions had high expectations.  Things quickly fell apart after Hughes death. As Green Bay rules the NFC North now, Minnesota ruled the Central then.  My teenage years were spent watching the Lions lose 14 in a row to the Vikings.  I abhorred Fran Tarkenton just like I abhor Aaron Rodgers today.   

Edited by Bong-Man

I wish we had Lem Barney or Roger Whirley.  Or Nolan Cromwell to replace Hamlin, who replaced Micah Hyde.

Damn the NFL if they give KC the top seed and bye.  The Bills should not be punished for this.  A neutral site if Bills and KC take out the rubbish, NE and Raider’s Bills and Bengals beat them.  No more gifts for fat Andy Reid

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

30 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I wish we had Lem Barney or Roger Whirley.  Or Nolan Cromwell to replace Hamlin, who replaced Micah Hyde.

Damn the NFL if they give KC the top seed and bye.  The Bills should not be punished for this.  A neutral site if Bills and KC take out the rubbish, NE and Raider’s Bills and Bengals beat them.  No more gifts for fat Andy Reid

I feel for you and the Bills organization. What happened is bigger than a game, and I certainly hope he makes a full recovery as we all do, but this leaves the NFL in a tough situation.  Not sure how this will be resolved.  However, if they choose to go with a neutral site (not going to happen), they say 3rd time is the charm. 

3 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

I can't really blame her for that.  The Lions didn't give out his number (85) for almost 30 years.  He's the only player to die on the field in the 100year history of the NFL.  With his widow and son still alive, it's never too late to do the right thing. It's also quite possible that pending litigation at the time caused a proper tribute to never take place.  I never give this organization the benefit of the doubt towards such matters.

All broadcast blackout rules for the NFL related to attendance ended in 2014.  From 1973 until 2014, the 72hour sell out rules were enforced to varying degrees.  Stadium size was one of the issues that tested those rules, and new stadiums like the Silverdome (80,000) brought that about.  Pre 1973, regular season home games were not broadcast.  I know this is hard to believe, but once upon a time the NFL actually gave priority to those people paying to see the games.  TV broadcasts were not the large source of revenue they are today.  This might be a good time to mention, "Heidi", but I'm not going there!  

Now you guys have forced me into defending these sad sacks.  Who was the first NFC wild card team in 1970, the year of the merger?  The Detroit Lions.  We had a very good young team.  Heisman winner Steve Owens, Lem Barney, Hall of Famer Charlie Sanders, even Karras was still contributing.  We went 10-4 and lost to Dallas 5-0 in the divisional round, with our young quarterback, Greg Landry, famously throwing up on the sidelines before and during the game from nerves. There was no wild card round, only 4 teams made the playoffs from each league.  So coming into the 1971 season, the Lions had high expectations.  Things quickly fell apart after Hughes death. As Green Bay rules the NFC North now, Minnesota ruled the Central then.  My teenage years were spent watching the Lions lose 14 in a row to the Vikings.  I abhorred Fran Tarkenton just like I abhor Aaron Rodgers today.   

I knew Rams fans in the 1970s that had nightmares about Fran Tarkenton and the Vikings.

2 minutes ago, Strider said:

I knew Rams fans in the 1970s that had nightmares about Fran Tarkenton and the Vikings.

You must be referring to that game in the pouring rain when the Rams were huge favorites and lost, I believe Pat Haden was the QB?  Vince Ferregamo of course played very well in 1975 vs the Steelers who sucked out in my opinion converting that 3rd and a mile to Stalworth.  I believe Elmendorf made the tackle.  Cromwell was on that team.  

Maybe third time is the charm Bongman.  We had them beat and then 13 seconds came like Music City.  The Bills should not have to play at KC.  We beat them there in regular season.  Actually last two.  And they do not deserve the bye either.  I think the leauge may be waiting to see the outcome of the games between the Bills and NE and KC vs Raiders?  If the Raiders play like they did vs SF who knows?  I hope they win but would rather KC were playing many other teams. 

7 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

You must be referring to that game in the pouring rain when the Rams were huge favorites and lost, I believe Pat Haden was the QB?  Vince Ferregamo of course played very well in 1975 vs the Steelers who sucked out in my opinion converting that 3rd and a mile to Stalworth.  I believe Elmendorf made the tackle.  Cromwell was on that team.  

Maybe third time is the charm Bongman.  We had them beat and then 13 seconds came like Music City.  The Bills should not have to play at KC.  We beat them there in regular season.  Actually last two.  And they do not deserve the bye either.  I think the leauge may be waiting to see the outcome of the games between the Bills and NE and KC vs Raiders?  If the Raiders play like they did vs SF who knows?  I hope they win but would rather KC were playing many other teams. 

That game was just the final nail in the coffin. Before that, the Rams would usually have to go to Minnesota in the snow and fail in the playoffs...often on a missed or blocked kick. But in the 1977 season, the Rams finally got to have the Vikings come to L.A. for the playoffs and what do you know, it rained and turned the field into muddy soup. I hated the Rams and always laughed at their misfortune. Plus, Chuck Knox was so boring and unimaginative in his schemes. He made Woody Hayes look like Dan Coryell.

And, Rick, it was the 1979 season when the Vince Ferragamo-Rams lost to the Steelers in the Super Bowl. The last of the Bradshaw-Noll era Steelers four Super Bowl wins.

42 minutes ago, Strider said:

That game was just the final nail in the coffin. Before that, the Rams would usually have to go to Minnesota in the snow and fail in the playoffs...often on a missed or blocked kick. But in the 1977 season, the Rams finally got to have the Vikings come to L.A. for the playoffs and what do you know, it rained and turned the field into muddy soup. I hated the Rams and always laughed at their misfortune. Plus, Chuck Knox was so boring and unimaginative in his schemes. He made Woody Hayes look like Dan Coryell.

And, Rick, it was the 1979 season when the Vince Ferragamo-Rams lost to the Steelers in the Super Bowl. The last of the Bradshaw-Noll era Steelers four Super Bowl wins.

Yeah, its tough though remember what I did 5 minutes ago.  I remember all those games though,  I went to a pre season game when Knox coached Rams and they had John Hadl.  Harold Jackson   Speedy receiver like Bambi (Lance Alworth), and OJ played for Bills and ran all over them.  We hit Young street in Toronto after the game.  Crazy

So I'm reading this Hamlin fellow is showing good signs, conscious and interacting. I didn't see the collision, but heard it wasn't unusually brutal. There's discussion on my Giants board about an increase in various athletes' cardiac occurrences these last 2 years, and documentation of that in young males who were vaccinated.

2 hours ago, Walter said:

Another thread with misinformation. Great. :rolleyes: 

I don't recall how many years ago I had stopped posting on this forum, but looks like someone hasn't missed a beat on hounding me. No mystery as to why this place became a ghost town, but I tried to give it a second chance...

so nfl came up with their plan and don't care for it, so no re make of bills/ Bengals game, if Bills and Chiefs both win then Chiefs will get 1 seed and bye week 1, if both lose and Bengals win all 3  have same record then tie breakers take effect and if  they meet in afc championship then game will be played in neutral site rendering all teams work since training camp won't matter, so in one regard a neutral site can be called fair but believe Bills could be biggest loser here especially since they beat kc head to head as did Cincy but are being penalized for playing 1 fewer game, I proposed few days back on pick em pool they still could play Bills/ Cincy on wildcard weekend and delay playoffs for that first week, only if this weeks results dictated for playoff seeding that game must be played, start wildcard 1 week later and instead of 2 weeks break before super bowl we would only have 1 week and perhaps a more competitive super Bowl, wonder if players union had a big say in all this? anyways good news is Bills player is coming around, cheers

Given the circumstances, this is about the best they could do. TV, travel, etc. dictate what the options are. It's not a simple as just playing a game, when you're the biggest professional sports league in the world.

The Bills get a potential title game at neutral site, which is fair.  Unfair they get a bye.  I did not hear the bye part anywhere bit here so Ill wait for confirmation on that horse shit.  There should be no bye for them.  Bills and Cincinnati both beat them.  The rest I can live with

1 minute ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

The Bills get a potential title game at neutral site, which is fair.  Unfair they get a bye.  I did not hear the bye part anywhere bit here so Ill wait for confirmation on that horse shit.  There should be no bye for them.  Bills and Cincinnati both beat them.  The rest I can live with

You will hear my teeth gnashing if the Seahwaks make the playoffs. 

I'm wondering if anyone has heard if fans get a refund for the Cincy-Bills game.   This is new ground for the NFL, so if you cancel a game, even though it started, do fans get their money back?

So amazing the stories about Hamlin's progress.   Cardiac arrest survival numbers are horrible:  25 percent survive if resuscitated in 3 minutes, after 3 minutes it falls to 5 percent.  He is one very lucky man to have had all the medical staff and their knowledge.

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I know it’s not a bye, but only playing 6 minutes of a 60 min game is as close to a physical bye as you can get. That’s at least some consolation.  Rick, your team just might do it for Hamlin. This might be the extra edge for Buffalo to make a Super Bowl winning run. So glad he has made the progress he has this week. Prayers answered. 

On 1/5/2023 at 7:29 PM, jimmie ray said:

I don't recall how many years ago I had stopped posting on this forum, but looks like someone hasn't missed a beat on hounding me. No mystery as to why this place became a ghost town, but I tried to give it a second chance...

Hounding you? Seriously.

Bye Felecia 

14 hours ago, Walter said:

I know it’s not a bye, but only playing 6 minutes of a 60 min game is as close to a physical bye as you can get. That’s at least some consolation.  Rick, your team just might do it for Hamlin. This might be the extra edge for Buffalo to make a Super Bowl winning run. So glad he has made the progress he has this week. Prayers answered. 

I hope they win one before I leave this place for good. The Sabres are also getting very good. Youngest team in the NHL, and they lead the NHL in goals.  They are coming. They have this kid Tage Thompson and Tuch from the Eichel trade.  I have his brand new jersey, never worn.  Sucks. Of course the Blues are my 2nd fav in hockey and finally won.  I never thought about the bye the way you just described it. I guess that is like a regular season bye.  They need to get their minds in the game, go out and give Billy boy another proper beat down and get on with it. 

The Detroit Lions just might wind up being the best money line value play of all time.?  I am taking them. Only how cold it gets worries me.  Green Bay still sucks

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

On 1/6/2023 at 7:19 PM, Walter said:

The big point also Walter is we will have to win 3 games to reach SB while KC gets to play only 2.  We should be bitching louder than Cincy.  Thank God and the techs for saving the kids life , and the league punish’s Bills and Cincy!  Its total shit.