AC/DC Planning 'Farewell' Tour?

Jahfin

XM's Boneyard/VH1 Classic host Eddie Trunk revealed a rumor on his "Friday Night Rocks" radio show on New York's Q104.3 FM earlier tonight (Friday, March 28) that Australian hard rock legends AC/DC will embark on a "farewell" tour later in the year once the recording sessions for their new album have been completed.

AC/DC bassist Cliff Williams told Spinner.com last month that AC/DC would enter the studio March 1 to begin recording its first new album in eight years. The web site caught up with Williams at the Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp in Los Angeles, where he said, "God I'm ready."

As for touring, however, Williams was less sure about the group's intentions. He explained, "If we go out again or when we go out again, you just never know. We've been around a long time, so we're going to get together and get in the studio and I fully expect we will (tour). I don't mean to be so negative about that."

The band itself is now international, with members scattered across the globe. Malcolm and Angus Young divide their time between Britain and Australia (with Angus also spending time in the Netherlands because he has a Dutch wife). Singer Brian Johnson and Cliff Williams are based in the U.S., while drummer Phil Rudd lives in New Zealand.

Reports surfaced in January that AC/DC was nearly finished recording its next album, but a spokesperson for the band's Australian label, Albert Records, denied the story.

AC/DC's last all-new set, "Stiff Upper Lip", came out in 2000.

I would definitely welcome some tour news, although I have read that Brian's voice is shot to ribbons nowadays and would maybe struggle to do a touring schedule. Anyone any confirmation/denial on this?

Would not mind seeing them one more time.Angus makes us older guys want to go out and buy short pants and strap on our Guitars.Hell Yeah 2008 world tour AC/DC.Rock till you drop .Hope you get to see them in England Miss Honeydripper them and Fleetwood Mac and of course Led Zeppelin

Funny, I thought it was one of their better ones. But then again, I like that it was more bluesy than anything they've ever done.

The heavier Blues influence works for me as well. I love the raw sound of cranked tube amps with little or no effects.

I have read that Brian's voice is shot to ribbons nowadays and would maybe struggle to do a touring schedule. Anyone any confirmation/denial on this?

He sounds pretty good to me in this December 07 video:

Of course, doing that night after night would be the ultimate test.

anyone heard this:

? sounds pretty cool, but the sound quality is kinda low.

Hey, that does sound good. What a great atmosphere, wish I'd of been there...sounds a riot! *insert metal sign here* :D

Wow, he does sound great there! But yeah, I think doing a one-off show versus a whole tour is the question. I have their Stiff Upper Lip tour live dvd, and he sounds pretty horrible.

I think Fly On The Wall was their last great album.

I've always felt kind of sorry for Angus because he has to go out there full throttle for every concert.

He deserves a rest.

Let's hope this last album is good.

I hope they tour...us young folks missed out on the 60s 70s and 80s. Please keep us posted. :thumbsup:

AC/DC was around in the 60s?

Thankfully, I saw them on their last tour before Bon Scott died (Cheap Trick and Nantucket were also on the bill). I think Back In Black is a masterstroke, not many bands can attest to such a comeback after losing such a vital member but I have no interest whatsoever in seeing the Brian Johnson-led version of AC/DC.

AC/DC was around in the 60s?

Thankfully, I saw them on their last tour before Bon Scott died (Cheap Trick and Nantucket were also on the bill). I think Back In Black is a masterstroke, not many bands can attest to such a comeback after losing such a vital member but I have no interest whatsoever in seeing the Brian Johnson-led version of AC/DC.

Angus and the mates were called The Valentines way back when in Sydney.....even met 'em once! :)

Angus and the mates were called The Valentines way back when in Sydney.....even met 'em once! :)

Perhaps but I was referring to AC/DC, not the name they went under prior to that. My main point being, I have no desire to see the Brian Johnson led version of the band.

• 2 weeks later...

From Billboard.com:

AC/DC Recording With Brendan O'Brien

ac_dc_03l.gif

AC/DC

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

AC/DC is recording its first studio album in eight years with producer Brendan O'Brien. No release date has yet been announced for the Columbia project.

The news came via a Web post from Supersuckers frontman Eddie Spaghetti, who said his own band's album is being delayed due to O'Brien engineer Billy Bowers' work with AC/DC. Bowers is producing the Supersuckers' as-yet-untitled disc.

"[bowers] wants to make some last-minute tweaks and, well, he can't right now," Spaghetti wrote. "He's been detained by a little Australian band called, uh, AC/DC."

AC/DC is expected to tour in support of the album, with dates to be announced.

Archived