The Tiger Woods Open

chillumpuffer

It's that time again as Augusta throws open it's doors for the usual Tiger Woods Open.

I am fed up with the endless fan drool over a 46 old has been golfer. No doubt the man was an icon, but seriously at 46? The coverage (in the UK) has been about Woods and only Woods. Will he play? Can he play? Can he walk for 72 holes? Assuming of course he makes the cut. The PGA of course will bend the rules (again) so Woods will be there on Sunday. I even heard that the crowds would be a quarter down if the man doesn't play. It's not about one player. I feel a bit sorry for all the other players who have qualified and would love to win the Green Jacket. 

I hope it back fires and the man cards a 90. Even if he doesn't perform well he has a myriad of excuses why. Legs, back, lack of practice.... on and on 

I generally look forward to The Masters, but not this year. In fact I doubt we will even tune in.

They focus on him so much because he is still far and away the most famous golfer in the world. He was well known in his prime even by people who knew nothing about golf, and then his life turned into a tabloid headline. Also, part of it is the reality that there's no other player who is nearly as well known as him to the casual golf fan that they can use to hype the tournament instead. Below is the list of current top eight golfers. I like golf and watch it a lot, but these guys are eight shades of boring. DJ is probably the only one known outside of the golf world, at least in the US, and that's because he had his own tabloid moment. The good news is that golf broadcasts tend to focus just on the people at the top of the leader board once the tournament starts. Assuming Tiger drops off quickly given his lack of recent playing time and his admission that walking 18 holes is going to be difficult for him, the broadcasters will likely stop focusing on him by Friday.

• Scottie Scheffler
  • Jon Rahm
  • Collin Morikawa
  • Viktor Hovland
  • Patrick Cantlay
  • Cameron Smith
  • Justin Thomas
  • Dustin Johnson
Edited by SteveZ98

18 minutes ago, SteveZ98 said:

They focus on him so much because he is far and away the most famous golfer in the world. He was well known in his prime even by people who knew nothing about golf, and then his life turned into a tabloid headline. Also, part of it is the reality that there's no other player who is nearly as well known as him to the non-golf fan. Below is the list of current top eight golfers. I like golf and watch it a lot, but these guys are eight shades of boring off the course. DJ is probably the only one known outside of the golf world, at least in the US, and that's because he had his own tabloid moment. The good news is that golf broadcasts tend to focus just on the people at the top of the leader board once the tournament starts. Assuming Tiger drops off quickly given his lack of recent playing time and his admission that walking 18 holes is going to be difficult for him because of his right leg issues, the broadcasters will likely stop focusing on him by Friday.

• Scottie Scheffler
  • Jon Rahm
  • Collin Morikawa
  • Viktor Hovland
  • Patrick Cantlay
  • Cameron Smith
  • Justin Thomas
  • Dustin Johnson

See you don't mention another perennial let down that is Rory? My tip, for what it's worth is Viktor Hovland. 

Whilst I do understand that Woods is THE most famous Golfer it doesn't excuse the over hype and arse licking media coverage. Point in question:

Listening to the radio, the guy says there is a weather delay. Heavy thunderstorm and this means that Tiger won't tee off until 4.00pm (BST). No mention of anyone else

Tuning in to the TV: It's been on for 15 minutes and ALL the talk is Woods. It may as well be Woods and the others regardless of who's number 1 or who is favourite. Guess what? There still going on about him. Funny they don't mention the blatant cheat he did when he dropped it from an incorrect point. 2 shot penalty, which he didn't put on his card, which he signed for. Anywhere in the world that would have meant a DQ as he signed for an incorrect score. Oh no not at The Masters that would never do. The US PGA glossed over the Rules of Golf ( set by the R&A)to suit them and Woods. Many golfers remember that, though not that many over there.

Edit to add: 30 minutes later and they are still going on about him. Butch Harman.  Fucking hell man, give it a rest 

Edited by chillumpuffer

My tip, for what it's worth is Viktor Hovland. 

He's been my guy for a while now.  The problem is he hasn't yet demonstrated that he has the mental tools to close out a major tournament. 

I recovered from a broken kneecap, but it took 2 years to be what I would call normal again.  That Tiger is even walking un-aided at this point is quite a feat, so I can't take that away from him.  I'd be very surprised if he survives the cut.  I think it would be nice to have an unknown step up and surprise this week.  I also hope for a clean tournament without incident.  These are strange days.  People from all walks of life are a bit tense.  No brawls on the greens or club assaults please, and I hope the crowd behaves itself.    

37 minutes ago, Bong-Man said:

He's been my guy for a while now.  The problem is he hasn't yet demonstrated that he has the mental tools to close out a major tournament. 

I recovered from a broken kneecap, but it took 2 years to be what I would call normal again.  That Tiger is even walking un-aided at this point is quite a feat, so I can't take that away from him.  I'd be very surprised if he survives the cut.  I think it would be nice to have an unknown step up and surprise this week.  I also hope for a clean tournament without incident.  These are strange days.  People from all walks of life are a bit tense.  No brawls on the greens or club assaults please, and I hope the crowd behaves itself.    

A Patella BM? Me too. We should post our scars:D. I did mine about 20 odd years ago and my right thigh muscle is still smaller than my left. My it was painful.

I hear what you say about Viktor. Maybe this time he can close one out? Justin Thomas is another to watch?

Now forgive me and I do not wish to tar everyone with the same brush stateside, but I will not accept the absolute bullshit that twat Harmen comes out with. Say these things if you wish on a US channel but not on the UK feed.

Roughly: " Gosh you can only get excited looking at this, arguably, the greatest Golf course in the world Now I Love The Open, and not dumbing it down, but The Masters is the greatest tournament in Golf because it's played here"

Sorry Pal but that is just plain bollocks. The Old Course at St Andrews??? The Champion Golfer of the year? The home of Golf? Is it the shit weather you don't like? Is it a Links course you don't like or rather would you play a Tournament on the same course year after year. A course so up it's own arse that, unlike all courses here, you can only play if you are invited, and it shuts for most of the year.

Oh and the TV coverage here? Countdown to Woods teeing off. Tee minus 60 mins.

ETA: Still going on about him. He's on the range now

Edited by chillumpuffer

10 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

A Patella BM? Me too. We should post our scars:D. I did mine about 20 odd years ago and my right thigh muscle is still smaller than my left. My it was painful.

I hear what you say about Viktor. Maybe this time he can close one out? Justin Thomas is another to watch?

Now forgive me and I do not wish to tar everyone with the same brush stateside, but I will not accept the absolute bullshit that twat Harmen comes out with. Say these things if you wish on a US channel but not on the UK feed.

Roughly: " Gosh you can only get excited looking at this, arguably, the greatest Golf course in the world Now I Love The Open, and not dumbing it down, but The Masters is the greatest tournament in Golf because it's played here"

Sorry Pal but that is just plain bollocks. The Old Course at St Andrews??? The Champion Golfer of the year? The home of Golf? Is it the shit weather you don't like? Is it a Links course you don't like or rather would you play a Tournament on the same course year after year. A course so up it's on arse that, unlike all courses here, you can only play if you are invited, and it shuts for most of the year.

Oh and the TV coverage here? Countdown to Woods teeing off. Tee minus 60 mins

Damn.....I went through the same.  My lower right thigh above the knee still has about an inch and a half deficit.  I don't have any scars, but they left what looks like a dry-wall screw in there permanently.  As my Doctor said, "There's a reason the mafia likes to break kneecaps".  That's no lie.

When you're a Yank from the great white North, where the tulips are still struggling to break the frozen ground, seeing Augusta is a lot like Baseball's Opening Day.  It may be 45 out, but a change is surely coming.  Mom, who never golfed in her life, used to watch just to see the azaleas in bloom. 

19 minutes ago, Bong-Man said:

Damn.....I went through the same.  My lower right thigh above the knee still has about an inch and a half deficit.  I don't have any scars, but they left what looks like a dry-wall screw in there permanently.  As my Doctor said, "There's a reason the mafia likes to break kneecaps".  That's no lie.

When you're a Yank from the great white North, where the tulips are still struggling to break the frozen ground, seeing Augusta is a lot like Baseball's Opening Day.  It may be 45 out, but a change is surely coming.  Mom, who never golfed in her life, used to watch just to see the azaleas in bloom. 

My surgeon did a pioneering operation in which a coil was inserted and the cap re grew over it. I think. I have a scar right over the knee which, in the summer on the course, gets a good shufty from other players. The hardest part of the whole thing was the Physio after. I hadn't bent the knee for a few months ( it was in a splint) and the first day of Physio the girl (who was fit as a butchers dog) bent it right back. Fortunately she told me to bury my head in the pillow as my language was a bit choice. It took a while before I could get on a cycle. I do feel it from time to time. Always reminds me never to get on a motorbike:D

Talking of blooms. Got 3 Nepal/Jam x Kali China 6 weeks off finishing in the tent. 60% Sativa/40% Indica. Should be a good summer? ;)

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

My surgeon did a pioneering operation in which a coil was inserted and the cap re grew over it. I think. I have a scar right over the knee which, in the summer on the course, gets a good shufty from other players. The hardest part of the whole thing was the Physio after. I hadn't bent the knee for a few months ( it was in a splint) and the first day of Physio the girl (who was fit as a butchers dog) bent it right back. Fortunately she told me to bury my head in the pillow as my language was a bit choice. It took a while before I could get on a cycle. I do feel it from time to time. Always reminds me never to get on a motorbike:D

Talking of blooms. Got 3 Nepal/Jam x Kali China 6 weeks off finishing in the tent. 60% Sativa/40% Indica. Should be a good summer? ;)

The only time I ever feel anything is when I'm walking in sand or loose dirt.  I always feel some stiffness the next day.  Therapy was a trip.  I'm working my ass off with a sadist, and about 10 feet away was the rehab table for carpal tunnel.  People picking up pennies one at a time and moving beads across a frickin' wire.  Not trying to make light of their affliction, but it seemed a bit unfair at the time.

Legal prices here are dropping like a stone.  Saw $3 dollar grams advertised the other day, and not bad stuff either.  5 grams of concentrate for $100 bucks.  10 piece edibles for $8-10 bucks.  I've pretty much quit drinking all together.  Never really agreed with me anyway.

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

Now you're talking!! :thumbsup: 

33 minutes ago, Walter said:

Now you're talking!! :thumbsup: 

Yes I've gone for a more "up" high. Sounds delish. Although all breeders say what they want. Uplifting, Cheery and happy with no Sativa Paranoia commonly associated with Sats. As I said got about 6 weeks to go or thereabouts. 2 weeks drying, a month curing - if I can wait that long:D. By the way they look should get about 250 gs or about 9 Zips. Just starting to get some fruit aromas and lovely looking specimens they are too. All this talk........ I'm off for an Indian spread, wine and joints. Got The Masters on record so I'll skip the ads and Butch Harman's bollocks commentary whilst we get ripped. Both off work tomorrow so a lie in is certainly in order. Hey Mrs CP get the papers out !!:hurrah:

:lol:  sounds delish! 

Love him or not, putting up 71 after everything he’s gone through physically and mentally over the past 14 months and not having played a competitive round since 11/2020 is fucking brilliant! 

Sorry CP, but Tiger Woods is the only golfer who moves the needle...plain and simple. And if you think the Tiger babble is bad now, just wait until Tiger hits St. Andrews this summer for the British Open.

On 4/7/2022 at 3:00 AM, SteveZ98 said:

They focus on him so much because he is still far and away the most famous golfer in the world. He was well known in his prime even by people who knew nothing about golf, and then his life turned into a tabloid headline. Also, part of it is the reality that there's no other player who is nearly as well known as him to the casual golf fan that they can use to hype the tournament instead. Below is the list of current top eight golfers. I like golf and watch it a lot, but these guys are eight shades of boring. DJ is probably the only one known outside of the golf world, at least in the US, and that's because he had his own tabloid moment. The good news is that golf broadcasts tend to focus just on the people at the top of the leader board once the tournament starts. Assuming Tiger drops off quickly given his lack of recent playing time and his admission that walking 18 holes is going to be difficult for him, the broadcasters will likely stop focusing on him by Friday.

• Scottie Scheffler
  • Jon Rahm
  • Collin Morikawa
  • Viktor Hovland
  • Patrick Cantlay
  • Cameron Smith
  • Justin Thomas
  • Dustin Johnson

Damn. What happened to all the guys that were supposed to supplant Tiger Woods...guys like Jordan Spieth, Rory IcIlroy, Brooks Koepka, Rickie Fowler, and Bryson DeChambeau?

Is Phil Mickelson even playing?

Edited by Strider

12 hours ago, Strider said:

Sorry CP, but Tiger Woods is the only golfer who moves the needle...plain and simple. And if you think the Tiger babble is bad now, just wait until Tiger hits St. Andrews this summer for The Open.

Damn. What happened to all the guys that were supposed to supplant Tiger Woods...guys like Jordan Spieth, Rory IcIlroy, Brooks Koepka, Rickie Fowler, and Bryson DeChambeau?

Is Phil Mickelson even playing?

Fixed that for you man. Doubt Tiger will play at St Andrews. It would be great of course. Not sure his body will do the wind and rain.

Mickleson? He's parking the car for The Saudis ;) Bryson? Only there for laughs. I bet he regrets saying Augusta? Par 67 for me.

Woods is a certainty for St Andrews . Augusta is the warm up . The Old Course is as flat as a pancake . A very easy walk . Distance off the tee is not a factor . It is all about the short game . He says his hands remain good . I think he fancies his chances . And historically the weather is not a factor . The sun usually beats down during Open week . Much to the annoyance of us locals who battle wind and rain daily . 

5 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Got to think it's Scheffler's Masters to throw away? Looking forward to the final showdown this evening. We are cheering for the Aussie  Cameron Smith - love an underdog even if has a mullet and a dodgy top lip :D

@Walter. Looking good there man 

Thanks brotha.
We’re pulling for Cameron Smith too. He looks eerily similar to my nephew. Just starting to watch now on delay so I can forward through commercials etc. Cheers!