2022 NFL Thread

Walter

Has San Diego announced that their coach has been fired yet. That monumental collapse has to be up their with the Oilers/Bills game and the obvious choke by Atlanta vs. Pats. Actually, I'm trying to hold back on any savage comments about Matty Ice this time. It really must be tough on the old ego, when statistically you've been party to the biggest choke jobs in NFL history--playoffs and regular season. I actually feel sorry for Matt Ryan now...

Btw Rick, whenever you read this, can you remember the halftime score when Houston completely gagged against the Bills lead by Frank Reich . I think it was 28-3, somewhere near that number, I just can't recall the exact score...

2 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

Considering his recent lack of success in crypto investing, he could probably use some free tickets to anything.

I feel for Dallas' kicker.  He's lucky it wasn't a close game.  Lol, imagine if he had to make a game winning kick of 40yards.  Last time I saw that much kicking ineptitude was in High School.  The NFL actually supports a winning playoff team getting only 5 days rest?  How absurd.

the 5 days rest is a huge issue and 2 guys went down with injuries so thats a big negative but the flip side is Dak doesn't have time to dwell on his 1 great game and let it get to his head, no he's already reviewing scouts film on 49ers, at least nfl gave them the last game slot, how kind, game will need field goals to win so hopefully he gets his shit together

4 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Has San Diego announced that their coach has been fired yet. That monumental collapse has to be up their with the Oilers/Bills game and the obvious choke by Atlanta vs. Pats. Actually, I'm trying to hold back on any savage comments about Matty Ice this time. It really must be tough on the old ego, when statistically you've been party to the biggest choke jobs in NFL history--playoffs and regular season. I actually feel sorry for Matt Ryan now...

Btw Rick, whenever you read this, can you remember the halftime score when Houston completely gagged against the Bills lead by Frank Reich . I think it was 28-3, somewhere near that number, I just can't recall the exact score...

It was 28-3 Oilers at halftime. Then the Oilers scored another touchdown on a pick-six off Frank Reich in the third quarter to go up 35-3 about 2 minutes into the quarter. So there were about 28 minutes of game time left for the Bills to mount their comeback.

Edited by Strider

7 hours ago, custard pie man said:

Brady is laughing his ass off, by unretiring he got rid of his wife, now he is free to go to Raiders for 1 season and reunite with his Pats offensive coach and make about  50-60 million and get to see all the ufc fights in Vegas for free 😁

And hang out in the hot tub with Jane Fonda, Sally Field, and Lily Tomlin.

Hey custard pie man and Walter, if the football gods had come to you before the season and offered you a guarantee that Dallas would play a Divisional-round playoff game against San Francisco's third-string quarterback, you would have taken that gladly, right?

Edited by Strider

4 hours ago, Strider said:

Hey custard pie man and Walter, if the football gods had come to you before the season and offered you a guarantee that Dallas would play a Divisional-round playoff game against San Francisco's third-string quarterback, you would have taken that gladly, right?

Yup. That SF roster is unbeatable, until you look at qb. In Micah I trust!! 

14 hours ago, Walter said:

Yup. That SF roster is unbeatable, until you look at qb. In Micah I trust!! 

well we need dak to play like last game not like Dak since his return from injury, we need kicker to get his shit together and we need a strong, very strong run game from zeke and Pollard, 12 carries each and maybe 4-5 screens to Pollard and maybe he breaks 1 or 2,  defense will have to knock qb around but who do they key on McCafferty or Samuel?

Cowboys add Brett Maher insurance, sign kicker Tristan Vizcaino to practice squad (dallasnews.com)

Maher could end up with worse nightmares than Norwood. To miss 5 kicks in a row in NFL play without resulting in a loss is ironically pretty lucky.

If Dak could play like that every game, he might come close to earning his money.

8 hours ago, Strider said:

One of the previous 8 times that Dallas and San Francisco have faced each other in the playoffs. Vin Scully and Hank Stram call the game.

Vin Scully and Hank Stram?  I might remember that.  I know I saw it. Saw them all.  Your video is blocked. Might this be "the Catch" game?  Montana to Clark?    Many a classic.  My only worry with SF is this young punk they have at QB choking in the moment but so far so good.  I expect Dak to have far more trouble in this game as their defense is far better than Tampa's.  Prisco of CBS who I respect, picks the Cowboys to pull the upset and the other three favorites to survive tough fights.  Has my Bills winning but not covering.  But Marco D" Angelo, my most respected Vegas capper, picks Bills by double digits.  Likes the Giants to cover and the game under.  Kelly Stewart also likes the Bills.  Nobody is picking Jacksonville.  To me their only chance lies with their beastly defensive line with the other Josh Allen.   Along with Eagles might be two best defensive lines left.  SF and Buffalo are good too.  Giants no.  KC no.  KC defense is shit so Jax must score often, and their defensive line MUST pressure and sack Mahomes.  One of the trends and angles guys thinks Eagles blow out Giants.  Points out that other than Minnesota, GIANTS HAVE BEATEN NOBODY.  Toughest game to pick straight up?  No doubt Dallas at SF if only due to this Purdy guy.  We are about to find out what he is made of.  Dallas is going to come for him.  Parsons will come for him and Shanahan will no doubt double up Parsons. Someone else on Dallas must help him or long day. I believe Christian McCaffery is the difference maker.   So based on that all in trade by SF, I like them.  I still think Dallas lacks the depth to go as deep as some of the other teams.  Offensively the Bills and KC are better than anyone in the NFC.  SF and Philly have very good defenses.   Jacksonville has a monster of a defensive line.  But once you neutralize them, its lights out. Trevor Lawrence?  4 picks in the first half and he lives to see another game?  Unreal.  So get off Josh Allens's back for two lucky picks by the Dolphins.  Miami would give the rest of this field a tough time anyway.  GO BILLS!!!!!!   I hope its our year even though we lose Von Miller. 

On 1/17/2023 at 11:28 AM, paul carruthers said:

It was 38-3 early in the third quarter.  Un fucking real.  Half the stadium empty.  That game not only got Pardee and his entire staff fired, it lead to the end of the Houston Oilers as a franchise.  Warren Moon was their QB.  Of course it was followed by the nightmare in Pasadena.  9 turnovers and the  only good highlight was Don Beebe taking care of Leon Lett on that showboat return.  If Thurman scores on the 1 yard line instead of inches short I think its a different game.  Bills were up 7-0. and then down 14-7 when that happened. then Kelly throws a pick from the 5 yard line of Dallas and the ensuing avalanche did us in.  We had them in that rematch also. Screwed that up also.  This is  better Bills team although no RB as good as Thomas and no pass rusher in Bruce Smith's league. But better secondary, better offense and Josh freakin Allen who Kelly says, " will break all my records."  

9 hours ago, Strider said:

One of the previous 8 times that Dallas and San Francisco have faced each other in the playoffs. Vin Scully and Hank Stram call the game.

the "catch" game was brutal, I was at a bar where everyone seemed to hate  Dallas and almost threw a punch lol, couple things about that game that most  won't remember, Tony Dorsett early in first quarter got a finger in his eye and sat on sidelines with a bag of ice and missed rest of half but in 2nd half ran wild  for almost 100 yards and had couple screens and after the catch and with about a minute left White hit 88 Pearson crossing mid field and only a yank on back of jersey and shoulder pads  brought him down and saved a touch down, of course illegall today but not then, next play believe White fumbled in pocket and game over, 3 straight years after  # 12 retired and  we lost in championship game, damn wish Rodger didn't want to become a billionaire in real estate and played 3 more years lol

32 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

It was 38-3 early in the third quarter.  Un fucking real.  Half the stadium empty.  That game not only got Pardee and his entire staff fired, it lead to the end of the Houston Oilers as a franchise.  Warren Moon was their QB.  Of course it was followed by the nightmare in Pasadena.  9 turnovers and the  only good highlight was Don Beebe taking care of Leon Lett on that showboat return.  If Thurman scores on the 1 yard line instead of inches short I think its a different game.  Bills were up 7-0. and then down 14-7 when that happened. then Kelly throws a pick from the 5 yard line of Dallas and the ensuing avalanche did us in.  We had them in that rematch also. Screwed that up also.  This is  better Bills team although no RB as good as Thomas and no pass rusher in Bruce Smith's league. But better secondary, better offense and Josh freakin Allen who Kelly says, " will break all my records."  

records are meant to be broken and different eras mean records are meaningless and now lets throw in another game to the season, what Unitas did in his day and Tarkenton did in his  is amazing when you consider defensive lineman could slap the helments of offensive lineman and dump qb on his head, defensive backs roughed up receivers and knocked the crap out of them, believe their passing records are much more impressive than what Brees or Brady ever did or Mahommes or Allen will do, just unfair to compare , the game has changed so much

6 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

It was 35-3, not 38-3. Houston added that field goal in the fourth quarter after Buffalo had started their comeback with in 35 unanswered points in the second half to take the lead 38-35. Houston's field goal tied it at 38-38 and sent the game in to overtime. We all know the rest of the story.

6 hours ago, custard pie man said:

the "catch" game was brutal, I was at a bar where everyone seemed to hate  Dallas and almost threw a punch lol, couple things about that game that most  won't remember, Tony Dorsett early in first quarter got a finger in his eye and sat on sidelines with a bag of ice and missed rest of half but in 2nd half ran wild  for almost 100 yards and had couple screens and after the catch and with about a minute left White hit 88 Pearson crossing mid field and only a yank on back of jersey and shoulder pads  brought him down and saved a touch down, of course illegall today but not then, next play believe White fumbled in pocket and game over, 3 straight years after  # 12 retired and  we lost in championship game, damn wish Rodger didn't want to become a billionaire in real estate and played 3 more years lol

Exactly. If all you know about "The Catch" game is the highlight reel, then you don't really know the game at all. San Francisco had 6 turnovers (Montana threw 3 INTs) but Dallas could not take full advantage of them and so, instead of the Cowboys being up 17, 21, or even 28 points, the score remained relatively low and within one possession for either team.

Montana looks like he was just trying to throw the ball away on the third down play so they could go for it again on fourth down. But Clark came out of nowhere and jumped higher than he had ever jumped before to make that grab by his fingertips.

There were still 51 seconds left for Dallas to move into field goal range. Danny White almost became the hero when he threw a dart to Drew Pearson and only a game-saving horse-collar tackle by 49er cornerback Eric Wright (Wright and rookie Ronnie Lott were the cornerbacks for the 49ers in this game) saved Pearson from scoring. On the next play, with Dallas needing only 15 yards to get in Septien's range, Danny White was hit and fumbled the ball and San Francisco recovered. Game over. San Francisco and Joe Montana's legend rose throughout the 1980s and the Dallas descent began as the Redskins and Giants took over the NFC East.

This game also featured my favourite NFL ref as head referee, Jim Tunney.

12 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Your video is blocked.

If you click on the "Watch on YouTube" line, you can watch it on YouTube.  You just can't watch it in this website because they want to get the clicks, or something like that.  So it's not totally blocked. 

16 hours ago, custard pie man said:

records are meant to be broken and different eras mean records are meaningless and now lets throw in another game to the season, what Unitas did in his day and Tarkenton did in his  is amazing when you consider defensive lineman could slap the helments of offensive lineman and dump qb on his head, defensive backs roughed up receivers and knocked the crap out of them, believe their passing records are much more impressive than what Brees or Brady ever did or Mahommes or Allen will do, just unfair to compare , the game has changed so much

Yeah, I'd like to see these prima donna receivers play in the days of Jack Tatum, Charlie Waters, and Ronnie Lott.

On 1/20/2023 at 12:10 PM, Strider said:

Exactly. If all you know about "The Catch" game is the highlight reel, then you don't really know the game at all. San Francisco had 6 turnovers (Montana threw 3 INTs) but Dallas could not take full advantage of them and so, instead of the Cowboys being up 17, 21, or even 28 points, the score remained relatively low and within one possession for either team.

Montana looks like he was just trying to throw the ball away on the third down play so they could go for it again on fourth down. But Clark came out of nowhere and jumped higher than he had ever jumped before to make that grab by his fingertips.

There were still 51 seconds left for Dallas to move into field goal range. Danny White almost became the hero when he threw a dart to Drew Pearson and only a game-saving horse-collar tackle by 49er cornerback Eric Wright (Wright and rookie Ronnie Lott were the cornerbacks for the 49ers in this game) saved Pearson from scoring. On the next play, with Dallas needing only 15 yards to get in Septien's range, Danny White was hit and fumbled the ball and San Francisco recovered. Game over. San Francisco and Joe Montana's legend rose throughout the 1980s and the Dallas descent began as the Redskins and Giants took over the NFC East.

This game also featured my favourite NFL ref as head referee, Jim Tunney.

We thought the game was lost and a repeat of the Kezar loss to Dallas 10 years or so before. It was sweet revenge when Clark caught the pass. Still can't believe that Clark has passed on.