help with a bow

pinky

I recently bought a violin bow and of course used it to play my guitar but it just doesnt sound right one example is it doesnt respond to the movement of my fingers it only makes a difference when I move the bow itself any ideas why its like this or how to stop it would bve greatly appreciated.

I don't think you've fully grasped the concept of bowing a guitar. It's only when you move the bow across the strings that sound is generated. It effectively replaces picking the strings. You will also need to apply rosin to the hairs, so that it can cause the necessary friction for the technique to work.

RB

I don't think you've fully grasped the concept of bowing a guitar. It's only when you move the bow across the strings that sound is generated. It effectively replaces picking the strings. You will also need to apply rosin to the hairs, so that it can cause the necessary friction for the technique to work.

RB

when I say move the bow I mean up and down the neck like back and forth and what exactly is rosin.

when I say move the bow I mean up and down the neck like back and forth and what exactly is rosin.

I'm still none the wiser what you mean, here.

Rosin is a resin that is applied to the bow hair, which in turn grips the strings as the bow is moved. Without rosin, you will be hard put to get a sound. It can be bought from music shops that supply bowed instruments.

RB

A quick Google search came up with the "Bow Shop", which claims to be the UK's #1 website for violin bows. Prices range from £29.50 to £750 ( $58.35 to $1,483, at current exchange rates). Of course, there are going to be other sources for bows, but it may well work out expensive if trying to emulate Page with the things.

RB

I think the reason you're not getting any sound is because you haven't put any rosin on the strings. I had a bow when I was a kid and the guy I bought it from thought I was crazy for using it on an electric guitar but he sold it to me for $15. When he said "Do you have any rosin?" I had no idea what he meant. The old cooter goes "You'll never get any sound without rosin" and sure enough when i got home, I bowed my guitar and nothing. Of course I know now that's because you have to rosin the bow so as the previous poster there is friction against the strings. As soon as I applied the rosin it worked fine. It just leaves your strings a little gunky there.

• 2 weeks later...
I heard something about only to use harmonics with a bow but I'm not really sure, anyone here know?

its the same as if you were picking

however, if you mean the screeches, that just kind of happens if there isnt enough pressure against the strings

its the same as if you were picking

however, if you mean the screeches, that just kind of happens if there isnt enough pressure against the strings

Not necessarily correct.

You can play a natural harmonic (with or without a bow) by placing your finger over the 5th, 7th or 12th frets, without actually pushing the string down. Just lightly place your finger over the fret.

Not necessarily correct.

You can play a natural harmonic (with or without a bow) by placing your finger over the 5th, 7th or 12th frets, without actually pushing the string down. Just lightly place your finger over the fret.

thats what i meant by same as if you were picking.. b/c its still the same frets

Rosin is a sort of lubricant, if you like. It keeps the strings from drying out. Also, did you tighten the bow? There's a little screw-type thingie on one end of the bow. If you twist it a little, It'll tighten the bow. But don't twist it too much, otherwise the bow will break. And you have to play all the guitar strings at the same time. Sorta like playing a violin, because a violin is the only instrument where you can play all the strings at the same time. Don't be surprised if the bow breaks. They'e not meant for guitars. That's why Jimmy would buy a bunch of them. Good luck!

Don't be surprised if the bow breaks. They'e not meant for guitars. That's why Jimmy would buy a bunch of them. Good luck!

I think it was Richard Cole said something along the lines of, "Do you know how hard it is to find somewhere to get a violin bow re-strung at 1am?" I believe they used to buy a whole heap of used bows, so that they could go for a few weeks without needing to get them re-haired.

I think it was Richard Cole said something along the lines of, "Do you know how hard it is to find somewhere to get a violin bow re-strung at 1am?" I believe they used to buy a whole heap of used bows, so that they could go for a few weeks without needing to get them re-haired.

I know they did. My daughter read in in an interview. She said, Jimmy said that he would buy a lot of bows before they went on tour. He did say, "A lot of cheap bows".

Not necessarily correct.

You can also get harmonics on virtually every other fret. Just pick or bow and let your finger lightly slide down the string. There's lots of them out there. They're just more subtle. For example, the beginning of Billy Idol's White Wedding. Steve Stevens makes a pass the length of the e-string. You'll hear a multitude of notes pitched in there. With practice you can summon them as you like.

Archived