Rock fashion: now and then

Didn't Jimmy & Robert make their rounds to Eastern Europe in the late 90s? Don't feel bad...Zeppelin made it to the East Coast plenty of times, but by the time I was finally old enough to go to their concerts, Bonzo died three weeks before the scheduled shows in Largo, MD. Needless to say, there were a lot of depressed 15 year olds in September, 1980! Had their pics on my walls for years and years, missed 'em by 3 weeks, and I'm still not over it. It's like seeing your pet dog get run over before your very eyes. You never forget it... :(

Yup, I was 15 and a couple of weeks away as well from the 1st date on the tour scheduled for Olympic Stadium in Montreal. Would have been my first out of town concert to attend. I guess a bad case of what is and what should never be.38198_lg.jpg

Yup, I was 15 and a couple of weeks away as well from the 1st date on the tour scheduled for Olympic Stadium in Montreal. Would have been my first out of town concert to attend.

I guess a bad case of what is and what should never be.38198_lg.jpg

:lol::lol:

The 70s had its share of fashion clunkers, but it was mostly dead-on in terms of overall elegance - Ossie Clark's designs and the stuff from Biba are still gorgeous today and piss all over the better 80s stuff.

Have to admit I was a bit mortified by the return of 80s style. Ugly, clunky and unflattering - it's just unfortunate that it took hindsight to see it initially. Revive the better aspects of the music for sure (and there WAS a lot of good stuff in the 80s, if you were willing to look beyond the obvious) but consign the rara skirts, legwarmers, plastic beads and off-the-shoulder sweaters to the great Chelsea Girl store in the sky where they belong.

I'm sure many of us who wore the stuff first time around were secretly relieved once the 90s were afoot and the 'look' began to change. I know I was!

One thing I miss about 80s style, however, is the tribal element - the punks, the goths, the New Romantics, the metallers, the 80s glam and sleaze rockers, the indie kids and so on. You could tell what a person listened to and who they hung out with by what he or she wore. The distinctions just aren't that clear today and have arguably disappeared altogether - instead, mainstream style seems to be a fusion of everything.

Still, to those who hate the current love affair with the 80s, be patient - a 90s revival should happen within the next few years, and the style of that decade was heavily influenced by the 60s and 70s.

Archived