Jimmy Page at Hay Festival - June 2022

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

hayf.jpg

Scarlett Sabet and Jimmy Page talk to Dylan Jones
Catalyst
Wednesday 1 June 2022, 7pm
Llwyfan Cymru – Wales Stage

Catalyst is a radical spoken word album produced by Jimmy Page, featuring poetry written and performed by Scarlett Sabet, creating a powerful, and arresting sonic landscape. “Catalyst is a sonic manifestation of Jimmy’s innovation, our time together and spirit.”– Scarlett Sabet. “I believed that the poems featured here could display a new dimension to the spoken word, her spoken word and her genius.” – Jimmy Page.
Price: £10.00

https://www.hayfestival.com/p-19212-scarlett-sabet-and-jimmy-page-talk-to-dylan-jones.aspx

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jimmy Page talks to Dylan Jones
The Anthology
Thursday 2 June 2022, 4pm
Baillie Gifford Stage

From his early days as a young session musician, through his years on the world stage with Led Zeppelin, to his solo work and collaborations, Jimmy Page has lived a spectacular life in music. Throughout it all, he has amassed an extensive private archive of iconic guitars, stage costumes and personal memorabilia. In Jimmy Page: The Anthology he grants exclusive access to his archive for the first time. He tells the inside story of his phenomenal career to journalist and author Dylan Jones.
Price: £12.00

https://www.hayfestival.com/p-19246-jimmy-page-talks-to-dylan-jones.aspx

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bzjpjc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/jun/02/led-zeppelin-were-asked-to-do-abba-style-avatar-act-jimmy-page-says

Led Zeppelin were asked to do Abba-style avatar act, Jimmy Page says

Guitarist says band was approached well before talk of Abba shows but he and surviving bandmates couldn’t agree

Led Zeppelin were approached with the idea of doing an Abba-style avatar act, guitarist Jimmy Page has disclosed.

Well before there was talk of the Swedish pop group’s Voyage concert, the rock band was asked to do “that sort of thing”, Page told an audience at the Hay festival.

However, the musician and music producer said that he and his two surviving bandmates, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones, couldn’t agree, so the project “didn’t really get moving”.

Page said he didn’t think a virtual tour would work for his former band the Yardbirds, but indicated that he thought it might for Led Zeppelin.

He also spoke positively about Elvis Presley’s hologram performance. “I bet that was good, but I didn’t see it”, the 78-year-old said.
Yellow Zeppelin, Unknown. 1969, Europe
Whole lotta rarities: the strangest Led Zeppelin artwork – in pictures
Read more

The Abba show appears poised to be a critical and commercial smash for the band, highlighting the appetite of fans to still enjoy their musical heroes, even in computerised form. The show in London is to run seven times a week until December and the Guardian’s music critic Alexis Petridis described it as “genuinely jaw-dropping … any lingering sense that you’re not actually in the presence of Abba has dissolved.”

But Page admitted to having mixed opinions towards technology’s increasing involvement in music. Music videos, he said, “shut down” the wide variety of music styles that had been emerging, encouraging bands to assimilate to a model that worked well for videos.

However, he praised the way that computers allowed young people to create home studios to make music and “stick it on the internet.” He spoke of a “really exciting” band he had met in Brighton, who had found success in Vietnam. After a song they put on the internet got picked up and used in an advert in south-east Asia, this band gained popularity in that region, showing, Page said, that “it does work!”

While Page is clearly interested in the ways technology can be useful to bands, the “communion of musicians” that is achieved through live performance is essential, he said. Performing the same songs again and again was why he was a successful studio musician, he said, “because I can keep coming up with spontaneous style”.

pics from Twitter

jp0002.jpg

jp003.jpg

On 6/3/2022 at 11:11 AM, zeplz71 said:

Led Zeppelin were asked to do Abba-style avatar act, Jimmy Page says

Guitarist says band was approached well before talk of Abba shows but he and surviving bandmates couldn’t agree

Led Zeppelin were approached with the idea of doing an Abba-style avatar act, guitarist Jimmy Page has disclosed.

Well before there was talk of the Swedish pop group’s Voyage concert, the rock band was asked to do “that sort of thing”, Page told an audience at the Hay festival.

However, the musician and music producer said that he and his two surviving bandmates, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones, couldn’t agree, so the project “didn’t really get moving”.

This is the first time that I am really happy that Plant and/or Jones reject a project.

I am not sure if Jimmy is aware of the fact that while the Abba voices at the Avatar shows are from the archives there is acually a band playing live behind the curtains.

This concept may work for the music of Abba, but IMO it could never work for bands like Led Zeppelin. Are there musicians who are capable to deliver satisfactory results?  I don´t think so.

3 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

This is the first time that I am really happy that Plant and/or Jones reject a project.

I am not sure if Jimmy is aware of the fact that while the Abba voices at the Avatar shows are from the archives there is acually a band playing live behind the curtains.

This concept may work for the music of Abba, but IMO it could never work for bands like Led Zeppelin. Are there musicians who are capable to deliver satisfactory results?  I don´t think so.

Given how closely JP monitors all things Led Zeppelin, I doubt his considering the ABBA-type project would include a sub-standard live band performing behind the curtains.  

On 6/10/2022 at 2:11 AM, reids said:

Yep. I guess we now know what he intended when he said “being seen playing the guitar”...(the now scrapped hologram Led Zeppelin Experience). 

R😎

Oh, he's been consistently suggesting "a return to the guitar" as far back as 2007...15 years ago!