To eveyone that has not seen Zeppelin live

ally

A somewhat recent discovery of mine: You'd be AMAZED at how much gas can be in the tank of a 60 year old.

Not suprised at all :D

My gripe is around the price of these legends. I could not believe that the tickets for Eric Clapton and Tom Petty were $880 for front row seats. To sit on grass it was $90. Even though I would love to see old Eric. Its just too high a price tag!

My gripe is around the price of these legends. I could not believe that the tickets for Eric Clapton and Tom Petty were $880 for front row seats. To sit on grass it was $90. Even though I would love to see old Eric. Its just too high a price tag!

I wouldn't pay that either. The Page and Plant tours were actually quite reasonably priced

Is high, but it's worth it.

I go to warm-up gigs, more or less a dress rehearsal, often and tickets for some of these bands are a fraction of the regular tour prices and they're in intimate settings.

I'll be paying $25 for a gen. admission ticket, where I can sit in the front row because I'll show up early, and the tickets throughout the tour are upwards of $300 and more.

It works out great to be near the studios these bands record and rehearse at.

Oh yeah, Led Zeppelin were great live for the most part, to be on topic. And their ticket prices were about the price of an album. Something sinister has happened through the years regarding prices and this "golden circle" seating scam.

Maybe a better way of getting my point across, would be to ask, Do you think that you are being denied a chance to see the band because we have put them on such a high pedestal ?

As you can see , I don't start too many threads :D

No way! Every band has a following that puts them on a high pedestal. I would think that is feeling we have towards our gods would make them wanting to play even more. After all three of the guys would like to tour, It's just Robert thats holding them back, and not to pick on Robert because he's on a career high. It sure would make this womens dreams come true!!

$3.80 for a Zep ticket in 72.

Ah the good old days.

Don't blame the artists, blame the promoters they set the prices.

They wouldn't be on a pedestal if there were lots of other bands around like them, doing what they did then now. The old saying....once it's been done.

Hendrix

J Joplin

Zep

Dylan

Marley

et al.....

i think the main thing with Zep, which puts them apart from anyone else (genuinely) is;

a.)The vast range of music and constant change. They werent scared.

b.)Peter grant!!

No way! Every band has a following that puts them on a high pedestal. I would think that is feeling we have towards our gods would make them wanting to play even more. After all three of the guys would like to tour, It's just Robert thats holding them back, and not to pick on Robert because he's on a career high. It sure would make this womens dreams come true!!

It would make all of our dreams come true. I'm glad that you don't view the "Old War Story's " as a negative

Nothing to do with Pedestals... Robert just obsessed with Alison ... Happens all the time just ask John <g>

I still think they're coming by the way.

What else am I supposed to do? Live without hope? NEVER

We all need hope. Although most will disagree with me, I too believe that they will get back together for something pertinent. I'm just not sure what that will be :D

I never saw them live, unfortunately, but I certainly can't blame anyone who already saw them in concert for putting them on a pedestal- and- in turn blame that for them not touring! It's Robert's fault for not touring anyway, not Jimmy's or JPJ or Jason's. The 3 of them (on pedestals or not) would do it in a heartbeat. Robert stands on a pedestal apart from the others, and right now he's not sharing with anyone but Alison Kraus.

I get to see him sing with Alison in NYC in June. I'll be satisfied with that. So if Robert doesn't ever agree to tour, at least I will be able to say I saw Robert Plant live.

I never saw them live, unfortunately, but I certainly can't blame anyone who already saw them in concert for putting them on a pedestal- and- in turn blame that for them not touring! It's Robert's fault for not touring anyway, not Jimmy's or JPJ or Jason's. The 3 of them (on pedestals or not) would do it in a heartbeat. Robert stands on a pedestal apart from the others, and right now he's not sharing with anyone but Alison Kraus.

I get to see him sing with Alison in NYC in June. I'll be satisfied with that. So if Robert doesn't ever agree to tour, at least I will be able to say I saw Robert Plant live.

Well, he did have that prior commitment and I think it would have been totally wrong to have just got up and left so to speak. It's just my opinion but I do think that RP at the moment, feels the weight of expectation when it comes to Zeppelin for whatever reason, more than the other members.

Well, he did have that prior commitment and I think it would have been totally wrong to have just got up and left so to speak. It's just my opinion but I do think that RP at the moment, feels the weight of expectation when it comes to Zeppelin for whatever reason, more than the other members.

Maybe that has to do with being the "frontman", It was a different time back then. A younger, more pompous Robert Plant with the Golden God mentality has given way over the years to a more gentle, sober, adult, aging Rock star , who has been on a spiritual journey for many years now. I think it is a slide backwards for him to be Led Zeppelin again (especially for a worldwide tour). Robert, being the always forward type, LZ is history for him in many ways, and probably there is alot of pain associated with his 11 year tenure. His child's death, a bad car accident, Bonzo's death, the death of his marriage. He's not the type to re-visit old times for very long. Jimmy doesn't have that mindset. Zep is his entire life, regardless of whatever else he's done. A few gigs here and there- sure- Robert can handle that, as long as he can justify in his mind for a good cause-like the Ahmet tribute.

Maybe that has to do with being the "frontman", It was a different time back then. A younger, more pompous Robert Plant with the Golden God mentality has given way over the years to a more gentle, sober, adult, aging Rock star , who has been on a spiritual journey for many years now. I think it is a slide backwards for him to be Led Zeppelin again (especially for a worldwide tour). Robert, being the always forward type, LZ is history for him in many ways, and probably there is alot of pain associated with his 11 year tenure. His child's death, a bad car accident, Bonzo's death, the death of his marriage. He's not the type to re-visit old times for very long. Jimmy doesn't have that mindset. Zep is his entire life, regardless of whatever else he's done. A few gigs here and there- sure- Robert can handle that, as long as he can justify in his mind for a good cause-like the Ahmet tribute.

You forgot one thing, the death of his voice, not that he doesn't have one now, but its drastically different from the way he used to sound. For example, the O2 reunion, they tuned down to D in order to accommodate his present range, and although he did a great job, songs like Rock n Roll, Misty Mountain Hop, SIBLY and Ramble On really expose what he has lost, and its not just range, its tone.

I find it more than interesting to recently read that Plant said he was basically over Led Zeppelin by 1977, oddly the same time frame his voice had permanently changed.

That has alway's been my impression of RP. I have no issue with any decision he chooses to make regarding Zep. However, without new material I think the band would in fact become the "Las Vegas Revue" that Robert does have issues with. I gotta say that I'm with him on that.

You forgot one thing, the death of his voice, not that he doesn't have one now, but its drastically different from the way he used to sound. For example, the O2 reunion, they tuned down to D in order to accommodate his present range, and although he did a great job, songs like Rock n Roll, Misty Mountain Hop, SIBLY and Ramble On really expose what he has lost, and its not just range, its tone.

I find it more than interesting to recently read that Plant said he was basically over Led Zeppelin by 1977, oddly the same time frame his voice had permanently changed.

While his voice is not quite the same, there is a quality that is unmistakably THE Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin, to this day.

I love the Robert Plant of 1979, esp at Knebworth, whether he 'was over it' or not by that time, I think his voice was awesome. He looked like a man or father that went through the death of a young child. He had a seriousness about him that I noticed during Knebworth footage. A seriousness that wasn't there in previous years.

I'd like to know where you read that. Please, can you provide a link?

His voice was alway's changing. You can notice that on every tour. I really don't think this is as big an issue as it's being made to be. He was fine at O2. I would have to say that a full fledged tour would challenge that but, I think that would be a challenge for JP and JPJ as well.

While his voice is not quite the same, there is a quality that is unmistakably THE Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin, to this day.

I love the Robert Plant of 1979, esp at Knebworth, whether he 'was over it' or not by that time, I think his voice was awesome. He looked like a man or father that went through the death of a young child. He had a seriousness about him that I noticed during Knebworth footage. A seriousness that wasn't there in previous years.

I'd like to know where you read that. Please, can you provide a link?

[Talking about the issues surrounding the ’77 tour]…..For me, then, it didn’t really work from ’77 onwards. However, there were moments from Knebworth that were spectacular. But the price you have to pay to get to those moments, I didn’t think it was worth it anymore. It wasn’t my idea of constructive open-heart surgery.

Its in the News forum under the title "Uncut Magazine Interviews".

I totally agree, and thats why I still love him.

That has alway's been my impression of RP. I have no issue with any decision he chooses to make regarding Zep. However, without new material I think the band would in fact become the "Las Vegas Revue" that Robert does have issues with. I gotta say that I'm with him on that.

Yes, I agree. It would be keeping in line with Robert's forward-thinking to have new and fresh material to tour with.

I would think his former band mates are putting pressure on him just by the sheer fact that it is well-known how eager Jimmy Page has been to get the show on the road. By the 3 of them working on new material w/o Robert is like a 'hurry up and get Alison out of system already! We've got work to do!'

Yes, I agree. It would be keeping in line with Robert's forward-thinking to have new and fresh material to tour with.

I would think his former band mates are putting pressure on him just by the sheer fact that it is well-known how eager Jimmy Page has been to get the show on the road. By the 3 of them working on new material w/o Robert is like a 'hurry up and get Alison out of system already! We've got work to do!'

I hope so :)

Seeing them now would never compare to the 70's so I'm not upset. I kinda like my memories of them just fine.

I like my memories too. Anything now would have to be fresh. If it isn't then I say forget it

I never saw them live; I was 11 the last time they toured the US; but I was definitely a fan for several years before 1980 and can remember the release of the last couple of albums.

Not only were they magical and legendary in the 70s, but the 70s were such a snapshot in time with regard to rock music in general. I've tried explaining it to my children what a different time it was musically, but can't seem to explain it very well; it's more a feeling.

I agree that there's a special magic about Led Zeppelin that no other band has matched; and the fact that they are being enthusiastically talked about by fans and in the press so much now seems to indicate that people are seeking that magic. They seem to be slowly building this buzz.

I would love to see them play; if they all want to. If it doesn't happen, I respect their decision and hope they will continue working on individual projects. I would love to hear new material. I would welcome a matured presence and sound, influenced by what they've enjoyed working on since disbanding; and wouldn't expect a repeat of what they did in the 70s. So, even though I never saw them live, I wouldn't expect to see now exactly what everyone saw back then, if that makes sense. The seasoned version would be fine by me; if they so choose, that is. :)

Archived