Walking Into Clarksdale - Rediscovered

I was over the moon when I read Albini would be producing the studio album. It's  such a shock to hear Robert unannounced on the radio when you haven't heard him in a while and you realize just who you're listening to. "A golden horse" was what was playing, and my announcement that the album dropped. I was not amused. Unamused listener. Went to the local shows anyway. Excellent choice.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I always loved "Walking Into Clarksdale" and ever will. Great songs and the whole guitar-army of Jimmy on duty.
Sad to hear Producer Steve Albini died yesterday by heart-attack.

Clarksdale a seriously flawed masterpiece.....a

masterpiece in that it's the last great guitar album

....Jimmy SHINES.....only one or two memorable solos

but in a big picture sense his playing is magical......it's 

seriously flawed in that NOT ONE OTHER MUSICIAN

is anywhere NEAR him on it, Leo included (actually 

Michael Lee is surprisingly good on Burning Up)

“The Window” b-side to “Most High” cd single and “Whiskey From The Glass” bonus track on a Japanese import CD 💿 were great songs, too. 

R😎

This album has aged very well in my opinion. I revisit it a couple times a year, Robert’s lyrics are brilliant, what Jimmy chose to play, the subtleties, his guitar tone was fantastic. Blue Train should bring a tear to any parents, or humans eyes if the lyrics are something that are paid attention to. It was a great mixture, Michael was one of the best drummers in the world. Charlie was a professional, and the tour was one of my favorite music experiences ever. Certainly some of that had to do with my absolute obsession of those two men at that time in my life. 

It was also a great break up album, something that helped me through some tough times in my life. A lot could be made of Steve, and how he was picked, and some of his suggestions, but Plant and Page were absolutely the bosses in the studio, interesting that Page didn’t produce it, or Page and Plant. I wonder how much of that had to do with Mr John Paul Jones not being in the studio with them. I am sure that is just speculative, but I think the album was the right choice at that time and the two men who were part of the greatest band in the history of music created something that still sounds fresh today, it is also very nostalgic for several of us Plant and Page fans. 

Jimmy Page Pays Tribute to Steve Albini: He ‘Leaves a Real Legacy' (msn.com)

Jimmy Page Pays Tribute to Steve Albini: He ‘Leaves a Real Legacy'

"I was very sad to hear of Steve Albini's passing this week," Page wrote in an Instagram post. "Robert and I worked with him in 1997 on our album, Walking Into Clarksdale - a record I'm still really proud of.

"I had a strong connection with Steve, we all did on that album, and he came with such pedigree and experience as one of the world's leading mixers and audio engineers," Page continued. "He loved working with analogue tape, in fact his own band was called Shellac. He was so passionate and knowledgeable, really dedicated to the cause during our recording sessions at RAK and EMI Number Two Studio at Abbey Road."

On 5/16/2024 at 7:22 AM, Coda.S said:

Walking into Clarksdale - a timeless masterpiece, indeed!

Perfect. I find that the album has aged very well, it was ahead of its time. I appreciate it more today than when it was released. It has gained more meaning for me personally, it has helped me through tough times in life, and I have enjoyed introducing it to those that mean something to me in life. I would agree, “a timeless masterpiece” is the perfect description and definition.