Foreign phrase Robert used in a couple of concerts

SilverVishnu

I think he used that (Arabic?) phrase as a greeting to tell us Peace/Thank you.

Edited to add: I just read Steve's post - it might not be Arabic then.

It sounds like he delivered a traditional Arabic (Muslim) greeting with an Anglo dialect.

شكرا لكم والسلام

Thank you and peace.

كوم تستخدم للتعبير عن الحزن 'السلام

Waly kum a' salaam

Kum used to express the sadness' peace.

الحزن

kum

Grief

سلام

Salam

Peace

سلام ل ا ش ا ليأت كوم

Peace told Middle East North Africa lei Kum

Source, Google

Got it - he pronounced it with his regional "accent". I can't remember any other examples: did Robert use any other Arabic (or other language) phrases on stage during the LZ years?

Nothing comes to mind. Loads of words and phrases post-1980, of course.

yes it is pease with you ... one says' Al Salamu Aleikum'... then the other person answers" wa alaikum al salam"

Thank you! :)

"Bon Soir" -- Robert Plant, Baton Rogue, LA, LSU Assembly Center, February 28, 1975

French. English translation: "Good Evening".

Thanks.

Didn't he throw in a few words in Welsh every now and then?

I'd love to know what the Welsh words were and what they mean. :D

On occasion he did explain the proper pronunciation of "Bron-Y-Aur".

If I remember, it's "Brom-Rar"

During the '77 tour and later, although also sometimes before, he would say, "Thank you very much, tar!" (with the "tar" sounding like "ta"). At least, the way I remember it being explained, is that it is spelled tar, and it means thank you. So, he was being redundant, I guess.

I was told it was common in Northern England and the Midlands...I could be totally wrong, however.

During the '77 tour and later, although also sometimes before, he would say, "Thank you very much, tar!" (with the "tar" sounding like "ta"). At least, the way I remember it being explained, is that it is spelled tar, and it means thank you. So, he was being redundant, I guess.

I was told it was common in Northern England and the Midlands...I could be totally wrong, however.

And to think I thought he was acknowledging to the crew the short break needed to allow Jimmy to switch guitars. :lol:

Traditional Semetic greeting of Jews and Arabs, with slight linguistic variation.

In Arabic: As Salam Alaykum "Peace be upon you." The response is "Wa Alaykum As Salam". "And on you be peace."

In Hebrew: Shalom aleichem "Peace be upon you". The response is "Aleichem shalom". "And on you be peace."

Almost identical.

Oh, and if you're a Catholic: "Pax vobiscum". :lol:

Robert actually mispronounces it, or it's a regional variation. In Welsh, the pronunciation is more like "Bronneriar", with a rolled "r".

"Ta" is indeed "thanks", and is indeed redundant when following "Thank you very much", but with a midlands accent could sound like "tar", much like the pronunciation of "America" as "Americer", depending on where it falls in a sentence. Anyway, yeah, he's just putting his English stamp on the greeting. And anytime I've seen it written by my English friends, it's "Ta", not "Tar".

Robert actually mispronounces it, or it's a regional variation. In Welsh, the pronunciation is more like "Bronneriar", with a rolled "r".

"Ta" is indeed "thanks", and is indeed redundant when following "Thank you very much", but with a midlands accent could sound like "tar", much like the pronunciation of "America" as "Americer", depending on where it falls in a sentence. Anyway, yeah, he's just putting his English stamp on the greeting. And anytime I've seen it written by my English friends, it's "Ta", not "Tar".

^ Correct!

"Ta" is predominantly used by us Northern types, too. Ta muchly! B)

That's right! I think on one of my '75 boots, I remember him saying "Bron-a-rie-ar" or something like that...

Oh, and if you're a Catholic: "Pax vobiscum". :lol:

Et cum spiritu tuo :D

And not just if you're Catholic :rolleyes: I'm a proudly apostate lapsed bokononist universalist agnostic myself, but I love Latin :hysterical:

:wave: The one and only Veronica Q :wave:

:kiss:V :wub:J :kiss:

Archived