Queen (Under Rated?)

ZoSo88

Camp is fine when balanced out correctly. They were just way too much of it. When they did flat out rock though it was nearly unmatched by the rest of the rock world.

Yes, but that's what made them who they were... That's their identity.. It's what set them apart from every other "Classic Rock" band out there.. (Plus the fact of their harmonies, amazing charismatic front-man, great lead guitarist etc...)

What exactly is 'balanced out correctly' anyway? Example?

Camp is fine when balanced out correctly. They were just way too much of it. When they did flat out rock though it was nearly unmatched by the rest of the rock world.

I don't think Queen needed to balance their camp. That would be like telling Zep to tone down their testosterone. :D That's just what they were. If everybody doesn't like it or get it, well, who cares? Why should they try to fit someone else's mold?

I don't think Queen needed to balance their camp. That would be like telling Zep to tone down their testosterone. :D That's just what they were. If everybody doesn't like it or get it, well, who cares? Why should they try to fit someone else's mold?

Echoing my sentiments! :thumbsup:

Yes, but that's what made them who they were... That's their identity.. It's what set them apart from every other "Classic Rock" band out there.. (Plus the fact of their harmonies, amazing charismatic front-man, great lead guitarist etc...)

Well those harmonies are ridiculously good.

What exactly is 'balanced out correctly' anyway? Example?

I think the Beatles and the Who had a fair amount of Camp, but not too much of it. I'm not posing this as a universal fact either, what I view as too much may be just right for others.

I think the Beatles and the Who had a fair amount of Camp, but not too much of it. I'm not posing this as a universal fact either, what I view as too much may be just right for others.

The Who?! I'm sorry, but i'll have to disagree there... They were one of the bands with a lot of machismo if you ask me... Just look at Roger Daltry for example... He was a real 'mans man'..

I wouldn't exactly call The Beatles camp either... I guess that's open to perception though..

The Who?! I'm sorry, but i'll have to disagree there... They were one of the bands with a lot of machismo if you ask me... Just look at Roger Daltry for example... He was a real 'mans man'..

I wouldn't exactly call The Beatles camp either... I guess that's open to perception though..

Daltrey was, but oh was there camp. Delicious camp...

Try "Whiskey Man," "Boris The Spider," "Bell Boy (When Keith Moon is singing)," "A Quick One (While He's Away)" or "Happy Jack." I think camp and humor was a big part of their music, but it's usually overshadowed by the operas/big AOR songs of the 70s.

And the Beatles had their moments of camp too (Yellow Submarine), and so did Zep (The Crunge). I really love all those songs I listed, this wasn't meant to put them down for those who don't like when things are called camp.

When you talk about the Who being camp, are you referring to songs like "I'm a Boy", or maybe some of the stuff on Quadrophenia? I'm in interested to hear what you mean.

Edited: Ok, you've answered this. Jim and I are tag-teaming you. I'm going to bow out and just read now. :D

Daltrey was, but oh was there camp. Delicious camp...

Try "Whiskey Man," "Boris The Spider," "Bell Boy (When Keith Moon is singing)," "A Quick One (While He's Away)" or "Happy Jack." I think camp and humor was a big part of their music, but it's usually overshadowed by the operas/big AOR songs of the 70s.

And the Beatles had their moments of camp too (Yellow Submarine), and so did Zep (The Crunge). I really love all those songs I listed, this wasn't meant to put them down for those who don't like when things are called camp.

Yeah, I understand that those bands may have had deliberate, isolated moments of camp... but the general perception of them isn't what I'd call camp... Point taken though.

When you talk about the Who being camp, are you referring to songs like "I'm a Boy", or maybe some of the stuff on Quadrophenia? I'm in interested to hear what you mean.

Edited: Ok, you've answered this. Jim and I are tag-teaming you. I'm going to bow out and just read now. :D

Ha, that's alright it happens all the time.

Yeah, I understand that those bands may have had deliberate, isolated moments of camp... but the general perception of them isn't what I'd call camp... Point taken though.

I'd have to agree that the general perception of the Who is a band that only makes songs like My Generation, Baba O'Riley, Love Reign O'er Me, and Won't Get Fooled Again (thanks CSI). However, there was so much more to them than that.

I'd have to agree that the general perception of the Who is a band that only makes songs like My Generation, Baba O'Riley, Love Reign O'er Me, and Won't Get Fooled Again (thanks CSI). However, there was so much more to them than that.

You don't have to tell me! I'm a big Who fan also! B)

True, but is Happy Jack really considered "so much more"?

Its just one song, after all. Even if it does sell Hummers.

:shifty:

I don't think they are over or underrated, very clever band and most of their singles are classics and very memorable. In my opinion though I dont think they did an album that didn't have filllers in it, apart from the best of albums which are all great !! I say that as alot of the Zep albums didn't have fillers Like I an IV, Queen II though might be the nearest to the Zep to I mentioned.

I was lucky enough to see their last ever gig with Fred.

tickkneb.jpg

I don't think they are over or underrated, very clever band and most of their singles are classics and very memorable. In my opinion though I dont think they did an album that didn't have filllers in it, apart from the best of albums which are all great !! I say that as alot of the Zep albums didn't have fillers Like I an IV, Queen II though might be the nearest to the Zep to I mentioned.

tickkneb.jpg

What are you describing as fillers?

What are you describing as fillers?

Oh God I have started something here :D , Things like The game, Night at the Opera Hot space and A Kind of magic had fillers from the top of my head....I do however like those albums !

Don't Try Suicide, Calling All Girls, Princess Of The Universe and 39 !! I know this is subjective and only my opinion...I am a Queen fan but there isn't an album that I listen to and think each song is great unlike some of the Zep ones thats all. If I think more I am sure their are more Queen fillers !! Great singles band !

tickkneb.jpg

Lucky, indeed. Wow.

Although, I don't agree with the fillers bit. ;)

Oh God I have started something here :D , Things like The game, Night at the Opera Hot space and A Kind of magic had fillers from the top of my head....I do however like those albums !

Don't Try Suicide, Calling All Girls, Princess Of The Universe and 39 !! I know this is subjective and only my opinion...I am a Queen fan but there isn't an album that I listen to and think each song is great unlike some of the Zep ones thats all. If I think more I am sure their are more Queen fillers !! Great singles band !

:lol: The songs you mentioned are some of my all-time faves!! Figures, eh? It's so funny what one person likes another person thinks of as filler. :D

Archived