Pet Peeves

Hotplant

I just have one question about the hoodie thing...what the hell are you supposed to wear instead? What if it's too hot for a jacket, but too cold for a long-sleeved shirt? When I went to England it was cold and everybody had a jacket on, so I didn't get to see what you all do when it warms up a little.

I guess that I don't understand the hoodie issue in Britain and Ireland.

In the US, all college students wear hoodies with their school insignias on them. My sons collect hoodies from different colleges that they have visited. The college "uniform" in the US is t-shirt, jeans, and hoodie. And most kids wear sneakers, or trainers or tennis shoes with their jeans. I know that in the UK, trainers are un-stylish, and only worn for sports.

My son reported that when he was in Ireland for the summer of 2008, the tough thugs wore jogging warm-up suits, something that would only be worn in the US for running or exercising. He said that you could tell the leader of the gang because he was the one with the most Addidas insignia apparel on. In the US, the thugs tend to wear hip-hop outfits, lol (baggy pants, underwear showing, chains on their belts, bandanas hanging out of their pockets).

Its funny how clothes indicate different things to different cultures.

Around here, EVERYONE wears hoodies! My stepdad bought my sisters my boyfriend, my mom and me hoodies for Christmas!

I guess that I don't understand the hoodie issue in Britain and Ireland.

In the US, all college students wear hoodies with their school insignias on them. My sons collect hoodies from different colleges that they have visited. The college "uniform" in the US is t-shirt, jeans, and hoodie. And most kids wear sneakers, or trainers or tennis shoes with their jeans. I know that in the UK, trainers are un-stylish, and only worn for sports.

My son reported that when he was in Ireland for the summer of 2008, the tough thugs wore jogging warm-up suits, something that would only be worn in the US for running or exercising. He said that you could tell the leader of the gang because he was the one with the most Addidas insignia apparel on. In the US, the thugs tend to wear hip-hop outfits, lol (baggy pants, underwear showing, chains on their belts, bandanas hanging out of their pockets).

Its funny how clothes indicate different things to different cultures.

My oldest daughter practically lives in hoodies, and my son got one of those Peruvian knitted hats (with the ear flaps and dangling pompoms) for Christmas and is wearing it 24/7; indoors and outdoors :) Hopefully the novelty will wear off soon...

Tell me about it! Like BUCK said, it's seriously like a uniform. I wear my college's hoodie (I've got more than a couple), jeans, and (So Cal variation on a theme here) flip-flops almost every day. I wish I was a little more stylish sometimes, but it's so easy and everybody does it, so I just go for the hoodie when I'm feeling lazy. Which is often.

Does the hoodie=gangster thing exist in France, too? I might go to France sometime this year, and if that's the case, then MAN do I need to do some shopping before I leave! Otherwise I'll look like la not-so-petite criminelle.

Around here, EVERYONE wears hoodies! My stepdad bought my sisters my boyfriend, my mom and me hoodies for Christmas!

First off I would never wear a "Hoodie" that sounds like a name some homo clothing designer would come up with, however I do have a couple of

"Hooded Sweatshirts" that I wear.

Personally I could give a rats ass what people think about what I wear as long as it's clean and doesn't smell like ass! Lol

edited to add pressed as well, wrinkly clothes look like crap

First off I would never wear a "Hoodie" that sounds like a name some homo clothing designer would come up with, however I do have a couple of

"Hooded Sweatshirts" that I wear.

Personally I could give a rats ass what people think about what I wear as long as it's clean and doesn't smell like ass! Lol

edited to add pressed as well, wrinkly clothes look like crap

That's funny, Charles!laugh.gif

I personally don't own a hooded sweatshirt, and would never wear one. They are way too casual for me. I never wear sneakers, either, unless I am exercising. And like you, I do iron all of my clothes (what a pain).

A note to Footsteps of Dawn:

I would not recommend wearing hoodies in France, the fashion capital of the world (Paris). You would be looked down upon as an un-civilized American (their opinion). Europeans can tell that you are an American by what you wear, and they do think that we are not as cultured as they are, and especially in France, they will treat you like a second class person just because you are American. Also, do not wear sneakers! I would recommend that you try to dress as fashionably as possible when going to France, particularly. Another tip for France: learn a few French words so that you can at least greet people properly, as this is important to them.

I personally don't own a hooded sweatshirt, and would never wear one. They are way too casual for me. I never wear sneakers, either, unless I am exercising. And like you, I do iron all of my clothes (what a pain).

Hey there princess :rolleyes::lol:

I used to be the same way when I was younger, couldn't wait to get out of my work clothes and into nice dress clothes.

The hooded sweatshirts I only wear for work because it helps keep the wind and dirt from going down the back of my neck which kinda creeps me out, picked a good profession to be in for that! Lol

Then I got married to a blue Jean girl and I guess I became comfortably casual.

I'm planning on updating my wordrobe as soon as I get my full land legs back, this year will be the first year of the rest of my life :)

Hey there princess rolleyes.giflaugh.gif

I used to be the same way when I was younger, couldn't wait to get out of my work clothes and into nice dress clothes.

The hooded sweatshirts I only wear for work because it helps keep the wind and dirt from going down the back of my neck which kinda creeps me out, picked a good profession to be in for that! Lol

Then I got married to a blue Jean girl and I guess I became comfortably casual.

I'm planning on updating my wordrobe as soon as I get my full land legs back, this year will be the first year of the rest of my life smile.gif

Have fun shopping! Now would be a good time to hit the after Christmas/January sales.

Ironing is only for very special occasions in our house smile.gif You either love it or you hate it. I would rather do calculus than iron. ohmy.gif

OK, I'll do the ironing you do the baking....deal ? biggrin.gif

A note to Footsteps of Dawn:

I would not recommend wearing hoodies in France, the fashion capital of the world (Paris). You would be looked down upon as an un-civilized American (their opinion). Europeans can tell that you are an American by what you wear, and they do think that we are not as cultured as they are, and especially in France, they will treat you like a second class person just because you are American. Also, do not wear sneakers! I would recommend that you try to dress as fashionably as possible when going to France, particularly. Another tip for France: learn a few French words so that you can at least greet people properly, as this is important to them.

Well, I've got one of those down, anyway - I speak French! :) That's true...over and above the gangster issue, it's rather casual for Europe, and especially for France, isn't it? I wasn't thinking of it that way (like an idiot), but you're right. Thanks! Yep, definitely have some shopping to do...I hope I can do a lot while I'm in France, but I definitely need some things to get me started.

Well, I've got one of those down, anyway - I speak French! :) That's true...over and above the gangster issue, it's rather casual for Europe, and especially for France, isn't it? I wasn't thinking of it that way (like an idiot), but you're right. Thanks! Yep, definitely have some shopping to do...I hope I can do a lot while I'm in France, but I definitely need some things to get me started.

FoD, I'm gonna have to disagree with Buck here. I've been to France many times - Paris included - and I've never particularly dressed up, and never once have I had any such negative experience because of it. Whilst it's true that you may get looked down upon, I don't think it has anything to do with your attire. The French tend to look down upon anyone who happens to not be French.

FoD, I'm gonna have to disagree with Buck here. I've been to France many times - Paris included - and I've never particularly dressed up, and never once have I had any such negative experience because of it. Whilst it's true that you may get looked down upon, I don't think it has anything to do with your attire. The French tend to look down upon anyone who happens to not be French.

Hi LDW smile.gif

But you are English. We Americans have to try harder than you to get the approval of the French. LOL

And I would agree that teens and young adults don't get the fashion scrutiny that older adults (who should know how to dress) do. And the Brits do not dress as casually as Americans do, either, so you are already better dressed than most Americans are, in general. Just my observations from being a world traveler, lol.

Hi LDW smile.gif

We Americans have to try harder than you to get the approval of the French.

No offence DOC but when it comes to approval I see it the other way around.

My grandfather gave his life to liberate those ungrateful bastards :angry:

as far as I'm concerned the French can kiss my ass! especially the younger ones

because I do believe their elders are more gracious.

Hi LDW smile.gif

But you are English. We Americans have to try harder than you to get the approval of the French. LOL

And I would agree that teens and young adults don't get the fashion scrutiny that older adults (who should know how to dress) do. And the Brits do not dress as casually as Americans do, either, so you are already better dressed than most Americans are, in general. Just my observations from being a world traveler, lol.

I don't think you should have to try harder for approval at all, the French are hardly ever pleased with foreigners. As for our dress sense - well, we just wear some weird stuff. I've been to America a lot, and I'll admit that you do dress more casually than we do. I would say it's because following trends and our culture is probably something we place too much significance on. Not that it's not important for you, but it's always been something that has been taken very seriously over here and in Europe.

Archived