Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

I've seen photos in which various members of Zep were wearing tour jackets ie,,..North America Tour 1975. Who were issued these jackets besides the band? Roadies, record execs,..were they given away by radio stations etc? Just curious.

I've seen photos in which various members of Zep were wearing tour jackets ie,,..North America Tour 1975. Who were issued these jackets besides the band? Roadies, record execs,..were they given away by radio stations etc? Just curious.

Great question! Peter Grant would never approve of something so "personal" being issued to outsiders (radio stations, etc). Certainly the four band members, Grant and Cole were issued jackets. I believe a limited number were also provided to crew members. So far as I know no jackets were issued before 1975.

Full length robes were designed and commissioned in 1980. John Bonham's (worn) was sold at auction many years ago. Robert's was sold in a Dick Clark charitible auction about a year or so ago.

I was once in contact with "Big Bob", who handled official merchandise sales for Jimmy's 1988 Outrider Tour. Apparently he was not included in the tour jacket allocation. When Jimmy was made aware of this Jimmy had another jacket commissioned by the original

manufacturer and personally presented it to Bob backstage in Syracuse as a gift. That

jacket as well as some of Bob's personal effects from the tour are proudly preserved in my archive.

Edited by SteveAJones

Maybe you didn't read the part where I stated that Van Halen did not start playing clubs until 1974.

I agree it was inappropriate for her to keep spamming the thread with "maybe it was..." particularly in light of the contributions already posted, to include mine wherein I clearly outlined the probability of this meeting between Bonzo, Blackmore and Van Halen is confined to a few brief timeframes within the period of 1974-1977. I think I'm bound to myself to solve it now if only for sake of the aggravation encountered. Ever onward!

Maybe you didn't read the part where I stated that Van Halen did not start playing clubs until 1974.

Eddie Van Halen may have been making a general statement about the timeline for playing clubs.

Also, in 1974, just glancing at Reisner's site, there were no apparent shows by Led Zeppelin in Los Angeles.

In 1975, the Los Angeles concerts were in March, and Led Zeppelin was in England a few days before and after John Bonham's birthday.

In 1976, there was no apparent tour anywhere; this may have been the time when the band was recuperating from unforseen circumstances.

In 1977, Led Zeppelin was in North Carolina on John Bonham's birthday, and did not come to Los Angeles until the last week of June.

Therefore, 1973 makes the most sense.

I agree it was inappropriate for her to keep spamming the thread with "maybe it was..." particularly in light of the contributions already posted, to include mine wherein I clearly outlined the probability of this meeting between Bonzo, Blackmore and Van Halen is confined to a few brief timeframes within the period of 1974-1977. I think I'm bound to myself to solve it now if only for sake of the aggravation encountered. Ever onward!

:rolleyes: I will be happy to leave this thread if I am the only one being polite here.

Edited by eternal light

Eddie Van Halen may have been making a general statement about the timeline for playing clubs.

Also, in 1974, just glancing at Reisner's site, there were no apparent shows by Led Zeppelin in Los Angeles.

In 1975, the Los Angeles concerts were in March, and Led Zeppelin was in England a few days before and after John Bonham's birthday.

In 1976, there was no apparent tour anywhere; this may have been the time when the band was recuperating from unforseen circumstances.

In 1977, Led Zeppelin was in North Carolina on John Bonham's birthday, and did not come to Los Angeles until the last week of June.

Therefore, 1973 makes the most sense.

Your intent here is honorable but your logic is faulty. You seem to have gotten the idea Bonham's birthdate has something to do with the date Eddie Van Halen met him and Blackmore -- has nothing to do with it. It's completely irrelevent. Bonham had one birthday in L.A. -- his 21st -- and Blackmore wasn't there, let alone Eddie Van Halen.

Secondly, Reisner's site only provides performance dates, not public appearances, which

I've already gone to great lengths to outline. The West Coast launch of Swan Song was held in Los Angeles on May 13, 1974. They were already in town a few days first (they went to see Elvis at The Forum and met him at his hotel across the street...they were photographed in drag by BP Fallon at the Riot House and these images were used on the cover of Physical Graffiti) and probably for a few after.

If you scroll back you'll see the possibilities outlined from 1974-1977. I have already clarified at least three times now Eddie Van Halen said "we were playing clubs" at the time of the meeting. If we presume he meant Van Halen, the "classic" Van Halen line-up was not playing clubs in 1973 -- Michael Anthony didn't join the band until 1974.

Your intent here is honorable but your logic is faulty. You seem to have gotten the idea Bonham's birthdate has something to do with the date Eddie Van Halen met him and Blackmore -- has nothing to do with it. It's completely irrelevent. Bonham had one birthday in L.A. -- his 21st -- and Blackmore wasn't there, let alone Eddie Van Halen.

Secondly, Reisner's site only provides performance dates, not public appearances, which

I've already gone to great lengths to outline. The West Coast launch of Swan Song was held in Los Angeles on May 13, 1974. They were already in town a few days first (they went to see Elvis at The Forum and met him at his hotel across the street...they were photographed in drag by BP Fallon at the Riot House and these images were used on the cover of Physical Graffiti) and probably for a few after.

If you scroll back you'll see the possibilities outlined from 1974-1977. I have already clarified at least three times now Eddie Van Halen said "we were playing clubs" at the time of the meeting. If we presume he meant Van Halen, the "classic" Van Halen line-up was not playing clubs in 1973 -- Michael Anthony didn't join the band until 1974.

Apparently John Bonham was seen at the Rainbow on his birthday. Eddie Van Halen stated that he met John Bonham at the Rainbow; but if Blackmore was not there, then that part is solved.

Edited by eternal light

Apparently John Bonham was seen at the Rainbow on his birthday. Eddie Van Halen stated that he met John Bonham at the Rainbow; but if Blackmore was not there, then that part is solved.

Ritchie Blackmore was not there. He woke up the morning of May 31, 1973 in New York, having played The Felt Forum with Deep Purple the night before.

In the very early days of Van Halen, they played mostly backyards. Sometime in 1974 they were given a break by Bill Gazzarri and invited to perform at his club (Gazzari's) a few times a month. But even at this point they were not really "playing clubs" because Gazzari's was the only club willing to give them a shot. It really wasn't until early 1976 that they branched out into playing other venues in southern California.

David Lee Roth's website has a list of performance dates from their club days. While I would say that it's by no means reliable, it's certainly a good step. Cross-referencing with Steve's list as well as the Deep Purple Diary and Rainbow tourdates, here's what we get:

Circa May 9-11 1974 (no listed VH concerts from 4/15 to 5/15; Blackmore was in the U.K.)

Circa March 10-29 1975 (2 VH shows at Gazzari's but that's it; Blackmore was in Europe)

Circa Sept/Oct 1975 (a few VH shows at Gazzari's in early September but nothing from 9/15-10/30; unsure of Blackmore's whereabouts although he was in the U.S. in early November)

Circa Jan/Feb/Mar 1976 (some VH shows at Gazzari's in January, but nothing listed from 1/19-3/23; Blackmore was definitely in California on 3/23-3/24)

- by the way, there's actually a connection between The Runaways and Van Halen, as they both recorded the song "Young And Wild", and The Runaways' producer (Steven Tetsch) was the opening act for many VH club shows in 1976.

Circa May 22-23 1976 (no listed VH concerts from 5/19 to 5/28; unsure of Blackmore's whereabouts although he was in the U.S. in early June)

Circa Jun 15-27 1977 (no listed VH concerts from 6/12 to 7/13; Blackmore's whereabouts unknown)

So, you can eliminate the first 2 dates on Steve's list but any of the others could fit.

Edited by swandown

In the very early days of Van Halen, they played mostly backyards. Sometime in 1974 they were given a break by Bill Gazzarri and invited to perform at his club (Gazzari's) a few times a month. But even at this point they were not really "playing clubs" because Gazzari's was the only club willing to give them a shot. It really wasn't until early 1976 that they branched out into playing other venues in southern California.

People were playing Gazzarris too. The newest band on the scene were called "Van Halen" I saw them at the Starwood alot.

ezinearticles.com/The-Hollywood-Music-Scene-1975-1976

Swandown has splendidly narrowed the possibilities to Sept 1975 - June 1977. Eddie Van Halen was actively performing and ultimately recording in LA throughout this time so the focus shifts to Blackmore's whereabouts during this time.

I find the link to The Runaways interesting because they were among a few local acts Led Zeppelin specifically flew to Los Angeles to check out circa Jan-Mar 1976. It very well could have been March 23 or 24 1976, in which case we potentially have Bonham and Blackmore together at The Rainbow on The Sunset Strip. Eddie Van Halen simply approaches their table and voila -- the memory he mentioned in 1979 was made.

Swandown...your posts were very meticulous and amazing as always.

Edited by SteveAJones

I worked for VanHalen from 75-78. If Ed had really met John Bonham I'd have never heard the end of it, and I don't recall anything about this. I do remember the band thinking Blackmore was watching them at the Starwood once but it turned out to be a look-alike! However - it MAY be true, and if so, most likely it was after one of VHs many gigs at Whiskey-a go-go, after all the Rainbow is a short one-block walk from the Whiskey. 75-77, couldn't be earlier. My two cents anyway...

The level of importance is subjective. Clearly, it is a topic of interest for myself and many others.

Oh I can see that Steve but its all pure guess work isn't it as to whether they were in the same state/city/country on the some day some time in the 70's.

But its your energy levels to waste on it. Just giving my view on it. :D

I worked for VanHalen from 75-78. If Ed had really met John Bonham I'd have never heard the end of it, and I don't recall anything about this. I do remember the band thinking Blackmore was watching them at the Starwood once but it turned out to be a look-alike! However - it MAY be true, and if so, most likely it was after one of VHs many gigs at Whiskey-a go-go, after all the Rainbow is a short one-block walk from the Whiskey. 75-77, couldn't be earlier. My two cents anyway...

So, what are the chances you might just ask Mr. Van Halen, yourself? That would clear it up. :)

Edited for fumble fingers, as usual...

Edited by SunChild

Oh I can see that Steve but its all pure guess work isn't it as to whether they were in the same state/city/country on the some day some time in the 70's.

But its your energy levels to waste on it. Just giving my view on it. :D

I heard this same thing before releasing a 38 year old audience tape from Vancouver and as of five minutes ago, receiving formal confirmation Led Zeppelin DID play in Las Vegas in 1969. I fully realize some pursuits may seem trivial to some and believe me I know better than most how truly aggravating they can become but one never knows where it will lead unless it is pursued. I'm willing to take this particular path, you apparently are not. Perhaps the next topic of interest presented here will intrigue you and perhaps not.

So, what are the chances you might just ask Mr. Van Halen, yourself? That would clear it up. :)

Yes, I could always ask however that is not my style if I believe I can arrive at the answer thru collaboration, and besides this is not a good time to ask Eddie anything.

He's got enough problems at the moment.

I heard this same thing before releasing a 38 year old audience tape from Vancouver and as of five minutes ago, receiving formal confirmation Led Zeppelin DID play in Las Vegas in 1969. I fully realize some pursuits may seem trivial to some and believe me I know better than most how truly aggravating they can become but one never knows where it will lead unless it is pursued. I'm willing to take this particular path, you apparently are not. Perhaps the next topic of interest presented here will intrigue you and perhaps not.

Lots of things intrigue me Steve but stabbing at extremely remote possibilities isn't one of them.

There is a difference however for me in relation to new shows or sources for shows being found and confirmation of a missing date, that is exciting news but EVH possibly or possibly not meeting any member of LZ pales into insignificance. But I gather its your desire to find this stuff out and so be it but allow others to put their view to please cos at the end of the day others of us are fans too. B)

YET ANOTHER 1969 LED ZEPPELIN CONCERT CONFIRMED

ICE PALACE in LAS VEGAS August 11, 1969

The Initial Confirmation I received in response to my inquiry via private correspondence:

(addresses omitted)

Hiya Steve;

PINKINY CANANDY didn't open for Led Zeppelin - we were second on the bill. A local band opened the show, then Pinkiny Canandy (Michael Chain) and then Zeppelin. PINKINY CANANDY: Michael Chain lead singer/songwriter guitarist (original lead singer of the KNACK) drums - Doug Altman (played with Ricky Nelson, Jackson Brown, Linda Rondstat, Danny O'Keefe) bass -Mike Rice (formerly with Merry Go Round) lead guitar - Gary Kato (formerly with Merry Go Round). Any other questions you have I'll be happy to answer. I remember that concert well.

Michael Chain

www.michaelchain.com

Original Thread:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?s...ic=4716&hl=

I'm glad he has a better memory than Robert! :lol:

It's been corroborated to a degree by concert-goers, one of whom is a forum member.

In regards to Robert's memory, any further confirmation of his 1981 Honeydripper gigs, among others, is far more likely to be recalled and provided by you! :lol: