australian fans

slave to zep

Thanks to all the gang that came. Great to see you all again. Please, don't be strangers, come up and say 'Hi', we're not bad blokes.

Grant

it was my pleasure grant. i love your band so much, you do an excellent job. i'd really love jp, jpj and rp to catch one of your gigs, i am sure they would be impressed.

and hey, don't YOU be a stranger ( on here ). xo

it was my pleasure grant. i love your band so much, you do an excellent job. i'd really love jp, jpj and rp to catch one of your gigs, i am sure they would be impressed.

and hey, don't YOU be a stranger ( on here ). xo

What Jules said!

As I said to Jules on the night, I am very conscious of not using this site to flog a product.

I love Zep but the site owners and folk here are entitled to a little more respect than that.

Fair enough.

Like I said to you on the night, leave the promotion to us! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Reggie, slave to zep and AMAZONIC

Just wondering if you guys hear much of Raising Sand on the radio?

I have heard Gone, Gone, Gone once on ABC radio and that's it.

I emailed a DJ from the local classic rock radio station over here and asked why

they never play anything from Raising Sand. He said because Alison is classed as a country singer it doesn't fit their music format??

Do you hear any of it where you are?

I emailed a DJ from the local classic rock radio station over here and asked why

they never play anything from Raising Sand. He said because Alison is classed as a country singer it doesn't fit their music format??

Hello Fortuna! :)

No, personally I haven't heard any song from Raising Sand on the radio stations here, even though I basically & mostly listen to Triple J when possible. But so far, nothing :mellow:

well, i don't listen to the radio very much at all, but i have never heard anything from raising sand.

how are things with you fortuna?

Hello Fortuna! :)

No, personally I haven't heard any song from Raising Sand on the radio stations here, even though I basically & mostly listen to Triple J when possible. But so far, nothing :mellow:

Hello AMAZONIC,

Hope you had a nice holiday at Christmas (a bit late I know) :D

Yes, I find it amazing this CD is given virtually no airplay(that I've heard anyway) here!

well, i don't listen to the radio very much at all, but i have never heard anything from raising sand.

how are things with you fortuna?

I'm well, thank you slave to zep.

I listen to the radio in the car and at work, and as I said before, have only heard the one song.

I just thought it a bit strange if country singers apparently don't fit the music format, why is it okay to play Kasey Chambers? :huh:

Anyway, I'll just have to keep listening to my CD :)

I'm well, thank you slave to zep.

I listen to the radio in the car and at work, and as I said before, have only heard the one song.

I just thought it a bit strange if country singers apparently don't fit the music format, why is it okay to play Kasey Chambers? :huh:

Anyway, I'll just have to keep listening to my CD :)

yeah, i'd rather hear robert than casey !!! they probably only played raising sand once and put it away. maybe you should email them again and mention this years grammy awards ................

• 1 month later...

Australian fans...(bit of an opportunity to bump our thread), here's a review of some of our finest, which I had the good fortune to see this week.

Got along to see Australian Monsters of Rock at the Enmore Theatre on Anzac Day: Rose Tattoo, The Screaming Jets, The Angels (apologies to the opening act, The Vandolls and their fans, only made it in minutes before the Tatts - meaning dinner was a packet of chips and 2 VBs before a late gelato on King St).

I think all 3 bands saw this as being a big show and lifted for the night.

The Tatts as well as being tight, hard and loud (as one would expect), unexpectedly threw in the Anzac day trilogy of Death or Glory, (the superb...) I Wish and 1854, the first 2 being from the 1984 Southern Stars album which I have not heard anything played live from since... 1984. The latter being a standout from 2007's Blood Brothers. The rest included (very nicely) the gammut of being One Of The Black-eyed Scarred Bad Rock And Roll Boys For Outlaw Love who Can't Be Beaten. Conspicuous absences were probably Nice Boys, Remedy and Astra Wally but if they were forgone for the 3 above, fair call in my book.

Oh, and Mick Cocks' illness saw rockin' Rob Riley back in the band and sharing slide duties with newcomer Dai Pritchard.

Next up, the Jets. Dave Gleeson geniunely "humbled to be sandwiched between these 2 great bands" and as usual promoting Aussie Pub Rock to the hilt. Dave lifted by spending more time dropping himself to the floor from a great height than I've seen for a while. They also tributed the Anzacs in their own way with Blue Sashes ("Gonna be no more fucking around, we're gonna get them commies and mow 'em all down"). Did their staples and a very fine blusey Shine On. Mary Jane and the title track of their new Do-Ya show there not planning to go away yet (hopefully the CD buying / MP3 downloading, gig-going public see it the same way).

The Angels. Good show (and it's so good to see the real Angels back, although Doc's health still seems to be a bit of a struggle). They were certainly set a challenge by the lifted performance of the bands before them and probably represented themselves adequately without excelling. All the favourite songs and sing-a-longs were there, mainly from the early period (I'd love it if they were brave enough to try a tune or two from the late 90's Skin And Bone album).

(Only) they got to do a 2-song encore. I thought Can't Shake It was an interesting finisher, but was great.

So, well worth it. Great Aussie rock. The term 'Rock Royalty' was used in the promos but you can't forget Cold Chisel, INXS and maybe Midnight Oil before talking like that.

Music is all about varied taste and individual opinion, but mine is that Baby Animals, who I saw at The Metro 4 days before, was a still a performance ahead of these other great Aussie bands. I'm convinced that on that occasion I saw the best chick-singer-led hard rock band in the world. I mean ever. Suze was just on fire and Dave Leslie was deservedly paid the most genuine respect on stage by (Suze's husband) Nuno Bettencourt, as he made a guest appearance - and Nuno was himself spectacular. Hope the wheels stay attached for a new album and future tours. Oh, for the days when their set included a marvelous cover of Ramble On.

thanks for the review shadow.

how's things ?

i will be at the pink floyd show on sat night at the dee why rsl, love to see you there if you can. zeppelinlive are on at windsor on may 15, which is my birthday, but i dont think i can make it ( it's a long way )

G'day slave!

Thought everybody had disappeared :o

Hope you're OK (and I'm alright). Can't do your Pink Floyd show though but sometime - keep an eye out!

nah, i'm here almost every day :o

i'll let you know how tonight goes. oh, and i may make it to the windsor gig yet ........... :unsure:

Australian fans...(bit of an opportunity to bump our thread), here's a review of some of our finest, which I had the good fortune to see this week.

Hey Sb!! Good to see you! :)

Well, I have disappeared for a while. Today I am checking in here after how long??? :unsure: A month, maybe!

That's very nice of you to share these reviews of yours! Thanks!

In regards to concerts/gigs I must say that I have been missing out A LOT lately due to house move and a busy work schedule. :(

But, I am planning to go and see the CCE guys doing the Pink Floyd tribute at the Basement.

The last concert I went to was at the Vanguard a couple of months ago: the Robert Johnson tribute!! Oh my!! What a night!! I loved it. Pure blues. There were a few guitarists and the show was just brilliant. Thanks to John Luke Cass, the club owner who put up two great nights for us blues lovers.

It went on for almost 4 hours. Jeff Lang was there playing too. He was on fire, I tell you! What a great guitarist.

Did you manage to see the Who in the end? ;-)

Yes, the Baby Animals is an awesome band. Of course, they are! They come from Perth!! So many talented bands from there: KARNIVOOL, ESKIMO JOE, etc...Fortuna will confirm that..;-)

Hope to catch up with you again for a gig soon!

Cheers!

amazonic, i went to the cce pink floyd show on sat night at dee why rsl. nice size venue ( bigger than the basement ). we had good seats close to the front. and i won the "echoes" ( best of floyd 2cd set ) from the lucky door, bonus! the band sounded great. the same two guitarists and vocalists from the whole lotta love show we saw. they are doing the rolling stones next. i probably give that one a miss, i'm not a stones fan. zeppelin live have a few gigs coming up, i may be able to go to the windsor show on may 15th, not sure yet. you and shadow might like to check their website, grant doesn't seem to post here anymore .....

hope you are both well

love, jules xo

• 2 weeks later...
amazonic, i went to the cce pink floyd show on sat night at dee why rsl. nice size venue ( bigger than the basement ). we had good seats close to the front. and i won the "echoes" ( best of floyd 2cd set ) from the lucky door, bonus! the band sounded great. the same two guitarists and vocalists from the whole lotta love show we saw. they are doing the rolling stones next. i probably give that one a miss, i'm not a stones fan. zeppelin live have a few gigs coming up, i may be able to go to the windsor show on may 15th, not sure yet. you and shadow might like to check their website, grant doesn't seem to post here anymore .....

hope you are both well

love, jules xo

Hey Jules,

Grant's sorted their website.

http://www.zeppelinlive.com.au/

There's a gig on at Blacktown RSL 20/06.

Be good!

Reggie.

Did you manage to see the Who in the end? ;-)

Yeah, did you?

Got to the Sydney Acer Arena show on March 31st, came down from the Coast on my own (but met up with some friends for a drink later) after getting away from work in just enough time to catch half of Counting Crows, which was pretty good.

Great solid classic rock show. First time I've seen Pete Towshend and he well lived up to the legend. Presence and great windmills. Rog hadn't lost anything either. The rest of the band (including Pete's brother Simon) were excellent.

Set list:

Can’t Explain

The Seeker

Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere

Fragments

Who Are You

Behind Blue Eyes

Relay

Baba O'Riley

Eminence Front

Love Reign O'er Me

You Better You Bet

My Generation/Cry If You Want

Wont Get Fooled Again

The Kids Are Alright

Substitute

Pinball Wizard

Amazing Journey/Sparks

See Me Feel Me/Listening To You

Tea & Theatre

Funnily enough, songs I'd hung out for like WGFA didn't seem as stunning as things like BBE, 5.15, LROM, YBYB and the Tommy stuff in the encore. I thought the finish with Tea & Theatre with just the originals Pete + accoustic and Roger + mug of tea on stage was amazing as a contrast to how Tho Who would have finished in the early days!

There's a gig on at Blacktown RSL 20/06.

That's enticing!

Jules, I noticed that CCEs Pink Floyd show is on at Laycock St on May 30th but unfortunately got something else on that night :(

I'm not at all adverse to seeing their Stones' show though.

Grant's got another band going on the side.

It's called Gods Of Rock.

The set includes Zep, Sab, Whitesnake, Queen, Van Halen and so on, plus originals.

It's a bit of a secret, so mums the word, ok? ;)

Grant's got another band going on the side.

It's called Gods Of Rock.

The set includes Zep, Sab, Whitesnake, Queen, Van Halen and so on, plus originals.

It's a bit of a secret, so mums the word, ok? ;)

grant told me about that one a while back, but i wasn't sure of the name. when/where are they playing?

how about we all try to go to the blacktown show ????

Archived