The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

Ill stay up and listen on the radio if I must. I cant sleep knowing they are playing. I have been like that since the days of Perrault, Martin and Robert. I will try and see at least one at a local watering hole. Will listen to the others. Last nights game was a joke. We had the chance to put them away early but missed the net. Then the refs gave them every break imaginable. Dont they know a dive when they see one? I dont blame Miller for last nights loss. Two or three of the goals were from near the point and screen shots. Typical Sabres. Lose to the teams they should beat and go into Boston and win and beat the upper teams. I hope they pull off a nice trade. I dont think the Leafs can make the playoffs this year Juliet. Sorry. I just dont see how they can do it. But they have played well at times. I havent seen enough of them to know where the problems lie. the next televised Sabres game here is their next home game on Feb 4th, against your Leafs.

Hey Yukon:

I look forward to that game...

Geee...February is starting to look like a good month...Feb 4 Leafs beat oops I mean play The Sabres...Feb 8 The Grammy awards....ohh dear...and I don't know what I will wear....Let's see a Leafs sweater with my pearls and faux fur might work....for both... :lol:

GO LEAFS GO :D:cheer::party:

If only I could afford one :P

Persoanlly, I'd have to take Larionov's. One of the best I've ever seen

Yeah, I paid 180 for it. It's so nice...10 years too late tho. ha. Good call on Larionov, he was fun to watch. B)

I think its a mistake. Not the same player he was.

Typical Philly sports move. They bring back a player waaaay past his prime.

Well of course. Hell, Steve has only one name in Detroit; "Captain". When you say "the Captain", no one thinks you're talking about Nick. And that's just fine by me. I think Steve has earned the right to be called whatever people want to call him.

Well of course. Hell, Steve has only one name in Detroit; "Captain". When you say "the Captain", no one thinks you're talking about Nick. And that's just fine by me. I think Steve has earned the right to be called whatever people want to call him.

He certainly has but Nick has done a great job with his inheritance and I'm sure will be remembered in the same way when his playing day's are over. I think he is in the same class act mold as Yzerman

He certainly has but Nick has done a great job with his inheritance and I'm sure will be remembered in the same way when his playing day's are over. I think he is in the same class act mold as Yzerman

Of course, Nick has done a fine job. But Yzerman is THE Captain in Detroit. That's undeniable. Every captain Detroit will ever have from now to eternity will be compared to Stevie Y. It's that simple. Nick's done a great job, but Yzerman was the single-greatest Captain the NHL has ever seen.

Hell, he's even good at his front office job :D

Of course, Nick has done a fine job. But Yzerman is THE Captain in Detroit. That's undeniable. Every captain Detroit will ever have from now to eternity will be compared to Stevie Y. It's that simple. Nick's done a great job, but Yzerman was the single-greatest Captain the NHL has ever seen.

Jean Beliveau and Steve are certainly the classiest I remember seeing. Beliveau would probably be before your time though :D

I know he'll be remembered in the same way. They're already talking about him being in the Top 3 defensemen of all time, and the greatest European player of all time.....I don't doubt that when he hangs up the skates, he'll be ranked right along the all-time greats. I'm glad that my team has the kind of history it does but more than that, we have some class guys. We always have, though there have been aberrations along the way. God love Probert, but the drug problem got in the way.

I know he'll be remembered in the same way. They're already talking about him being in the Top 3 defensemen of all time, and the greatest European player of all time.....I don't doubt that when he hangs up the skates, he'll be ranked right along the all-time greats. I'm glad that my team has the kind of history it does but more than that, we have some class guys. We always have, though there have been aberrations along the way. God love Probert, but the drug problem got in the way.

For the most part, Detroit only takes the humble class acts. To take from Mitch Albom's article in SI, even Dennis Rodman didn't get crazy until after Detroit. Tis just what we do :D

Can you see Steve either coaching the team or being GM? Because I really think they're grooming him to be GM when Holland leaves.

Well I dont know about that. I cant remember who wore the C but If Gretsky or Messier or Gordie Howe ever did, then Id say you are flat out wrong. Yzerman was damb good, but you are overating him in my book.

Gordie Howe was never captain, odd as that sounds. Gretzky and Messier were both captains of their teams, but numbers aren't everything.

Well I dont know about that. I cant remember who wore the C but If Gretsky or Messier or Gordie Howe ever did, then Id say you are flat out wrong. Yzerman was damb good, but you are overating him in my book.

Not what I meant at all. I'm saying that he was the best "captain", not player to have worn the C on the jersey.

Can you see Steve either coaching the team or being GM? Because I really think they're grooming him to be GM when Holland leaves.

I'm convinced that he can do anything he wants, and if he wants the job when Hollands gone, then I'm sure he'll get it and be great at it. They might be grooming him, it's possible. I haven't heard much from it though. I'm not sure when exactly Holland is gonna take off, but I'm sure Yzerman will still be there for us

No numbers arent everthing. There was this guy named Gilbert Perrault that in my opinion was as talented a player that ever laced up a pair of skates. He was on the famous French Connection line back in the 70s. There were some guys in St Louis names Plagure and Berenson that werent too shabby either. And lets not forget Trottier. Yzerman was a great player, but no way in hell was he the best. No way. I have been watching hockey since 1967. and have seen alot of greats. Beliveau was mentioned by Ally. If you are going to mention him you must mention a guy named Phil Esposito also. What say you about all this Ally?

Well I would have to agree that there have been better players than Yzerman but he certainly ranks amoung the best captains ever. There have been many great ones and most have been players that carried their clubs idenity on their shoulders. Trottier was a great one and other's that come to mind are Joe Sakic, Gretzky, Lemiuex, Messier, Bourque, Sittler, Cournoyer, Richard, Bucyk . Other Red Wings that also come to mind are Alex Delvecchio, Ted Lindsay, and yes Gordie Howe

Archived