Annoying drum pedal squeak

sueakydrumpedal

I LOVE THAT SQUEAK! That squeak is one of my most favorite things about Led Zeppelin, period. I hope that squeak never gets edited out of "Since I've Been Loving You", and I'll tell you why. I never got to see John Bonham live, but if I close my eyes while I'm listening to that song, and I hear that squeak, it's like I'm in studio with them while he's playing that song. It makes me feel like I am standing right next to him, even though I'm not. That squeak is very precious to me. :)

Jimmy, please never edit that squeak out! :)

I LOVE THAT SQUEAK! That squeak is one of my most favorite things about Led Zeppelin, period. I hope that squeak never gets edited out of "Since I've Been Loving You", and I'll tell you why. I never got to see John Bonham live, but if I close my eyes while I'm listening to that song, and I hear that squeak, it's like I'm in studio with them while he's playing that song. It makes me feel like I am standing right next to him, even though I'm not. That squeak is very precious to me. :)

Jimmy, please never edit that squeak out! :)

:) I agree. I like that they leave little things in the songs. Makes it feel more "real" as though it was a live recording, if that makes any sense.

:) I agree. I like that they leave little things in the songs. Makes it feel more "real" as though it was a live recording, if that makes any sense.

Me too! The squeak can be heard in lots of other tracks, I suspect because they recorded so much of their early albums on the road, the recording was not the sterile sound that you get with today's stuff (especially now it's all digital). I particularly like the phone ringing during "The Ocean" too, it always makes me smile. Although I believe that this may have been deliberate, it still makes the whole thing more spontaneous somehow.

Long live the squeak! :lol:

The squeak is one of those things that adds flavour.Just like the telephone that rings during the Ocean. It is a blemish that adds to, rather than subtracts from the music.

I am glad that no attempt has been made so far to remove these, and many other "faults " from the studio work.However their is a C.D I own that did just that! If I remember correctly "In My time of Dying" had a coff and comment removed from the C.D edition,and I notice it every time I (don't) hear it.To remove "imperfections" is like a sad atempt at revisionism.If,in the future, everybody decided to wear a mohawk, should we put one on the Statue of Liberty?.

Since I've Been Loving you was recorded almost as a live track - the only overdub is the guitar solo I believe. This is a song about musical chemistry and emotion, not about clean recording. It's the blues dammit what do you expect?

John Bonham used the Ludwig Speed King bass drum pedal, AKA Ludwig "Squeak' king.

The "S"clamp that held the pedal together would squeak alot, and oiling it meant that the clamp would seperate during play...most people elected to let it squeak.

That pedal had a great feel, and obviusly helped enable JHB to rewrite rock drumming, so Squeak it is!

Actually, yes, In My Time has a humorous bit at the end if you listen carefully...

"Jesus make up my dyin dyin dyin..."

*Page hacks up a lung in the background*

"Cough..." :lol:

"That's gotta be the one hasn't it?"

"Yes, come have a listen."

"Oh, thank you."

ETA: Telephone ringing in "The Ocean"? Gotta go listen for it now...

There is an annoying drum pedal squeak throughout LZ's music, it is most evident in "Since I've Been Loving You", it really wrecks a great piece of music.

Why didn't the Music Masters pick this up.........

<_<

annoying??

it makes the ambiance of the song, along with those mentioned above.

..like the airplane in "Black country woman"

Actually, yes, In My Time has a humorous bit at the end if you listen carefully...

"Jesus make up my dyin dyin dyin..."

*Page hacks up a lung in the background*

"Cough..." :lol:

"That's gotta be the one hasn't it?"

"Yes, come have a listen."

"Oh, thank you."

ETA: Telephone ringing in "The Ocean"? Gotta go listen for it now...

I remember some wag many years ago, boasting that his stereo was so good that not only could he hear the telephone ringing, but he could also hear Jimmy running up the stairs to answer it!. :lol:

And I do very much miss that last part of IMTOD. Thanks for reminding me so vividly!.

I've never noticed it before. therefor, just leave it alone.

I never noticed it until it was pointed out to me, and even now sometimes I forget and stop noticing it. I think it adds to the live feel of the band - they were never perfect and that is why they are so great.

I remember some wag many years ago, boasting that his stereo was so good that not only could he hear the telephone ringing, but he could also hear Jimmy running up the stairs to answer it!. :lol:

And I do very much miss that last part of IMTOD. Thanks for reminding me so vividly!.

LOL, I have it on my mp3 player and was able to hear it clearly recently. My fella says, "Yeah Jimmy always seemed to be hacking up a lung." After Robert sang, "cough..." Jimmy briefly picks a comedy riff, it seems, before Bonham says, "That's gotta be the one, hasn't it?" It's cute.

Archived