Zeppelin and the San Antonio Symphony

Last night the San Antonio Municipal Auditorium hosted the SA Pops Symphony in playing 18+ Zeppelin songs. They were fronted by a rock band. I have no idea who they were. The singer was Randy Jackson. Not sure who he is, either. But....

the show was fantastic. They played the Rain Song with the complete string section and I don't think I've ever heard anything so beautiful. And they played Kashmir, which made my hair want to stand on end it sounded so amazing. Those were the two best in my opinion. Stairway was part of the encore and it was played beautifully, but there was something missing. (Jimmy, maybe? LOL)

Anyway, the set included Ramble On, The Ocean, WWL, SIBLY, Immigrant Song, The Wanton Song, GTC, etc. I wrote down the set list because one of my friends couldn't be there. :) All of them were amazing. Randy of course couldn't quite hit the notes Robert did back in the day, but he didn't do too bad. You could tell he really cared and worked hard to get everything right. It was really an awesome experience.

It was supposed to have been broadcast on KZEP, the local classic rock station. If any SA area/South Texas fans were listening in, how did it sound?

Ok, the let list-not in order

Immigrant Song, GTC, Ramble On, Dancing Days, SIBLY, WLL, Heartbreaker-with a little MMH thrown in the middle, Rain Song, Kashmir, TSRTS, All of My Love, Moby Dick, Black Dog, The Wanton Song, an accoustic medley-OTHFA, Thank You, Tangerine into STH, and The Ocean.

randy is from a band called 'zebra' i see. dunno much more than that.

Wow, Zebra? I loved them back in '84. Didn't know who any of them were tho. Cool. And I understand they were a Zeppelin clone along with Kings X. Makes sense that they got him to do it then.

Zebra was THE club band on Long Island in the late 70's and early 80's, back when there were actually rock clubs. About 40% of their set list consisted of Zeppelin. They also played Rush, ZZ top and some other covers. Their originals were also very good. We would go see them at a place called Speaks every weekend..and they always packed the place.

Randy Jackson sings (like Robert) and plays guitar (like Jimmy). Although he's basically just singing with this orchestral arrangement. He's very talented, although some people may think his voice is too high. Zebra had 3 or 4 albums...very Zeppelinesque...you should definitely check them out.

Zebra was THE club band on Long Island in the late 70's and early 80's, back when there were actually rock clubs. About 40% of their set list consisted of Zeppelin. They also played Rush, ZZ top and some other covers. Their originals were also very good. We would go see them at a place called Speaks every weekend..and they always packed the place.

Randy Jackson sings (like Robert) and plays guitar (like Jimmy). Although he's basically just singing with this orchestral arrangement. He's very talented, although some people may think his voice is too high. Zebra had 3 or 4 albums...very Zeppelinesque...you should definitely check them out.

They were my first concert, at Astroworld in '84, might have been '83. I haven't heard them in years, but what I remember is Who's Behind the Door, Little Bears (or just Bears?) and Tell Me What You Want. I remember his voice was VERY high. He's in the same boat as Robert now, tho-he can't hit the high notes the way he did then. :D But yes, he still sings VERY well.

He plays guitar pretty well, he played on all the accoustic songs at the symphony show.

Looks like I'll have to revisit memory lane.....

Last night the San Antonio Municipal Auditorium hosted the SA Pops Symphony in playing 18+ Zeppelin songs. They were fronted by a rock band. I have no idea who they were. The singer was Randy Jackson. Not sure who he is, either. But....

the show was fantastic. They played the Rain Song with the complete string section and I don't think I've ever heard anything so beautiful. And they played Kashmir, which made my hair want to stand on end it sounded so amazing. Those were the two best in my opinion. Stairway was part of the encore and it was played beautifully, but there was something missing. (Jimmy, maybe? LOL)

Anyway, the set included Ramble On, The Ocean, WWL, SIBLY, Immigrant Song, The Wanton Song, GTC, etc. I wrote down the set list because one of my friends couldn't be there. :) All of them were amazing. Randy of course couldn't quite hit the notes Robert did back in the day, but he didn't do too bad. You could tell he really cared and worked hard to get everything right. It was really an awesome experience.

It was supposed to have been broadcast on KZEP, the local classic rock station. If any SA area/South Texas fans were listening in, how did it sound?

Sorry, I'm just up I-10 but I didn't hear the broadcast- actually, didn't know it would be broadcast. Did anyone else catch it? B)

^ oh great thanks! I lost my program last night.

So who is this Randy Jackson? I haven't been able to find any info on him, and what I remember of the program didn't say much.

He is the singer/guitarist for Zebra based out of New Orleans (my home town). They have a few good albums. The first is the best. They were signed by Atlantic and had a heavy Zeppelin sound, especially the vocals. I have met him once or twice, very nice guy. ..........so that's who he is.....

• 3 weeks later...

I was at a friends house when the program started on KZEP. We heard the first part of the Immigrant Song and it sounded alright. The vocals seemed a little too high but overall it sounded good. My friend was there too and said it was amazing. Wish I could have gone...

Randy Jackson, american idol judge? was he black?

he's a musician of SOME sort, he bothers me when he calls girls 'dude'.

edit: nah, can't be him, must be the OTHER randy jackson. i googled images on the name.

no, its a different guy

he does the Led Zeppelin thing with the Minneapolis Orchestra too.

I saw the show last year. it was really cool! and they do it every year.

The set with the MN Orchestra was pretty much the same and there was only one guitarist.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived