Death Wish II on the TV last night (Page's soundtrack)

dpat

Although I can't say it is an exceptional movie (the first Death Wish being so much more realistic and interesting), it was good to HEAR Jimmy Page's work in the movie.

I bought the soundtrack eons ago (vinyl) and it was good to hear his tuneage again.

It is something akin to what I think the (never to be) next Zep album may have sounded a bit like.

Loved Bronson may he RIP. I wonder how Jimmy got the job. Wonder if he actually met Bronson???

He got the job because he use to live next door to the director of the film Michael Winner in Windsor !! I think Winner once said that he new Zeppelin had finished with Bonzo dead and thought Page could do with something to do (or was kicking around) and he asked him !! the rest they say is history !!

Michael Winner also asked him to compose the soundtrack to another one of his films, Scream For Help

He couldn't do it (although he did contribute), because he was busy with The Firm, so he referred him to one of his good mates...

John-Paul-Jones-Scream-For-Help-113510.jpg

Herbie Hancock's score for the original film is also excellent.

Jimmy Page is also credited for the Death Wish III soundtrack, but he never wrote anything new for it, it's just the same material used again.

Herbie Hancock's score for the original film is also excellent.

Jimmy Page is also credited for the Death Wish III soundtrack, but he never wrote anything new for it, it's just the same material used again.

I didn't know either of those you say !! thats a cop out though using the same score as II , does it fit as I never bothered to see DW III ??

I didn't know either of those you say !! thats a cop out though using the same score as II , does it fit as I never bothered to see DW III ??

I can't remember to be honest haven't seen it for years. I've got it on VHS, but it's packed away at the moment, otherwise I'd give it a look.

DW III is a fun film, but goes way over the top. Bronson takes on hundreds of thugs with a machine gun! :D

I can't remember to be honest haven't seen it for years. I've got it on VHS, but it's packed away at the moment, otherwise I'd give it a look.

DW III is a fun film, but goes way over the top. Bronson takes on hundreds of thugs with a machine gun! :D

lol nothing new then with Bronson deathwish films!! :)

:lol: i caught the beginning of -deathwish last night on tv...the intro, when the show jimmy pages name, there is an aerial shot of like a house/business on a fish dock, kind of cool, 2nd time ive ever seen that. Insane channel surfer here, so i passed the whole movie except for the intro... among the stops at the travel channel or food channel. It was funny, cause i only listnened to that song, intro song, on the outrider bootleg, funny hearing it with the synths, but the guitar sounded great with all the scenery, aerial shots, although the commentary of murder and crime, is messed up ofcourse.

Funnily enough I bought the 1983 ARMS concert this week on DVD from Amazon. Jimmy really looks like crap on it but still performs great on it, He does City Sirens, Whos to Blame and Prelude. I like all of them especially Prelude. Does piss me off though, If you watch Steve Winwood when Page is performing he's taking the piss out of Jimmy cause he's so stoned. Prick !

Funny remembrance of the movie (haven't seen it since '82 or so) but, at one point bronson is chasing some thugs (suprise, suprise!) and blowing them away at will...during this particular sequence i believe they are playing "Jam Sandwich" in the backround. Bronson catches up to this one dude who is noted for carrying his big 80's boom box...the cat sees he is cornered by "Mr. Death Wish" and PUTS THE BOOM BOX IN FRONT OF HIS FACE!!!! Bronsons' mega-bullet spits the boom box in two, just as i imagine, wouldv'e happened to his face had this been real!

I watched the Death Wish II and III films the past two nights just to hear Jimmy's music. DW3 had additional music (that wasn't in II) and some of it doesn't sound like stuff Jimmy would do necessarily. I wondered if some of the string and piano-based music was done by him or his collaborator, Mike Moran. Pagey is the only one I saw in the credits who gets composer credit though.

I watched the Death Wish II and III films the past two nights just to hear Jimmy's music. DW3 had additional music (that wasn't in II) and some of it doesn't sound like stuff Jimmy would do necessarily. I wondered if some of the string and piano-based music was done by him or his collaborator, Mike Moran.

Yeah, he was involved. He did all the arranging and some additional synthesiser, according to his IMDb page.

I love Jimmy's soundtrack. I just got a few months ago on vinyl. I rented the film, but could hardly sit through the whole thing. I absolutely loved the opening sequence with "Who's to Blame" playing over the LA highway/skyline. That's really cool. Other than that, I think Jimmy's music is much much better than the film. How much did he have to do with III, I saw he got credit for it too.

BTW, wasn't Laurence Fishburne one of the thugs?

I didn't see him, but I did spot some other surprising people in what was probably their debuts: Jeff Goldblum was one of the "freaks" who attack Bronson's wife and daughter in the first film. Christopher Guest (aka Nigel Tufnel) was the young cop at the end who didn't squeal on The Vigilante.

And in DW3, Alex Winter (Bill from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure) was one of the nasty street punks... who incidentally looked like extras from an 80's aerobics/dance video :)

I once had an LP bootleg of Death Wish II outtakes. I never saw DW III but it's possible it could have used some of these. Most of these sounded like alternate queues, but I vaguely recall an asian-themed piece which was all original.

The bootleg LP "Trouble At The Front/The Death Wish Outtakes" has the following tracklist:

Who's To Blame

The Fiesta

The Fiesta Too!

The Chase

Carole's Theme (Strings)

Carole's Theme (Guitars)

Carole's Theme (Flutes)

Carole's Theme (Piano)

Carole's Theme

The Release

The Restaurant

Hotel Rats & Photostats

Jill's Theme

Jill's Death

Prelude

Big Band Intro

Violence

Sax

Hypnotizing Ways (instrumental)

I don't have the LP so I can't comment on any unreleased material (I could assume that "The Fiesta," "The Restaurant" and "Jill's Death" are unique songs, although it's possible that they're just "Jam Sandwich" and/or "A Shadow In The City" in disguise).

Archived