Vintage Photographs

Jahfin

How dare you!!! You are ALWAYS correcting everybody and scrutinizing everything on this forum. I catch you making a stupid remark and you can't handle the correction. You are the one who needs the tape.

Thought maybe you could use it to patch the hole in your Ian Anderson blow-up doll as it appears you must not be gettin' any lately.

Thought maybe you could use it to patch the hole in your Ian Anderson blow-up doll as it appears you must not be gettin' any lately.

Whenever you lose one of your many battles, you resort to homophobic insults laced with sexual innuendo. For another example go to the Guns and Roses thread. You seem to have a thing for the Drive-By-Truckers and there are five of them. And we all know what truckers rhymes with.

Whenever you lose one of your many battles, you resort to homophobic insults laced with sexual innuendo. For another example go to the Guns and Roses thread. You seem to have a thing for the Drive-By-Truckers and there are five of them. And we all know what truckers rhymes with.

I know what Shonna Tucker rhymes with...

2373267930_014f92113d.jpg

Best goddamned band out thar today! Huh huh. Them Damn Drive By Truckers, makes my mullet curl! :wub:

Not sure what you're implying there but if you're grouping the Drive-By Truckers in with "mullet-friendly" bands you've just shown how totally fucking clueless you are.

Exactly, but then again, I could care less. Now you've insulted me first, but I'm not gonna continue.

Goes to show you haven't heard one fucking note of the Truckers' music, much less seen them in concert or you would know they are nowhere near a "mullet friendly" band. As for insulting who "first", I didn't say a thing about "mullets", that would be you.

1012LED_ZEP_narrowweb__300x346,0.jpg

Best goddamned band out thar today! Huh huh. Them Damn Drive By Truckers, makes my mullet curl! :wub:

I thought this was very funny. Couple of years ago I used a similar comment regarding Blackfoot. The resident chat room Blackfoot freak took great offense at my humor. BTW, Drive-By Truckers are a mullet band..trust me.

Exactly, but then again, I could care less. Now you've insulted me first, but I'm not gonna continue.

Your goal should be to illicit a homophobic response from our friend. That way you know you've truly irritated him. Watch here comes a "Why don't you remove (insert male rock star's name here) penis from your (insert orifice of user JethroTull here) before you start talking about mullet bands".

I thought this was very funny. Couple of years ago I used a similar comment regarding Blackfoot. The resident chat room Blackfoot freak took great offense at my humor. BTW, Drive-By Truckers are a mullet band..trust me.

Goes to show you don't know a thing about the DBTs or their audience.

Yet another site with some cool old photos, here's one most everyone here ought to like:

More here:

1930s-40s in Color

Some really great photos there!

Here's a couple of fav photos of mine:

This one's called "The Kiss by the Hôtel de Ville" and is very well known. It's been a lot of debating if it's a set up or taken in the moment.

06kiss1.span.jpg

This is quite famous as well, a train that been running through one of the walls of Gare Montparnasse, Paris, 1895.

train_wreck.jpg

A couple more sites:

The George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and Film and the Institute of Creative Photography collaboratively maintain and contribute to Photomuse, a research resource for the history of photography. One of the richest photography resources on the Web, Photomuse features online exhibitions, a chronology of the evolution of photography complete with visuals and historical information, as well as an image database where visitors to the site may perform simple keyword searches or use the advanced option to target specific fields.

Photo Muse

------------------------------------------------

Launched in 2005, the NYPL Digital Gallery is one of the largest open-access image databases available on the Internet. Featuring more than 600,000 digital images, content covers a variety of subjects from the arts to science and technology and includes all kinds of primary materials, such as manuscripts, maps, photographs, prints, restaurant menus, sheet music covers, and much more from the special collections of the NYPL Research Libraries and the Mid-Manhattan Library Picture Collection. The Digital Gallery offers basic and advanced searches and also allows users to browse alphabetized lists of names, subjects, and libraries. As an added enhancement, users may select and store around 50 or more images for later viewing using the “selections” option.

New York Public Library Digital Gallery

I was born in the old USSR...so here's a few vintage Soviet pics from the family's private collection:

lasn.jpg

post war Comrades, circa 1945 (The brunette is my grandmother RIP).

lastsc.jpg

The Smolensk Jewish school, class of 1938

(the girl below the title of the year is my grandmother, one of the few in this picture who survived the war).

lcan.jpg

May 1st in Brest, Byelorussia circa 1960 (my grandmother with my mother)

lastscan-2.jpg

A soviet gym class, circa 1960

My uncle's brother - Bob Rothberg. He was a Tin Pan Alley songwriter during the 1930's. He wrote songs for the Popeye cartoons. A 4 DVD set (1933-1938) was released last summer which included many of his songs. An additional 2 DVD set (1938-1939 or 40) is being released in June 08 and included at least one of his songs. Other than the Popeye stuff, two of his more notable songs were "It Ain't Right" recorded most recently by Nancy Anderson a New Yorker who specialized in music of the 1930's and "Night Wind" recorded most recently by Janet Klein a Californian who also specialized in old music. "Night Wind" was also recorded by Ella Fitzgerald and The Benny Goodman Orchestra.

He died at the age of 36 in 1938. The cause of death according to his death certificate was lung cancer. Notice the pipe in his suit pocket.

If you google his name you will get loads of hits.....

My wikipedia page devoted to him....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Rothberg

And this photo....

34hhs2f.jpg

Archived