For the 50 and over crowd

JethroTull

I never realized this until recently. As you age, you experience more and more people around you dying. It makes perfect sense from a probability standpoint, but just recently hit me. R.I.P.

September 11, 2001 - A very close friend who worked for Cantor Fitzgerald on the 105th floor of the 1st tower.

September 11, 2001 - A high school friend who was a Port Authority police officer.

September 2004 - my last surviving aunt.

October 2006 - my mother-in-law.

January 2007 - a neighborhood friend committed suicide.

July 2007 - my dear cousin, whom I had recently grown very close to.

December 2007 - A former co-worker from New Jersey had a heart attack while refereeing a basketball game.

Hey, they were showing us how that can be done on last night's episode of LOST! :thumbsup: The secret is that you have to have a "Constant", something or someone that is very special to you that is/was available to you at both times.

:D Just kiddin'. I know what you're saying. And it seems to me, from the little I know you, that you do have lots going on in your life presently and lots to look forward to in the future......it's rather nice to look back now & then too.

I think similar ideas have been floating around sci fi stories for a long time.

Yes, like you, lots going on in my present life...and great things to look forward to...sometimes I've thought that nothing could top a particular experience and then life gives me something even better. :D

How about these lyrics by JT:

"Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young To Die"

The old Rocker wore his hair too long,

wore his trouser cuffs too tight.

Unfashionable to the end --- drank his ale too light.

Death's head belt buckle --- yesterday's dreams ---

the transport caf' prophet of doom.

Ringing no change in his double-sewn seams

in his post-war-babe gloom.

Now he's too old to Rock'n'Roll but he's too young to die.

He once owned a Harley Davidson and a Triumph Bonneville.

Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs

and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys

all of his mates are doing time:

married with three kids up by the ring road

sold their souls straight down the line.

And some of them own little sports cars

and meet at the tennis club do's.

For drinks on a Sunday --- work on Monday.

They've thrown away their blue suede shoes.

Now they're too old to Rock'n'Roll and they're too young to die.

So the old Rocker gets out his bike

to make a ton before he takes his leave.

Up on the A1 by Scotch Corner

just like it used to be.

And as he flies --- tears in his eyes ---

his wind-whipped words echo the final take

and he hits the trunk road doing around 120

with no room left to brake.

And he was too old to Rock'n'Roll but he was too young to die.

No, you're never too old to Rock'n'Roll if you're too young to die.

GREAT LYRICS - I love this song of JT!

And I know a lot of people who are over 50 and still VERY COOL!!!

Just making it to 50 is an achievement.

60 here I come!

To all you youngens out there, strap yourself in, clench your butt it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

I hope you all make it.

Amen brother! I'm two years shy of 50 and my ride has always been bumpy. .

To quote the grandma character in the movie "parenthood".....

I love the rollercoaster!

For people here complaing, and remember this is coming from a teenage kid.

Did you get to wait in line for tickets to a Zep show or any other concert for that matter? And get a ticket stub and not a printed piece of paper from ticketmaster.com?

Did you get to wait by the record store for your copy of the latest Zep album?

Do you remember when they played good music on most radio stations instead of this pop country crap?

I don't care if I was old now I'd rather experience that. You can have the technology, I want those days. And before, like the 60s.

The cool thing is, thanks to technology, all of that time remains available for you to enjoy. People like you who are young and who appreciate it can help make the renaissance of all that great stuff happen, without the pitfalls of say, doing too many drugs, or selling out to the man. B)

Also, think of all the things we didn't have: PCs, lap tops, Google and the rest of the world wide interweb, iPods, CDs, DVDs, Tivo, satellite everything, cell phones, small but mighty sound systems that don't make your ears ring, kids who start out their rock and roll life getting inspired by Zeppelin and the like (think where they might go...), 500 channels of shit on the tv to choose from, movies on demand, mainstream recognition for the need to be green, advances in medicine that allow people to beat dread diseases that once were almost inevitably fatal, and who knows what all I'm not even thinking of. (Though, yeah, it was pretty cool hanging out at Winterland with a bunch of other stoners, I gotta admit... :P )

In terms of being 50 +, I am actually lovin' it. Don't care so much what other people think; I know what to be grateful for and am; no one pays much attention to middle aged broads so we get to have a ton of fun without any one noticing, where a young woman might be judged to death.

Bottom line is - every day above ground is a good day! :D

Well, you know what's great about turning the big 5-0?

AARP ! ! !

Now I can finally get discounts on car rentals, travel, hotels, motorcycle insurance.. :blink::unsure:

Heh, I just got my card in the mail last week...you bet your sweet butt I'm gonna take advantage of it! :D

I still have a few more years until 50. Turning 40 was a breeze, but right after I got there I noticed the creaks beginning ... so when I get to 50 I want to be a FIT 50!

I am looking forward to those discounts! :)

They keep sending me a card and adds. Is it a good deal or a scam? Not that I really expect my "friends" here to give me an honest answer. But I am giving it a shot. Go ahead and rip me a new one.

Seriously. Sign up. It's cheap, and the first vacation you take it'll make up the difference in hotel bills. I kid you not. Just whip out that card at every hotel stay, that alone will make it worthwhile.

I was wondering about the prescription drug coverage. I know its about $17 a year to join the program. I am on Medicare now. And getting hammered as I owe for two recent surgeries over $1000 apiece. I really dont understand the whole thing. I probably wouldnt use the hotels like I would the prescription if it is worth it.

I'm not sure about the medical yet, I just got it myself. But I'll be looking into it as well. You might be able to find some info online. It's $39 to join for 5 years. Check into it!

Or I think $17 for one. But I think there is quite a copay and monthly mandatory fee. so unless you use a certain drug on a consistant basis and its expensive, its no worth it.

Yeah, I guess it depends on how you're going to use it. We do a lot of traveling and whatnot, so for us it pays off even if we don't use the medical. If you don't use all the benefits I can see your point.

I keep meaning to look into it. But I really dont inderstand it and have a general distrust of companies in general these days. All out to get your money. But this one may be legit. Time will tell.

AARP is definitely legit. My parents and mother-in-law all have it, and it's paying off for them. Again, it just depends on how you will utilize it as to whether it'll be worth it or not.

The Stones will always be older than me and they can still rock!

It gives me a differant way of relating to the words, "people try to put us down, just because we get around" when people say the Stones should quit because of their age.

Bravo... keep rockin'

I had to laugh sooooo much now when I read this!! Happy to report that you woke up this morning ... thanks god you woke up, you seem to be quite cool and you like Jethro Tull like I do!

Not only do I like Jethro Tull, but I really like you!! Would you like to go out for a virtual beer with me? I love Belgian beers, but would love to have you teach me about Austrian brews.

Well Jethro, if you like Belgian then you must like Blue Moon? They say to put an orange in it. Wont a dash of orange juice do the same trick? I like it by itself. Belgian white.

Blue Moon is Belgian style. It's not made in Belgium. Belgian beers have very complicated flavors and higher alcohol content than most American beers. We frequent a Belgian restaurant. I NEVER drive home. That being said, Blue Moon is not a bad beer. You should try some Chimay.

The Stones will always be older than me and they can still rock!

It gives me a differant way of relating to the words, "people try to put us down, just because we get around" when people say the Stones should quit because of their age.

I dig how you put that!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived