Robert Plant interview in May 08 Q Magazine

MHD

"alzameers" - Is that a special disease associated with those who make double posts?

BTW - I don't think Robert does any zepplin songs with Allison, or with anyone else.

Edited by Knebby

Ok. Now to address the spirit of other peoples' posts, rather than their spelling and grammar.

I saw it but it didnt disturb me. He feels strongly about this. I would say more than the average person. I agree with him to a degree because I like to hear new material from established bands but I don't care enough to rant about it continously. Actually, not enough to rant at all.

Him feeling strongly about moving forward is legitimate and refreshing, not disturbing.

I see what he's saying, however lazily he puts it. It is boring for people to play everything by rote over and over just to make some pocket change, for the sake of nostalgia, if that's what they're doing. I avoid buying tickets to such shows, myself. Those folks should give it up and take a night job stocking shelves at WalMart or something.

The possible implication that Zeppelin's music is shit rankles a bit. It rankles less than it might though, since he frequently spouts the same old shit. :) (He keeps right on singing Led Zeppelin songs, doesn't he?)

So let's allow that he didn't intend to describe Zeppelin's music from the 70s as shit. Maybe what he meant is that The Rolling Stones catalog is shit; American standards sung by Rod Stewart are shit; The Eagles Greatest Hits are shit; "Dark Side of the Moon" sucks ass; Every Little Thing Sting Does is Crap, etc. (Now, who could be offended by that? :rolleyes: )

Thanks to Robert, here’s what we know isn't shit: Everly Brothers songs which are Emmy-winning shit (except as performed by the Everly Brothers in 2003, when they were the same old shit); Mississippi Delta Blues even when performed by the same musicians for 50+ years; Mali trance music no matter how many tens of thousands of times the Malinese have heard it; and "Black Dog" rearranged by Plant. Basically, anything he's genuinely moved to perform.

To put it another way, if he loves it, it’s not shit; if you love it, it just may be. Some overly sensitive souls might be insulted by that attitude. But since the people who might be insulted are those who love the same old shit, anyway, who really cares?

At least that's how I read that remark. :D

At least that's how I read that remark. :D

This is the remark you're referring to, right? :huh:

"I can't stand it when musicians want to carry on doing the same old shit"

SunChild....you can read A LOT between the lines. Actually you can read A LOT in just one line. :blink:

The possible implication that Zeppelin's music is shit rankles a bit. It rankles less than it might though, since he frequently spouts the same old shit. :) (He keeps right on singing Led Zeppelin songs, doesn't he?)

Which makes that "possible implication" pretty ridiculous, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

(Was I addressing the "spirit of your post" to your liking there?)

This is the remark you're referring to, right? :huh:

"I can't stand it when musicians want to carry on doing the same old shit"

SunChild....you can read A LOT between the lines. Actually you can read A LOT in just one line. :blink:

Well, Plant doesn't bother to clairfy which musicians he believes are carrying on doing the same old shit, does he? This leaves us free to extrapolate. Although his lack of respect for who ever they are (not to mention whoever their fans are) is pretty obvious.

Which makes that "possible implication" pretty ridiculous, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

(Was I addressing the "spirit of your post" to your liking there?)

To which musical shit is Mr Plant referring when he talks about disliking musicians who insist on playing the same old? Any ideas?

Well, Plant doesn't bother to clairfy which musicians he believes are carrying on doing the same old shit, does he? This leaves us free to extrapolate. Although his lack of respect for who ever they are (not to mention whoever their fans are) is pretty obvious.

To which musical shit is Mr Plant referring when he talks about disliking musicians who insist on playing the same old? Any ideas?

Many ideas. I'll bet most of us can think of a few we can put in that category too.

BTW "same old shit" can just mean "same old stuff" - like if you use the phrase " I'm just gonna grab all my shit and come to the car" which I heard Robert say a couple of years ago. I'm sure he wasn't talking about excrement. No, it still isn't a complimentary phrase in the context of this interview, but it isn't exactly saying that the music "is shit". Not all phrases are used literally these days, as you know.

Many ideas. I'll bet most of us can think of a few we can put in that category too.

BTW "same old shit" can just mean "same old stuff" - like if you use the phrase " I'm just gonna grab all my shit and come to the car" which I heard Robert say a couple of years ago. I'm sure he wasn't talking about excrement. No, it still isn't a complimentary phrase in the context of this interview, but it isn't exactly saying that the music "is shit". Not all phrases are used literally these days, as you know.

I agree. (Mark the date, as Lt Provenza might say.)

I get what he was saying, really... it's not the music so much as the intent with which it's played. But I'm with Maven, why even bring it up? He's bound to piss off a lot of people who happen to like ______ <--- insert band name.

I agree. (Mark the date, as Lt Provenza might say.)

I get what he was saying, really... it's not the music so much as the intent with which it's played. But I'm with Maven, why even bring it up? He's bound to piss off a lot of people who happen to like ______ <--- insert band name.

You're right, but that's just him - if he's been invited to do an interview he'll speak his mind. Also, I do think that there is a context for this particular remark - the interview was to publicise his projects with Alison Krauss, and I guess he has had a lot of people comment on how they never expected to see him doing work like that. I'm thinking that, to him, this comment is something of an explanation for those people - a reminder to those of us who know him and a pointer for new fans, stating that he likes to be diverse and face challenges.

MHO. B):beer:

I can relate to what SunChild is saying, Robert has continued to perform LZ songs.

IMHO only he has performed Whole Lotta Love to death. I don't even want to hear him ever sing it again. THAT is the same old shit, or "stuff" however you want to "say" it.

Having Alison sing When The Levee Breaks is again...the same old shit. (stuff).

He can say ..well it's an OLD blues song...but really it is the same ol stuff...from Zep.

He has ridden on the Zep wagon for some time now.

I don't see Jonsey "reworking" Zep songs to play.

I actually want to hear the same old shit from his solo years, more than the Zep years. :wub:

:)

I can relate to what SunChild is saying, Robert has continued to perform LZ songs.

IMHO only he has performed Whole Lotta Love to death. I don't even want to hear him ever sing it again. THAT is the same old shit, or "stuff" however you want to "say" it.

Having Alison sing When The Levee Breaks is again...the same old shit. (stuff).

He can say ..well it's an OLD blues song...but really it is the same ol stuff...from Zep.

He has ridden on the Zep wagon for some time now.

I don't see Jonsey "reworking" Zep songs to play.

I actually want to hear the same old shit from his solo years, more than the Zep years. :wub:

:)

JPJs set list from LA 2001

01. Zooma

02. Leafy Meadow

03. The Smile Of Your

04. That's The Way

05. Steel Away

06. When The Levee Breaks

07. B. Fingers

08. Freedom Song

09. Hoediddle

10. Tidal

11. Black Dog

Spot your deliberate mistake :)

Jimmy has also filled his sets with Zeppelin songs when given the chance. To be fair - they are all entitled to ride that wagon.

Biut I do agree Hotplant, that there are a lot of solo songs I'd like to hear him do. Actually when I once said that I had heard WLL a million times I was chastised by someone who said they had never had the chance to hear it live and would kill to - so you can't win! ;)

Edited by Knebby

Jimmy has also filled his sets with Zeppelin songs when given the chance. To be fair - they are all entitled to ride that wagon.

Biut I do agree Hotplant, that there are a lot of solo songs I'd like to hear him do.

I would share that too. Ss much as I enjoy seeing the man live and I have seen him a few times with SS I have long thought that given his solo stuff pre SS that the should do some of it live.

There is such good stuff in his repetoire that he could do. B)

JPJs set list from LA 2001

01. Zooma

02. Leafy Meadow

03. The Smile Of Your

04. That's The Way

05. Steel Away

06. When The Levee Breaks

07. B. Fingers

08. Freedom Song

09. Hoediddle

10. Tidal

11. Black Dog

Spot your deliberate mistake :)

:huh:

"Deliberate" ??

My mistake....I haven't actually seen Jonsey on the road. :bagoverhead::bagoverhead:

It just seems he likes to play more of his own stuff, and is so into bluegrass now, he doesn't really Have to dig into the Zep bag...so much.